Cycle track plans rejected

"naked_draughtsman" <[email protected]> of http://groups.google.com
wrote:

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/5282710.stm
>
>"Safety fears have prompted councillors to dismiss a plan to run a
>cycle track along the promenade in Llandudno."
>
>Interesting that it is ok to do this in Colwyn Bay just down the road
>but not in Llandudno where the promenade is far, far wider!

On the other hand the article quotes county councillor Philip Evans:
"After a health and safety assessment it was decided by councillors on the
council's cabinet that it was inappropriate to mix pedestrians with
cyclists."
Which is a sentiment I agree with. And the council is looking at
alternative routes. Not that there's anywhere much to go in Llandudno -
along one coastline or the other and around the Great Orme at the end is the
extent of the choice.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

Steph Peters said the following on 26/08/2006 20:05:

> On the other hand the article quotes county councillor Philip Evans:
> "After a health and safety assessment it was decided by councillors on the
> council's cabinet that it was inappropriate to mix pedestrians with
> cyclists."

Well, that doesn't stop other councils trying the same thing! At a
particular path in WSM, we have mopeds, bikes and pedestrians all mixing
on a path that is perhaps 5 feet wide at most when the undergrowth is
cut back, narrowing to about 2 feet as it crosses a railway bridge.

It's just a shame that in Llandudno it was the cyclists that lost out.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/