Davis, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:zqFsa.8725
>
> The sick thing about this is, UC students are generally middle-class or higher, and if they're not
> already they will be. IOW, they don't need to be ripping off bikes and bike parts. The same thing
> happens at UC Irvine, and USC, where tuition is over $20k a year. This doesn't reflect well on the
> ethics of today's college students.

More than likely it isn't the students. Theives are attracted to places where they can blend in,
there is plenty of stuff to steal, and it is easy to get the stuff out of town.

-Buck

"Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:zqFsa.8725
> >
> > The sick thing about this is, UC students are generally middle-class or higher, and if they're
> > not already they will be. IOW, they don't need to be ripping off bikes and bike parts. The same
> > thing happens at UC Irvine, and USC, where tuition is over $20k a year. This doesn't reflect
> > well on the ethics of today's college students.
>
> More than likely it isn't the students. Theives are attracted to places where they can blend in,
> there is plenty of stuff to steal, and it is easy to get the stuff out of town.
>

Not to mention the way that most students are very casual in the way that they secure their goods.

"Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:zqFsa.8725
> >
> > The sick thing about this is, UC students are generally middle-class or higher, and if they're
> > not already they
will
> > be. IOW, they don't need to be ripping off bikes and
bike
> > parts. The same thing happens at UC Irvine, and USC,
where
> > tuition is over $20k a year. This doesn't reflect well
on
> > the ethics of today's college students.
>
> More than likely it isn't the students. Theives are
attracted to places
> where they can blend in, there is plenty of stuff to
steal, and it is easy
> to get the stuff out of town.

I remember several major student-run bike theft rings being busted over the years. It *is* students.

Matt O.

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
> I was downtown (Philly) a couple days ago and was embarassed at the cyclists who blew through
> stoplights. Not only is it stupid-dangerous, but it cements in the minds of drivers that cyclists
> are not real traffic, since they don't think of themselves as such.

Seattle also has more than it's share of "stupid-dangerous" cyclists. And you're right-on it
"cements in the minds of drivers that cyclists are not "real traffiic".

The people that witness the lame cycylists are the very people that approprate, (vote) for funds to
improve roads/signage/etc. for cyclists. Needless to say all the community is hurt by the "stupid
dangerous" cyclists.

fwiw

Tickets are a very common occurance, especially in the fall quarter with all the new students. There
is also an abundance of bike vs. bike crashes. Where else do you ride to class in a peloton? Davis
was built for bicycles. Bicycle traffic in Davis is real traffic, and the police enforce laws just
as they do for other vehicles. It's better for us all that way.

I had a roommate at UCD many years ago who was riding his bike to class on his first day. He was
riding with no hands through a point where two trails merged. He sideswiped a merging cyclist and
knocked him sprawling into the bushes, books flying everywhere. When he got to class, he found the
same guy at the podium getting ready to deliver his first lecture.

Bruce Finley Citizen, Republic of Davis

KBH <[email protected]> wrote:
: Maybe OT, but I have a friend who moved from Maine to Davis, CA and his welcome was a ticket for
: riding through a stop sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.