Don't you love cricket

peterlip

Apr 10, 2005
I don't mind cricket, but NOT WHEN LE TOUR IS SUPPOSED TO BE ON!!!!

And I quote:
11:10 pm SPORT - 2005 TOUR DE FRANCE STAGE 18
Stage 18 of the 2005 Tour de France, live to all states.

01:00 am SPORT - CRICKET - 2005 ASHES TEST SERIES DAY ONE SESSION 3
Day 1, session 3, 1st test of the Ashes Test Series, live to all states.

So, why at 12:00, am I watching cricket????

peterlip said:

And I quote:

Aww come on, here in Australia, cricket on TV is such a rare treat compared with that bloody pushbike riding they are always showing on SBS.

peterlip said:

I am disappointed to hear that (I didn't caught le Tour last night). I thought that SBS might have been above that kind of behaviour.

I got up to watch Le Tour as well . Switched on the telly to find the cricket on.
However to be fair ,SBS were very discrete about it and they did not interrupt the last 20-30 critical minutes of the stage.

Be grateful us Cycling fans have got SBS. I do not think any of the other channels would ever be interested .

Go Lance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peterlip said:

And I quote:

I started swearing at the television as they started switching over to the cricket!!

There is only 4 days left, surely if they waited until the end of the stage and had the cricket slightly delayed the everyone would be happy?

Come on, it's not even a real sport (hehe, that should get some replies). How can you compare a group of the fittest, most motivated athletes on the planet competing aginst each other over 3 weeks, over 3500kms of some of the steepest terrain on the planet, with a bunch of bloated, bogan guys wearing slacks and woollen vests, who spend most of the day standing around in the sun, worrying more about their blonde tipped mullets, playing a game that can last a week and still end in a draw (jesus, the short version of the game still takes all day!)???

That's my rant finished. :D

artemidorus said:
No, it's about as exciting as golf or lawn bowls.

I agree; however, to each their own. Point is, SBS sell the TDF as the biggest annual sporting event on the globe, which it is... the coverage should reflect that.
Last night I did a quick search on some cricket forums to see if any diehards were complaining about TDF coverage intruding on the Ashes. Not a one. Maybe this means we bikers complain too much.. i dunno.
Don't worry - the ole "if you don't like it, then turn off" and "why whinge when you could be writing to SBS" brigade should be along shortly. If you build it, they will come.

I love both

I thought SBS did a great job last night.

You've gotta admit it was a pretty boring stage until the last few kms, which they showed.

There's nothing more boring than the stages with a breakaway by a bunch of nobodies, and the peleton not bothering to chase.

531Aussie said:
I love both

There's nothing more boring than the stages with a breakaway by a bunch of nobodies, and the peleton not bothering to chase.

Yes there is. Cricket.

runna said:
I started swearing at the television as they started switching over to the cricket!!

There is only 4 days left, surely if they waited until the end of the stage and had the cricket slightly delayed the everyone would be happy?

Come on, it's not even a real sport (hehe, that should get some replies). How can you compare a group of the fittest, most motivated athletes on the planet competing aginst each other over 3 weeks, over 3500kms of some of the steepest terrain on the planet, with a bunch of bloated, bogan guys wearing slacks and woollen vests, who spend most of the day standing around in the sun, worrying more about their blonde tipped mullets, playing a game that can last a week and still end in a draw (jesus, the short version of the game still takes all day!)???

That's my rant finished. :D

Well said!!! I think little Johnny would rather watch the cricket (oh how I dislike that man!)

This is ********, why the hell is the cricket still on! i i am bloody sick of it!
i have sent a formal complaint to SBS regarding all the interuptions to the live coverage of TDF. What i dont understand is why they interupt the TDF with cricket, dont get me wrong i am a cricket fan but i do believe that cricketers are no way as nearly devoted to watching the ashes as cyclists are to the TDF. come on guys this is lance armstrongs final tour, SBS should at least show the last stage+presentations without any interuptions.
This a insult not only to LA but to the many devoted australian cyclists who have stayed up to watch the tdf.
If the SBS office was open right now, i would call'em and abuse the **** out of them.:mad:

Borg said:
Well said!!! I think little Johnny would rather watch the cricket (oh how I dislike that man!)
Well said.
Heard on the radio the other day, Little Johnny was asked if he'd be attending a memorial in Germany for the tragic accident last week. He said he couldn't make it because of time constraints, logistics, etc, etc, blah, blah....
Next question: Aren't you going to the cricket this afternoon?
He had nothing to say...

