don't know if you guys have heard about the cycle path crash in Perth

Lisa

Guest
don't know if you guys have heard about the cycle path crash in Perth
that has left Three cyclist DOA and one quadrapalegic. Today the
police were calling for witnesses to the accident on the ABC radio.
The accident happened when two training squads apparently ran into each

other on the cyclepaths around the Swan River.

Ride carefully out there!

In aus.bicycle on 21 Sep 2006 17:30:13 -0700
Lisa <[email protected]> wrote:
> don't know if you guys have heard about the cycle path crash in Perth
> that has left Three cyclist DOA and one quadrapalegic. Today the
> police were calling for witnesses to the accident on the ABC radio.
> The accident happened when two training squads apparently ran into each
>
> other on the cyclepaths around the Swan River.

Head down, bum up, and not expecting trouble?

Sounds nasty. I can see that could lead to a horrible mess.

What would the etiquette be? You are going at a fair old clip on a
cyclepath, which no doubt curves as they do, and you have a few
seconds to realise there's another lot coming at a high closing speed.

What do you do?

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on 21 Sep 2006 17:30:13 -0700
> Lisa <[email protected]> wrote:
>> don't know if you guys have heard about the cycle path crash in Perth
>> that has left Three cyclist DOA and one quadrapalegic. Today the
>> police were calling for witnesses to the accident on the ABC radio.
>> The accident happened when two training squads apparently ran into each
>>
>> other on the cyclepaths around the Swan River.

> Head down, bum up, and not expecting trouble?
>
> Sounds nasty. I can see that could lead to a horrible mess.
>
> What would the etiquette be? You are going at a fair old clip on a
> cyclepath, which no doubt curves as they do, and you have a few
> seconds to realise there's another lot coming at a high closing speed.
>
> What do you do?
>

> Zebee

Head into the scenery.

Ben

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 22 Sep 2006 01:15:03 GMT
Ben Thomas <[email protected]> wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>>
>> Sounds nasty. I can see that could lead to a horrible mess.
>>
>> What would the etiquette be? You are going at a fair old clip on a
>> cyclepath, which no doubt curves as they do, and you have a few
>> seconds to realise there's another lot coming at a high closing speed.

> Head into the scenery.

I assume everyone goes left :)

Plus yell loudly something slightly more informative than "oh ****" so
that the bods at the back realise they too need to head leftwards.

And as long as you *can* head into the scenery. (Not that I think any
training bunch would be using the narrow bumpy bit of the Cooks River
path near Canterbury Racetrack where you get a choice of getting wet
or exhibiting your vertical climbing skills.)

Zebee

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:23:10 +1000
cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
>>
>> What do you do?

> Zebee, sorry, this is a troll post. Please install your additional BS
> filter. ;)

Yeah, but being a troll doesn't stop it being an interesting question!

THe troll hopes to get a slew of "racing on cycle paths is bad" posts,
I want to see "what happens in situations where there's a nasty
obstacle and everyone has to react in a sane way".

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> What would the etiquette be? You are going at a fair old clip on a
> cyclepath, which no doubt curves as they do, and you have a few
> seconds to realise there's another lot coming at a high closing speed.

The etiquette is not to ride at speed on a cycle path. If it is true[1],
then they got what they deserved.

[1] In war, there are always more injured than killed. Seems the same
applies to true life accident reports involving many people.

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on 21 Sep 2006 17:30:13 -0700
> Lisa <[email protected]> wrote:
>> don't know if you guys have heard about the cycle path crash in Perth
>> that has left Three cyclist DOA and one quadrapalegic. Today the
>> police were calling for witnesses to the accident on the ABC radio.
>> The accident happened when two training squads apparently ran into each
>>
>> other on the cyclepaths around the Swan River.

> Head down, bum up, and not expecting trouble?
>
> Sounds nasty. I can see that could lead to a horrible mess.
>
> What would the etiquette be? You are going at a fair old clip on a
> cyclepath, which no doubt curves as they do, and you have a few
> seconds to realise there's another lot coming at a high closing speed.
>
> What do you do?

