Day 9 - Harder today - a new commuters journal

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lee, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Hi again!

    Well, for some reason I found it a little harder this morning. The initial 10 minutes or so were
    like hell! Odd because I had plenty of sleep last night and it wasnt 1/2 as warm as it was yesterday
    biking home :)

    To be honest, once I got going properly it wasnt too bad although it seemed more difficult than
    normal - not sure why, maybe my body is rebelling! It wont beat me dammit.

    Going home tonight is going to be fun - even hotter than yesterday! Still, im up for it!

    Just got to grit my teeth and bear it although membership of the SAS seems much more "relevant" at
    the moment - ouch!

    Lee

    Tags:

  2. Paul Rudin

    Paul Rudin Guest

    > To be honest, once I got going properly it wasnt too bad although it seemed more difficult
    > than normal - not sure why, maybe my body is rebelling! It wont beat me dammit.

    If you bike feels harder to pedal than usual check the tyre pressure and chain lubrication. I find
    you need to pump the types every couple of weeks to keep the pressure up at a good level - and it's
    quite surprising how much difference it can make.

  3. Lee wrote:
    > Hi again!
    >
    > Well, for some reason I found it a little harder this morning. The initial 10 minutes or so were
    > like hell! Odd because I had plenty of sleep last night and it wasnt 1/2 as warm as it was
    > yesterday biking home :)
    >
    > To be honest, once I got going properly it wasnt too bad although it seemed more difficult than
    > normal - not sure why, maybe my body is rebelling! It wont beat me dammit.

    You might find that being newish to it all, after your commute yesterday your body is a little achy
    and it wants a rest day. There's 2 schools of thought on this, one is ride every other day, to give
    your body time to recover, the other is to keep grinding along. With your distance, I'd say keep
    going until your body starts to complain and then give it some rest.

    > Going home tonight is going to be fun - even hotter than yesterday! Still, im up for it!

    The good thing about riding is that there's always some breeze, compared to walking anyway.

    > Just got to grit my teeth and bear it although membership of the SAS seems much more "relevant" at
    > the moment - ouch!

    Indeed - have you invested in a pair of cycling shorts? Very much worth it - also consider a change
    of saddle if the SA doesn't start to go away after a few weeks of continuos commuting.

    --
    DNC

  4. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Paul Rudin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > If you bike feels harder to pedal than usual check the tyre pressure and chain lubrication. I find
    > you need to pump the types every couple of weeks to keep the pressure up at a good level - and
    > it's quite surprising how much difference it can make.

    Ok thanks ill have a look/feel later on!

  5. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Lee" <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi again!
    >
    > Well, for some reason I found it a little harder this morning. The
    initial
    > 10 minutes or so were like hell! Odd because I had plenty of sleep last night and it wasnt 1/2 as
    > warm as it was yesterday biking home :)

    The reasons that a ride feels harder/easier on any day are many and various. Sometimes I have to
    really fight the bike for part of a ride -- but suddenly start to enjoy it and so glide through the
    rest with a wide and stupid looking smile.

    In part it may be your need to warm up -- which changes as your muscles get used to the task in
    hand. I find I need about 5 km of gentle pedalling until things all loosen up. Pushing hard during
    this part of any ride is a recipe for a 'bad ride'.

    Keep at it. Very soon you will find that you fancy doing a few extra miles on the way home -- just
    because you can.

  6. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Doesnotcompute" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lee wrote:
    > > Hi again!
    > >
    > > Well, for some reason I found it a little harder this morning. The
    initial
    > > 10 minutes or so were like hell! Odd because I had plenty of sleep last night and it wasnt 1/2
    > > as warm as it was yesterday biking home :)
    > >
    > > To be honest, once I got going properly it wasnt too bad although it
    seemed
    > > more difficult than normal - not sure why, maybe my body is rebelling!
    It
    > > wont beat me dammit.
    >
    > You might find that being newish to it all, after your commute yesterday your body is a little
    > achy and it wants a rest day. There's 2 schools of thought on this, one is ride every other day,
    > to give your body time to recover, the other is to keep grinding along. With your distance, I'd
    > say keep going until your body starts to complain and then give it some rest.
    >

    > > Going home tonight is going to be fun - even hotter than yesterday!
    Still,
    > > im up for it!
    >
    > The good thing about riding is that there's always some breeze, compared to walking anyway.
    > >
    > > Just got to grit my teeth and bear it although membership of the SAS
    seems
    > > much more "relevant" at the moment - ouch!
    >
    > Indeed - have you invested in a pair of cycling shorts? Very much worth it - also consider a
    > change of saddle if the SA doesn't start to go away after a few weeks of continuos commuting.
    >

    > --
    > DNC

    Well as my ultimate aim is to commute everyday I dont want to give up - my body gets plenty of rest
    at weekends! Its a slacker that needs to be slapped into shape!

    Not got any cycling shorts although i do have some cycling boxer shorts - not worn them for a while
    - may well do tomorrow tho! Ive got gel seat which helped a little!! I may well consider a saddle
    change, ill see how it goes first tho!

  7. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Lee" <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi again!
    > >
    > > Well, for some reason I found it a little harder this morning. The
    > initial
    > > 10 minutes or so were like hell! Odd because I had plenty of sleep last night and it wasnt 1/2
    > > as warm as it was yesterday biking home :)
    >
    > The reasons that a ride feels harder/easier on any day are many and
    various.
    > Sometimes I have to really fight the bike for part of a ride -- but
    suddenly
    > start to enjoy it and so glide through the rest with a wide and stupid looking smile.
    >
    > In part it may be your need to warm up -- which changes as your muscles
    get
    > used to the task in hand. I find I need about 5 km of gentle pedalling until things all loosen up.
    > Pushing hard during this part of any ride is
    > recipe for a 'bad ride'.
    >
    > Keep at it. Very soon you will find that you fancy doing a few extra
    miles
    > on the way home -- just because you can.

    Could be the warm up thing actually - i did try and push an early hill quite hard - ill take it
    steady in future!

  8. Lee wrote:

    > Well as my ultimate aim is to commute everyday I dont want to give up - my body gets plenty of
    > rest at weekends! Its a slacker that needs to be slapped into shape!
    >
    > Not got any cycling shorts although i do have some cycling boxer shorts - not worn them for a
    > while - may well do tomorrow tho! Ive got gel seat which helped a little!! I may well consider a
    > saddle change, ill see how it goes first tho!

    You've got padded shorts and aren't wearing them? I'm afraid your membership to the SAS has just
    been revoked, what with it being self inflicted and all that <grin>

    --
    Dnc

  9. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Doesnotcompute" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > You've got padded shorts and aren't wearing them? I'm afraid your membership to the SAS has just
    > been revoked, what with it being self inflicted and all that <grin>
    >
    > --
    > Dnc

    Well kinda - i was told that i shouldnt need to wear them all the time just to start with - thought
    id got over the SAS!

    Please dont revoke my membership - i need it! I DESERVE it

    ;-)

  10. W K

    W K Guest

    > > To be honest, once I got going properly it wasnt too bad although it seemed more difficult
    > > than normal - not sure why, maybe my body is rebelling! It wont beat me dammit.
    >
    > If you bike feels harder to pedal than usual check the tyre pressure and chain lubrication

    Sounds to me more like overdoing it. Its a natural limit, and pushing at it will be likely to lead
    to disappointment.

    However, with a few sensible rest days etc., time will pass and it will be easy.

    I often feel like theres something wrong with the bike, and there never is.

  11. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > To be honest, once I got going properly it wasnt too bad although it seemed more difficult
    > > > than normal - not sure why, maybe my body is rebelling! It wont beat me dammit.
    > >
    > > If you bike feels harder to pedal than usual check the tyre pressure and chain lubrication
    >
    > Sounds to me more like overdoing it. Its a natural limit, and pushing at it will be likely to lead
    > to disappointment.
    >
    > However, with a few sensible rest days etc., time will pass and it will be easy.
    >
    > I often feel like theres something wrong with the bike, and there never
    is.

    Im inclined to believe i MAY have been pushing it too hard this am. My first hill (after 30-60
    seconds ride) i pushed quite hard to start with - probably did myself in doing that!

  12. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Lee wrote:

    > Not got any cycling shorts although i do have some cycling boxer shorts - not worn them for a
    > while - may well do tomorrow tho! Ive got gel seat which helped a little!! I may well consider a
    > saddle change, ill see how it goes first tho!

    Usually, contrary to intuition, gel saddles are worse than the hard ones. The aim should be to rest
    with your weight carried by your sit bones which are designed to carry your weight and will pretty
    quickly adapt to the extra use. The gel saddles distribute the weight onto other parts which are not
    designed for it. Short term comfort then quickly becomes long term discomfort. This is covered in
    much more detail in Sheldon Brown's famous site - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

    Padded shorts on the other hand are a must.

