Does anyone else have trouble maintaining a food ratio (eg. 50 30 20)?

juf2m

Aug 2, 2004
I recently went to a nutritionist, who advised me to have about 1600 cals a day, 77 grams of protein, no more than 50 of fat, and up to 300 of carbs. The ratio should be 50-55 carbs, >30 fat, and I think 20 protein.

Well I am finding this to be an almost impossible feat. If I increase my protein to hit 20% I always end up having way more than 77g. My fat and carbs usually end up at about 40% each (trying to adjust back after a low carb regimen is really hard!) and if I ever do miraculously get the % ratios right, I am always over on the grams and certainly over on the calories.

Does anyone else have this problem? Of course she gave me some sample meal plans (they involve all these complicated snacks), but I do live in the real world and find that after I eat all the correct snacks and lunch, I barely have 200 cals left for dinner.

HELP! How do I DO this? :confused:

Well, I may be wrong (my wife says that's happened before), but I bet you are trying to apply your new guidelines to your old diet -- ain't gonna happen unless you like starving. Don't modify -- reinvent.

Try a fresh perspective. Next time you go to the store, reevaluate all of the foods in each given category to see what is available that will fit your plan. For example, if you want cereal, start looking at the nutrition data of cereals you might like and try various ones that meet your criteria. Repeat this in all your foot categories. It will seem a little more labor intensive at first but you will quickly develop a diet and product selection that will satisfy both your plan and your appetite. Sure, you will end up buying some stuff you don't like, but there is no way around that.

For snacks, there are dozens of choices for snack bars, cereal bars, energy mixes, etc., all with vastly different nutritional schemes. The problem is that taste varies widely. Experiment with the ones that fit your goals and make it easy to snack through the day without redlining your counts.

You have some pretty stringent guidelines to follow, so it is time to think outside the box, which reminds, try to avoid prepared foods as much as possible.

One last thing, if you want a great butter substitute, try Olivio. You can substitute if virtually anywhere you would use butter, but it tastes so good, you may end up feeling guilty.

Good luck.

juf2m said:
Well I am finding this to be an almost impossible feat. If I increase my protein to hit 20% I always end up having way more than 77g. My fat and carbs usually end up at about 40% each (trying to adjust back after a low carb regimen is really hard!) and if I ever do miraculously get the % ratios right, I am always over on the grams and certainly over on the calories.

An easy way to jack up your protein grams is to get some whey protein powder. Content varies, but a scoop is typically 20-25 grams of protein.

Ah, but dpvan, my problem is I already have too many grams, I'm trying to reduce the grams, yet still have 20% overall. I guess it must be possible, or she wouldn't have given me this assignment, but it's hard! I guess I'll have to have more carbs, they're still kind of low...believe it or not I actually find it challenging to INCREASE the carbs! LOL!

Thanks for the ideas, gruppo! I think I actually eat very healthy foods on the whole, very rarely prepared foods, which is why this is so difficult, although I do love fattening Italian and Greek foods, cheese and rich salad dressings and things like that...

It is quite a challenging diet...but it is the weight loss version. I sure hope I lose this weight quickly so I can get on the more relaxed regular diet. When you don't have a huge amount to lose (10lbs in my case) it's extra frustrating.

I'm just sooooooooooooooo tired of counting calories, grams, weight, kilos, BPMs.....my whoele life is a set of numbers! :eek:

juf2m said:
I recently went to a nutritionist, who advised me to have about 1600 cals a day, 77 grams of protein, no more than 50 of fat, and up to 300 of carbs. The ratio should be 50-55 carbs, >30 fat, and I think 20 protein.

Does anyone else have this problem? Of course she gave me some sample meal plans (they involve all these complicated snacks), but I do live in the real world and find that after I eat all the correct snacks and lunch, I barely have 200 cals left for dinner.

HELP! How do I DO this? :confused:

one reason you may be having difficulty doing this is because, mathematically, the figures are incorrect! Those ratios don't add up properly.

