ERD of Mavic Open Pro and Sport Rims?

Larry Dickman

Guest
What's the ERD of the Mavic Open Pro rim, and also, what is the ERD of
the Open Sport rim? Thanks.

Larry Dickman wrote:
> What's the ERD of the Mavic Open Pro rim, and also, what is the ERD of
> the Open Sport rim?

According to a post by Peter Chisolm:

Open Pro 605 mm, Open Sport 608 mm.

Art Harris

A.Muzi has a suggestion. Braze two welding rods together end to end
then add a stop on one end.
That would give outside eyelet/rim to ditto

"datakoll" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> A.Muzi has a suggestion. Braze two welding rods together end to end
> then add a stop on one end.
> That would give outside eyelet/rim to ditto

We have always used threaded rod and fiber nuts. It is infinitely adjustable
and accurate.

Bruce

datakoll wrote:
> A.Muzi has a suggestion. Braze two welding rods together end to end
> then add a stop on one end.
> That would give outside eyelet/rim to ditto

That doesn't help if you don't have the rim yet. He's looking for a
rim with an ERD similar to what he has now so he can use the same
spokes.

Art Harris

In article
<36c12d7b-599b-4fdc-ac67-6d18b4fc96db@p73g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
Art Harris <[email protected]> wrote:

> datakoll wrote:
> > A.Muzi has a suggestion. Braze two welding rods together end to end
> > then add a stop on one end.
> > That would give outside eyelet/rim to ditto
> >

> That doesn't help if you don't have the rim yet. He's looking for a
> rim with an ERD similar to what he has now so he can use the same
> spokes.
>
> Art Harris

Yes, that is correct. I'm thinking of swapping out a creaking Open Pro
rim with an Open Sport if the spoke lengths are about the same.

I also want to determine the replacement spoke length for my Open Pros
without having to remove spokes and measuring.

Larry Dickman wrote:

>>> A.Muzi has a suggestion. Braze two welding rods together end to
>>> end then add a stop on one end. That would give outside
>>> eyelet/rim to ditto

>> That doesn't help if you don't have the rim yet. He's looking for
>> a rim with an ERD similar to what he has now so he can use the same
>> spokes.

> Yes, that is correct. I'm thinking of swapping out a creaking Open
> Pro rim with an Open Sport if the spoke lengths are about the same.

> I also want to determine the replacement spoke length for my Open
> Pros without having to remove spokes and measuring.

With rim in hand, I see no difficulty measuring the OD of the rim and
then measuring from that OD down to the top of a spoke nipple and
subtracting that value twice from the OD. That is the ERD [Effective
Rim Diameter] for calculating spoke lengths.

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] wrote:
> We have always used threaded rod and fiber nuts. It is infinitely adjustable
> and accurate.

That's another good method.
Just about any measurement is better than an opinion.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org