CTC website

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jinx, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Jinx

    Jinx Guest

    I've just tried to look at the CTC website at www.ctc.org.uk and got a message "The website you are
    trying to reach is not available at this address or does not exist." have I got the address wrong or
    has something happened?

    rgds

    Malcolm

    Tags:

  2. >I've just tried to look at the CTC website at www.ctc.org.uk and got a message "The website you are
    >trying to reach is not available at this address or does not exist." have I got the address wrong
    >or has something happened?

    I got that earlier. I've emailed CTC (no response yet) to ask if this is an April Fool, have they
    been hacked etc., etc..

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > >I've just tried to look at the CTC website at www.ctc.org.uk and got a message "The website you
    > >are trying to reach is not available at this address or does not exist." have I got the address
    > >wrong or has something happened?
    >
    > I got that earlier. I've emailed CTC (no response yet) to ask if this is
    an
    > April Fool, have they been hacked etc., etc..

    I have been conversing with the CTC on a different matter. They are meant to be launching a new web
    site about now. Originally it was planned to go live today -- the last I heard it will be 'later'
    this week.

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I have been conversing with the CTC on a different matter. They are meant to be launching a new
    >> web site about now. Originally it was planned to go live today -- the last I heard it will be
    >> 'later' this week.

    > Another CTC IT success story then ;-)

    Be fair - its tough having to write html on a cycle computer.

    Tony

    -- http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  5. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Be fair - its tough having to write html on a cycle computer.

    They might do less harm if they dedicated themselves to the task :(

  6. In news:[email protected], Tony W <[email protected]> typed:

    > They might do less harm if they dedicated themselves to the task :(

    Frankly their effort and handling of this is *appalling*; and the worst part of this is that their
    web designers have *hard coded* the misleading message into the interim page; which could be read to
    be that the CTC has even *gone bust!*

    OK I guess they have other comms channels active so the website isn't classed as
    "business-critical"; but I would have used it as a main point to find phone numbers if I wanted to
    speak to them urgently - ok I could use the directory enquiries, but one would expect a
    forward-thinking organisation to have *some* form of web presence

    I fully understand that IT projects can go wrong; and that there may have been unforseen problems in
    rolling out the new site. Perhaps they intended to deploy a site generated by a database engine of
    some sort which has run into problems (although this is hardly rocket science these days) and this
    has gone pear-shaped - but surely they should have had a *backup plan?*

    Even an interim mini site with 'phone, fax and e-mail (although it appears they ignore this) would
    be better than nothing. This shows an attitude of "sod the members/customers, they can wait"

    This isn't a hobby site either, this is a site of a *major* public sector NGO, presumably funded by
    *members money*.

    Whoever cocked this up is damaging a brand image painstakingly built up over 100+ years. I for one
    am now sceptical of joining CTC if they are going to piss members subs up the wall on failed IT
    projects! (it appears from other posts this isn't the first time something like this has happened.)

    Maybe they have done good work in the past and are still doing so; just that the delay to the
    website prevents one finding out further info! Perhaps one of the "older" people who has dealt with
    the CTC may be able to enlighten me on their *current* work (I know about their early stuff like the
    warnings on dangerous hills) and whether it is worth joining them.

    Alex

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 20:44:10 +0100, "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Frankly their effort and handling of this is *appalling*

    Not really their fault, Alex - they moved hosting firms and the old hosting company told them that
    the disruption would be brief and temporary, and that it was unavoidable. Actually the old firm
    should have kept CTC's server in place for the three days it takes DNS changes to propagate. We pay
    them for their knowledge of cycling, not computers.

    What is far worse is that the new site is 100% Flash so is unreadable by visually impaired users
    with screen readers - like one R G Bristow of Reading, a CTC member and cycle mechanic.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  8. Thus spake "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>

    > What is far worse is that the new site is 100% Flash so is unreadable by visually impaired users
    > with screen readers - like one R G Bristow of Reading, a CTC member and cycle mechanic.

    Bob is a brilliant mechanic and a lovely man...

  9. Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
    >What is far worse is that the new site is 100% Flash so is unreadable by visually impaired users
    >with screen readers - like one R G Bristow of Reading, a CTC member and cycle mechanic.

    It is? It seems to work for me in not just Mozilla (without any Flash support) but also w3m (a text
    browser) - there's a Flash navigation element, but it's unnecessary.

    Of course, I can't tell if the apparently missing pages are just empty or if they are broken in
    non-Flash browsers.

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:45:16 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bob is a brilliant mechanic and a lovely man...

