Dawes Discovery 201 - 1 week later

tony

Guest
as some of you may know, I took delivery of a Dawes Discovery 201 last week.
I bought a set of LED lights (smart polaris III for front, unsure of back)
and an Abus 43 U Lock for it.

I've been taking it out on the road every morning for a roughly 7 mile round
trip, trying to build up to the full 12 miles for work. Here's what I've
noticed so far:

- I'm going to need gloves, both to keep the chill off my fingers and to
help with the vibrations.

- I'm starting to get saddle sore and regretting not paying extra for the
301 which had a suspension seat post.

- when I look over my shoulder (mostly right), I end up steering in the
direction I'm looking. I'm trying to compensate for this by first steering a
little in the opposite direction first but I havn't quite got the timing
right.

- I have 21 gears but have yet to go above the 6th. One particular hill is
so steep that not even the 1st gear is enough to get me up it, I get about
2/3 of the way then have to get off and walk. are there any particular
weight lifting exercises which will help me with steep hills? It's been a
few years since I was in the gym but I'm guessing squats would be the key
exercise here?

- cycling on the roads is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, and
much more enjoyable than I thought it would be! so much so that I'm planning
a long cycling trip this weekend, but away from where I live which is a very
hilly area and so has it's downsides (no pun intended)

any advice or comments on the above would be welcome

tony

"tony" <[email protected]> writes:

> - I'm starting to get saddle sore and regretting not paying extra for the
> 301 which had a suspension seat post.

The **** interface is a very personal thing but suspension might not
help. You might instead need a different saddle, padded clothing, or a
month or two for you to harden up ! Indeed whatever works right now
might not in the near future. Which leads into the gear thing. Your
legs will get somewhat stronger and able to use the higher gears.

Jon

On 2006-10-30, tony <[email protected]> wrote:
[snip] Disco delight, 7 miles daily.

> - I'm going to need gloves, both to keep the chill off my fingers and to
> help with the vibrations.

Padded gloves or padded mitts will help a lot.
Beware of getting overinsulated gloves.

> - I'm starting to get saddle sore and regretting not paying extra for the
> 301 which had a suspension seat post.

A cheaper alternative is to lift your weight up whenever you freewheel (coast).
Once your legs are strong enough to pedal constantly, you won't put nearly
as much weight on your saddle.

> - when I look over my shoulder (mostly right), I end up steering in the
> direction I'm looking. I'm trying to compensate for this by first steering a
> little in the opposite direction first but I havn't quite got the timing
> right.

You're right, practice makes it better.

> - I have 21 gears but have yet to go above the 6th. One particular hill is
> so steep that not even the 1st gear is enough to get me up it, I get about
> 2/3 of the way then have to get off and walk. are there any particular
> weight lifting exercises which will help me with steep hills? It's been a
> few years since I was in the gym but I'm guessing squats would be the key
> exercise here?

Are you sure you're in "1st"? Your lowest gear is using the smallest (leftmost)
chainring at the front and largest (again leftmost) at the rear.
Of course, I have no idea how steep these hills are but modern bikes
have a very wide range of gears. The best exercise for cycling is cycling!

As for going above "6th" - not sure what you mean. Nobody counts gears
from 1 to 27. For on the level cycling you'll most likely use your
middle ring at the front and one of the smaller cogs at the rear.

--
Jan

tony wrote on 30/10/2006 09:20 +0100:
> as some of you may know, I took delivery of a Dawes Discovery 201 last week.
> I bought a set of LED lights (smart polaris III for front, unsure of back)
> and an Abus 43 U Lock for it.
>
> I've been taking it out on the road every morning for a roughly 7 mile round
> trip, trying to build up to the full 12 miles for work. Here's what I've
> noticed so far:

If you can do 7 miles, you can do the 12. It may sound a bit
intimidating but when you try you will probably surprise yourself

> - I'm going to need gloves, both to keep the chill off my fingers and to
> help with the vibrations.
>
> - I'm starting to get saddle sore and regretting not paying extra for the
> 301 which had a suspension seat post.

