Deep fryers... Recipes/advice please? :-)

oops... said in my post above

Frozen chips:
don't that
^^^^^
heat oil to max setting (190DegC)
Drain before removing from basket

meant don't thaw

LJ

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:55:28 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> May you live long and prosper!

> I can't do that thing with my fingers. :-(
>
> Carol

Have you seen the commercial for Aleve with Leonard Nimoy? He's about to
address a Star Trek convention and he's on the phone with his agent saying
he can't do it, he can't do it! Then he takes Aleve and goes out and does
the finger split thing (which, by the way, I can do.)

I had to look twice though, because I don't recognize Mr. Spock anymore.
Used to love "film day" in junior high school when they'd show him doing 'In
Search of' shows.

Jill

In article <[email protected]>,
"LadyJane" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

<cool recipes saved to disk>

> cheers & enjoy your deep fryer Om - and give the high carb stuff a look
> in - it's not too bad if you only have high carb occasionally....and is
> so nice!!!
> LadyJane
> --

Thanks LJ! :)

Eating a high carb meal about once per week is actually beneficial.
I stall out on the weight loss if I keep it TOO low carb!

I've upped my carbs from 20 grams per day to 50 so can afford some
breading. It seems to be working a helluva lot better and the scale is
_finally_ beginning to drop again. <g>

Total calorie control is still important, contrary to popular belief
about low carbing.
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****."
- Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Yeff wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:18:53 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:
>>
>>> Did he say anything specific about problems that
>>> would result from messing with the witches coven?

>> Nothing specific. The one thing I heard consistently from people who
>> had been stationed there was that they were "spooky".

>Yeah, we are a spooky bunch ;)

Oh, God! Trollops... Floozies... And now Witches!

Cheers, Phred.

--
[email protected]LID

In article <[email protected]>,
"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:55:28 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> May you live long and prosper!

> > I can't do that thing with my fingers. :-(
> >
> > Carol

> Have you seen the commercial for Aleve with Leonard Nimoy? He's about to
> address a Star Trek convention and he's on the phone with his agent saying
> he can't do it, he can't do it! Then he takes Aleve and goes out and does
> the finger split thing (which, by the way, I can do.)

I don't watch TV anymore. :-(

> I had to look twice though, because I don't recognize Mr. Spock anymore.
> Used to love "film day" in junior high school when they'd show him doing 'In
> Search of' shows.
>
> Jill

The cast of Star Trek is aging/dying.
We've already lost "Scotty" and "Dr. McCoy". <sigh>
Nimoy still looks pretty good but Shatner looks like ****. :-(
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****."
- Jack Nicholson

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 06:21:18 GMT, [email protected] (Phred)
wrote:

>Oh, God! Trollops... Floozies... And now Witches!

LOL! I only qualify as a trollop. I'm not a lush, and I'm not a
witch. But I have been known (quite recently, in fact) to be a *****.

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:14:03 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I buy Sesame seeds for $7.00 per 5 lb. bag at the Oriental market. ;-)
>I keep them in the freezer in a ziplock except for what I dispense into
>my 8 oz. shaker jar for cooking.
>
>I use them quite a bit on stir fry's and steamed veggies, and sometimes
>grilled meats. I also use them a lot in sauces. My dad and I like them a
>lot! The 8 oz. shaker jar lasts about a month at most.

Wow! You *do* use a lot of sesame seeds! I would, too, if I
remembered. I've just never gotten into a habit of using them. I'll
attempt to remedy that!

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:14:52 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:55:28 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >May you live long and prosper!

>> I can't do that thing with my fingers. :-(
>>
>> Carol

>I can.
>
>With both hands. <G>

Cool! An ambidexterous Vulcan!

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

On 15 Apr 2006 22:27:39 -0700, "LadyJane"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Daughter bought me a Sunbeam Cafe Series Deep fryer not so long ago...
>still enjoying the occasional fry-up! Can thoroughly recommend it - it
>has a low-heat zone at the bottom of the vat preventing burning of
>particles which inevitable come off during cooking period.
>Also all stainless steel and comes apart completely and the whole lot
>(minus control unit with 2400 watt heating element, thermostat & timer)
>can go in the dishwasher! Including the outer casing and the 4L
>capacity s/s tank! The element is suspended creating a cool zone, which
>doubles the life of the oil.
>
>Recipe booklet included some great hints and tips, as well as some
>recipes:

Whoo-hoo! Thanks for those recipes! I gave Crash a deep fryer for
Father's Day last year, if I remember right. He's only used it a
couple times. Thanks for the inspiration to use that thing again!

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:48:07 -0500, "jmcquown"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:55:28 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> May you live long and prosper!

>> I can't do that thing with my fingers. :-(
>>
>> Carol

>Have you seen the commercial for Aleve with Leonard Nimoy? He's about to
>address a Star Trek convention and he's on the phone with his agent saying
>he can't do it, he can't do it! Then he takes Aleve and goes out and does
>the finger split thing (which, by the way, I can do.)

Yeah, I've seen that one. Burst out in a big smile the first time I
saw it. (I can do the finger split thing on both hands, too - I said
that for comic effect) <EG>

>I had to look twice though, because I don't recognize Mr. Spock anymore.

