DONE IT! Scored meself a Fixie!!!

Suzy Jackson wrote:

> If you like the drop bars, you'll probably want a pair of brake
> levers, to give you something to hold onto. I never use a rear brake
> (even on my road bike) so just put the front on, but found it was a
> PITA climbing with only one brake lever. The solution to that was to
> spend more dough and buy bullhorns.

Buy bullhorns?? What do bought bullhorns have that flipped and cut-off
dropbars don't (no I'm not taking the ****, I really want to know)?
That's what I did on my old road bike for the sake of my back. Buying
them never even ocurred to me (in fact at the time I don't think I even
knew you could buy them).

DaveB

"DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Buy bullhorns??

They're only $40 or so..

> What do bought bullhorns have that flipped and cut-off
> dropbars don't (no I'm not taking the ****, I really want to know)?

The pointy-outy bits are longer. I know because I had a set of
drops that I was going to cut up until I bought some stokers
and bullhorns off ebay. I went with the bullhorns.

Depending on how you ride it might not be an advantage
to have the longer bars, but for me it means I can move
my hands around the little bit more.

hippy

Suzy Jackson said:
No - more rake will make it twitchier. Less rake will make it more stable.

Regards,

Suzy

Oh. Well there's one misconception (on my part) cleared up!

Gemma Kernich wrote -

> Cheers
> Gemm riding a very unfashionable Raceline track machine.....

Gemm -

Howdya like the Raceline - have heard its not a bad machine for a novice on
the track - your views from experience ?

best, Andrew

(remove the .x1 to reply)

"Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Gemm -
>
> Howdya like the Raceline - have heard its not a bad machine for a novice

on
> the track - your views from experience ?

Hi Andrew,
Actually, it wasn't my first track bike (rode a steel one for a season). I
didn't like the build-kit on the Raceline as standard, so haggled with the
shop and ended up just getting frame and fork, and built up the rest with a
miche groupset, wolber singles rims, deda pista bars, zepp stem, etc. The
frame is actually really nice, nice and stiff compared to the noodly steel
one I was on before (I'm a big lass, see previous thread on big arsed
aus.bicycle awards). Email me for more details
[email protected] can send pics etc.
Apparently this year's Raceline model will be readily available just as a
frame and fork set, in a silver colour (for those sick of white!)
Cheers
Gemma

Gemma Kernich said:
"Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Gemm -
>
> Howdya like the Raceline - have heard its not a bad machine for a novice

on
> the track - your views from experience ?

Hi Andrew,
Actually, it wasn't my first track bike (rode a steel one for a season). I
didn't like the build-kit on the Raceline as standard, so haggled with the
shop and ended up just getting frame and fork, and built up the rest with a
miche groupset, wolber singles rims, deda pista bars, zepp stem, etc. The
frame is actually really nice, nice and stiff compared to the noodly steel
one I was on before (I'm a big lass, see previous thread on big arsed
aus.bicycle awards). Email me for more details
[email protected] can send pics etc.
Apparently this year's Raceline model will be readily available just as a
frame and fork set, in a silver colour (for those sick of white!)
Cheers
Gemma
Got me some of those Profile Bullhorn bars for the bike!
Not sure whether i go the bar-end lever like hippy (and most couriers seem to) or just an old shimano aero-style lever
Anyone got pro's/cons on these?
Im guessin the aero's are gonna be cheap to pick up
(and there's a hard rubbish collection building up in my area. amazes mr what people throw out)

flyingdutch wrote:
> flyingdutch Wrote:
>
>>>The distance between the wheel and seat tube depends on the length of
>>>yourchain!! You need some gap to allow you to push the wheel towards
>>>the seattube, so you can get the chain off the front chainring, then

>>off the >rear cog, so you can remove the wheel without having to break
>>the >chain...
>>
>>Aah, that makes sense...
>>

>>>Just get a fork 2nd hand to use a front brake on, don't worry about a

>>back
>>
>>>brake. You'll want to keep the un-drilled fork for the track, when

>>you give
>>
>>>it a go... *grin*

>>hmmm. one day, maybe...
>>as for the fork, got my original pre-carbon steel one. The rake on the
>>fixed' looks shorter than my old drilled fork. Would this be expected,
>>so as to give the track bike more 'twitch' at the front end? And will
>>my old fork make it more friendly to ride?

