Deep fryers... Recipes/advice please? :-)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by OmManiPadmiOmlet, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. Got it in the mail the other day, a 4 cup "fry daddy".
    I have purchased 1 gallon of peanut oil.

    I have never, ever used a deep fryer before! I plan to make eggrolls
    but other than that. I want to keep any cooking fairly low in flour
    content.

    Mom used to lightly coat chicken pieces in corn starch mixed with spices,
    then "deep fry" them in oil in the wok. IMHO too time consuming, but it
    sure was delicious.

    So, looking for ideas, recipes and warnings and precautions! Comes with
    a nice tight fitting lid and the cord plugs into it for easy removal.
    Looks like I'll be able to store the entire pot in the 'frige with the
    oil in it.

    How many times can I re-use the oil?
    How long can I keep it for use???

    Thanks for all comments and advice! :)
    --
    Peace!
    Om

    "My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch."
    - Jack Nicholson

    Tags:

  2. aem

    aem Guest

    OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
    > Got it in the mail the other day, a 4 cup "fry daddy".
    > I have purchased 1 gallon of peanut oil.
    > [snip]
    > So, looking for ideas, recipes and warnings and precautions! [snip]

    I have one of those but don't use it much because it's pretty small.
    Its advantage versus a deep pot on the stove is the thermostatic
    control. Luckily, one of the fun things to make also compensates in
    part for the small capacity, and that's twice-cooked french fries.
    This method produces a crispy outside and a fluffier than normal
    inside.

    Slice your russet potatoes to desired thickness, placing the cut
    potatoes in cold water while you finish them all. Preheat fryer to
    325°F. Dry potatoes very well with towels and fry for about 4
    minutes. They will be softened and partially cooked but hardly
    colored. Remove and set aside. Repeat with rest of potatoes. At this
    stage the potatoes can be kept cool for hours so you can finish them
    just before you eat.

    For the second frying, preheat fryer to 375°F. Fry potatoes for
    another 3-5 minutes until they are the golden brown you like. Salt and
    pepper them immediately. If you haven't had them this way, you'll like
    them.

    > How many times can I re-use the oil?
    > How long can I keep it for use???

    Strain the oil, using cheesecloth if you fried fish or something with a
    loose batter. Store cold and it will last for months. When you reuse
    it, put a scallion in the oil while it is preheating. Remove before
    it burns. -aem

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
    > Got it in the mail the other day, a 4 cup "fry daddy".
    > I have purchased 1 gallon of peanut oil.
    >
    > I have never, ever used a deep fryer before! I plan to make eggrolls
    > but other than that. I want to keep any cooking fairly low in flour
    > content.
    >
    > Mom used to lightly coat chicken pieces in corn starch mixed with
    > spices, then "deep fry" them in oil in the wok. IMHO too time
    > consuming, but it sure was delicious.

    This is time consuming as well but also very delicious (and very rich!)

    Walnut Sesame Chicken Strips

    2 whole chicken breasts (or 4 chicken breast halves, doh!)
    1 c. finely chopped walnuts
    1 c. sesame seeds
    2 egg whites
    1/4 c. milk
    1/4 c. cornstarch
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. sugar
    2 Tbs. dry sherry
    4 c. vegetable oil

    Partially freeze the chicken about 30 minutes to make it easier to slice.
    Slice into very thin strips. In a pie plate, combine walnuts with sesame
    seeds. Combine egg whites, cornstarch and milk, salt and sugar to make a
    stiff batter. Stir in sherry and blend well. Dip the chicken strips in the
    batter then roll in the nut/sesame seed mixture to coat. Place on a baking
    sheet in a single layer until all are done. Heat oil in a deep fryer or
    wokt o 300F degrees. Fry chicken strips in batches, 4 to 5 minutes, until
    golden brown.

    > So, looking for ideas, recipes and warnings and precautions! Comes
    > with a nice tight fitting lid and the cord plugs into it for easy
    > removal. Looks like I'll be able to store the entire pot in the
    > 'frige with the oil in it.
    >
    > How many times can I re-use the oil?
    > How long can I keep it for use???

    A couple of hints; if you use it for frying fish or seafood, don't turn
    around and use it to fry potatoes (aka french fries or crisps) unless you
    want your potatoes to taste like fish.

    The oil should be good for 4-5 uses. Let it cool before you store it
    (covered) in the fridge.

