Day 9 - Harder today - a new commuters journal

Lee

Guest
Hi again!

Well, for some reason I found it a little harder this morning. The initial 10 minutes or so were
like hell! Odd because I had plenty of sleep last night and it wasnt 1/2 as warm as it was yesterday
biking home :)

To be honest, once I got going properly it wasnt too bad although it seemed more difficult than
normal - not sure why, maybe my body is rebelling! It wont beat me dammit.

Going home tonight is going to be fun - even hotter than yesterday! Still, im up for it!

Just got to grit my teeth and bear it although membership of the SAS seems much more "relevant" at
the moment - ouch!

Lee

> To be honest, once I got going properly it wasnt too bad although it seemed more difficult
> than normal - not sure why, maybe my body is rebelling! It wont beat me dammit.

If you bike feels harder to pedal than usual check the tyre pressure and chain lubrication. I find
you need to pump the types every couple of weeks to keep the pressure up at a good level - and it's
quite surprising how much difference it can make.

Lee wrote:
> Hi again!
>
> Well, for some reason I found it a little harder this morning. The initial 10 minutes or so were
> like hell! Odd because I had plenty of sleep last night and it wasnt 1/2 as warm as it was
> yesterday biking home :)
>
> To be honest, once I got going properly it wasnt too bad although it seemed more difficult than
> normal - not sure why, maybe my body is rebelling! It wont beat me dammit.

You might find that being newish to it all, after your commute yesterday your body is a little achy
and it wants a rest day. There's 2 schools of thought on this, one is ride every other day, to give
your body time to recover, the other is to keep grinding along. With your distance, I'd say keep
going until your body starts to complain and then give it some rest.

> Going home tonight is going to be fun - even hotter than yesterday! Still, im up for it!

The good thing about riding is that there's always some breeze, compared to walking anyway.

> Just got to grit my teeth and bear it although membership of the SAS seems much more "relevant" at
> the moment - ouch!

Indeed - have you invested in a pair of cycling shorts? Very much worth it - also consider a change
of saddle if the SA doesn't start to go away after a few weeks of continuos commuting.

--
DNC

"Paul Rudin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> If you bike feels harder to pedal than usual check the tyre pressure and chain lubrication. I find
> you need to pump the types every couple of weeks to keep the pressure up at a good level - and
> it's quite surprising how much difference it can make.

Ok thanks ill have a look/feel later on!

"Lee" <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi again!
>
> Well, for some reason I found it a little harder this morning. The
initial
> 10 minutes or so were like hell! Odd because I had plenty of sleep last night and it wasnt 1/2 as
> warm as it was yesterday biking home :)

The reasons that a ride feels harder/easier on any day are many and various. Sometimes I have to
really fight the bike for part of a ride -- but suddenly start to enjoy it and so glide through the
rest with a wide and stupid looking smile.

In part it may be your need to warm up -- which changes as your muscles get used to the task in
hand. I find I need about 5 km of gentle pedalling until things all loosen up. Pushing hard during
this part of any ride is a recipe for a 'bad ride'.

Keep at it. Very soon you will find that you fancy doing a few extra miles on the way home -- just
because you can.

"Doesnotcompute" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Lee wrote:
> > Hi again!
> >
> > Well, for some reason I found it a little harder this morning. The
initial
> > 10 minutes or so were like hell! Odd because I had plenty of sleep last night and it wasnt 1/2
> > as warm as it was yesterday biking home :)
> >
> > To be honest, once I got going properly it wasnt too bad although it
seemed
> > more difficult than normal - not sure why, maybe my body is rebelling!
It
> > wont beat me dammit.
>
> You might find that being newish to it all, after your commute yesterday your body is a little
> achy and it wants a rest day. There's 2 schools of thought on this, one is ride every other day,
> to give your body time to recover, the other is to keep grinding along. With your distance, I'd
> say keep going until your body starts to complain and then give it some rest.
>

> > Going home tonight is going to be fun - even hotter than yesterday!
Still,
> > im up for it!
>
> The good thing about riding is that there's always some breeze, compared to walking anyway.
> >
> > Just got to grit my teeth and bear it although membership of the SAS
seems
> > much more "relevant" at the moment - ouch!
>
> Indeed - have you invested in a pair of cycling shorts? Very much worth it - also consider a
> change of saddle if the SA doesn't start to go away after a few weeks of continuos commuting.
>

> --
> DNC

Well as my ultimate aim is to commute everyday I dont want to give up - my body gets plenty of rest
at weekends! Its a slacker that needs to be slapped into shape!