A saddle that fits will do wonders - much more than a suspension post.
You need one that is fairly hard (yes I know it seems wrong) not squishy
and that rests your weight on your sit bones, not the soft tissue
surrounding. Some nappy rash cream will help relieve the pain but you
will quickly toughen your bum up.

> - when I look over my shoulder (mostly right), I end up steering in the
> direction I'm looking. I'm trying to compensate for this by first steering a
> little in the opposite direction first but I havn't quite got the timing
> right.

It'll come

> - I have 21 gears but have yet to go above the 6th. One particular hill is
> so steep that not even the 1st gear is enough to get me up it, I get about
> 2/3 of the way then have to get off and walk. are there any particular
> weight lifting exercises which will help me with steep hills? It's been a
> few years since I was in the gym but I'm guessing squats would be the key
> exercise here?

The best exercise for hills is....hills. What you are doing is right
and you will find over the weeks that you can get further and further up
hte hill until one day you will wonder what the problem was. The
biggest factor in getting up a steep hill is how slowly you can cycle
without falling off. The slower you can cycle the slower you can climb
and the easier (though longer) it gets.

> - cycling on the roads is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, and
> much more enjoyable than I thought it would be! so much so that I'm planning
> a long cycling trip this weekend, but away from where I live which is a very
> hilly area and so has it's downsides (no pun intended)

Get yourself a copy of Cyclecraft by John Franklin published by The
Stationary Office. It will give you lots of excellent advice on road
cycling, much of it contrary to what you might expect such as
positioning yourself well out in the road. And the advice really works.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

tony wrote:

> I've been taking it out on the road every morning for a roughly 7 mile round
> trip, trying to build up to the full 12 miles for work.

As Tony suggests, you'll probably manage the whole thing and be
surprised how it's not much more work. To borrow Nike's advertising
slogan, just do it.

> - I'm going to need gloves, both to keep the chill off my fingers and to
> help with the vibrations.

Proper cycling gloves with a padded palm are well worth the extra if
you're suffering. In summer fingerless ones ("track mitts"), full
fingers are available for cooler periods. For very cold weather, ski
gloves have enough integral padding to deal with vibration and are good
and toasty.
Aside from these things, try and emphasize a light touch on the bars.
There is a tendency to grab onto them like grim death as you're starting
but it's not really necessary, and a light touch means less vibration (a
common mountain bike technique for descending rough stuff with rigid
forks is hardly grip the bars at all!)

> - I'm starting to get saddle sore and regretting not paying extra for the
> 301 which had a suspension seat post.

That's not really that much to do with saddle sore: it's usually that
the saddle is the wrong shape. Back to the shop and sit on as many as
they can find for you to sit on, and get the one where the /shape/ (not
the padding) makes it comfortable. Many of the best loved saddles have
no padding to speak of at all.

> - when I look over my shoulder (mostly right), I end up steering in the
> direction I'm looking. I'm trying to compensate for this by first steering a
> little in the opposite direction first but I havn't quite got the timing
> right.

This could be another aspect of hanging onto the bars too tight. If you
can sit up as straight as possible to take your weight off the bars
you'll find that you can probably ride straight ahead by simply
encircling the bars with your hands but not actually gripping them. If
you can do that then try doing it while looking back: you're less likely
to be putting unconscious steering effort through the bars. It's a bit
like signalling/one handed riding: practice will get you only turning
the bars when you mean to.

> - I have 21 gears but have yet to go above the 6th. One particular hill is
> so steep that not even the 1st gear is enough to get me up it, I get about
> 2/3 of the way then have to get off and walk. are there any particular
> weight lifting exercises which will help me with steep hills? It's been a
> few years since I was in the gym but I'm guessing squats would be the key
> exercise here?

As others have said, a better one is going out on your bike and
practising up the hills.

