Ergo cable guards- Have you used these?

gocycling03

Oct 13, 2003
Hi everyone. Just wanted an opinion if you have tried these ergo cable guards on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?viewItem&item=3659800544&category=36140 . I have problems with my cables rubbing on my pinarello's frame and it is starting to have markings on the head tube area. Are there other solutions that you can give me? Seems like the pictures and the theory behind seems to be practical and possibly could work. Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Originally posted by gocycling03
Hi everyone. Just wanted an opinion if you have tried these ergo cable guards on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?viewItem&item=3659800544&category=36140 . I have problems with my cables rubbing on my pinarello's frame and it is starting to have markings on the head tube area. Are there other solutions that you can give me? Seems like the pictures and the theory behind seems to be practical and possibly could work. Your inputs are highly appreciated.

They look like a VERY good idea. They also look like some bloke has just tracked down the right sized rubber O-rings and stuck them in a baggy! I wonder if I can identify and locate them and how cheaply they can be bought.

Derailleur housing is typically 4 or 5 mm. I measured 4 mm housing with digital calipers and got around 4.23 mm. You can buy O-rings that size for about $5/100 and that's not even the best price you can find on the 'net.

I probably already have some O-rings that fit since I keep a variety around for my air rifle but I'm probably too lazy to undo the derailleur cable just to slide some O-rings on.

Putting something on the cable housings only protect them but not the frame. I have a Ti frame so I only need to protect the housing from wear.

Originally posted by jstraw
They look like a VERY good idea. They also look like some bloke has just tracked down the right sized rubber O-rings and stuck them in a baggy! I wonder if I can identify and locate them and how cheaply they can be bought.
They will still cause rubs. Use clear tape on the headtube.

Originally posted by boudreaux
They will still cause rubs. Use clear tape on the headtube.

Sounds like a great idea and that's less than $6.00 to prevent those rubbing problem. I will try the taping and possibly look for a thick one used for packaging. Thanks guys.

Try the self-stick "laminating sheets" from an office supply store. It's very thick, and easier to use. Clean the frame area where they will be applied with rubbing alcohol first, and they will stick great !!! I cut little squares about 2cm and round off the corners.

Also makes a great chainstay protector !!!

put the tape on the cable housing. if it is black use some electrial tape.

Originally posted by boudreaux
That will still cause rubs.
but it will not wear off the paint and I doubt it will leave anything on the paint.