    And don't immerse the entire Fry Daddy in water! Does it have a removeable
    liner? You definitely don't want to get the plug part wet. I haven't had
    one of those things in 20 years but I remember well how not to ruin the use
    of it!

    Jill

  4. aem

    aem Guest

    OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
    > Got it in the mail the other day, a 4 cup "fry daddy".
    > I have purchased 1 gallon of peanut oil. ]snip]
    > So, looking for ideas, recipes and warnings and precautions! Comes with
    > a nice tight fitting lid and the cord plugs into it for easy removal.
    > Looks like I'll be able to store the entire pot in the 'frige with the
    > oil in it.

    I didn't notice this last sentence when I replied before. I don't
    think storing the entire pot with the oil is a great idea. You want to
    strain and filter the oil after use. While you're doing that you may
    as well wash out the fryer with soapy water. It has a teflon coating
    that probably is best stored clean and dry.

    I recalled another thing we've used the fryer for successfully: fish
    tacos. We've used fresh and frozen fish cut in bite-sized pieces --
    cod, yellowtail, pollock, halibut. Beer batter. Corn tortillas warmed
    in a dry pan, shredded cabbage, mayonnaise, lime juice, [fresh tomato
    salsa optional.] Fried the fish at 360°F plus or minus 10.

    Oh, one other thing: there is a technique called 'velveting' shrimp in
    some Chinese recipes. It basically means to pre-cook shrimp in
    moderately heated oil before later finishing with a hot stir fry. The
    Presto is a good tool for that because it saves you from having to put
    a lot of oil in a wok and then pour it out again. -aem

    -aem

  5. Andy

    Andy Guest

    OmManiPadmiOmlet <[email protected]> wrote in news:Notachance-
    [email protected]:

    > Got it in the mail the other day, a 4 cup "fry daddy".
    > I have purchased 1 gallon of peanut oil.
    >
    > I have never, ever used a deep fryer before! I plan to make eggrolls
    > but other than that. I want to keep any cooking fairly low in flour
    > content.
    >
    > Mom used to lightly coat chicken pieces in corn starch mixed with

    spices,
    > then "deep fry" them in oil in the wok. IMHO too time consuming, but it
    > sure was delicious.
    >
    > So, looking for ideas, recipes and warnings and precautions! Comes with
    > a nice tight fitting lid and the cord plugs into it for easy removal.
    > Looks like I'll be able to store the entire pot in the 'frige with the
    > oil in it.
    >
    > How many times can I re-use the oil?
    > How long can I keep it for use???
    >
    > Thanks for all comments and advice! :)

    Om,

    Safety tips:

    If you have a large enough fry pan to seat the deep fryer with the plug
    attachment comfortably in, do that. If the oil for whatever reason foams
    over, you don't have your counter and cabinets scarred from burning oil
    to clean up.

    As well, get a deep fry/candy thermometer so you can accurize your
    temperaturer control on the unit if it has one. In other words if it's
    dialed to 375, make sure the thermometer doesn't read 400. You get the
    idea.

    Deep fryers in restaurants look simple, but they're built to be idiot
    proof/immoveable objects. Household counter deep fryers are not so it
    requires much caution.

    More brainquakes brought to you by

    Andy

  6. aem

    aem Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > [snip]
    > As well, get a deep fry/candy thermometer so you can accurize your
    > temperaturer control on the unit if it has one. [snip]

    Calibrate? -aem

  7. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    aem wrote:

    > Andy wrote:
    > > [snip]
    > > As well, get a deep fry/candy thermometer so you can accurize
    > > your temperaturer control on the unit if it has one. [snip]

    > Calibrate? -aem

    A sad consequence of 5 years of Dubya's reign.
    Our language is crumbling, and nobody cares.
    It's like our roads, bridges, and educational
    system.

    The neo-con strategerie seems to be
    to Americanize Mexico and Mexicanize America.
    When complete, the whole continent will be
    like Texas. They're even trying to change the
    global climate to be more like Texas. :-O

  8. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:

    > Got it in the mail the other day, a 4 cup "fry daddy".
    > I have purchased 1 gallon of peanut oil.
    >
    > I have never, ever used a deep fryer before! I plan to make eggrolls
    > but other than that. I want to keep any cooking fairly low in flour
    > content.