Keep at it, and you'll get there.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> as some of you may know, I took delivery of a Dawes Discovery 201 last
> week. I bought a set of LED lights (smart polaris III for front, unsure of
> back) and an Abus 43 U Lock for it.
>
> I've been taking it out on the road every morning for a roughly 7 mile
> round trip, trying to build up to the full 12 miles for work. Here's what
> I've noticed so far:
>
> - I'm going to need gloves, both to keep the chill off my fingers and to
> help with the vibrations.
>
> - I'm starting to get saddle sore and regretting not paying extra for the
> 301 which had a suspension seat post.
>
> - when I look over my shoulder (mostly right), I end up steering in the
> direction I'm looking. I'm trying to compensate for this by first steering
> a little in the opposite direction first but I havn't quite got the timing
> right.
>
> - I have 21 gears but have yet to go above the 6th. One particular hill is
> so steep that not even the 1st gear is enough to get me up it, I get about
> 2/3 of the way then have to get off and walk. are there any particular
> weight lifting exercises which will help me with steep hills? It's been a
> few years since I was in the gym but I'm guessing squats would be the key
> exercise here?
>
> - cycling on the roads is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be,
> and much more enjoyable than I thought it would be! so much so that I'm
> planning a long cycling trip this weekend, but away from where I live
> which is a very hilly area and so has it's downsides (no pun intended)
>
> any advice or comments on the above would be welcome
>
> tony

I have had a 501 Discovery ( stolen nearly a year ago) and now have a=much
modified 601 Discovery. Both were/are fitted with suspension seat post which
I found useful -- especially on my annual long camping tours. I took up
cycling again in 2003 at the age of 66. I was advised to wear decent cycling
gear and always have done so with padded shorts etc.

I may have been fortunate but I have never suffered from any bum or thigh
soreness at all -- although on a 5 week camping trip my bum does take on the
consistency of well tanned leather.

I don't walk up many hills now but I did at first! But I manage to cycle
about 5000 miles every year now and it is a peculiar day when I haven't done
20 miles on my Velocepanther 2. And there is no shame in getting off and
pushing. I still do it under heavy touring load when I have to

It is all just a matter of practice and getting on the bike as often as you
can. These last few years have given me a real fillip and I enjoy life
immensely now.

I am collecting my new Thorn Raven Tour this coming Friday -- and I am
looking forward to riding with the 14 speed Rohloff hub gears.

Hope you enjoy riding -- in no time you will wonder where all the hills have
disappeared to.
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

> I've been taking it out on the road every morning for a roughly 7 mile
> round trip, trying to build up to the full 12 miles for work. Here's what
> I've noticed so far:

If you can do 7, you can do 12 - trust me. It seems a big leap bu it's
manageable.

> - I'm going to need gloves, both to keep the chill off my fingers and to
> help with the vibrations.

You've missed the Aldi winter sale but there's plenty of reasonbly priced
gloves available from your LBS

> - I'm starting to get saddle sore and regretting not paying extra for the
> 301 which had a suspension seat post.

I'm not convinced about suspension posts - possibly because my porkiness
will put them under full compression from the outset ;-)
However, you might like to consider changing your bike seat. I have moved
onto using Brooks B17 leather seats and have found them comfortable from day
one. I used to suffer from saddle soreness at the beginning of my return to
cycling. I've never used padded shorts - I could find any to fit and i
wouldn't like to be responsible for horses bolting as I passed them. I've
made do with loose fitting shorts and M&S underwear. Initially I used nappy
cream to relieve the soreness but ahve not had to use any creams or unguents
for the past 15 months.

> - I have 21 gears but have yet to go above the 6th. One particular hill is
> so steep that not even the 1st gear is enough to get me up it, I get about
> 2/3 of the way then have to get off and walk. are there any particular
> weight lifting exercises which will help me with steep hills? It's been a
> few years since I was in the gym but I'm guessing squats would be the key
> exercise here?