No kidding! He looks so different! Has he gotten dentures, do you
think?

Carol
--

Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Stolen from "traid" on the IRC

"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:14:52 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I can't do that thing with my fingers. :-(
> >>
> >> Carol

> >I can.
> >
> >With both hands. <G>

> Cool! An ambidexterous Vulcan!

I can to it with both hands too *strutt* AND I can move my wee toe
independently (I wonder if I ought to have admitted that one:)

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:14:03 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I buy Sesame seeds for $7.00 per 5 lb. bag at the Oriental market. ;-)
> >I keep them in the freezer in a ziplock except for what I dispense into
> >my 8 oz. shaker jar for cooking.
> >
> >I use them quite a bit on stir fry's and steamed veggies, and sometimes
> >grilled meats. I also use them a lot in sauces. My dad and I like them a
> >lot! The 8 oz. shaker jar lasts about a month at most.

> Wow! You *do* use a lot of sesame seeds! I would, too, if I
> remembered. I've just never gotten into a habit of using them. I'll
> attempt to remedy that!
>
> Carol

IMHO they add an awesome texture, and dad really likes them. :)
Poppy seeds can be fun too on steamed veggies, but I don't use them as
much.
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****."
- Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:14:52 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I can't do that thing with my fingers. :-(
> >>
> >> Carol

> >I can.
> >
> >With both hands. <G>

> Cool! An ambidexterous Vulcan!
>
> Carol

<snicker>
--

"Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 00:14:52 -0500, OmManiPadmiOmlet
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >I can.
> > >
> > >With both hands. <G>

> > Cool! An ambidexterous Vulcan!

> I can to it with both hands too *strutt* AND I can move my wee toe
> independently (I wonder if I ought to have admitted that one:)

Ooh, I can't do that!
Just tried..... <jealous look>
--

OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:

> So, has anyone here actually ever USED a Fry Daddy
> appliance?????????????????????????????????

Yes, I've had one for years. Though I've never made anything low carb.

My favorite is steak fingers. Strips of steak with ground up cracker
crumbs for breading. Very tasty.

Sometimes I do prawns, chicken, and cat fish too.

Cheese sticks are good too, especially cream cheese.

But really, these are all fattening, so I don't do it very often. 2-3
times a year, and then really savor it. For my nephew;s birthday, I do
onion rings too.

For a reduced breading, try corn starch. That's what the chinese cooks
at work use for the two meat items that are fried, but with very little
coating.

I have no idea how to cook anything halfway healthy in a fry daddy.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Phred) wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, "jmcquown"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Yeff wrote:

> >> Nothing specific. The one thing I heard consistently from people who
> >> had been stationed there was that they were "spooky".

> >Yeah, we are a spooky bunch ;)

> Oh, God! Trollops... Floozies... And now Witches!
>
> Cheers, Phred.

And you luv it...... right? ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****."
- Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 06:21:18 GMT, [email protected] (Phred)
> wrote:
>
> >Oh, God! Trollops... Floozies... And now Witches!

> LOL! I only qualify as a trollop. I'm not a lush, and I'm not a
> witch. But I have been known (quite recently, in fact) to be a *****.
>
> Carol

*****:

Beautiful
Intelligent
Talented
Charismatic
Heroic

Remember, you are not "A *****".
You are "The *****",
and it's "Ms. *****" to the world......... ;-D
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****."
- Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmiOmlet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > Cool! An ambidexterous Vulcan!

> > I can to it with both hands too *strutt* AND I can move my wee toe
> > independently (I wonder if I ought to have admitted that one:)

> Ooh, I can't do that!
> Just tried..... <jealous look>

*strutt*

> OmManiPadmiOmlet wrote:
>
> > So, has anyone here actually ever USED a Fry Daddy
> > appliance?????????????????????????????????
> >

> Yes, I've had one for years. Though I've never made anything low carb.
>
> My favorite is steak fingers. Strips of steak with ground up cracker
> crumbs for breading. Very tasty.
>
> Sometimes I do prawns, chicken, and cat fish too.
>
> Cheese sticks are good too, especially cream cheese.
>
> But really, these are all fattening, so I don't do it very often. 2-3
> times a year, and then really savor it. For my nephew;s birthday, I do
> onion rings too.

I'm going to have to try jalapeno poppers with a mix of colby jack and
cream cheese. ;-d

> For a reduced breading, try corn starch. That's what the chinese cooks
> at work use for the two meat items that are fried, but with very little
> coating.

That's what I was considering. I think Tempura batter is corn starch
based?

> I have no idea how to cook anything halfway healthy in a fry daddy.

<lol> I don't plan to make it a daily thing. If one can keep low carb
tho', fat (especially non-sat fats which includes most frying oils) is
not as bad of an issue. It's just a matter of portion control to keep
the calorie count reasonable. :)

Thanks!
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother nevers saw the irony in calling me a Son of a *****."
- Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmiOmlet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > I can to it with both hands too *strutt* AND I can move my wee toe
> > > independently (I wonder if I ought to have admitted that one:)

> > Ooh, I can't do that!
> > Just tried..... <jealous look>

> *strutt*

<pout>