    4 cups? That's really tiny. But I can see some
    advantages to that. Here's a recipe for the wontons
    I used to make, before I gave up deep-frying for
    health reasons. Note that this recipe is intended
    for a skillet or pot with a shallow layer of oil.
    If you use a deep fryer, you'll need a way to
    force the wontons under the surface of the oil
    to get uniform browning.

    * * * * * *

    A very easy wonton filling is pork sausage (prefer Farmer John's brand)
    and chopped parsely. Break up the sausages in a pan and lightly
    brown them. When ready, drain off the fat and dump the meat into
    a pad of paper towels. Wrap the meat in the towels and squeeze out
    as much fat and meat juice as possible.

    Wash and chop the parsely. Again, wrap it in paper towels and
    squeeze out the excess water. The purpose of squeezing out all
    the water is to prevent formation of steam in the fried wontons,
    which makes them puff up and can even cause them to burst.

    I always use square wonton wrappers. The wrappers are sealed with
    a little water, like sealing an envelope. I place a small lump
    of filling in the center, dip a finger in a cup of water and wet
    two adjacent edges of the wrapper, and fold it over to form a
    90-degree right triangle. The 90-degree corner is wetted and folded
    over to touch the fold. Then the one of the other two corners is
    wetted and wrapped around _on_the_other_side_ to seal with the opposite
    corner. This produces a structure similar to a tortellini.

    Make sure the oil is real hot before frying. When you can toss a
    single drop of water in the oil and it makes a crackling noise,
    that's about right. The depth of the oil should be only half
    an inch or so. If it's deeper, the wontons will float and turn with
    their heavy side down, and only get properly browned on one side.
    Shallower oil allows you to cook one side first, then flip them
    over to do the other side. The wontons should cook in a couple of
    minutes. If they get real brown in thirty seconds, you've got a
    very hot stovetop and should turn the heat down. On my 60-year-old
    gas stovetop, I have to run the burner at its highest heat to
    get the right temperature. But once I made this recipe at a
    friend's house, and that stovetop was capable of real high heat.
    That took me by surprise, and I'm lucky we didn't have a fire.

    Drain on brown paper bags covered with paper towels. A barbeque
    tongs makes the whole process much easier. Contadina tomato
    sauce makes a nice and cheap dipping sauce. These are best
    served while still hot.

  9. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:21:12 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:

    > Got it in the mail the other day, a 4 cup "fry daddy".
    > I have purchased 1 gallon of peanut oil.
    >
    > I have never, ever used a deep fryer before! I plan to make eggrolls
    > but other than that. I want to keep any cooking fairly low in flour
    > content.

    Shrimp toast. Ground shrimp, sesame oil, egg white, lemongrass,
    finely chopped garlic and onion, salt. Spread on baguette rounds
    (you can make them thin slices for low-carb) and deep fry.

    I'll probably do this tonight.

    A 4-cup Fry-Daddy? That's pretty whimpy. But I guess efficient
    for small batches of food (nothing bigger than chicken wings).

    -sw

  10. Yeff

    Yeff Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:55:11 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

    > A couple of hints; if you use it for frying fish or seafood, don't turn
    > around and use it to fry potatoes (aka french fries or crisps) unless you
    > want your potatoes to taste like fish.

    I used to be in the US Air Force. I went to tech school in 1984 and I
    can still remember when I and my classmates all got our assignment
    sheets.

    A goodly portion of the class would be going to RAF Chicksands if/when
    they graduated. Our instructor had been stationed there more than once
    and was very enthusiastic about the assignment. His only caution
    (besides warning against killing any of the Queen's ducks or messing
    with the nearby witches coven) was to not eat at any of the McDonald's
    while in England.

    I thought his reasoning would be something along the lines of being in a
    foreign country and trying their cuisine rather than just eating
    familiar American fast food. Nope, his reasoning was that everything
    tasted like fish. I never could tell if he was being apocryphal or if
    that really was his experience with McDonald's in England in the late
    70s, early 80s.

