Ergo lever issues-QBP campy service

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris

Couple weeks back I crashed my road bike and broke the top most area of the body assembly on my 2003
record 10 speed right ergo lever. Up where the guides for the housing and cables are. The shifter
continued to work fine it just flopped around on the handlebars, so it required two hands to shift.
One to hold the ergo lever and another to hit the desired hi or low shift lever.

I decided to send it into qbp for the service since my spare time right now doesn't exist. So I get
it back the other day after they replaced the body and the first thing I notice is the brake lever
has a lot of side to side play. Ok great...annoyance but not critical.

Bolt it on the bike and run the cables, go to shift from the high gear. Nothing, the lever goes
through it's travel but no cable pull or click. Hit the low and high a couple times and it pops up.
Ok now we are getting some where, well too fast though. It only stops at 8 gears including the low
and high when going from low-high. So there's only like 5 or 6 actual gear clicks. I can see the
ratchet skipping over a couple of the teeth on the gear by the low shift(to bigger cogs) lever. But
when coming back down from low to high it usually hit's all ten gears. It also continues to have the
same problem I described above in the high gear 50% of the time and can never get all the gears
going up the cassette.

Anyone else dealt w/ qbp and their campy service? Not a good first experience for myself.

I've worked with half a dozen or so ergo levers in the past changing the # of speeds they can
handle so I'm somewhat in the know on their dis-assembly and re-assembly, but diagnosing this
problem has got me.

Anyone have an idea on what could be the problem?

BTW the shifters have never given me any issues in the past, and the crash seemed to only damage
that very high part of the shifter and nothing around the shift mechanism. I'm not planning on
sending this back to qbp or any other parts for servicing in the future.

The sun has shown itself, I wana ride. Chris

Well I took apart the back half of the shifter and isolated the problem to the coil spring/coil
spring bushing was installed incorrectly. So I reinstalled that assembly and presto I have a fully
functional shifter.

Chris

On 2/18/04 7:41 PM, in article BC59707F.11ABF%[email protected], "Chris"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Couple weeks back I crashed my road bike and broke the top most area of the body assembly on my
> 2003 record 10 speed right ergo lever. Up where the guides for the housing and cables are. The
> shifter continued to work fine it just flopped around on the handlebars, so it required two hands
> to shift. One to hold the ergo lever and another to hit the desired hi or low shift lever.
>
> I decided to send it into qbp for the service since my spare time right now doesn't exist. So I
> get it back the other day after they replaced the body and the first thing I notice is the brake
> lever has a lot of side to side play. Ok great...annoyance but not critical.
>
> Bolt it on the bike and run the cables, go to shift from the high gear. Nothing, the lever goes
> through it's travel but no cable pull or click. Hit the low and high a couple times and it pops
> up. Ok now we are getting some where, well too fast though. It only stops at 8 gears including the
> low and high when going from low-high. So there's only like 5 or 6 actual gear clicks. I can see
> the ratchet skipping over a couple of the teeth on the gear by the low shift(to bigger cogs)
> lever. But when coming back down from low to high it usually hit's all ten gears. It also
> continues to have the same problem I described above in the high gear 50% of the time and can
> never get all the gears going up the cassette.
>
> Anyone else dealt w/ qbp and their campy service? Not a good first experience for myself.
>
> I've worked with half a dozen or so ergo levers in the past changing the # of speeds they can
> handle so I'm somewhat in the know on their dis-assembly and re-assembly, but diagnosing this
> problem has got me.
>
> Anyone have an idea on what could be the problem?
>
> BTW the shifters have never given me any issues in the past, and the crash seemed to only damage
> that very high part of the shifter and nothing around the shift mechanism. I'm not planning on
> sending this back to qbp or any other parts for servicing in the future.
>
> The sun has shown itself, I wana ride. Chris

Chris wrote:

> Well I took apart the back half of the shifter and isolated the problem to the coil spring/coil
> spring bushing was installed incorrectly. So I reinstalled that assembly and presto I have a fully
> functional shifter.
>
> Chris

I need to rebuild my right ergo. Was this hard to do? Or should I pay to have it done?