It's still early days - I wouldn't despair about finding hills unrideable.
Getting more cycling in is the answer and it's a lot cheaper than doing
weights. You don't mention your weight or the gradient (%) of the hill. I
haven't come across a hill since Rosedale Chimney (33% !) that I have not
been able to pedal up. I might have to pause to let my pulse restore itself
to some semblance of a countable rythym but I can cope with everything upto
25%.

As you get fitter you'll find that the hills get easier but you still be
working just as hard because you'll want to get up them faster.

Keep at it.

-=V=-

In article <[email protected]>
tony <[email protected]> wrote:
> as some of you may know, I took delivery of a Dawes Discovery 201 last week.
> I bought a set of LED lights (smart polaris III for front, unsure of back)
> and an Abus 43 U Lock for it.
>
> I've been taking it out on the road every morning for a roughly 7 mile round
> trip, trying to build up to the full 12 miles for work. Here's what I've
> noticed so far:
>
> - I'm going to need gloves, both to keep the chill off my fingers and to
> help with the vibrations.
>
> - I'm starting to get saddle sore and regretting not paying extra for the
> 301 which had a suspension seat post.

I doubt a springy seatpost would make much difference to overall comfort
- they're only really intended to take the edge off big bumps, and don't
do much on the road (except on the back of a tandem). It's more likely
that you need to adjust the saddle position. It's also possible that
your hand discomfort is due to poor saddle position.

> - when I look over my shoulder (mostly right), I end up steering in the
> direction I'm looking. I'm trying to compensate for this by first steering a
> little in the opposite direction first but I havn't quite got the timing
> right.

I tend to do that these days due to an old neck injury, but it's not
really a problem. It could be that you're a bit stretched reaching the
bars, or you're putting too much weight on the bars - try letting go on
the side you're looking.

> - I have 21 gears but have yet to go above the 6th. One particular hill is
> so steep that not even the 1st gear is enough to get me up it, I get about
> 2/3 of the way then have to get off and walk. are there any particular
> weight lifting exercises which will help me with steep hills? It's been a
> few years since I was in the gym but I'm guessing squats would be the key
> exercise here?

Unless the hills are incredibly steep you should be able to climb them
at less than walking pace in bottom gear without breaking sweat (balance
permitting). Are you sure you understand how the gears work?
For climbing, cardiovascular fitness is more important than power -
compare the physique of road-racing climbers and sprinters. The best
practice for riding up hills is riding up hills.

In article <[email protected]>
vernon <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
> I've never used padded shorts - I could find any to fit and i
> wouldn't like to be responsible for horses bolting as I passed them.

Cycling shorts work nearly as well when worn under light baggy shorts or
trousers as they do on their own (unless it's your intention to scare
horses).

"vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> You don't mention your weight or the gradient (%) of the hill. I

> haven't come across a hill since Rosedale Chimney (33% !) that I have not
> been able to pedal up. I might have to pause to let my pulse restore
> itself to some semblance of a countable rythym but I can cope with
> everything upto 25%.

I'm 15st. a quick calculation using google earth data puts the hill at about
11%
(26m gained over 240m). is that steep?

"tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>> You don't mention your weight or the gradient (%) of the hill. I

>> haven't come across a hill since Rosedale Chimney (33% !) that I have not
>> been able to pedal up. I might have to pause to let my pulse restore
>> itself to some semblance of a countable rythym but I can cope with
>> everything upto 25%.
>>

> I'm 15st. a quick calculation using google earth data puts the hill at
> about 11%
> (26m gained over 240m). is that steep?

11% is 1 in 9. I wouldn't consider it to be steep unless is went on for a
lot longer than 240m
I'm 21 stones and cope with most hills by getting into a low gear and
finding a rythym that allows a steady rotation of the pedals (cadence)
without lifting my pulse rate to stratospheric levels. 11% hills used to
hurt like hell and I'd be in the lowest gear (1st) and be desperate for an
even lower one. The hills that used to cause me problems no longer do so and
I'm happy to let Rosedale Chimney be unconquered. As your cardio vascular
fitness improves, your hill climbing ability will also improve. Just be
patient :)

-=V=-

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>
> vernon <[email protected]> wrote:
> <snip>
> > I've never used padded shorts - I could find any to fit and i
> > wouldn't like to be responsible for horses bolting as I passed them.