    Indeed he is, and It will be my pleasure to pilot for him on his rather splendid George Longstaff
    tandem on Sunday week, as part of a rota which includes Brian, who I'm told is the current Glorious
    Leader of the CTC :)

    How come you know Bob? Are you an ex-Reddingensian? I have a feeling I ought to remember...

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  11. Mal

    Mal Guest

    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:45:16 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Bob is a brilliant mechanic and a lovely man...
    >
    > Indeed he is, and It will be my pleasure to pilot for him on his rather splendid George Longstaff
    > tandem on Sunday week, as part of a rota which includes Brian, who I'm told is the current
    > Glorious Leader of the CTC :)
    >
    > How come you know Bob? Are you an ex-Reddingensian? I have a feeling I ought to remember...

    Tis a small world . . . .I was directed to Bob Bristowe yesterday and he is now (hopefully) relacing
    my wheels. That is, as soon as the spiokes arrive.

    What I need to know is . . . . well, I can spend 1/2 hour in my garage trying to find a spanner -
    and I can see. How on earth does Bob manage? I did ask, but we ended up talking about bikes instead.

    Mal

  12. Thus spake "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>

    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:45:16 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Bob is a brilliant mechanic and a lovely man...

    > Indeed he is, and It will be my pleasure to pilot for him on his rather splendid George Longstaff
    > tandem on Sunday week, as part of a rota which includes Brian, who I'm told is the current
    > Glorious Leader of the CTC :)

    > How come you know Bob? Are you an ex-Reddingensian? I have a feeling I ought to remember...

    I haven't lived in Reading, but went on a Central London CTC Christmas (on the Welsh borders) trip a
    few years ago, which had a large Reading contingent. I think I also encountered him when the Home
    Counties Rally was in Pangbourne.

    I worked at Hillingdon Hospital for 3 years & this is well on the way to Reading from The Big Smoke.

  13. Guy Chapman

    Guy Chapman Guest

    "Mal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > What I need to know is . . . . well, I can spend 1/2 hour in my garage trying to find a spanner -
    > and I can see. How on earth does Bob manage? I did ask, but we ended up talking about bikes
    > instead.

    As with most blind folks, Bob has a good memory, and is methodical about where he puts things. His
    wheels are excellent - after well over 5,000 miles of potholed roads the 700c Mavic T221s on my
    tourer were less than 1mm out of true, and it took me under five minutes with a spoke key to
    straighten them. I always have Bob retension the wheels on any new bike, as machine-built wheels go
    out in five minutes or less. He also fettled my son's bike after Berkshire Cycles (spit, spit)
    repeatedly failed.

    Guy

  14. Welcome back Guy....

    In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > temporary, and that it was unavoidable. Actually the old firm should have kept CTC's server in
    > place for the three days it takes DNS changes to propagate. We pay them for their knowledge of
    > cycling, not computers.

    That's true - a lot of the problem was the the old firm (who put a bogus "page not found" message on
    the site) - but one would have thought that some pressure could have been put by CTC on the former
    ISP to at least deliver a page stating the CTC site was being moved and provide details of other
    customer contact channels (such as fax, phone, snail mail). It wouldn't have hurt to do that, but I
    suppose when they lost the contract they thought "sod CTC"

    I appreciate though CTCs core activity isn't IT - but it looks like they needed to be a bit more
    assertive with those who *are* providing the technical services to them, or to find people with
    technical knowledge

    What had also annoyed me more was the number of reports about e-mails not having been answered and
    allegations that this was normal for CTC. It may have been a particularly bad time for them, but it
    appears that CTC do not seem geared up to dealing with communicating with customers or potential
    customers via the Internet!

    I was actually considering joining them but had been put off by this débacle. Naturally I was
    thinking - what happens if I join and something goes wrong? will I just be ignored? I am however
    aware of their history (from reading Richards Bicycle book in its various incarnations) and know of
    the good work CTC have done for cycling!

    I did think though "I'll wait till Guy is back - he knows the score about CTC ;) "

    Are they planning to improve their customer responsiveness (and sort out the accessibility issue you
    mentioned)?

    What do you get for the 30 quid?

    Alex

  15. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:23:33 +0100, "Mr [email protected] \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What had also annoyed me more was the number of reports about e-mails not having been answered and
    >allegations that this was normal for CTC. It may have been a particularly bad time for them, but it
    >appears that CTC do not seem geared up to dealing with communicating with customers or potential
    >customers via the Internet!

    I've never experienced that, myself - they've always been prompt and informative in reply to my
    emails. I have had a couple of lengthy exchanges with Chris Juden, CTC Technical Officer - and I
    know the Chairman, so have his private email anyway :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.