Elasticity of a double butted spoke

Chris

Guest
I've done spoke elasticity and spoke elongation calculations based on the formulas in "The Bicycle
Wheel" pg 128, now then is it possible to figure out how much elasticity and elongation a DT 14/15
double butted 293mm spoke has?

I'm no engineer or such, just a bike mechanic who likes to try and figure stuff out.

Chrise who? writes:

> I've done spoke elasticity and spoke elongation calculations based on the formulas in "The Bicycle
> Wheel" pg 128, now then is it possible to figure out how much elasticity and elongation a DT 14/15
> double butted 293mm spoke has?

I guess you have all the information you need. Calculate the spoke cross section and measure the
length. Depending on the rim cross section and number of spokes, you'll need to estimate how many
spokes are affected by loading the wheel.

> I'm no engineer or such, just a bike mechanic who likes to try and figure stuff out.

Try this:

http://www.uoregon.edu/~struct/courseware/461/461_example_problems/ex_prob_lecture_25/461_exampl-
e25-1.html