Ethical and helpful US online shops?

p_b_floyd

New Member
Jul 14, 2004
Bad experience with Nashbar prompts this.

They had some stuff worth about $US50 and estimated shipping costs were about $US13. With stronger $A, *much* cheaper than Oz prices (and wider product choice), and despite general agreement with the mfhor look-after-your-LBS-resources line, I put toe in water and ordered.

After 2 days, no confirmation from them; reminded them; confirmation came: in effect " we're onto it". 3 days later, they say shipping cost will be $US65 - theyr'e using a private courier. No response to my query: why not use US Post? So, expectations raised and dashed, time wasted.

I've seen recent web complaints about Performance Bike.

Which shops *currently* are OK?

Thanks

p_b_floyd said:
Bad experience with Nashbar prompts this.

They had some stuff worth about $US50 and estimated shipping costs were about $US13. With stronger $A, *much* cheaper than Oz prices (and wider product choice), and despite general agreement with the mfhor look-after-your-LBS-resources line, I put toe in water and ordered.

After 2 days, no confirmation from them; reminded them; confirmation came: in effect " we're onto it". 3 days later, they say shipping cost will be $US65 - theyr'e using a private courier. No response to my query: why not use US Post? So, expectations raised and dashed, time wasted.

I've seen recent web complaints about Performance Bike.

Which shops *currently* are OK?

Thanks
I have jousted with Performance and generally come out ahead. You just have to treat buying from OS shops like OS travel - relax, its a bit of a game, you might not get exactly what you thought you were getting but you will eventually get to where you need to go.

If I need something now or it is something without which my bike will not go, I get it from my LBS. If it is something I just can't get in Aus, I order it from OS - currently got 24" 1.25 semi-slicks for daughter's bike on order from Sheldon Brown as there appears to be no such thing in Aus. If it is an item like a spare that I do not currently need and there is a good deal going, I may buy it OS.

I have had good experience with Performance in the US (just needs patience sometimes) and Probikekit in the UK (they sent me the wrong size jersey once, but could not be more helpful in swapping it). I still deal with both now along with my LBS.

SteveA

p_b_floyd wrote -

> Which shops *currently* are OK?

Have had good results with

shoes - http://www.totalcycling.com/

tyres - http://www.parker-international.co.uk/

Prices (incl shipping) maybe 1/3 to 1/2 that of sticker prices in
conventional Oz bike shops.- the uk sites seem to be ok with some debate on
items as to total overall landed cost in Oz - the us folk seem to only worry
about the "mouse click price" - eg the uk folk are savvy as to how to dodge
gst and duty in Oz - break up the packages baby!

Anything that needs observation, skill or judgement (like something that
alters your position such as aero bars, a new seat or stem) - way better to
stick with the expertise knowledge and experience of the lbs.

And maybe (heretical thought follows) we should pay for the time taken for
good advice and benefit of experience - gonna get the lbs guy to position
and mark on the soles where the cleats need to go on the new shoes (wore out
a pair of sidi's after 6 yrs) - and I think the pricing paradigm changes to
buy your bits at best, and then be prepared to pay for advice from the wise.

Watch what is going to happen with manufacture of consumer items -
Taiwanese/Chinese will cease to be synonyms for inferior but the skill (and
margin) will be in knowing which bits to choose and how best to install and
use them - and that's best done locally.

best, Andrew

SteveA wrote:
> p_b_floyd Wrote:
>
>>Bad experience with Nashbar prompts this.
>>
>>They had some stuff worth about $US50 and estimated shipping costs were
>>about $US13. With stronger $A, *much* cheaper than Oz prices (and wider
>>product choice), and despite general agreement with the mfhor
>>look-after-your-LBS-resources line, I put toe in water and ordered.
>>
>>After 2 days, no confirmation from them; reminded them; confirmation
>>came: in effect " we're onto it". 3 days later, they say shipping cost
>>will be $US65 - theyr'e using a private courier. No response to my
>>query: why not use US Post? So, expectations raised and dashed, time
>>wasted.
>>
>>I've seen recent web complaints about Performance Bike.
>>
>>Which shops *currently* are OK?
>>
>>Thanks

> I have jousted with Performance and generally come out ahead. You just
> have to treat buying from OS shops like OS travel - relax, its a bit of
> a game, you might not get exactly what you thought you were getting but
> you will eventually get to where you need to go.
>
> If I need something now or it is something without which my bike will
> not go, I get it from my LBS. If it is something I just can't get in
> Aus, I order it from OS - currently got 24" 1.25 semi-slicks for
> daughter's bike on order from Sheldon Brown as there appears to be no
> such thing in Aus. If it is an item like a spare that I do not
> currently need and there is a good deal going, I may buy it OS.
>
> I have had good experience with Performance in the US (just needs
> patience sometimes) and Probikekit in the UK (they sent me the wrong
> size jersey once, but could not be more helpful in swapping it). I
> still deal with both now along with my LBS.
>
> SteveA

Harris Cyclery (Sheldon Brown) is an exception. It's one of the few that
will send by cheaper post. Most of the others don't care, and will send
it by whatever is easiest for them and you pay the expense. If you're
going to buy from overseas you have to buy a lot to make it economical.

