Disc Brake squeal – any help please

Scimike0

Oct 13, 2005
Hi all,

I have Giant MPH disc set-up on a Giant Terrago 06 (as factory supplied) and find that when damp / wet the brakes squeal, and I mean SQUEAL!!!!!

I have removed / checked / re-shimmed the callipers all to no avail.:confused:

I am new to this disc stuff and am disappointed that they do this, I had hoped that disc would be better than my old system (which also squealed).

Any suggestions or ideas on what it could be appreciated.

Scimike0 said:
Hi all,

I have Giant MPH disc set-up on a Giant Terrago 06 (as factory supplied) and find that when damp / wet the brakes squeal, and I mean SQUEAL!!!!!

I am new to this disc stuff and am disappointed that they do this, I had hoped that disc would be better than my old system (which also squealed).

Check the disc for slight warping.

Scimike0 said:
Hi all,

" better to stop noisily than have an accident in silence " L.J.K. Setright talking years ago about BMW´s use of a pad material on the new 900 that didn´t make a sound but didn´t stop over well either .

live with it .

el Inglés said:
" better to stop noisily than have an accident in silence " L.J.K. Setright talking years ago about BMW´s use of a pad material on the new 900 that didn´t make a sound but didn´t stop over well either .

Yep - I am starting to agree with you.
I changed the pad to EBC but they still squeal, the EBC's are better at stopping though so I will stick with them.
On the plus side the better half now knows when I am within .5 mile of home as she can hear the brakes.

Scimike0 said:
Yep - I am starting to agree with you.
I changed the pad to EBC but they still squeal, the EBC's are better at stopping though so I will stick with them.
On the plus side the better half now knows when I am within .5 mile of home as she can hear the brakes.

hey it beats the hell out of having to have a bell to get pedestrians to move out the way . :cool:

mine did this for a while but eventually they broke in. I am using the avid mechanical disc on my Trek mtb and i love them.

Are you suing the proper break in technique?

Sand those rotors with fine grade paper in a circular motion and re-break em in.

Break in with a a few really hard loner duration stops before stopping normally.

triguy98 said:
Are you suing the proper break in technique?

Sand those rotors with fine grade paper in a circular motion and re-break em in.

Break in with a a few really hard loner duration stops before stopping normally.
Thanks for all the advice.

Good idea with the prep on the rotors to assists bed in – no I did not do this but will next time.

I had heard of the initial braking regime to bed in, but it made no difference for me.

The cause appears to have been the OEM pad material. I changed the front to pad’s to EBC’s but initially they still squealed. I decided to live with these in the front and the originals in the rear brake.

With use the front EBC’s quickly bedded in and the problem stopped, but the rear with the originals just got worse. The rear rotor even started to show signs of over heating, so at this I purchased new EBC pads for the rear.

Now both brakes are awesome and all I can hear is a "rasp" from the drilled rotors – very satisfying.

One of the rear OEM pads has a hard lump in the pad material, I assume that was the cause of the over heating. Maybe just poor quality control on the OEM pads, I have no idea what make they are.