> pics ahoy!
>
> http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fixed/0.jpg
> http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fixed/1.jpg
> http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fixed/2.jpg
> http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fixed/3.jpg
> http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fixed/4.jpg
> http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fixed/5.jpg
> http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/fixed/6.jpg

Good looking bike. And doesn't a garage door make a fantastic
backdrop for photos of fixies? See
http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~dfarrow
and click on the obvious for my garage door (with bike in the way).

Have you submitted it to www.fixedtgeargallery.com yet? Mine is #1020.

Duncan.

PS To e-mail, remove finger.

Duncan Farrow said:
Good looking bike. And doesn't a garage door make a fantastic
backdrop for photos of fixies? See
http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~dfarrow
and click on the obvious for my garage door (with bike in the way).

Have you submitted it to www.fixedtgeargallery.com yet? Mine is #1020.

Duncan.

PS To e-mail, remove finger.

Im waiting to get it roadworthy before submitting it.
Getting the fork drilled for the brake on Saturday.
did yours come with that brake lever or did you get it yourself?

chose the grarage door cos i thawt the horiz lines gave a decent reference for angles,etc (and it was there! :) )

cant wait to ge thtis out on the road. might take it for a spin round the flatter parts of my neighbourhood on the weekend...

flyingdutch wrote:

> Duncan Farrow Wrote:
>
>>Good looking bike. And doesn't a garage door make a fantastic
>>backdrop for photos of fixies? See
>>http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~dfarrow
>>and click on the obvious for my garage door (with bike in the way).
>>
>>Have you submitted it to www.fixedtgeargallery.com yet? Mine is #1020.
>>
>>Duncan.
>>
>>PS To e-mail, remove finger.

> Im waiting to get it roadworthy before submitting it.
> Getting the fork drilled for the brake on Saturday.
> did yours come with that brake lever or did you get it yourself?
>
> chose the grarage door cos i thawt the horiz lines gave a decent
> reference for angles,etc (and it was there! :) )
>
> cant wait to ge thtis out on the road. might take it for a spin round
> the flatter parts of my neighbourhood on the weekend...

Mine came with a front brake but not that lever and not that caliper.
The original lever was very old fashioned with the cable coming out the
top (very ugly). Also, the caliper was some not very good quality
centre-pull. I thought that if the bike is to have one brake, it should
be a good one! The lever is one of a pair of Dia-Compe bar end levers.
The caliper is of an Orbea, I got it brand new from a shop for $20.
Apparently, Orbeas get delivered with two brake sets or something so
there's lots of spares.

I've only done about 100km on mine so far and it's great. On Sunday I
caught up with someone riding a white carbon Bianchi which I think go
for around $11,000 - my bike was $500. Almost as satisfying as passing
gridlocked cars.

Cheers,
Duncan.

PS To e-mail, remove finger.

OT a tad, but did any black cats cross your path today, hippy?
Is hatchback behaving himself? :p

Hippy wrote:

> Kinda OT, but here's some trick track hubs
> on ebay for any fixers looking for something
> different.. 40 spoke rear! :)

You're a babe Hippy. These are exactly what I've been looking for for the last six months or so for the Malvern Star... (fingers crossed I'm not outbid).

Regards,

Suzy

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]

> OT a tad, but did any black cats cross your path today, hippy?
> Is hatchback behaving himself? :p

Yeah, he's now a 'returning outside cat' and is actually
at the door when I get home! The first day I let him out
he went exploring and didn't come back until 9pm or
so. He loves clawing stuff and was having a ball
attacking some newspapers last night. He's sleeping on
my bed during the night now too and purrs his head off! :)
There's some pics of him on my blog but these were on
his first night - I've got to get some when he's looking
happier :)
I'm trying to get a little video done of him too but my
software isn't happy with that idea..

OT (ON topic ;-)):

Dutch, I like the look of this brake setup. This
machine was cool enough to score #1000 on FGG:
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2004/d/beanlarson.htm

hippy

"suzyj" <[email protected]

> Hippy wrote:
> > Kinda OT, but here's some trick track hubs
> > on ebay for any fixers looking for something
> > different.. 40 spoke rear! :)

> You're a babe Hippy. These are exactly what I've been looking for for
> the last six months or so for the Malvern Star... (fingers crossed
> I'm not outbid).

