cycling links

Richard [email protected]ks opined the following...
> <four yorkshiremen>
>
> Pah, that's nothing. When I were lad we had ladybirds that'd wrestle you
> t' ground, kick you int'balls, take yer loose change, and ride off on
> yer bike laughing.

An' still enuff change fo' bus 'ome.

Jon

James Annan [email protected] opined the following...
> FFS, Merkins are just SOOOOOOOO dull-witted. Why do we bother?

Because despite the evidence of history, we cling desperately to the
belief that they can be educated!

FWIW, the Merkins that leave Merkinland generally seem to have more of a
Clue, than those who steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that anything
exists outside of the USofA.

Jon

Eric® [email protected] opined the following...
> There appears to be a certain amount of jealousy clouding this 'issue',
> doesn't there?

Irritation more like.

Someone who clearly does not ride a bike and has no intention of riding
a bike, using flawed studies to promote a nonsensical safety item to
people who do ride bikes, and have greater need of more bike riders, not
scaremongering.

Hard to imagine why it winds so many people up! :)

Jon

slim <pickin'[email protected]>typed

> Richard wrote:
> >
> > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> >
> > > I think the point was that "slim" doesn't realise that potential
> > > energy varies with speed squared.

> > ITYM kinetic energy, not potential energy. (gravitational) PE goes as
> > height.
> >

> F=MA.

Yebbut force ain't energy is it?

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Jim wrote:
> > On the other hand, I would like not to be financially
> > responsible for what I consider foolish behavior.
> >

> Does that mean if driving you would instinctively take more care near an
> unhelmeted cyclist than a helmeted one? It certainly seems to be my
> observation of drivers since I stopped wearing a helmet.
>
> Tony

Yes I do Tony, now that you ask the question. Even while taking more
care I know that I think it foolish of the rider to presume that I
will be more careful.
I ride a trike so I guess I have even less of a chance to be injured.
The other reason I use a helmet is as a platform for shade devices and
a light.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:37:08 GMT, Chris Phillipo
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Road gong cars are
> >designed to be safe for people NOT wearing helmets. PERIOD.

> Not very well designed, then, are they? Look at the number of
> unhelmeted people they manage to kill every year!

The speeders, the drunks, the irresponsible.......

--

http://www.bushflash.com/thanks.html
"Bubba got a BJ, BU$H screwed us all!" - Slim

Chris Phillipo wrote:
> [email protected] says...

>> I believe they are designed to proect the wearer in a non-rotational
>> impact
>> of no more than 23 km/h. (And they stop you swallowing Big Green
>> Bugs).

> It's worth wearing one for the protection from flying desbris like
> gravel alone. Why people think their sunglasses are going to protect
> them from a stone that will crack a windshield I don't know.

So you agree helmets are of no use in an accident but good for gravel and
bugs.

Theo

IN THE ABSENCE OF THE SACRED by Jerry Mander

"...spoken by David Brower, then chairman of Friends of the Earth. "All
technologies," he said,"should be assumed guilty until pr oven
innocent." I love that idea because it emphasizes examining the hidden
negative values of new technologies..."

--

Jason H. (650) 592-1990
http://thesame.net/DUNGEONS_AND_BICYCLES/

Clive George wrote:

>>F=MA.
>>SIMPLE.
>>Just like you. ;-)

> But don't forget V=IR.

Indeed, and it's terribly dangerous to forget that JH = E + v x B.

R.

Chris Phillipo wrote:

> Well then let me explain this to you so you are clear. In the first
> post we were talking about a car impacting the helmet or the helmet
> impacting the car, because in road going cars we do not have the same
> level of head restraint as in a racing car. In the second post I was
> talking about loose nuts and bolts and bits of carbon fiber impacting
> it. I hope you can see the difference.

But it doesn't alter the fact I related, higher up this sub-thread, that
you can always do /something/ to make a car safer. For example, as well
as a helmet, add the same level of head restraint as in a racing car,
and then you've got the same conditions as in a race car where helmets
are felt beneficial. It might just save an accident!