    --

    -Jeff B.
    zoomie at fastmail dot fm

  11. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1145128383.315500.3630
    @z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > Andy wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >> As well, get a deep fry/candy thermometer so you can accurize your
    >> temperaturer control on the unit if it has one. [snip]

    > Calibrate? -aem

    I have a broken finger, a shitty keyboard and lots of guns. Sorry! I stand
    correctly. :D

    Andy

  12. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > aem wrote:
    >>
    >> Andy wrote:
    >> > [snip]
    >> > As well, get a deep fry/candy thermometer so you can accurize
    >> > your temperaturer control on the unit if it has one. [snip]

    >> Calibrate? -aem

    > A sad consequence of 5 years of Dubya's reign.
    > Our language is crumbling, and nobody cares.
    > It's like our roads, bridges, and educational
    > system.
    >
    > The neo-con strategerie seems to be
    > to Americanize Mexico and Mexicanize America.
    > When complete, the whole continent will be
    > like Texas. They're even trying to change the
    > global climate to be more like Texas. :-O

    Mark,

    I de-served that. ;)

    Andy

  13. aem

    aem Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1145128383.315500.3630
    > @z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    > >
    > > Andy wrote:
    > >> [snip]
    > >> As well, get a deep fry/candy thermometer so you can accurize your
    > >> temperaturer control on the unit if it has one. [snip]

    > > Calibrate? -aem

    > I have a broken finger, a shitty keyboard and lots of guns. Sorry! I stand
    > correctly. :D

    I'm down to only one gun nowadays, and I can't remember when I last
    accurized it -- I mean, sighted it in. Is it your trigger finger
    that's broken? Bummer, when there are soon going to be all those
    escaped Easter bunny rabbits that need shooting. -aem

  14. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    Yeff wrote:

    > His only caution (besides warning against killing
    > any of the Queen's ducks or messing with the nearby
    > witches coven) was to not eat at any of the McDonald's
    > while in England.

    Did he say anything specific about problems that
    would result from messing with the witches coven?
    I should think they would be rather mellow people
    to deal with, but that's only my unfounded
    speculation.

  15. jay

    jay Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:21:12 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:

    > How many times can I re-use the oil?
    > How long can I keep it for use???
    >
    > and advice! :)

    Fresh oil is always good! I do love peanut oil.
    Unless you need peanut oil for something special canola is about 1/2
    as expensive and a great product.

  16. Yeff

    Yeff Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:18:53 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

    > Did he say anything specific about problems that
    > would result from messing with the witches coven?

    Nothing specific. The one thing I heard consistently from people who
    had been stationed there was that they were "spooky".

    --

    -Jeff B.
    zoomie at fastmail dot fm

  17. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Yeff wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:18:53 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
    >
    >> Did he say anything specific about problems that
    >> would result from messing with the witches coven?

    > Nothing specific. The one thing I heard consistently from people who
    > had been stationed there was that they were "spooky".

    Yeah, we are a spooky bunch ;)

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    jay <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:21:12 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
    >

    > > How many times can I re-use the oil?
    > > How long can I keep it for use???
    > >
    > > and advice! :)

    > Fresh oil is always good! I do love peanut oil.
    > Unless you need peanut oil for something special canola is about 1/2
    > as expensive and a great product.

    I won't use Canola oil.
    The smoke point is not high enough, but thanks! :)

    I bought 1 gallon of peanut oil for around $7.00 and this is only a 4
    cup fryer.

    Thanks for the input!
    --
    Peace!
    Om

    "My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch."
    - Jack Nicholson

  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    Yeff <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:18:53 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
    >
    > > Did he say anything specific about problems that
    > > would result from messing with the witches coven?

    > Nothing specific. The one thing I heard consistently from people who
    > had been stationed there was that they were "spooky".

    People fear what they do not understand...

    Read this (very long) essay for a better understanding of the older
    spiritual process, Pre-dates the Christian pantheon:

    ~~ "We Are the Other People" ~~

    "Ding-dong!" goes the doorbell. Is it Avon calling? Or
    perhaps Ed McMahon with my three million dollars? No, it's
    Yahweh's Witnesses again, just wanting to have a nice little
    chat about the Bible... Boy, did they ever come to the wrong
    house!

