Dog Bicycle Trailer

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jerzy Gaciarz, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Does anybody have any experience of taking a 75 lbs dog on bike? I prefer to have dog on the bicycle
    rack, but she is probably to heavy. Other option is to build or buy a trailer. I have my son's old
    bmx bicycle I would like to use to build 'bob's like' trailer. Do you have any experience to build
    such a trailer? Please share your thoughts.

    Thank you,

    Jurek, Seattle

    Tags:

  2. Jerzy Gaciarz wrote:

    > Does anybody have any experience of taking a 75 lbs dog on bike? I prefer to have dog on the
    > bicycle rack, but she is probably to heavy. Other option is to build or buy a trailer. I have my
    > son's old bmx bicycle I would like to use to build 'bob's like' trailer. Do you have any
    > experience to build such a trailer? Please share your thoughts.

    Check out this hot Chicago Critical Mass babe pulling a pretty big dog on what appears to be
    homemade wooden trailer

    http://pages.prodigy.net/rjmatter/gallery/hotdog.jpg

    Looks nice and simple. The dog can get on and off easily and he appears to love to ride.

    I see a lot of people riding along the Lakefront Path pulling their dogs in Burley-type kids
    trailers too.

    -Bob Matter Hammond, Indiana
    ----------------
    "Critical Mass exists because thousands of people are exhilarated and inspired by its ability to
    redefine public space that was mapped out two generations ago with the oil industry at heart. It is
    the voice of the minority amid the deafening roar of engines and the seduction of Madison Avenue
    advertising." --Charles Higgins

  3. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I go tracking with my 80lb Doberman all the time.

    I doubt the bob trailer is stable enough for that kind of weight in motion and I think it's too
    small, but I haven't tried one.

    I have an old Burley trailer. Don't put the seat in; and you need to pad the floor so toenails
    won't rip it.

    I took a 3/4 length backpacker's pad (which fits pretty exactly in the trailer), put two wooden
    dowels in an X under it (for stiffness) and wrapped the whole thing in a blanket. Put that on the
    floor and you're good to go.

    If you dog won't _absolutely_ hold a stay (The Koehler Method of Dog Training is what I used), run a
    4' leather leash across the back through the loops intended for the seatbelts, and fasten it to
    itself. Have a very large snap leash attachment on that leash free to slide, and attach the snap to
    the dog's collar. The dog can lie down and move around but not jump out. You'll have to keep the
    screen back because a sitting dog is opposite of a sitting child in geometry. (Is the leash clear?
    The snap that comes with the leash is used to snap the leash to itself in a circle through the
    loops; a snap you add slides along the leash and is used to attach to the collar. Use a choke
    collar, which has a good bit of slack on the live ring.) If the dog will obey a stay absolutely, you
    don't need the leash.

    The trailer leaves you having to figure out wheel tracks for three wheels around pot holes, and
    sticks out a little more in traffic than you may like, and has considerable wind resistance if you
    have a headwind. The actual drag from the dog isn't that great.

    It's nice to have super-granny gears on steep hills unless your knees are really iron.

    The dog will get hot in the sun, incidentally; spritz some water on him occasionally to relieve the
    heat load.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  4. Mudflap

    Mudflap Guest

    Depends on how far and what shape the Dogs in, but I used the Bicycle Jogger from Drs. Foster &
    Smith. My 8 year old Dog loves it and will try to pull me the whole 10 miles of my favorite trail. I
    take him all over town also using it.

    "Jerzy Gaciarz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anybody have any experience of taking a 75 lbs dog on bike? I prefer to have dog on the
    > bicycle rack, but she is probably to heavy. Other option is to build or buy a trailer. I have my
    > son's old bmx
    bicycle
    > I would like to use to build 'bob's like' trailer. Do you have any experience to build such a
    > trailer? Please share your thoughts.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >

    > Jurek, Seattle

  5. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Mudflap wrote:
    > Depends on how far and what shape the Dogs in, but I used the Bicycle Jogger from Drs. Foster &
    > Smith. My 8 year old Dog loves it and will try to pull me the whole 10 miles of my favorite trail.
    > I take him all over town also using it.

    The two hazards are: 1. It can produce permanent joint injury from road running; 2. Heat stroke.
    Dogs don't cool in the sun very well. Normally they'd be lying under the porch.

    In both, the dog doesn't know when to stop so keeps going beyond where he should.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  6. Luigi de Guzman wrote:

    > > Check out this hot Chicago Critical Mass babe pulling a pretty big dog on what appears to be
    > > homemade wooden trailer
    > >
    > > http://pages.prodigy.net/rjmatter/gallery/hotdog.jpg
    >
    > if that's critical mass, what are they doing on the sidewalk?

    We "spin-up" (circle Daley Plaza a few times) before setting off on the street. See
    http://www.chicagocriticalmass.org for more photos.

    -Bob Matter
    -----------
    "Critical Mass exists because thousands of people are exhilarated and inspired by its ability to
    redefine public space that was mapped out two generations ago with the oil industry at heart. It is
    the voice of the minority amid the deafening roar of engines and the seduction of Madison Avenue
    advertising." --Charles Higgins

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 15:27:13 GMT, "Robert J. Matter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >We "spin-up" (circle Daley Plaza a few times) before setting off on the street.

    Do you take turns to say "He broke my watch!"

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.