"p_b_floyd" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:p[email protected]...

> Bad experience with Nashbar prompts this.
>
> They had some stuff worth about $US50 and estimated shipping costs were
> about $US13.

<snip>

> 3 days later, they say shipping cost will be $US65 - theyr'e using a

private courier.

Whoaah!! Smacks of a total ripoff!

> Which shops *currently* are OK?

Have dealt with the following, with good experiences:

www.aebike.com
www.wallbike.com - Brooks saddles, Tubus racks and touring gear
www.cambriabike.com
www.sjscycles.com - British, a great touring/Audax site
www.unterwegs.biz - German, need to translate: http://www.systranbox.com/ ,
bought Ortlieb panniers (full set) for ~$200 less than local prices
www.torpedo7.com - NZ site with selected MTB gear inc. chains & cassettes at
quite low prices.

All are strongly recommended as sites that will not rip you off and get
things to you quite rapidly.

Cheers
Peter

p_b_floyd said:
Bad experience with Nashbar prompts this.

Which shops *currently* are OK?

Cambriabike hasn't given me any trouble when ordering "basic" items. First time they were a bit slow on issues that needed follow-up questions, but the 2nd time they dealt with that as well quickly and efficiently.

Peter Signorini wrote:

> "p_b_floyd" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:p[email protected]...
> >
> > Bad experience with Nashbar prompts this.
> >
> > They had some stuff worth about $US50 and estimated shipping costs
> > were about $US13.

> <snip>
>
> > 3 days later, they say shipping cost will be $US65 - theyr'e using a

> private courier.
>
> Whoaah!! Smacks of a total ripoff!
>
> > Which shops currently are OK?

> Have dealt with the following, with good experiences:
>
> www.aebike.com
> www.wallbike.com - Brooks saddles, Tubus racks and touring gear
> www.cambriabike.com
> www.sjscycles.com - British, a great touring/Audax site
> www.unterwegs.biz - German, need to translate:
> http://www.systranbox.com/ , bought Ortlieb panniers (full set) for
> ~$200 less than local prices www.torpedo7.com - NZ site with selected
> MTB gear inc. chains & cassettes at quite low prices.
>
> All are strongly recommended as sites that will not rip you off and
> get things to you quite rapidly.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

Haven't tried the others, but I second the recommendation for
aebike.com.

Andrew Reddaway said:
Peter Signorini wrote:

> "p_b_floyd" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:p[email protected]...
> >
> > Bad experience with Nashbar prompts this.
> >
> > They had some stuff worth about $US50 and estimated shipping costs
> > were about $US13.

> <snip>
>
> > 3 days later, they say shipping cost will be $US65 - theyr'e using a

> private courier.
>
> Whoaah!! Smacks of a total ripoff!
>
> > Which shops currently are OK?

> Have dealt with the following, with good experiences:
>
> www.aebike.com
> www.wallbike.com - Brooks saddles, Tubus racks and touring gear
> www.cambriabike.com
> www.sjscycles.com - British, a great touring/Audax site
> www.unterwegs.biz - German, need to translate:
> http://www.systranbox.com/ , bought Ortlieb panniers (full set) for
> ~$200 less than local prices www.torpedo7.com - NZ site with selected
> MTB gear inc. chains & cassettes at quite low prices.
>
> All are strongly recommended as sites that will not rip you off and
> get things to you quite rapidly.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

Haven't tried the others, but I second the recommendation for
aebike.com.
I have generally found the UK shops are better for pricing and shipping for bicycle related items, where as the US is better for electrical or computer related items.

if buying from the states you must always stipulate for them to use USPS if you dont they will do what they did with you and try and sting you. And then also you might get hit with having to pay customs as well.

USPS bypasses all that stuff and even better if you are not home it gets carded and you can pick it up from the local post office, without having to try and deal with some cranky "could not give a stuff" courier or courier company.

I have purchased from the following and not had any problems. They all gave
the option of shipping USPS:

Harris Cyclery
Loose Screws
Cambria Bike
Rivendell (you have to ask for USPS shipping in the area for comments when
making the web order, their web site says that they don't do it, but they
will if asked)
Phil Wood (if you want Phil Wood hubs or bottom brackets)