Do Shimano Nexus hubs slip like Sturmey Archer hubs?

If they're adjusted correctly (easy), then no, they don't slip.Only
wierd thing they do is make a bit of noise in some gears while breaking
in. My experience is with the 7 speed--I've got only good things to say
about it.

gumtree wrote:
> Will I be able to stand up on the pedals?

Yes, they're better at staying properly adjusted than Sturmey Archers and
are harder to accidentally put in between gears whilst shifting.

~PB, some experience of Nexus 7 and old SA 3-speed

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:21:22 -0800, gumtree wrote:

> Will I be able to stand up on the pedals?

I'll put in a contrary response. I have a Shimano Nexus 7 that I just
took off of my commuter. I did not feel confident standing on the pedals.

It would occasionally rotate the shifting cable holder backwards -- under
hard climbing, usually -- and this would mess up the shifting adjustment.
Once that happens you can skip gears -- this happened to me -- as well as
not being able to find the gear you want.

In addition, the loss of efficiency does not really give you the advantage
you want from the lower gears -- hence the need to stand on the pedals.

I now have a plain single-speed freewheel on that bike, and find the
reliability to be a real plus, along with the better efficiency and
lighter weight. Those internal-gear hubs are quite heavy.

If anyone out there wants to buy a slightly-used Shimano Nexus 7, along
with a roller brake that was hardly used, let me know.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
_`\(,_ | business.
(_)/ (_) |

Thanks David, much appreciated.

What gears do you run on your single speed?

My commute is mainly flat with one steepish hill, what's yours?

news:p[email protected]...

> If anyone out there wants to buy a slightly-used Shimano Nexus 7, along
> with a roller brake that was hardly used, let me know.

email to you bounces.

my reply-to header has a spam blocker (yours doesn't appear to have one...)

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:33:30 -0800, gumtree wrote:

> Thanks David, much appreciated.
>
> What gears do you run on your single speed?

Pretty low, basically since that is what I have around. It's a 48x20,
about a 63" gear.

> My commute is mainly flat with one steepish hill, what's yours?

I have a couple of not-too-steep hills, and one steep but short one. That
gear works well. Fixed is more fun, but I've done my time riding fixed
gears with toe-clips and straps.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front
_`\(,_ | of enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of
(_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The
internet has proven this not to be the case.

I am interested in the Nexus hub, brake, and shifter.

Please email me at rehorstmarkatnetscapedotnet

Thanks!

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:48:34 -0600, satan wrote:

> I am interested in the Nexus hub, brake, and shifter.
>
> Please email me at rehorstmarkatnetscapedotnet

Sorry, Satan, but it seems to be spoken for already.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong