Denmead Traffic Calming

[Not Responding]

Guest
Someone here brought up the topic of a traffic calming proposal in
Denmead, Hampshire that included the spectre of 8 central islands. I'm
sorry but I forget exactly who.

Anyway, I was moved to sign the online petition which resulted in an
interview with the local paper. Never did see the article.

The decision has been made and can be found here

http://www.hants.gov.uk/decisions/decisions-docs/040914-exeenv-R0910152304.html

It seems that the consultation process *did* have some effect:

"...An objection was received in respect of cycle safety at refuge
islands. Extensive surveys, further investigations and discussions
have subsequently taken place, resulting in a revised scheme for
refuge islands on Hambledon Road, with a reduction from 8 to 3,
accompanied by surface treatment to highlight the need for motorists
to leave space for cyclists. The Cyclists' Touring Club has approved
the new proposals...."

So whoever it was that raised the objection and ran the cyclists'
input, well done!

>"...An objection was received in respect of cycle safety at refuge
>islands. Extensive surveys, further investigations and discussions
>have subsequently taken place, resulting in a revised scheme for
>refuge islands on Hambledon Road, with a reduction from 8 to 3,
>accompanied by surface treatment to highlight the need for motorists
>to leave space for cyclists. The Cyclists' Touring Club has approved
>the new proposals...."

I wonder if "The Cyclists' Touring Club has approved the new
proposals...." can be substantiated or is it just spin based on '3 is
less worse than 8' and anyway at what competency level did the 'CTC'
'approval' come from. This sort of thing is quite common where council
officers claim black is white. (And I'm not talking shades of grey
here!.)

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded
[email protected]

[Not Responding] wrote:
> Someone here brought up the topic of a traffic calming proposal in
> Denmead, Hampshire that included the spectre of 8 central islands. I'm
> sorry but I forget exactly who.
>
> Anyway, I was moved to sign the online petition which resulted in an
> interview with the local paper. Never did see the article.
>
> The decision has been made and can be found here
>
> http://www.hants.gov.uk/decisions/decisions-docs/040914-exeenv-R0910152304.html
>
> It seems that the consultation process *did* have some effect:
>
> "...An objection was received in respect of cycle safety at refuge
> islands. Extensive surveys, further investigations and discussions
> have subsequently taken place, resulting in a revised scheme for
> refuge islands on Hambledon Road, with a reduction from 8 to 3,
> accompanied by surface treatment to highlight the need for motorists
> to leave space for cyclists. The Cyclists' Touring Club has approved
> the new proposals...."
>
> So whoever it was that raised the objection and ran the cyclists'
> input, well done!

It was me!

I would like to thank you for the supportive interview and signature,
and everyone else who signed the petition or helped in other ways
(Howard gave me some excellent advice, etc.)

A difference was made, but it was *very* difficult. (Many e-mails,
letters, reports, web pages, meetings / contact with Hampshire,
Winchester, Parish councils and councilors, CTC, Sustrans, DfT, the
local village association, English Regions Cycling Development Team,
local newspapers, Hampshire Cycling, Right to Ride, my MP, the police
and others that I can't recall of the top of my head.)

Hampshire County Council did, after a protracted period of campaign,
listen and act. I got interest from my county and district councilors,
but not from my parish council. In fact the parish council went as far
as publish an inaccurate, incomplete and personal opinion 'rebuttal' in
a local newsletter!

To answer Peter's point, yes it was approved by two CTC / RTR
representatives. - I think 8 to 3 is an improvement, and HCC have
adopted a new (for them) road marking scheme.

I intend to wait until they're built, gather experience and publish
links to photographs and notes here and on a web page.

Thanks again to everyone that helped.

Mark.