For example, on 1600 kcal/day at the ratio of 50/30/20 you require

(1g of carb = 4 kcal, 1g of protein = 4 kcal, 1g of fat = 9 kcal)

1600 * 0.5 = 800 kcal = 200 g carb
1600 * 0.3 = 480 kcal = 53.3 g fat
1600 * 0.2 = 320 kcal = 80 g protein

thus, if you try to maintain 77- 80 g of protein and 300 g of carbs then the protein *ratio* will drop markedly. On the other hand if you consume 300 g of carb and try to maintain 20% protein then you'll consume more than 77 - 80 g protein (120 g of protein), this is because total energy intake has increased (and thus any % of a bigger factor will be more than a smaller dietary intake at the same ratio).

I don't know anything about your circumstance (and e.g., why your nutritionist has prescribed such ratios). However, your nutritionist needs to give clearer instructions so that you can understand what goal(s) you're supposed to complete (e.g., are you supposed to only maintain 1600 kcal/day but some days eat 200 g of carb and other days 300 g of carb -- as this would significantly impact the ratios presented).

ric

Aha, well no WONDER I'm having problems! Essentially, this is a weight loss diet, where I have 1600ish cals at (and this is her writing on my "prescription":

50-60% carb 206 grams (but can go up to 300gm)
20% protein 77.5 g (1.2 per kg)
<30 fat or 51g max

Then I can go to 2000+ when maintaining. I get to have ride snacks over and above this, while presumably maintaining the same overall ratio. She says she wants to see me eating more carbs than I have.

If you feel you're really eating a pretty healthy diet anyway, I'd suggest saving the money on going to a nutritionist, cutting your portions back just a little and spending more time riding. I don't pay any attention to carb/protein/fat ratios. I'm just eating more sensibly and biking more and I've been dropping about 2 pounds per week for a few months now. When I get down to my target weight I'll increase my portions a bit.

Very sensible advice....but unfortunately the money has already been spent! LOL! I did learn some interesting stuff so it wasn't all for naught, and I am getting a little better at the measuring...now if only the weight would come off! It's taking FOREVER!!!! That's the problem with shaving off 5 or 10lbs when you aren't really overweight to begin with....(by ordinary standards). It seems as collossal a problem as if I had to lose 50lbs. If I lose 1/2 a lb this week I'll be ecstatic!

May I ask, if you aren't overweight by normal standards, why you feel it's necessary to lose 10 pounds? Is this for an athletic event where you feel carrying 10 pounds less would enhance your performance? Have you had a body fat percentage test and aren't happy with the results? Is there a deadline that you're shooting for?

Yes, there is a deadline, it's November 6. I started this new regime at the beginning of September. It's not an athletic event, but rather an artistic one lol...I am bellydancing in an important show, and want to look as good as possible. Also, I am sure it would be easier for me to haul myself up hills and such if I were a bit lighter.

I was 10lbs lighter one year ago. Mind you I wasn't cycling and I have probably gained a little bit of muscle since then, but I'm sure not much. I am 33 years old and I honestly wonder if my metabolism is slowing. I used to be able to eat like crazy and lose any gains quickly, but now, it is so stubborn. This is compounded by the fact that I have a boyfriend who thinks I look better at this heavier weight (especially with a bigger butt!) :eek: He is a cycling maniac (posts in this forum actually) and as a result has as huge an appetite as I have always had, so we eat quite a lot when we see each other. This does not help my diet at all....but I now have cycling to burn it off and am working very hard at the diet.

Ten pounds should be possible within the 5+ weeks that you've got. I'd get out there and ride, ride, ride, and try your hardest to avoid pigging out with the bf for the next month. However, since you think some of the added weight might be increased muscle mass, then don't be too worried if you don't lose the full 10 pounds.

Well that's what I thought too (ie sufficient time available to accomplish this), but when I stepped on the scale today I noticed to my dismay that NOTHING has budged for 2 weeks now. I lost 2 lbs the first week, but since then, nothing. I now have 8 to go.... :(

I will keep at it....as much as time for cycling will allow, and no pigging out (except at Cdn Thanksgiving, but I will try to keep that to a dull roar) until Nov 6, but I am not too optimistic. I thought for sure the riding would speed up this process.

I may have to ask my nutritionist for a refund! LOL!

juf2m said:
Well that's what I thought too (ie sufficient time available to accomplish this), but when I stepped on the scale today I noticed to my dismay that NOTHING has budged for 2 weeks now. I lost 2 lbs the first week, but since then, nothing. I now have 8 to go.... :(

I will keep at it....as much as time for cycling will allow, and no pigging out (except at Cdn Thanksgiving, but I will try to keep that to a dull roar) until Nov 6, but I am not too optimistic. I thought for sure the riding would speed up this process.