Aw shucks.. I'm glad I could help.. :)
Do you use a bid sniper or autobid?
They are useful for winning stuff..
There's another set of Airlight's soon but
they aren't the cool high-flange ones.

hippy

Hippy wrote:

> Aw shucks.. I'm glad I could help.. :)
> Do you use a bid sniper or autobid?
> They are useful for winning stuff..
> There's another set of Airlight's soon but
> they aren't the cool high-flange ones.

Naah, I just put in the amount I'd be willing to spend, and then refuse to look at it again until it's all over. Ebay can be a bugger otherwise, and you end up spending more than you should, just because you get in a bidding war.

Tho having said that, YAY!!!! I got em!

Ta muchly,

Suzy

hippy said:
Aw shucks.. I'm glad I could help.. :)
Do you use a bid sniper or autobid?
They are useful for winning stuff..
There's another set of Airlight's soon but
they aren't the cool high-flange ones.

hippy

I am yet win anything on eBay. must suss out eSnipe

As for the brake setup, i like them ol' style aeros
(just not the toopid aero bars)
and why the heck would you reverse the brake levers?

How easy hard is it to change over cogs?
Scored meself an 18T (and a 42T ring too). Is it just a case of tapping off the lockring and then unscrewing the cog?

Is the lockring a hammer and wood/screwdriver jobbie?
and what of unscrewing the cog? can i use 'shed variety' tools?

gettin dirty tonight :)

"suzyj" <[email protected]

> Hippy wrote:
> > Aw shucks.. I'm glad I could help.. :)
> > Do you use a bid sniper or autobid?

> Naah, I just put in the amount I'd be willing to spend, and then refuse
> to look at it again until it's all over. Ebay can be a bugger
> otherwise, and you end up spending more than you should, just because
> you get in a bidding war.

You do the same thing in the snipers. Put in your highest
and it will automatically bid in increments up to that value
in order to keep you in front. You don't even have to be
there. Each to their own. :)

> Tho having said that, YAY!!!! I got em!

Wicked.. show us some pics when you've built them up.

hippy

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]
> As for the brake setup, i like them ol' style aeros
> (just not the toopid aero bars)
> and why the heck would you reverse the brake levers?

It looks cool. :) Obviously, that's only my opinion. :)

> How easy hard is it to change over cogs?

It's very easy on mine with the Miche setup.
Undo lockring, lift off cog.
Otherwise it's undo lockring, use chainwhip
to unscrew cog.

> Scored meself an 18T (and a 42T ring too). Is it just a case of tapping
> off the lockring and then unscrewing the cog?

Should be.
What do you guys use to screw down your lockrings?
42/18 is going kill you going downhill! :)

> Is the lockring a hammer and wood/screwdriver jobbie?

I would suggest not. I've got a tool that I used but
it's not the correct one for my lockring so I want
other options.. I think the old BB lockring tools
work for a lot of track lockrings.

> and what of unscrewing the cog? can i use 'shed variety' tools?

Use a chainwhip. You have one.. right?
It's a bar with two bits of chain on it that you
wrap around the cog and twist (in the correct
direction of course).

hippy

>>42/18 is going kill you going downhill! :)

what would you suggest?. that gives me a choice of 63, 67 or 76, depending on whether i use the 42x18, 42x17 or 42x15, respectively.

You mentioned (as did the 63xx site), that high 60's to low 70's was a good place to start. obviously with the original 48T in waiting i can go up if i feel up to it in future or go to flatter places

>>Use a chainwhip. You have one.. right?

No. more excuses, er, reasons to go to LBS, i guess.

actually, maybe i could ask Jesse at Bike Barn to do it while he drills my forks. Would still be a handy thing to have tho for future. Do you need to get shimano/track/campag specific ones or are they one-size-fits-all?

> what would you suggest?. that gives me a choice of 63, 67 or 76,
> depending on whether i use the 42x18, 42x17 or 42x15, respectively.

I've got a brand new EAI (high zoot factor) 3/32" 16 tooth cog, if you're interested (I went 1/8th when I got my shiny new Record cranks, and never did use the 16 I'd bought). That'll give you a 71", which is right on the money for general tooling around...

Say $20?

Regards,

Suzy