Not got any cycling shorts although i do have some cycling boxer shorts - not worn them for a while
- may well do tomorrow tho! Ive got gel seat which helped a little!! I may well consider a saddle
change, ill see how it goes first tho!

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Lee" <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi again!
> >
> > Well, for some reason I found it a little harder this morning. The
> initial
> > 10 minutes or so were like hell! Odd because I had plenty of sleep last night and it wasnt 1/2
> > as warm as it was yesterday biking home :)
>
> The reasons that a ride feels harder/easier on any day are many and
various.
> Sometimes I have to really fight the bike for part of a ride -- but
suddenly
> start to enjoy it and so glide through the rest with a wide and stupid looking smile.
>
> In part it may be your need to warm up -- which changes as your muscles
get
> used to the task in hand. I find I need about 5 km of gentle pedalling until things all loosen up.
> Pushing hard during this part of any ride is
> recipe for a 'bad ride'.
>
> Keep at it. Very soon you will find that you fancy doing a few extra
miles
> on the way home -- just because you can.

Could be the warm up thing actually - i did try and push an early hill quite hard - ill take it
steady in future!

Lee wrote:

> Well as my ultimate aim is to commute everyday I dont want to give up - my body gets plenty of
> rest at weekends! Its a slacker that needs to be slapped into shape!
>
> Not got any cycling shorts although i do have some cycling boxer shorts - not worn them for a
> while - may well do tomorrow tho! Ive got gel seat which helped a little!! I may well consider a
> saddle change, ill see how it goes first tho!

You've got padded shorts and aren't wearing them? I'm afraid your membership to the SAS has just
been revoked, what with it being self inflicted and all that <grin>

--
Dnc

"Doesnotcompute" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You've got padded shorts and aren't wearing them? I'm afraid your membership to the SAS has just
> been revoked, what with it being self inflicted and all that <grin>
>
> --
> Dnc

Well kinda - i was told that i shouldnt need to wear them all the time just to start with - thought
id got over the SAS!

Please dont revoke my membership - i need it! I DESERVE it

;-)

> > To be honest, once I got going properly it wasnt too bad although it seemed more difficult
> > than normal - not sure why, maybe my body is rebelling! It wont beat me dammit.
>
> If you bike feels harder to pedal than usual check the tyre pressure and chain lubrication

Sounds to me more like overdoing it. Its a natural limit, and pushing at it will be likely to lead
to disappointment.

However, with a few sensible rest days etc., time will pass and it will be easy.

I often feel like theres something wrong with the bike, and there never is.

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > > To be honest, once I got going properly it wasnt too bad although it seemed more difficult
> > > than normal - not sure why, maybe my body is rebelling! It wont beat me dammit.
> >
> > If you bike feels harder to pedal than usual check the tyre pressure and chain lubrication
>
> Sounds to me more like overdoing it. Its a natural limit, and pushing at it will be likely to lead
> to disappointment.
>
> However, with a few sensible rest days etc., time will pass and it will be easy.
>
> I often feel like theres something wrong with the bike, and there never
is.

Im inclined to believe i MAY have been pushing it too hard this am. My first hill (after 30-60
seconds ride) i pushed quite hard to start with - probably did myself in doing that!

Lee wrote:

> Not got any cycling shorts although i do have some cycling boxer shorts - not worn them for a
> while - may well do tomorrow tho! Ive got gel seat which helped a little!! I may well consider a
> saddle change, ill see how it goes first tho!

Usually, contrary to intuition, gel saddles are worse than the hard ones. The aim should be to rest
with your weight carried by your sit bones which are designed to carry your weight and will pretty
quickly adapt to the extra use. The gel saddles distribute the weight onto other parts which are not
designed for it. Short term comfort then quickly becomes long term discomfort. This is covered in
much more detail in Sheldon Brown's famous site - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Padded shorts on the other hand are a must.

Tony

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not
dying." Woody Allen

"Lee" <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well kinda - i was told that i shouldnt need to wear them all the time
just
> to start with - thought id got over the SAS!

Membership of the SAS is nature's way of telling you a day or two's rest may be beneficial.

In article <[email protected]>, $*$*$*remove*$*$* [email protected] says...
> Hi again!
>
> Well, for some reason I found it a little harder this morning. The initial 10 minutes or so were
> like hell! Odd because I had plenty of sleep last night and it wasnt 1/2 as warm as it was
> yesterday biking home :)

possibly warm up time or body complaining it needs a rest day ;)

i'll soon know about it .. i have my bike with me today at work and come going home time its in the
saddle instead of the van for my first 15 mile ride home from work

just been out and its looking more and more like its gonna rain ... that would be a little
irritating for my first ride but it'll happen sooner or later. id prefer my first ride in pleasant
weather but i'll take whatever it gives me!

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:45:18 +0100, "Lee"
<gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote:

[SNIP]

>Im inclined to believe i MAY have been pushing it too hard this am. My first hill (after 30-60
>seconds ride) i pushed quite hard to start with - probably did myself in doing that!

Hi Lee

I tend to base my rides on time rather than distance as much as possible. Sometimes I'll feel
knackered after half an hour of slow trundlings; at other times I'lll stil feel fine after a fast
hour on my bike.

I appreciate you are commuting so your milage is set in stone. However, the speed at which you
travel isn't. If in doubt, leave a little earlier and don't be embarrassed about using a low, low
gear. That's why they're there after all.

Good luck James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

"doobrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> just been out and its looking more and more like its gonna rain ... that would be a little
> irritating for my first ride but it'll happen sooner or later. id prefer my first ride in pleasant
> weather but i'll take whatever it gives me!

look on the bright side. The rain will be warm yet refreshing. Much nicer than the horizontal stuff
with lumps of ice in it we will get later in the year :(

> "doobrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > just been out and its looking more and more like its gonna rain ... that would be a little
> > irritating for my first ride but it'll happen sooner or later. id prefer my first ride in
> > pleasant weather but i'll take whatever it gives me!
>
> look on the bright side. The rain will be warm yet refreshing. Much nicer than the horizontal
> stuff with lumps of ice in it we will get later in the year :(

thanks for painting that lovely image for me to look forward to - maybe time for those proper bike
helmets if it gets that bad!! ;)

although i have an incentive of a nice bike for next spring if i can keep up the cummute and control
my food intake. only a third of my overall bodyweight to go !!

"Lee" <$*$*$*remove*$*$*[email protected]> wrote in message

> Could be the warm up thing actually - i did try and push an early hill quite hard - ill take it
> steady in future!

I can go two ways in the morning, flat start and a longer ride or a hill start and a shorter one.
Except that the hill start ruins the rest of the ride and it feels like it's as long as the longer
(50% longer!) one.

Either take it steady (not necessarily easily) or try a different route if you can.

Robert (2x15 miles each day, all year round)

"doobrie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> thanks for painting that lovely image for me to look forward to - maybe time for those proper bike
> helmets if it gets that bad!! ;)
>
> although i have an incentive of a nice bike for next spring if i can keep up the cummute and
> control my food intake. only a third of my overall bodyweight to go !!

Remember, statistically it doesn't rain too many times a year while you are actually out on the road
(Manchester excepted).

> Lee wrote:
> >
> > Not got any cycling shorts although i do have some cycling boxer shorts - not worn them for a
> > while - may well do tomorrow tho! Ive got gel seat which helped a little!! I may well consider a
> > saddle change, ill see how it goes first tho!
>
> Usually, contrary to intuition, gel saddles are worse than the hard ones. The aim should be to
> rest with your weight carried by your sit bones which are designed to carry your weight and will
> pretty quickly adapt to the
extra
> use. The gel saddles distribute the weight onto other parts which are not designed for it. Short
> term comfort then quickly becomes long term discomfort. This is covered in much more detail in
> Sheldon Brown's
famous
> site - http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
>
> Padded shorts on the other hand are a must.
>
> Tony
>
> "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve immortality through not
> dying." Woody Allen

In that case i may take the gel seat off.. we shall see