I may have to ask my nutritionist for a refund! LOL!

what you want to improve your belly's appearance,... ???

you want a 6 pack like mine, can offer tips if you want some, on achieving one. :D

closesupport said:
what you want to improve your belly's appearance,... ???

you want a 6 pack like mine, can offer tips if you want some, on achieving one. :D
LOL! Thank you but no, a six pack would look horrible on a belly dancer. My tummy is actually my best feature, I need more of an overall, proportionate reduction to be more sinewey. Particularly my arms and hips!

juf2m said:
LOL! Thank you but no, a six pack would look horrible on a belly dancer. My tummy is actually my best feature, I need more of an overall, proportionate reduction to be more sinewey. Particularly my arms and hips!
have you ever tryed bar twists or vaccums, not necessarily to for a 6pack.

Bartwists, if you stand with your feet shoulderwidth apart,
bend your knees slightly, push your hips forward, "if you imagine yourself being lyed on the floor, and your trying to lift your hips and pelvis from off the floor this is what i mean by push your hips forward", now with a broomstick or something across your shoulders, with your arms out stretched, without twisting your hips, work your way around to pointing one arm forward, hold, then again with the other side, don't worry if you can't point straight forward the first time, it will get easier, but it is best to perform it properly, that means no twisting of your hips.

Vaccums, if you exhail all the air from your lungs, and tighten up your abdominals and hold it for a few seconds, then return it to normal, you'll find that a belly will become much flatter, accompanied with a correct diet i must add.

i usually do vaccums when i'm on the toilet, gives me something to do, plus it makes it a little easier at times. :D can't even poo without fitting in an exercise.

No don't loose hips, hips are goood, if what you mean bye arms is that flesh under your arms (tricepe) try kick backs, this is simple a matter of leaning forward with something like a tin of or bag of sugar as a weight, from holding the weight, (dangled) to pointing out behind you, once you reach the point area hold then return, but if you want to burn off excess fat, try to this more rapidly and more of and more often.

jogging will get rid of hips, http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html handy! link :)

OMG, I don't know where you get your energy from! :eek: Jogging....wow, I just took up cycling, I don't think I could ever get into jogging my knees are sore enough as it is.

I agree I need to do more weight training, no question about that. However, I am very annoyed at the lack of progress on the diet. It *should* be working and that's the frustrating part. I got so annoyed I had popcorn at the movie yesterday. I figure, if it's not going to work anyway, I might as well enjoy myself!

juf2m said:
OMG, I don't know where you get your energy from! :eek: Jogging....wow, I just took up cycling, I don't think I could ever get into jogging my knees are sore enough as it is.

I agree I need to do more weight training, no question about that. However, I am very annoyed at the lack of progress on the diet. It *should* be working and that's the frustrating part. I got so annoyed I had popcorn at the movie yesterday. I figure, if it's not going to work anyway, I might as well enjoy myself!
if you didn't have the energy to jog you culd always try falklet! this is where you run shorter distances, rest then run the distance again and again with many rests, as you become fitter, your body will beable to cope alot more and the distances become longer, plus recovery periods become quicker also, plus when you run at lower intensities, such as jogging, you burn fat, even when you have stopped running, the body again uses the fat to aid in the recovery.

when you say you cycle, do you cycle fast, or just slow over longer periods!

i find doing similar to falket but on the bike, eg. sprint long distances, then rest, either at a lower cycle speed, or a complete rest, i reduce weight by alot more than just cycling long distances at a medium speed.

how long have you been dieting, and what kind of diet are you trying to follow? one like the missus maybe where she puts one spoon of sugur in tea opposed to 2 and doesn't use marg or butter? but ends the night with a litre of fizzy pop..

neadless to say it isn't working, but when was the last time you heard a woman really listen to anything a man says...:D you shouldn't give up so easy, might as well enjoy yourself, you should still be enjoying yourself, pointless making yourself suffer.

hmmm! what is it what they seconds on the lips, a life time on your hips. or the fact that nothing tastes as good as slim feels... that some the things they say to dieters, ain't it..