    So we invite them in: "Enter freely and of your own will..."
    (Hey, it's Sunday morning, nothing much going on, why not
    have a little entertainment?) Diane and I amuse ourselves
    watching their expressions as they check out the living room:
    great horned owl on the back of my chair; ceremonial masks
    and medicine skulls of dragons and unicorns on the wall;
    crystals, wands, staffs, swords; lots of Goddess figures and
    several altars; boa constrictors draped in amorous embrace
    over the elkhorn; white doves sitting in the hanging planters;
    cats and weasels underfoot; iron dragon snorting steam
    atop the wood stove; posters and paintings of wizards
    and dinosaurs and witchy women, some proudly naked;
    sculptures of mythological beasties and lots more dinosaurs;
    warp six on the star-filled viewscreen of my computer; a
    five-foot model of the USS Enterprise and the skeleton of a
    plesiosaur hanging from the ceiling; very, very many books,
    most of them dealing with obviously weird subjects... To say
    nothing of the great horned owl perched on the back of my
    chair and the Unicorn grazing in the front yard. You know;
    early Adams Family decor.

    And then, of course, it being late in the morning, you can
    expect Morning Glory to come wandering out naked, looking
    for her wake-up cup of tea. Morning Glory naked is a truly
    impressive sight, and the Witnesses look as if she'd set titties
    on stun as they stand immobilized, hands clasped over their
    genitals. With the stage set and all the actors in place, the
    show is ready to begin.

    Their mission, of course, is to save our heathen souls by
    turning us on to "The Word of the Lord"- their Bible. I
    guess they figger some of us just haven't heard about it yet,
    and we're all eagerly awaiting their joyous tidings of personal
    salvation through giving our rational faculties to Jesus. Every
    time they come around, I look forward to trying out a new
    riposte. Sure, it may be cruel and sadistic of me, but hey, I
    didn't call them up and ask them to come over; they entered
    at their own risk! This time should be pretty good.

    After letting them run off their basic rap while lovely
    Morning Glory serves us all hot herb tea, I innocently
    remark: "But none of that applies to us. We have no need
    for salvation because we don't have original sin. We are the
    Other People."

    "Hunh? What?" they reply eloquently. It's clear they've never
    heard this one before. "Right," I say. "It's all in your Bible."
    And I proceed to tell them the story, using their own book for
    reference: (Genesis 1:26) The [Elohim] said, "Let us make
    humanity in our own image, in the likeness of ourselves, and
    let them be masters of the fish of the sea, the birds of heaven,
    the cattle, all the wild beasts and all the reptiles that crawl
    upon the earth." Elohim is a plural word, including male and
    female, and should properly be translated "Gods" or
    "Pantheon."

    (1: 27) The Gods created humanity in the image of
    themselves, In the image of the Gods they created them,
    Male and female they created them. (1:28) The Gods blessed
    them, saying to them, "Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth and
    conquer it. Be masters of the fish of the sea, the birds of
    heaven and all living animals on the earth." Now clearly,
    here we are talking about the original creation of the human
    species: male and female. All the animals, plants, etc. have all
    been created in previous verses. This is before the Garden of
    Eden, and Yahweh is not mentioned as the creator of these
    people.

    The next chapter talks about how Yahweh, an individual
    member of the Pantheon, goes about assembling his own
    special little botanical and zoological Garden in Eden, and
    making his own little man to inhabit it: (Gen 2:7) Yahweh
    God fashioned a man of dust from the soil. Then he breathed
    into his nostrils a breath of life, and thus the man became a
    living being. (2:8) Yahweh God planted a garden in Eden
    which is in the east, and there he put the man he had
    fashioned. (2:9) Yahweh God caused to spring up from the
    soil every kind of tree, enticing to look at and good to eat,
    with the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and
    evil in the middle of the garden. (2:15) Yahweh God took the
    man and settled him in the garden of Eden to cultivate and
    take care of it.

    Now this next is crucial: note Yahweh's precise words: (2:16)
    Then Yahweh God gave the man this admonition, "You may
    eat indeed of all the trees in the garden. (2:17) Nevertheless
    of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you are not to
    eat, for on the day you eat of it you shall most surely die."
    Fateful words, those. We will refer back to this admonition
    later.

    Then Yahweh decides to make a woman to go with the man.
    Now, don't forget that the Pantheon had earlier created a
    whole population of people, "male and female," who are
    presumably doing just fine somewhere "outside the gates
    of Eden." But this set-up in Eden is Yahweh's own little
    experiment, and will unfold to its own separate destiny.
    (2:21) So Yahweh God made the man fall into a deep sleep.
    And while he slept, he took one of his ribs and enclosed it in
    flesh. (2:22) Yahweh God built the rib he had taken from the
    man into a woman, and brought her to the man. Right. Man
    gives birth to woman. Sure he does. But that's the way the
    story is told here. (2:25) Now both of them were naked, the
    man and his wife, but they felt no shame in front of each
    other. Well, of course not! Why should they? But take
    careful note of those words, as they also will prove to be
    significant...

