Death By Medicine

"Eric Bohlman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> While it's not strictly speaking "alternative," exercise,
> particularly exercise that builds muscle, can reduce
> insulin resistance significantly. Send him over to
> alt.support.diabetes and misc.health.diabetes; he should
> particularly look at Jennifer's periodic post about using
> test results to adjust what you're doing.
=====================
I can check those NGs myself as he is not online. He doesn't
exercise because his feet hurt so bad and hurt all the time.
He does walk about 1/2 a mile a day - that's about it. One
foot is quite bad and it looks as though he will lose it.
His deepening depression isn't helping either.

I'll check these NGs - thanks.

Kim

"Eric Bohlman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in news:N62dnf6r8Zjn1NDdRVn-
> [email protected]:
>
> > I believe diet is my friend's worst problem. He's not
> > obese but loves high carbohydrate food. This is surely
> > why his sugar shoots up, drops, shoots back up... and he
> > never feels really well. Had he followed a good low-
> > carbo diet he may have been able to stay on the oral
> > meds instead of being switched to the needle. Do the
> > alts recommend he slowly drop his carb intake do you
> > know? He is willing to try some alt methods to control
> > his sugar. I think he knows better than the STOP taking
> > his insulin and doing his tests twice a day.
> If, as I suspect, he's only testing *before* meals, he
> needs to also start testing two hours *after* each meal.
> That will give him a much better
idea
> of how his meals are affecting his BG, and may be enough
> to motivate him
> change his diet (which just means limiting the amount of
> carbohydrate in each meal, not necessarily following
> anything like Atkins).
=========================
Yes, he tests before meals as far as I know. He tests twice
a day at this time. As I said he is no longer able to work
and is now having financial problems. SSD is dragging on and
on and on - his savings are gone. I think he would test more
but that too runs up his expenses.

I'm going to spend some time on the diabetes NGs and the net
to see what info I can find for him. I don't have much hope
because of his deepening depression, anger with SSD,
frustration, isolation and now severe financial problems.

Kim

"Gymmy Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yeah My ND, who happens to be a non-practicing MD, charges
> me almost $10 a session, while getting rich. As an MD he
> would charge me at least $35 per visit.
-=============== He/she must be independently wealthy to
cover the bills of a clinic, insurance, utilities, office
help etc. on $10 a session. What does he do during these
sessions and how long do they last?

Kim

He assesses your general emotional state, discusses your
particular problem, usually does some research in a few
large texts and spends 10 to 30 minutes with you doing this.
The time is based on your needs, his patient waiting list
and the day of the week.Some days are appointments only and
some are drop in, first come, first served. This is popular
among the Mennonite crowd as there are no needles or
unnatural substances involved.

"Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2cmdnUavOKMHCdPdRVn-
[email protected]...

> "Gymmy Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:NYqdnfabnZ-8ydPdRVn-
> [email protected]...
> > Yeah My ND, who happens to be a non-practicing MD,
> > charges me almost $10
> > session, while getting rich. As an MD he would charge me
> > at least $35
per

"Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in news:D[email protected]:

> Yes, he tests before meals as far as I know. He tests
> twice a day at this time. As I said he is no longer able
> to work and is now having financial problems. SSD is
> dragging on and on and on - his savings are gone. I think
> he would test more but that too runs up his expenses.

If he's in the US he should look into the Relion meter and
strips sold by Wal-Mart. The meter itself is about $9, and
the strips (which are the biggest expense in testing) are
about $21 for 50 strips, less than half the price of most
others. So for about $30, he could do an extra 3 tests a day
for two weeks, which would probably be long enough to give
him a good idea of how his meals are affecting his BG.

"Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "Gymmy Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:NYqdnfabnZ-8ydPdRVn-
> [email protected]...
>> Yeah My ND, who happens to be a non-practicing MD,
>> charges me almost $10 a session, while getting rich. As
>> an MD he would charge me at least $35 per visit.
> -=============== He/she must be independently wealthy to
> cover the bills of a clinic, insurance, utilities, office
> help etc. on $10 a session. What does he do during these
> sessions and how long do they last?

NDs can charge very little for office visits because a lot
of them make most of their money selling supplements as part
of their practice (and in a few cases, make money from
recruiting their patients into MLMs for the supplements).

"Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> "Eric Bohlman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > While it's not strictly speaking "alternative,"
> > exercise, particularly exercise that builds muscle, can
> > reduce insulin resistance
significantly.
> > Send him over to alt.support.diabetes and
> > misc.health.diabetes; he
should
> > particularly look at Jennifer's periodic post about
> > using test results
> > adjust what you're doing.
> =====================
> I can check those NGs myself as he is not online. He
> doesn't exercise because his feet hurt so bad and hurt all
> the time. He does walk about
1/2
> a mile a day - that's about it. One foot is quite bad and
> it looks as though he will lose it. His deepening
> depression isn't helping either.
>
> I'll check these NGs - thanks.

Kim, my son does not walk, except fo rshort distances with
leg braces and a walker. However, he exercises every day
using our home gym, a stationary bike, and a hand bike. His
upper body is very well developed, so much so that he
distracts the girls, and he works up a good sweat.

Exercise is also an excellent anti-depressant and, I hope
that you help him deal with it.

I do not see painful feet as being a reason not to exercise.

"Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

> "Eric Bohlman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in news:N62dnf6r8Zjn1NDdRVn-
> > [email protected]:
> >
> > > I believe diet is my friend's worst problem. He's not
> > > obese but loves high carbohydrate food. This is surely
> > > why his sugar shoots up, drops, shoots back up... and
> > > he never feels really well. Had he followed a good low-
> > > carbo diet he may have been able to stay on the oral
> > > meds instead of being switched to the needle. Do the
> > > alts recommend he slowly drop his carb intake do you
> > > know? He is willing to try some alt methods to control
> > > his sugar. I think he knows better than the STOP
> > > taking his insulin and doing his tests twice a day.
> > If, as I suspect, he's only testing *before* meals, he
> > needs to also
start
> > testing two hours *after* each meal. That will give him
> > a much better
> idea
> > of how his meals are affecting his BG, and may be enough
> > to motivate him
> > change his diet (which just means limiting the amount of
> > carbohydrate in each meal, not necessarily following
> > anything like Atkins).
> =========================
> Yes, he tests before meals as far as I know. He tests
> twice a day at
this
> time. As I said he is no longer able to work and is now
> having financial problems. SSD is dragging on and on and
> on - his savings are gone. I
think
> he would test more but that too runs up his expenses.

Could you please email me regarding this? I have some
concrete suggestions to get them moving, but do not want to
discuss it in the group.