closesupport said:
if you didn't have the energy to jog
Well maybe it's not so much lack of energy as lack of time (I only manage to get on the bike about 3 times a week, maybe 4 if lucky) and not wanting to bash my joints about. I like the low impact side of cycling. I think probably I wouldn't enjoy jogging and then I would be unmotivated. Plus I'd have to buy jogging shoes, and I just finished spending a fortune on all my cycling gear! :D

when you say you cycle, do you cycle fast, or just slow over longer periods!
Well on the weekends I do a longer ride, 3 or 3.5 hours, and during the week I only have time for an hour or two tops. Although we don't have many hills here we have a LOT of wind which feels the same to me, especially when I'm upright on my hybrid! Depending on how much energy I have sometimes I will go very quickly, but other times I'll just ride along at a fair (not slow, but not sprinting) pace.

i find doing similar to falket but on the bike, eg. sprint long distances, then rest, either at a lower cycle speed, or a complete rest, i reduce weight by alot more than just cycling long distances at a medium speed.
Sprint for long distances?? How do you define long? That sounds exhausting! But I will try to apply these principals of intervals. :)

how long have you been dieting, and what kind of diet are you trying to follow?
Well, I have been dieting one way or another my whole life it seems! But I have been on this new diet for a little over 3 weeks. It is very balanced with little meals throughout the day. It was the balancing of the prescribed carbs/fat/protein that I was having trouble with, thus the post.

one like the missus maybe where she puts one spoon of sugur in tea opposed to 2 and doesn't use marg or butter? but ends the night with a litre of fizzy pop..
LOL! No, I don't drink much pop, I've cut that down a lot, only because of the sodium because I have always had diet pop anyway. But I am finding sticking to 1500 cals to be almost impossible, so I keep eating at the maintenance level of about 2000. *sigh* I guess eating the little meals is keeping up my metabolism because I am ALWAYS starving!

you shouldn't give up so easy, might as well enjoy yourself, you should still be enjoying yourself, pointless making yourself suffer.
I agree! :D

I just get so depressed reading about all these people who lose dozens of pounds through cycling and I am getting nowhere!! My legs are definitely more toned though, and for the first time I have a cycling shorts tan! :cool:

juf2m said:
I just get so depressed reading about all these people who lose dozens of pounds through cycling and I am getting nowhere!! My legs are definitely more toned though, and for the first time I have a cycling shorts tan! :cool:
Cycle shorts tan... lol

i don't often wear cycle shorts hence the lack of a tan on my legs, although i do wear combat shorts when its raining, but as for tan lines they usuall start and stop around the tops of my arms and around my neck, which is pretty hideous; when i have no top on.

when you say how long are sprints, usually about 1000m. but i have other things that i like doing when i'm riding, such as spinning, one legged intervals, Jump starts, rolling starts ....etc, i find spinning to be rather taxing on energy. and usually its something that i find myself doing alot on rainy days on my way home from work. Since i know that i won't beable to ride later.

But over the last several days its been very windy here, so i have been concentrating on mashing out big gears, during one legged intervals; its good when your riding into headwinds. :D

when you say that the weight isn't dropping off anymore, has any dropped off since you had you BMR assest, or rather wherever you came across the information to workout how many Kcal you require.

try assessing your situation, with the activities individually that you partake in over a day, just to ensure that on some days you aren't exceeding your requirements or even not consuming enough, if you are under consuming, your body will unfortunately hold some of that back, hence the lack of weight loss.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html try this with the activities... taking into consideration it isn't recommended to undercut your total calorie intake by more than 500kcal.

Guess what? Today I stepped on the scale and I've lost 1.5lbs!!! :eek: My faith in the system has been RESTORED!!! :D 6.5lbs to go....That means I've lost 4.5lbs in 3.5 weeks. Not bad. Hopefully I won't pay for the popcorn and ice cream next week!

closesupport said:
when you say how long are sprints, usually about 1000m. but i have other things that i like doing when i'm riding, such as spinning, one legged intervals, Jump starts, rolling starts ....etc,
What is the difference between a jump start and a rolling start?

when you say that the weight isn't dropping off anymore, has any dropped off since you had you BMR assest, or rather wherever you came across the information to workout how many Kcal you require.
Well, as mentioned above, I have been on this regime since Sept 8. My BMR is 1400 cals. It's odd, rather than losing steadily each week, it holds for a couple of weeks and then drops some. I'm not complaining, as long as it keeps it up. Let's hope the trend doesn't reverse!