    Now this next part is where it starts to get interesting. Enter
    the Serpent: (Gen. 3:1) The serpent was the most subtle of
    all the wild beasts that Yahweh God had made. It asked the
    woman, "Did God really say you were not to eat from any
    of the trees in the garden?" (3:2) The woman answered the
    serpent, "We may eat the fruit of the trees in the garden. (3:3)
    "But of the fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden God
    said, 'You must not eat it, nor touch it, under pain of death."
    (3:4) Then the serpent said to the woman, "No! You will not
    die! (3:5) "God knows in fact that on the day you eat it your
    eyes will be opened and you will be like gods, knowing good
    and evil."

    What a remarkable statement! "Your eyes will be opened and
    you will be like gods, knowing good and evil." The Serpent
    directly contradicts Yahweh. Obviously, one of them has to
    be lying. Which one, do you suppose? And, if the serpent
    speaks true, wouldn't you wish to eat of the magic fruit?
    Wouldn't it be a good thing, to become "like gods, knowing
    good and evil"? Or is it preferable to remain in ignorance?

    (Gen. 3:6) The woman saw that the tree was good to eat
    and pleasing to the eye, and that it was desirable for the
    knowledge that it could give. So she took some of its fruit
    and ate it. She gave some also to her husband who was with
    her, and he ate it. (3:7) Then the eyes of both of them were
    opened and they realized that they were naked. So they sewed
    fig leaves together to make themselves loincloths. The author
    makes an interesting assumption here: that if you realize you
    are naked you will automatically want to cover yourself.
    Further implications will unfold shortly...

    (Gen. 3:8) The man and his wife heard the sound of Yahweh
    God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they
    hid from Yahweh God among the trees of the garden. (3:9)
    But Yahweh God called to the man. "Where are you?" he
    asked. (3:10) "I heard the sound of you in the garden," he
    replied. "I was afraid because I was naked, so I hid." (3:11)
    "Who told you that you were naked?" he asked. "Have you
    been eating of the tree I forbade you to eat?"

    And so the sign of the Fall becomes modesty. Take note of
    this. The descendants of Adam and Eve will be distinguished
    throughout history from virtually all other peoples by their
    obsessive modesty taboos, wherein they will feel ashamed of
    being naked. It follows that those who feel no shame in being
    naked are, by definition, not carriers of this spiritual disease
    of original sin!

    (Gen. 3:12) The man replied,"It was the woman you put with
    me; she gave me the fruit, and I ate it." Right. Blame the
    woman. What a turkey! (3:13) Then Yahweh God asked the
    woman, "What is this you have done?" The woman replied,
    "The serpent tempted me and I ate. "So of course she blames
    the serpent. But just what did the serpent do that was so evil?
    Why, he called Yahweh a liar! Was he wrong? Let's see...
    (3:21) Yahweh God made clothes out of skins for the man
    and his wife, and they put them on. Out of skins? This means
    that Yahweh had to kill some innocent animals to pander to
    Adam and Eve's new obsession with modesty!

    And now we come to the crux of the Fall. Yahweh had said
    back there in chapter (2:17), regarding the fruit of the tree
    of knowledge, that "on the day you eat of it you shall most
    surely die." The Serpent, on the other hand, had contradicted
    Yahweh in chapter (3:4-5): "No! You will not die! God
    knows in fact that on the day you eat it your eyes will be
    opened and you will be like gods, knowing good and evil."

    So what actually happened? Who lied and who told the truth
    about this remarkable fruit? The answer is given in the next
    verse: (3:22) Then Yahweh God said, "See, the man has
    become like one of us, with his knowledge of good and evil.
    He must not be allowed to stretch his hand out next and pick
    from the tree of life also, and eat some and live forever."

    Get that? Yahweh himself admits that he had lied! In fact, and
    in Yahweh's own words, the Serpent spoke the absolute truth!
    And moreover, Yahweh tells the rest of the Pantheon that
    he intends to evict Adam (and presumably Eve as well) to
    keep them from gaining immortality to go with their newly-
    acquired divine knowledge. To prevent them, in other words,
    from truly becoming gods! So who, in this story, comes off
    as a benefactor of humanity, and who comes off as a tyrant?
    THE SERPENT NEVER LIED!