Kenny Lee

Chris wrote:
> Couple weeks back I crashed my road bike and broke the top most area of the body assembly on my
> 2003 record 10 speed right ergo lever.
-snip-
> Bolt it on the bike and run the cables, go to shift from the high gear. Nothing, the lever goes
> through it's travel but no cable pull or click. Hit the low and high a couple times and it pops
> up. Ok now we are getting some where, well too fast though. It only stops at 8 gears including the
> low and high when going from low-high. So there's only like 5 or 6 actual gear clicks. I can see
> the ratchet skipping over a couple of the teeth on the gear by the low shift(to bigger cogs)
> lever. But when coming back down from low to high it usually hit's all ten gears. It also
> continues to have the same problem I described above in the high gear 50% of the time and can
> never get all the gears going up the cassette. Anyone else dealt w/ qbp and their campy service?
> Not a good first experience for myself. I've worked with half a dozen or so ergo levers in the
> past changing the # of speeds they can handle so I'm somewhat in the know on their dis-assembly
> and re-assembly, but diagnosing this problem has got me. Anyone have an idea on what could be the
> problem? BTW the shifters have never given me any issues in the past, and the crash seemed to only
> damage that very high part of the shifter and nothing around the shift mechanism. I'm not planning
> on sending this back to qbp or any other parts for servicing in the future. The sun has shown
> itself, I wana ride.

Usually a cable problem exhibits exactly the opposite, missing shifts to high not low. Any reason
you didn't open the lever?

You wrote :
>It only stops at 8 gears including the low and high when going from low-high.

But then wrote:
>coming back down from low to high it usually hit's all ten gears.

So i have to admit I don't know what's wrong. Maybe Fogel can lend some tips on composition. Or in
film, they call it 'continuity'.
--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I think it was not too hard. Although I have overhauled 6 or 8 before. I have the campy service
videos which supplement the diagrams quite well. The overhaul goes pretty smooth when you have all
your new pieces sitting there and just pop them in.

Chris

On 2/18/04 10:23 PM, in article [email protected], "Kenny Lee"

> Chris wrote:
>
>> Well I took apart the back half of the shifter and isolated the problem to the coil spring/coil
>> spring bushing was installed incorrectly. So I reinstalled that assembly and presto I have a
>> fully functional shifter.
>>
>> Chris
>
> I need to rebuild my right ergo. Was this hard to do? Or should I pay to have it done?
>
> Kenny Lee

On 2/18/04 10:35 PM, in article [email protected], "A Muzi"

>
> Usually a cable problem exhibits exactly the opposite, missing shifts to high not low. Any reason
> you didn't open the lever?
>
> You wrote :
>> It only stops at 8 gears including the low and high when going from low-high.
>

The above should've said "it only stops in 8 gears including the low and high when going from
high to low.

> But then wrote:
>> coming back down from low to high it usually hit's all ten gears.
>
> So i have to admit I don't know what's wrong. Maybe Fogel can lend some tips on composition. Or in
> film, they call it 'continuity'.

So sorry, there's some evidence of my 'C' effort in English class. I did end up opening it up and
now it works. See previous post.

Kenny Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Chris wrote:
>
> > Well I took apart the back half of the shifter and isolated the problem to the coil spring/coil
> > spring bushing was installed incorrectly. So I reinstalled that assembly and presto I have a
> > fully functional shifter.
> >
> > Chris
>
> I need to rebuild my right ergo. Was this hard to do? Or should I pay to have it done?
>
> Kenny Lee

If you're reasonably mechanically adept and have at least average fine motor control you can do it.
I did it and managed through persistence
- others should have an easier time (search for my description of my experience rebuilding a pair of
pointy ergos).

App

c anderson-<< I decided to send it into qbp for the service since my spare time right now doesn't
exist. So I get it back the other day after they replaced the body and the first thing I notice is
the brake lever has a lot of side to side play. >><BR><BR> << So there's only like 5 or 6 actual
gear clicks. I can see the ratchet skipping over a couple of the teeth on the gear by the low
shift(to bigger cogs) lever >><BR><BR>

They gooned up the rebuild. I say the center thru bolt has slipped out of the shift disc flats. Plus
sounds like when they took off the brake lever, they didn't replace the little bushings on either
side of the brake lever.

If ya send it to me, I'll fix it...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

In article <[email protected]>,
Kenny Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
>Chris wrote:
>
>> Well I took apart the back half of the shifter and isolated the problem to the coil spring/coil
>> spring bushing was installed incorrectly. So I reinstalled that assembly and presto I have a
>> fully functional shifter.
>>
>> Chris
>
>I need to rebuild my right ergo. Was this hard to do? Or should I pay to have it done?

It can be challenging the first time through but not really complicated, the mechanism is pretty
simple and I know people who have successfully overhauled an ergo lever with no instructions, just
lay it out the way it came apart and put it back the same way.