But the "might" is a rather big "might" and it basically isn't worth
doing because this sort of injury almost certainly wouldn't actually be
that common and the above would add considerable basically unnecessary
inconvenience and discomfort to driving. But the chances would be
finite. A bit like with cycle helmets and cycling (not /as/ much
discomfort and inconvenience, but still some), and are similarly
"essential" to a cyclist in the same way that racing car standards of
protection are "essential" to day to day motorists.

> If you can't, I really don't
> care, go back to cut and pasting statistics that contradict themselves.

What statistics would they be? The statistics for serious head injury
rates staying the same with changing helmet wearing rates are about the
only reproducible and consistent ones out there, unlike the varying
numbers sent to us by case control studies.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:02:24 GMT, slim <pickin'[email protected]> wrote:

>At that time, there was FAR more cars WITHOUT airbags
>and people still drove WITHOUT shoulder harnesses, ergo,
>a lot of head injuries.

I wonder how come over 42,000 people managed to die on the roads of
the US last year in those nice, safe cars of theirs?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:03:22 GMT, slim <pickin'[email protected]> wrote:

>F=MA.
>SIMPLE.
>Just like you. ;-)

E=1/2mv^2.

Which is presumably part of the reason why probability of fatality
rises with the fourth power of speed.

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:05:58 GMT, slim <pickin'[email protected]> wrote:

>> ITYM kinetic energy, not potential energy. (gravitational) PE goes as
>> height.

>F=MA.

Ah, so you don't know the difference between force and energy. Thanks
for clearing that up.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:11:48 -0000, "Clive George"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>But don't forget V=IR.

Ohm's Law, a personal favourite. As is Cole's law.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Ohm's Law, a personal favourite. As is Cole's law.

But it does need good quality mayonnaise and cabbage.

Pete.
--

slim wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>
>>Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>>

>>>I think the point was that "slim" doesn't realise that potential
>>>energy varies with speed squared.

>>ITYM kinetic energy, not potential energy. (gravitational) PE goes as
>>height.

> F=MA.

So what? When I wander around, I can spout F=Ma (acceleration is
denoted with a lower-case 'a', by the way) and show quite accurately
that I have about 10,000 N pressing down on my head, which is about a
ton. All the time, every day. But totally irrelevant to impact
damage, which is what Guy was talking about.

R.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:11:48 -0000, "Clive George"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>But don't forget V=IR.

> Ohm's Law, a personal favourite. As is Cole's law.

And don't forget Godwin's Law, you fascist. ;-)

R.

slim <pickin'[email protected]> wrote:

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:37:08 GMT, Chris Phillipo
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >Road gong cars are
> > >designed to be safe for people NOT wearing helmets. PERIOD.

> > Not very well designed, then, are they? Look at the number of
> > unhelmeted people they manage to kill every year!

> The speeders, the drunks, the irresponsible.......

The people who have the misfortune to be on the road at the same time as
the above...

Or sometimes to be walking along the pavement (or "sidewalk" depending
where you're reading this) at the same time, even.

--
Carol
"I was just being a little teapot. It's a bad habit of mine"

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 02:13:08 GMT, slim <pickin'[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Road gong cars are
>> >designed to be safe for people NOT wearing helmets. PERIOD.

>> Not very well designed, then, are they? Look at the number of
>> unhelmeted people they manage to kill every year!

>The speeders, the drunks, the irresponsible.......

So they are wasting their time faffing around with secondary safety
when they should be building in speed limiters and alcohol interlocks.
Hmmm. Excessive focus on secondary safety while ignoring the primary
causes - where have we heard that before?

Jon Senior wrote:

> FWIW, the Merkins that leave Merkinland generally seem to have more of a
> Clue, than those who steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that anything
> exists outside of the USofA.

Oh yes, one of my friends is a Merkin who escaped. However, I don't
think that applies to those who merely post to international/foreign
newsgroups.

James
by treading on the toes of giants.