I was watching the cycling on LCN3, then the bloody cricket came on,
checked LCN33 news channel, a rotating globe no live news,
Checked LCN31, no EPG just a program on beach shacks,
checed back on LCN3, still the bloody cricket!!!

Why can't SBS use one of their spare channels for the cricket when the TDF is on the main channel??? Why do I bother with digital TV??

The Dubliner said:
Thank god for the rain in England! 10km to go on the last stage and the f%$cking cricket is on

The worst thing is that they interrupt the last stage just to say "It's raining and the cricket is on at the moment". So the cricket is interupting Le Tour even when they aren't playing!!!! WTF?

The impression I got last night was that the TdF was something of annoyance to SBS, and that they would have been much happier to show just the cricket. Perhaps SBS should reminded that TdF is only second to Olympics and the World Cup in the world of the sport. It wasn’t like it was the last day, of the test, with series tie at two all.

SBS have made a mockery of its say called commitment to cycling. Every stage of the TdF live on live SBS has been hammer into its viewers all year long. That statement should have been a foot noted with, unless some other sporting event is on, then we’ll show that. I really is false advertising. They have betrayed the trust of the their viewers (consumers), which is not good thing to do in any business. :(

neon said:
SBS have made a mockery of its say called commitment to cycling. Every stage of the TdF live on live SBS has been hammer into its viewers all year long. That statement should have been a foot noted with, unless some other sporting event is on, then we’ll show that. I really is false advertising. They have betrayed the trust of the their viewers (consumers), which is not good thing to do in any business. :(
My Post to SBS Cycling Central Forums is down below Choatus's bleet

"choatus" said:
The Ashes takes over and so it should!!!!

yeah, but in its place, not as SBS have done with the first test...they had a prior commitment to the Tour de France, a much bigger world wide event than the Ashes can ever hope to subscribe to be....and during the over-lap of the end of the Tour and the First Ashes test of just three days it made sense to tape the Ashes and have highlights or delayed telecasts straight after the Tour coverage.... BUT no, we got disjointed fractured coverage of both with a strong emphasis on boring studio commentary and ads for hair replacement by cricket hasbeens....
The Tour this year had huge significance for Australia, a record number of Ozzie riders, three stage victories already, two riders vying in the final stage for the Green jersey, and oh yeah some guy called Armstrong just happened to be about to claim an unheard of super human effort beyond the imagination of any of the criketers at Lords of 7 consecutive Tour wins.....7, in the hardest most grueling challenging human endeavour known, in the world's largest annual sporting event.....
Cricket??? what is that...some kind of insect...in comparison to the Tour, it most certainly is..... and I grew up playing cricket since I was two....I have watched every Ashes series televised and gone along to the SCG and MCG whenever I could... but on this occasion, in doesnt rank even close to what the Tour is, what the Tour means, and the Spectacle it delivers to us.
Vivé leTour...... in 2006 SBS, please get it right...we make a committment to you to watch the show you promise to deliver, you broke your committment to show it to us as promised again and again.
Your program schedulers/controllers need sacking or at least have nothing to do ever again with the Tour and its airtime planning and delivery to us..., hopefully next year you'll get it right....
meantime well done, Stuart, Matty, Alan, Simon, Brad, Baden, Robbie, Cadel, Luke, Michael...... huge effort from all of you to finish the tour, as great ambassadors for Australia, you rode 3800+ kilometers HUGE....oh and Lance and his team, Jan, Ivan, Vino, Rassmussen , Tricky, Big George, Floyd, and all the others who braved this magical and arduous event....you guys are amazing and deserve greater respect from SBS for what they did to you on stages 19, 20 & 21.....
Cycling is more than an event, more than just sport, it is a lifestyle choice that can enhance and enrich mans presence on earth, it is wholesome, ecologically sound and delivers to more of mankind in so many ways that those followers of cricket could never understand...and from an Australian perspective it delivers huge benfits to our communities daily, much more than cricket can ever seek to do.... I personally love the swack of red leather on the willow, but I put it in perspective...it isnt in the class of cycling, never will be and that is all that can be said.....
* A moment of silence for those riders who arn't with us RIP*