I didn't have the Campy instructions so I wrote up a procedure after overhauling my own. My
instructions are not exactly the same as Campagnolo's but pretty close. The way I wound up the
spring is probably harder than the factory recommended way but I didn't know at the time I wrote it.

http://www.etext.org/~pauls/ergo_overhaul.html

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Chris wrote:
> > Couple weeks back I crashed my road bike and broke the top most area of the body assembly on my
> > 2003 record 10 speed right ergo lever.
> -snip-
> > Bolt it on the bike and run the cables, go to shift from the high gear. Nothing, the lever goes
> > through it's travel but no cable pull or click. Hit the low and high a couple times and it pops
> > up. Ok now we are getting some where, well too fast though. It only stops at 8 gears including
> > the low and high when going from low-high. So there's only like 5 or 6 actual gear clicks. I can
> > see the ratchet skipping over a couple of the teeth on the gear by the low shift(to bigger cogs)
> > lever. But when coming back down from low to high it usually hit's all ten gears. It also
> > continues to have the same problem I described above in the high gear 50% of the time and can
> > never get all the gears going up the cassette. Anyone else dealt w/ qbp and their campy service?
> > Not a good first experience for myself. I've worked with half a dozen or so ergo levers in the
> > past changing the # of speeds they can handle so I'm somewhat in the know on their dis-assembly
> > and re-assembly, but diagnosing this problem has got me. Anyone have an idea on what could be
> > the problem? BTW the shifters have never given me any issues in the past, and the crash seemed
> > to only damage that very high part of the shifter and nothing around the shift mechanism. I'm
> > not planning on sending this back to qbp or any other parts for servicing in the future. The sun
> > has shown itself, I wana ride.
>
> Usually a cable problem exhibits exactly the opposite, missing shifts to high not low. Any reason
> you didn't open the lever?
>
> You wrote :
> >It only stops at 8 gears including the low and high when going from low-high.
>
> But then wrote:
> >coming back down from low to high it usually hit's all ten gears.
>
> So i have to admit I don't know what's wrong. Maybe Fogel can lend some tips on composition. Or in
> film, they call it 'continuity'.

Dear Andrew,

Concerning composition, we often fuss about restricting the apostrophe to signalling contraction
(missin' letters) or non-pronoun possession (it's not used in my, mine, our, ours, your, yours, his,
her, hers, their, or theirs).

Using it just to warn that an "s" is a-comin' is frowned upon and "hits" a faintly off note in
writing, just as wavering between "i" and "I" lingers on the brink of fingernails on blackboards to
the over-sensitive.

(Curiously, we sometimes use the period for missin' letters and call it abbreviation--Mr. W.
Shakespeare in the U.K. comes to mind. But it ain't regular, as the D'Arbanvilles say.)

Screw 'em, as Shakespeare might say--it reads fine aloud. Grammar, spelling, and punctuation matter
about as much in this newsgroup as the paint job on the bicycle. We'd all like to have beautiful
bikes, but we're far more interested in how they work, not how they look. Those who make the
greatest fuss about the style of other people's posts often have the least to say and leave
themselves wide open to far harsher literary criticism.

But the topic was shifting up and down . . .

When ascending (shifting upward), the skilled violinist generally uses the open strings.

When descending (shifting downward), it is better to play the same note by fingering a lower string.

Unfortunately, in the first of the seven traditional fingering positions, this means that the easily
played open D string must instead be played as the same D note on the lower G string, so the fourth
and weakest finger is stretched way the hell over, and then ya gotta push down on that monster-thick
G-cable with yer pinkie, and the end of mine's mangled from when I dropped a rock on it as a kid.

(A modest pause ensues to admire the contractive apostrophe cleverly tacked onto the normally apostrophe-
free pronoun.)

It wouldn't be so bad if that damned Yitzhak Perlman would stop sitting there with that relaxed,
happy look on his face, as if he's just listening to music on headphones and finds what he's doing
no more difficult than idly drumming his fingers.

As for derailleurs not hitting the gears when shifting up, but hitting them when shifting down, I
haven't a clue. I use friction down-tube shifters and seven rear cogs, so these modern technological
fiascoes are beyond my experience. But if a damaged shifter refused to work, I'd replace it or have
someone peer into its guts and replace the bad parts.

There--that should be enough to illustrate how those who write most about style, grammar, spelling,
and punctuation have the least to say about how our two-wheeled contraptions work.

Digressively,

Carl Fogel

Chris wrote:
> I think it was not too hard. Although I have overhauled 6 or 8 before. I have the campy service
> videos which supplement the diagrams quite well. The overhaul goes pretty smooth when you have all
> your new pieces sitting there and just pop them in.

I find it a physically difficult job.

Does anyone know if the videos are available in Europe?

~PB

I've got them on digital format, quicktime. I might be able to email them, but they are pretty
hefty size.

Chris

On 2/19/04 1:29 PM, in article [email protected], "Pete Biggs"
<ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>> I think it was not too hard. Although I have overhauled 6 or 8 before. I have the campy service
>> videos which supplement the diagrams quite well. The overhaul goes pretty smooth when you have
>> all your new pieces sitting there and just pop them in.
>
> I find it a physically difficult job.
>
> Does anyone know if the videos are available in Europe?
>
> ~PB

Chris wrote:
> I've got them on digital format, quicktime. I might be able to email them, but they are pretty
> hefty size.

