Down tube shifter problem

dinothedinosaur

Dec 28, 2004
I recently replaced the downtube shifters from a c.1988 ultegra 7 speed set-up (I think this was the early index system) (SIS?). The lever for the front derailleur doesn't stop pivoting when I shift down to the small chainring. In other words, as I move the lever forward to shift down, the chain will change chainrings as desired, but the lever can continue to move forward and mucho slack occurs on the derailleur cable. I don't know if I left out a part or if I put something on incorrectly. I have braze-on fittings for the lever and the chromed-plastic spacer betweent the lever and the fitting/downtube. Has anyone seen this problem before or do you know what I may have done wrong?

Dino

dinothedinosaur said:
I recently replaced the downtube shifters from a c.1988 ultegra 7 speed set-up (I think this was the early index system) (SIS?). The lever for the front derailleur doesn't stop pivoting when I shift down to the small chainring. In other words, as I move the lever forward to shift down, the chain will change chainrings as desired, but the lever can continue to move forward and mucho slack occurs on the derailleur cable. I don't know if I left out a part or if I put something on incorrectly. I have braze-on fittings for the lever and the chromed-plastic spacer betweent the lever and the fitting/downtube. Has anyone seen this problem before or do you know what I may have done wrong?

Dino
Assuming Shimano index, the shifter is indexed(no pun) to the chrome ring that fits between the shifter and downtube boss. Try rotating the ring to a different position.Other brands used a different type stop.