Cycle trailers

Tim Steele

Guest
Obvious point this but.. when we bought our child trailer it was a German
model and had the flag on the nearside. We meant to move the holder to the
other side but as it involved quite a bit of sewing we didn't do it straight
away. We finally got around to it this week and wow, what a difference! We
definitely get given more room now. So if you buy a trailer do check which
side everything is as it might not be appropriate for the UK. (when we
bought it we swapped over the reflectors and lights as this only took a
screwdriver to do).

Tim

Tim Steele wrote:
> Obvious point this but.. when we bought our child trailer it was a German
> model and had the flag on the nearside. We meant to move the holder to the
> other side but as it involved quite a bit of sewing we didn't do it straight
> away. We finally got around to it this week and wow, what a difference! We
> definitely get given more room now.

Another vindication of the Theory of Big. If your main point of height
is by th ekerb then you get less space than if it is away from the
kerb. I'll remember that when I put the flag holder on my trailer.

> So if you buy a trailer do check which
> side everything is as it might not be appropriate for the UK. (when we
> bought it we swapped over the reflectors and lights as this only took a
> screwdriver to do).

Reflectors? Had to get my own, and some reflective tape for the child
trailer. The other one I made use of reflectors from abandoned bikes.

In message <[email protected]>,
David Martin <[email protected]> writes

>Tim Steele wrote:
>> Obvious point this but.. when we bought our child trailer it was a German
>> model and had the flag on the nearside. We meant to move the holder to the
>> other side but as it involved quite a bit of sewing we didn't do it straight
>> away. We finally got around to it this week and wow, what a difference! We
>> definitely get given more room now.

>Another vindication of the Theory of Big.

Except my experiences don't agree.

> If your main point of height
>is by th ekerb then you get less space than if it is away from the
>kerb. I'll remember that when I put the flag holder on my trailer.

I had similar thoughts, but rather than fiddle around sewing etc. I just
experimented with moving mine over and securing with tape and zip ties.
I can't say I noticed any difference in vehicle behaviour, in fact I've
run it for some time with no flag and didn't notice any difference
either. I don't believe the flag really makes any difference really But
most vehicles give plenty of space anyway to the trailer. My luggage
trailer has no flag and gets lots of space and the recent kiddieback
tandem seems to get most space of al, again no flag , presumably the WTF
factor

It's the trailer itself most people seem to spot and respond to not the
flag IME. I certainly wouldn't go to any great effort.

>> So if you buy a trailer do check which
>> side everything is as it might not be appropriate for the UK. (when we
>> bought it we swapped over the reflectors and lights as this only took a
>> screwdriver to do).

>Reflectors? Had to get my own, and some reflective tape for the child
>trailer. The other one I made use of reflectors from abandoned bikes.

Mine kiddie trailer came with twin rear reflectors anyway, I forget
about the front arrangements.
--
Chris French

I've a flag on both side, to be sure, to be sure..., same with
reflectors and lights, although I have an extra light mounted high on
the offside.

In message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes
>I've a flag on both side, to be sure, to be sure..., same with
>reflectors and lights, although I have an extra light mounted high on
>the offside.

Ah, now, lights did make a difference.

I mounted two red LED lights each side at the top (it's easy to mount
them there on my trailer) and a flashing LED bottom centre (there was a
tab for it)

That got me lost of space and lots of slowing down first before
overtaking. Presumably as they tried to work out what it was.
--
Chris French