Cycling holidays - recommendations

I've got a week's holiday booked at the beginning of August and thought
I'd head out on my mountain bike for a week. Was thinking of doing the
C2C but wondering whether I should book a holiday or self-guided tour.

Don't want to travel far as I only have a week - has anyone got any
recommendations or good companies to use or good tours. I want to do
around 40-60miles per day (unless very hilly) on a mix of
road/tracks/cycleways

Simon

[email protected] wrote:
> ......thought I'd head out on my mountain bike for a week........

Why don't you do just that? Set out from home and do a "circular" tour.
At 60 miles a day you are bound to have plenty of time in interesting
territory and the advantage of familiarity on the last stages of the
return - you'll easily judge timing to squeeze the most out of your
break.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've got a week's holiday booked at the beginning of August and thought
> I'd head out on my mountain bike for a week. Was thinking of doing the
> C2C but wondering whether I should book a holiday or self-guided tour.
>
> Don't want to travel far as I only have a week - has anyone got any
> recommendations or good companies to use or good tours. I want to do
> around 40-60miles per day (unless very hilly) on a mix of
> road/tracks/cycleways

This 4 day event is usually good fun.

http://llanwrtyd-wells.powys.org.uk/eventbikefestival.htm

Distances vary between 25 and 40 miles per day - but they are hard miles.
You get excellent company.

JOhn

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> I've got a week's holiday booked at the beginning of August and thought
> I'd head out on my mountain bike for a week. Was thinking of doing the
> C2C but wondering whether I should book a holiday or self-guided tour.
>
> Don't want to travel far as I only have a week - has anyone got any
> recommendations or good companies to use or good tours. I want to do
> around 40-60miles per day (unless very hilly) on a mix of
> road/tracks/cycleways

I have just today finished checking the route sheets for the 7/24, a 24
hour event across all seven 7stanes (http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/). The
7stanes themselves need no praise from me - the International Mountain
Bike Association rates them with the best tracks in the world. But the
route in between is also gorgeous cycling, on quiet roads through
wonderful scenery. To do it in a week rather than in 24 hours would make
a very nice tour.

http://www.stewartry-wheelers.org/7/24/routesheets.pdf

For office use only. Please do not write or type below this line.