Drive train lubrication

BILLYHOLMES

Oct 27, 2005
I ride on the road and have tried using various products on my drive train including “White Lightening”. This seems okay but the chain gets all gummed up with crud taking the shine off of my lovely Dura Ace set up. What other "dry" lubricants are there that would do the job without leaving me with a messy chain?
Bill.

sogood said:
Do you wipe down your chain after every two or three rides?
Yes I do, I also rince my bike after every ride with the hose pipe just to get the sweat off it but the "White Lightening" seems to just gum things up.
Bill.

I hear that Prolink is magical in this department. Personally I've been using a spray-on lube that's working pretty well but will try Prolink when I run out.

BILLYHOLMES said:
I ride on the road and have tried using various products on my drive train including “White Lightening”. This seems okay but the chain gets all gummed up with crud taking the shine off of my lovely Dura Ace set up. What other "dry" lubricants are there that would do the job without leaving me with a messy chain?
Bill.

I personally use Prolink and haven't had any issues with it. Now, I have had a couple of instances where the chain started to make a little noise - but that was in continued wet conditions this winter. I clean the chain and relube and everything is fine. Prolink keeps things looking ok most of the time. I use the liquid vs the spray -- easier for me to apply.

BILLYHOLMES said:
Bill.
Silicone... if that dont work, give your chain a parafin bath.

Another Pro Link recommendation, here. I apply it once a week or so, and not only does that keep me chain looking all shiny and spiffy for 2-300 miles each week, it keeps the chain healthy and extends it's life.

However, you should keep in mind that certain products that keep a chain well lubed do get dirty looking than others. In a lot o' cases, the dirty look is just that: a look and nothing else.

If weight is not an issue a stainless steel chain reduces the amount of lubrication that you need since is does not rust as readily. Obviously a bike with a fully enclosed chain would solve you problems.

Purple Exteme
No gunking, easy to clean, won't wash off in the rain, etc., etc.
This is the stuff.

http://www.purpleextreme.com/

BILLYHOLMES said:
Bill.

sogood said:
I hear that Prolink is magical in this department. Personally I've been using a spray-on lube that's working pretty well but will try Prolink when I run out.
I use to use White Lightning but switched to Prolink Gold and love it. I also relube and wipe every other ride unless I exceed 60 miles and then lube after each of the long ones.

http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/prolink.html

I've been using RocknRoll Gold the last 6 months and have found it to be quite good, yielding 300-350km between lubes.

I'm currently using Finish Line teflon-based dry lube. Both tend to wash out quickly in wet weather.

FL seems to provide great shifting performance as well, but it does leave a blacker residue than RnR. I heven't run more than about 50km on it yet without it raining, so I can't comment on how long it lasts.