Entry level Bikes

G

Hiya

I am a entry level kinda guy basically getting into cycling as a way of aerobic and lower body muscle training. I am looking for a bike that will last for about this initial period while I train before getting into the Hi-Fi self assembled varieties. I am about 172cms (5ft 10) and have a shorter torso... (me legs are long and skinny). Could you guys recommend a bike for me. Also Is there a way of measuring myself so that I can choose a frame size

As of now I am seriously looking at buying the following

Manufacturer: Schwinn
Model: `01 Super Sport GLX
Year: 2001
Size: Large 
Color: Blue 
Head angle: 73º
Seat angle: 73º
Top tube length: 21.85"

Chainstay length: 16.5"
Wheelbase: 39.1" 
Brakes: Shimano 105
Cassette: Shimano 105
Crank Set: Shimano 105 Triple
Grips: Tape
Handlebar: 3T THE
Headset: Tange Seiki Passage
Hubs: Velomax Circuit Comp
Fork:
Kinesis Carbon Fiber
Frame: 7005 Aluminum
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105
Pedals: Shimano SPD-M515
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105

Rims: Velomax Circuit Comp
Seat: Selle Italia XO Trans Am
Seatpost: Kalloy
Shifters: Shimano 105 STI
Stem: Alloy
Tires: Michelin Axial Sport

Kracksman

Krackman - No, the Large frame is to big for you. The best way to find the correct frame size is to go and measure you at the local cycle shop. But my guess is : you'll fit on a 52 cm or a "small" frame size (giant frame). I'll try and find that site to help you setup the bike.

Easiest way to setup the bike (picture by picture)

http://www.supercycling.co.za/content.asp?cId=1632

Krackman - No, the Large frame is to big for you. The best way to find the correct frame size is to go and measure you at the local cycle shop. But my guess is : you'll fit on a 52 cm or a "small" frame size (giant frame). I'll try and find that site to help you setup the bike.

Thanks Pothole for the heads up. I will get to the bike shop and get measured. The website for bike setup was very useful.

BTW which bikes are better "Treks, Giants or Schwinns" for more rough roads. There are quite a few potholes in the area I live and roads have cracks in them. Also Are there lower end versions of the Trek OCLVs.

Is it cheaper to assemble bikes or buy them off the shelf at a shop?

kracksman

Apparently, Trek OCLVs don't have a cheaper line. They do sell an aluminum version though.

The Giant's are, IMO, the best bang for the buck bike in your list. Check out Slowtwitch.com for their review of this line of bikes.

You seem to be inclined to choosing among sloping frames. don't limit your choices to those, you could be missing al lot :)