eggbeater pedals

annieh

Sep 2, 2003
I'm taking the plunge to abandon toe-clips,but the choice of clipless pedals is overwhelming.I do general touring and city riding,and am concerned about 1.getting feet in and out easily,especially in traffic.
2.having a bit of movement,or float.3.bit of a platform maybe.(Not quite sure why except that it looks more user-friendly!)
I like the sound of the new Crank Bros Candy SL eggbeater type, but its a lot to shell out Has anyone got any experience of it, or any other recommendations?

Have not ridden on the Candy SL, but I do have the Eggbeater S pedals. I like the way they feel when you are clipped in. I noticed the float when I first started riding with them, but now it has become normal. As for getting out, it is easy when you twist out like stated in the manual. You can only twist out, there is no pulling up or anything. You may look at the Mallet C, it has a large platform, which is good for the days you do not want to put on your shoes, or for quick trips to the store. For multiple released you may consider something in a Shimano pedal. Good luck, and remember to clip out before you stop, until you get used to them.

Yes, it's a lot of cash to lay out. It went against my parsimonious nature when I bought mine, but no regrets. They are SS, so same price as regular SS Eggbeaters.
Very easy clip in and out, don't worry about that. I sort of half way wonder what would happen if I Endo'd; maybe some MTBers can tell us if other pedals release forwards
You can use the platform and pedal fairly well, but it isn't a substitute for a real platform. Plan on wearing your bike shoes. My personal view is if you constantly ride in traffic, clipless pedals aren't worth the performance boost relative to safety. Many people disagree.
I bought new shoes with the pedals and had to butcher them to get the cleats to engage. Probably the shoe was the problem not the cleats, but don't know.
Good luck!
;)

I rode eggbeater pedals for a year...LOVED THEM!

until my bike was stolen..

The only thing I noticed was occasional hotspots, due to a bit smaller than average contact area between cleat/pedal/shoe, but perhaps it was just my shoes.

randy

Eggbeaters are the greatest MTB pedals in my opinion. I have used all maneer of clipless pedals in all kinds of conditions and the eggbeaters are the answer. They have flost to save your knees and generally are just what you need. Once you have a pair you will never go back, they cost money but hey what does not?

I've been using Egg Beater S pedals on my commuter and Candy SL pedals on my MTB for the past month or so. I really like both sets of pedals. The Candys are a touch easier to ride not clipped in, though you wouldn't want to ride them without cycling shoes.

I've had no problems on my commutes with the Egg Beaters. Riding unclipped for short sections is easy enough, and I find them very stable when clipped in and a piece of cake to unclip from in a hurry. Since the cleat is the same at both front and back, you can unclip forwards - very handy when getting out in a hurry!!!

For longer rides you may get some hotspots, but I haven't had too many problems when using a stiff-soled MTB shoe.

Thanks for all the feedback,everybody. All pretty positive. I like th idea, too of being able to unclip forward as well as back in extremis! Feeling hotspots on the shoes is something I won't know about till it happens and I guess it depends on a lot of factors anyway. Presumably,most SPD cleated shoes are compatible? I've heard stories of people having to cut their shoes about to fit the cleats.