> Cycling shorts work nearly as well when worn under light baggy shorts or
> trousers as they do on their own (unless it's your intention to scare
> horses).

You can also get padded liners that always were intended to wear under
touring type shorts. You could always use them under jeans, etc, if you
are particular about ruining your street cred with full blown cycle
gear.

David

> You can also get padded liners that always were intended to wear under
> touring type shorts. You could always use them under jeans, etc, if you
> are particular about ruining your street cred with full blown cycle
> gear.

I'm very happy with my 4XL baggy shorts. I'ev suffient padding to be able
to dispense with the services of artificial padding :)

-=V=-

tony wrote:

> I'm 15st. a quick calculation using google earth data puts the hill at about
> 11%
> (26m gained over 240m). is that steep?

It's certainly a tangible hill and it wouldn't be easy, but it's not a
*real* beast, either in terms of steepness or total ascent. Keep
working at it and you'll get used to it, and once you've done that
you'll get up it.

Make sure you're always in a useful gear: if you change into first
straight away and you'll lose a lot of speed before you have to. Change
down progressively as it gets harder, but don't wait until your legs
practically stop moving or the gear change will quite possible be a
disaster (derailleurs don't change will while under very high tension)

Pete.
--

tony wrote:
> - I'm starting to get saddle sore and regretting not paying extra for the
> 301 which had a suspension seat post.

A suspension seat post won't help with soreness, but they are good for
absorbing some of that horrible jarring to your lower back when you hit
an unexpected pot hole.
Padded shorts or padded undershorts are your best bet.

Pinky wrote:

> I am collecting my new Thorn Raven Tour this coming Friday -- and I am
> looking forward to riding with the 14 speed Rohloff hub gears.

Drool, mutter <jammy bugger, etc. etc.>, turn enviously green, check
bank account again, still no chance, drool, sulk ...

--
Brian G

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 11:19:38 GMT, "Pinky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am collecting my new Thorn Raven Tour this coming Friday -- and I am
>looking forward to riding with the 14 speed Rohloff hub gears.

Tremendous bikes. I've had mine for 18 months now and I'm so proud of
it I've had a special bike store built for it at the front of my
house.

This is my view as I type on my keyboard:

http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/bike1.jpg

And this is the view when the bike store doors are open:

http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/bike2.jpg

I really ought to sweep the floor so the tyres don't get mucky.

"Brian G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pinky wrote:
>
>> I am collecting my new Thorn Raven Tour this coming Friday -- and I am
>> looking forward to riding with the 14 speed Rohloff hub gears.

> Drool, mutter <jammy bugger, etc. etc.>, turn enviously green, check bank
> account again, still no chance, drool, sulk ...

> Brian G

Brian -- the new bike is courtesy of my compensation claim after being
knocked off my velo last January and given 3 broken ribs.
I wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise!
Not sure if all the pain I had makes it worth it or not -- and I still have
minor discomfort even now. Still, I must admit to being like my grandson
waiting for Christmas! And I don't have to wait that long!
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:55:53 GMT, "Pinky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Brian -- the new bike is courtesy of my compensation claim after being
>knocked off my velo last January and given 3 broken ribs.
>I wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise!
>Not sure if all the pain I had makes it worth it or not -- and I still have
>minor discomfort even now. Still, I must admit to being like my grandson
>waiting for Christmas! And I don't have to wait that long!

It may not be worth all the discomfort and pain, but it will make the
experience that little bit more bearable. People who ride Rohloffs
often complain about the noise in 7th gear. I like the hum. It
reminds me that there are precision cogs meshing together in a bed of
oil within my rear hub. For real smoothness switch to gear 11 and you
have direct drive - and no hub noise. A rohloff is pure joy, and
prices start from less than an annual season ticket into central
London