Thanks Chris but I don't think my modem or computer will be up to handling that, unfortunately.

~PB

>>Chris wrote:
>>>Couple weeks back I crashed my road bike and broke the top most area of the body assembly on my
>>>2003 record 10 speed right ergo lever.
>> -snip-
>>>Bolt it on the bike and run the cables, go to shift from the high gear. Nothing, the lever goes
>>>through it's travel but no cable pull or click. Hit the low and high a couple times and it pops
>>>up. Ok now we are getting some where, well too fast though. It only stops at 8 gears including
>>>the low and high when going from low-high. So there's only like 5 or 6 actual gear clicks. I can
>>>see the ratchet skipping over a couple of the teeth on the gear by the low shift(to bigger cogs)
>>>lever. But when coming back down from low to high it usually hit's all ten gears. It also
>>>continues to have the same problem I described above in the high gear 50% of the time and can
>>>never get all the gears going up the cassette. Anyone else dealt w/ qbp and their campy service?
>>>Not a good first exper
-snip-

>>Usually a cable problem exhibits exactly the opposite, missing shifts to high not low. Any reason
>>you didn't open the lever?
>>
>>You wrote :
>> >It only stops at 8 gears including the low and high when going from low-high.
>>
>>But then wrote:
>> >coming back down from low to high it usually hit's all ten gears.
>>
>>So i have to admit I don't know what's wrong. Maybe Fogel can lend some tips on composition. Or in
>>film, they call it 'continuity'.

Carl Fogel wrote:
> Concerning composition, we often fuss about restricting the apostrophe
-snip much about minor typo-
> Digressively,

Geez, I wouldn't harp about a typo. (This kettle is way too black for that) I meant the direct
contradiction in his description.

If it both: "doesn't shift well low to high" yet also: "shifts well low to high"

I'm surely confused. That's why I mentioned "continuity".

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Chris wrote:

> I've got them on digital format, quicktime. I might be able to email them, but they are pretty
> hefty size.
>
> Chris
>
Chris can you email me this video?

Kenny Lee

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >>Chris wrote:
> >>>Couple weeks back I crashed my road bike and broke the top most area of the body assembly on my
> >>>2003 record 10 speed right ergo lever.
> -snip-
> >>>Bolt it on the bike and run the cables, go to shift from the high gear. Nothing, the lever goes
> >>>through it's travel but no cable pull or click. Hit the low and high a couple times and it pops
> >>>up. Ok now we are getting some where, well too fast though. It only stops at 8 gears including
> >>>the low and high when going from low-high. So there's only like 5 or 6 actual gear clicks. I
> >>>can see the ratchet skipping over a couple of the teeth on the gear by the low shift(to bigger
> >>>cogs) lever. But when coming back down from low to high it usually hit's all ten gears. It also
> >>>continues to have the same problem I described above in the high gear 50% of the time and can
> >>>never get all the gears going up the cassette. Anyone else dealt w/ qbp and their campy
> >>>service? Not a good first exper
> -snip-
>
> >>Usually a cable problem exhibits exactly the opposite, missing shifts to high not low. Any
> >>reason you didn't open the lever?
> >>
> >>You wrote :
> >> >It only stops at 8 gears including the low and high when going from low-high.
> >>
> >>But then wrote:
> >> >coming back down from low to high it usually hit's all ten gears.
> >>
> >>So i have to admit I don't know what's wrong. Maybe Fogel can lend some tips on composition. Or
> >>in film, they call it 'continuity'.
>
>
> Carl Fogel wrote:
> > Concerning composition, we often fuss about restricting the apostrophe
> -snip much about minor typo-
> > Digressively,
>
> Geez, I wouldn't harp about a typo. (This kettle is way too black for that) I meant the direct
> contradiction in his description.
>
> If it both: "doesn't shift well low to high" yet also: "shifts well low to high"
>
> I'm surely confused. That's why I mentioned "continuity".

Dear Andrew,

Oh, that--I just took Chris's description to be a bit confused and that he meant that his bike
shifts well in one direction, hitting all the gears, but not in the other direction, missing a few.

Going from low gear to high gear is going "up" in terms of speed, as in car gearing--low, second,
third, fourth, high.

But going from low gear to high gear is also going "down" in terms of the derailleur dragging the
upper chain run downward and outward toward the smallest high-speed cog from the largest, low-speed,
climbing cog. It's also "down" in terms of going from the 28 tooth rear cog to the 12 tooth.

Running up the scale, you play the open string on a fiddle, but running down the scale, you use a
finger on the next lower, thicker, and harder-to-reach string to play the same note--going up is
different than going down, which was what I thought Chris's problem was.

Carl Fogel

Status
Not open for further replies.