Ohhhhh hard one.

I know I know I know......

Brake?

Am I right?

Its a troll Zebee :)

Dave

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:23:10 +1000
> cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
>>> What do you do?

>> Zebee, sorry, this is a troll post. Please install your additional BS
>> filter. ;)

> Yeah, but being a troll doesn't stop it being an interesting question!
>
> THe troll hopes to get a slew of "racing on cycle paths is bad" posts,
> I want to see "what happens in situations where there's a nasty
> obstacle and everyone has to react in a sane way".
>
> Zebee

OK then. Seriously. theres one semi blind corner on Gardiner's Creek
near me. One day I stopped to read a new sign just near that corner
and had just pushed off when 2 kids racing each other came around the
bend using the whole path. I swore.. got a squeaked "Sorry" A few
days later while jogging on the same bit of path got overtaken by two
women on bikes on the same bend. I did wonder what would happen if
they met.

We are not talking great judgment here but on that bend ( Under Toorak
rd) there is no dodging.

So it would be. Brake.... Bang. I think

Dave

dave wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> > In aus.bicycle on Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:23:10 +1000
> > cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Zebee, sorry, this is a troll post. Please install your additional BS
> >> filter. ;)

> > Yeah, but being a troll doesn't stop it being an interesting question!
> >
> > THe troll hopes to get a slew of "racing on cycle paths is bad" posts,
> > I want to see "what happens in situations where there's a nasty
> > obstacle and everyone has to react in a sane way".
> >
> > Zebee
> >

> OK then. Seriously. theres one semi blind corner on Gardiner's Creek
> near me. One day I stopped to read

you can read.

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:06:27 +1000
dave <[email protected]> wrote:
> OK then. Seriously. theres one semi blind corner on Gardiner's Creek
> near me. One day I stopped to read a new sign just near that corner
> and had just pushed off when 2 kids racing each other came around the
> bend using the whole path. I swore.. got a squeaked "Sorry" A few
> days later while jogging on the same bit of path got overtaken by two
> women on bikes on the same bend. I did wonder what would happen if
> they met.
>
> We are not talking great judgment here but on that bend ( Under Toorak
> rd) there is no dodging.

A problem on any path/road with no lane markings - people tend to take
the whole "lane".

Saw it all the time (and did it myself the first week or so) when I
rode my motorcycle to work in Lismore. The roads from the farm I
lived on to the Uni I worked at were mostly unmarked. Plenty of
people would be in the middle of said roads till they saw something
coming the other way.

Parts of the Cooks River path with wideish path and poor visibility
have lane markings, but most don't.

There's not much can be done with people who aren't expecting someone
else, it's one of the main reasons for crashes after all "didn't see
him!"

I keep left and watch for trouble around corners, but I'm a motorcycle
rider so am used to being be at a closing speed of "a lot" with large
trucklike objects which is a good incentive to do so.

One of the big problems with cycle paths is that they aren't 'roads'.
People treat them as places where they don't have to look, and that
have no traffic. Cognitive disconnect - they see others using it, but
that's not "traffic". Meaning not cars...

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:<snip>

Off topic. Stealth Kat has developed an unwillingness to lanesplit in a
straight line. Which is worrying. So I set off for new tire from Bob
Jane in the city. To discover that motoGP had run them out of 16inch
Michelins and Avons. (and in fact anything that resembled rubber)

Bugger.

Dave

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> Saw it all the time (and did it myself the first week or so) when I
> rode my motorcycle to work in Lismore. The roads from the farm I
> lived on to the Uni I worked at were mostly unmarked. Plenty of
> people would be in the middle of said roads till they saw something
> coming the other way.

Yep, easy to tell how busy the road is too, by the number and length of
bare ground strips just beside the tar surface as most people shift left
to pass.

On 22 Sep 2006 02:19:50 GMT, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:

>A problem on any path/road with no lane markings - people tend to take
>the whole "lane".

Canberra paths at night, people tend to follow the white line. With
Autumn leaves that's about the only thing that can be made out!

Andre