    Tony

    "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not
    dying." Woody Allen

  13. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Lee" <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Well kinda - i was told that i shouldnt need to wear them all the time
    just
    > to start with - thought id got over the SAS!

    Membership of the SAS is nature's way of telling you a day or two's rest may be beneficial.

  14. Doobrie

    Doobrie Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, $*$*$*remove*$*$* [email protected] says...
    > Hi again!
    >
    > Well, for some reason I found it a little harder this morning. The initial 10 minutes or so were
    > like hell! Odd because I had plenty of sleep last night and it wasnt 1/2 as warm as it was
    > yesterday biking home :)

    possibly warm up time or body complaining it needs a rest day ;)

    i'll soon know about it .. i have my bike with me today at work and come going home time its in the
    saddle instead of the van for my first 15 mile ride home from work

    just been out and its looking more and more like its gonna rain ... that would be a little
    irritating for my first ride but it'll happen sooner or later. id prefer my first ride in pleasant
    weather but i'll take whatever it gives me!

  15. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:45:18 +0100, "Lee"
    <[email protected]com> wrote:

    [SNIP]

    >Im inclined to believe i MAY have been pushing it too hard this am. My first hill (after 30-60
    >seconds ride) i pushed quite hard to start with - probably did myself in doing that!

    Hi Lee

    I tend to base my rides on time rather than distance as much as possible. Sometimes I'll feel
    knackered after half an hour of slow trundlings; at other times I'lll stil feel fine after a fast
    hour on my bike.

    I appreciate you are commuting so your milage is set in stone. However, the speed at which you
    travel isn't. If in doubt, leave a little earlier and don't be embarrassed about using a low, low
    gear. That's why they're there after all.

    Good luck James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

  16. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "doobrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > just been out and its looking more and more like its gonna rain ... that would be a little
    > irritating for my first ride but it'll happen sooner or later. id prefer my first ride in pleasant
    > weather but i'll take whatever it gives me!

    look on the bright side. The rain will be warm yet refreshing. Much nicer than the horizontal stuff
    with lumps of ice in it we will get later in the year :(

  17. Doobrie

    Doobrie Guest

    > "doobrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > just been out and its looking more and more like its gonna rain ... that would be a little
    > > irritating for my first ride but it'll happen sooner or later. id prefer my first ride in
    > > pleasant weather but i'll take whatever it gives me!
    >
    > look on the bright side. The rain will be warm yet refreshing. Much nicer than the horizontal
    > stuff with lumps of ice in it we will get later in the year :(

    thanks for painting that lovely image for me to look forward to - maybe time for those proper bike
    helmets if it gets that bad!! ;)

    although i have an incentive of a nice bike for next spring if i can keep up the cummute and control
    my food intake. only a third of my overall bodyweight to go !!

  18. "Lee" <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Could be the warm up thing actually - i did try and push an early hill quite hard - ill take it
    > steady in future!

    I can go two ways in the morning, flat start and a longer ride or a hill start and a shorter one.
    Except that the hill start ruins the rest of the ride and it feels like it's as long as the longer
    (50% longer!) one.

    Either take it steady (not necessarily easily) or try a different route if you can.

    Robert (2x15 miles each day, all year round)

  19. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "doobrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > thanks for painting that lovely image for me to look forward to - maybe time for those proper bike
    > helmets if it gets that bad!! ;)
    >
    > although i have an incentive of a nice bike for next spring if i can keep up the cummute and
    > control my food intake. only a third of my overall bodyweight to go !!

    Remember, statistically it doesn't rain too many times a year while you are actually out on the road
    (Manchester excepted).

  20. Lee

    Lee Guest

    > Lee wrote:
    > >
    > > Not got any cycling shorts although i do have some cycling boxer shorts - not worn them for a
    > > while - may well do tomorrow tho! Ive got gel seat which helped a little!! I may well consider a
    > > saddle change, ill see how it goes first tho!
    >
    > Usually, contrary to intuition, gel saddles are worse than the hard ones. The aim should be to
    > rest with your weight carried by your sit bones which are designed to carry your weight and will
    > pretty quickly adapt to the
    extra
    > use. The gel saddles distribute the weight onto other parts which are not designed for it. Short
    > term comfort then quickly becomes long term discomfort. This is covered in much more detail in
    > Sheldon Brown's
    famous
    > site - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
    >
    > Padded shorts on the other hand are a must.
    >
    > Tony
    >
    > "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not
    > dying." Woody Allen

    In that case i may take the gel seat off.. we shall see