    This story, to digress slightly, bears a remarkable resemblance
    to a contemporary tale from ancient Greece. In that version,
    the Serpent (later identified as Lucifer, the Light-Bearer) may
    be equated with the heroic titan Prometheus, who championed
    humanity against the tyranny of Zeus, who wished for people
    to be mere slaves of the gods.

    Prometheus, whose name means "forethought," gave people
    wisdom, intelligence, and fire stolen from Olympus. Moreover,
    he ordained the portions of animal sacrifice so that humans
    got the best parts (the meat and hides) while the portion that
    was burned to the gods was the bones and fat.

    In punishment for this defiance of his divine authority, Zeus
    condemned Prometheus to a terrible punishment for an
    immortal: to be chained to a mountain in the Caucasus, where
    Zeus' gryphon/eagle (actually a Lammergier) would devour
    his liver each day. It would grow back each night. Zeus
    promised to relent if Prometheus would reveal his great
    secret knowledge: Who would succeed Zeus as supreme
    god? Prometheus refused to tell, but history has revealed the
    answer...

    The interesting thing about all this is that the Greeks properly
    regarded Prometheus as a noble hero in his defiance of
    unjust tyranny. One may wonder why the Serpent is not so
    well regarded. On the contrary, snakes are loathed throughout
    Christendom. (3:23) So Yahweh God expelled him from the
    garden of Eden, to till the soil from which he had been taken.
    (3:24) He banished the man, and in front of the garden of
    Eden he posted the cherubs, and the flame of a flashing
    sword, to guard the way to the tree of life. So that's it for the
    Fall.

    But the story of Adam and Eve doesn't end there. (Gen 4:1)
    The man had intercourse with his wife Eve, and she
    conceived and gave birth to Cain... (4:2) She gave birth to a
    second child, Abel, the brother of Cain. Now Abel became
    a shepherd and kept flocks, while Cain tilled the soil. (4:3)
    Time passed and Cain brought some of the produce of the
    soil as an offering for Yahweh, (4:4) while Abel, for his part,
    brought the first-born of his flock and some of their fat as
    well.

    Yahweh looked with favor on Abel and his offering. But he
    did not look with favor on Cain and his offering, and Cain
    was very angry and downcast. Well, why shouldn't he be?
    Both brothers had brought forth their first fruits as offerings,
    but Yahweh rejected the vegetables and only accepted the
    blood sacrifice. This was to set a gruesome precedent: (4:8)
    Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let us go out;" and while
    they were in the open country, Cain set on his brother Abel
    and killed him. Accursed and marked for fratricide, (4:16)
    Cain left the presence of Yahweh and settled in the land of
    Nod, east of Eden. We can assume that the phrase "left the
    presence of Yahweh" implies that Yahweh is a local deity,
    and not omnipresent.

    Now Eden, according to (Gen. 2:14-15), was situated at the
    source of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, apparently right
    where Lake Van is now, in Turkey. "East of Eden," therefore,
    would probably be along the shores of the Caspian Sea, right
    in the Indo-European heartland.

    Cain settled in there, among the people of Nod, and married
    one of the women of that country. Here, for the first time, is
    specifically mentioned the "other people" who are not of the
    lineage of Adam and Eve. i.e: the Pagans. So let's look at this
    story from another viewpoint:

    There we were, around six thousand years ago, living in
    our little farming communities around the Caspian Sea, in
    the land of Nod, when this dude with a terrible scar comes
    stumbling in out of the sunset. He tells us this bizarre story,
    about how his mother and father had been created by some
    god named Yahweh, and put in charge of a beautiful garden
    somewhere out west, and how they had gotten thrown out for
    disobedience after eating some of the landlord's forbidden
    magic fruit of enlightenment. He tells us of murdering his
    brother, as the god of his parents would only accept blood
    sacrifice, and of receiving that scar as a mark so that all
    would know him as a fratricide.

    The poor guy is really a mess psychologically, obsessed with
    guilt. He is also obsessively modest, insisting on wearing
    clothes even in the hottest summer, and he has a hard time
    with our penchant for skinny-dipping in the warm inland
    sea. He seems to believe that he is tainted by the "sin" of his
    parent's disobedience; that it is in his blood, somehow, and
    will continue to contaminate his children and his children's
    children.

    One of our healing women takes pity on the poor sucker,
    and marries him... (4:17) Cain had intercourse with his wife,
    and she conceived and gave birth to Enoch. He became the
    builder of a town, and he gave the town the name of his son
    Enoch. With both of their first sons not turning out very
    well, Adam and Eve decided to try again: (4:25) Adam had
    intercourse with his wife, and she gave birth to a son whom
    she named Seth... (4:26) A son was also born to Seth, and he
    named him Enosh. This man was the first to invoke the name
    of Yahweh.

    Now it doesn't mention here where Seth's wife came from.
    Another woman from Nod, possibly, or maybe someone
    from another neolithic community downstream in the
    Tigris-Euphrates valley. But her folks also, cannot be of the
    lineage of Adam and Eve, and must also be counted among
    "the other people."

    But whatever happened to Adam? After all, way back there
    in chapter Gen. 2:17, warning Adam about the magic fruit of
    knowledge, Yahweh had told him that "on the day you eat of
    it you shall most surely die." So, when did Adam die? (Gen.
    5:4) Adam lived for eight hundred years after the birth of
    Seth and he became the father of sons and daughters. (5:5)
    In all, Adam lived for nine hundred and thirty years; then he
    died. Hey, that's pretty good! Nine hundred and some odd
    years isn't bad for a man who's been told he's gonna die the
    next day!

    Well, the story goes on, and maybe next time the Witlesses
    come to visit I'll tell more of it. But suffice it to say that those
    of us who are not of Semitic descent (i.e., not of the lineage
    of Adam and Eve) cannot share in the Original Sin that
    comes with that lineage. Being that the Bible is the story of
    that lineage, of Adam and Eve's descendants and their special
    relationship with their particular god, Yahweh, it follows that
    this is not the story of the rest of us. We may have been
    Cain's wife's people, or Seth's wife's people, or some other
    people over the hill and far away, but whichever people the
    rest of us are, as far as the Bible is concerned, we are the
    Other People, and so we are continually referred to
    throughout.

    Later books of the Bible are filled with admonitions to the
    followers of Yahweh to "learn not the ways of the Pagans..."
    (Jer 10:2) with detailed descriptions of exactly what it is we
    do, such as erect standing stones and sacred poles, worship
    in sacred groves and practice divination and magic. And
    worship the sun, moon, stars and the "Queen of Heaven."
    "You must not behave as they do in Egypt where once you
    lived; you must not behave as they do in Canaan where I am
    taking you. You must not follow their laws." (Lev 18:3) For
    Yahweh, as he so clearly emphasizes, is not the god of the
    Pagans.

    We have our own lineage and our own heritage, and our tale
    is not told in the Bible. We were not "made" like clay
    figurines by a male deity out of "dust from the soil." We
    were born of our Mother the Earth, and have evolved over
    aeons in Her nurturing embrace. All of us, in our many and
    diverse tribes, have creation myths and legends of our origins
    and history; some of these tales may even be actually true.

    Like the descendants of Adam and Eve, many of us also have
    stories of great floods, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and
    other cataclysms that wiped out whole communities of our
    people, wherein "I alone survived to tell the tale." Nearly all
    of our ancestral tribes (and especially those of us who today
    are reclaiming our own Pagan heritage) lack that peculiar
    obsessive body modesty that seems to be a hallmark of the
    original sin alluded to in the story of the Fall. We can be
    naked and unashamed! Why, our Goddess even tells us, "as a
    sign that you are truly free, you shall be naked in your rites."
    Not being born into sin, we have no need of salvation, and no
    need of a Messiah to redeem our sinful souls.

    Neither heaven nor hell is our destination in the afterlife; we
    have our own various arrangements with our own various
    deities. The Bible is not our story; we have our own stories
    to tell, and they are many and diverse. In a long life, you may
    get to hear many of them... May you live long and prosper!

    By Oberon (Otter) Zell
    --
    Peace!
    Om

    "My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch."
    - Jack Nicholson

  20. In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yeff wrote:
    > > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:18:53 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
    > >
    > >> Did he say anything specific about problems that
    > >> would result from messing with the witches coven?

    > > Nothing specific. The one thing I heard consistently from people who
    > > had been stationed there was that they were "spooky".

    > Yeah, we are a spooky bunch ;)

    Only to the ignorant........ ;-D

    B*B!