ethical dilemma

TKB

Guest
in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight
duo and battery, no charger, and no brackets to hold
the light's.

It's got to be stolen but it's only $50, anyone want to
rationalise it to me in such a way that I don't feel guilty
buying it!

Originally posted by TKB
in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight
duo and battery, no charger, and no brackets to hold
the light's.
It's got to be stolen but it's only $50, anyone want to
rationalise it to me in such a way that I don't feel guilty
buying it!

How much money do you earn?
How much night riding do you do?
How much would you miss those lights if they were stolen off
your own bike?
With no bracket or charger - how are you gonna mount and charge them?
Have you priced similar, new models?

If you are on a good wage, don't be such a tightass (I can talk :p). If you need to night ride and you can't afford another
system then buy them. I wouldn't knowingly buy stolen gear, because I'd hate to support that 'industry', but if you don't
have the cash and you need it.. well.. someone else is just
gonna buy it anyway.

That probably didn't help.. but I felt like a braindump. Oh, are
you SURE it's stolen? The person selling might have just lost
the rest of the kit? (How's that for justification..)

hippy

<TKB> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight duo
> and battery, no charger, and no brackets to hold the
> light's.
>
> It's got to be stolen but it's only $50, anyone want to
> rationalise it to
me
> in such a way that I don't feel guilty buying it!

Buy it if you like. I wouldn't try to rationalise the
purchase; that's just kidding yourself. You know it's
probably stolen and that less would be stolen if people
didn't buy stolen goods. Buy it honestly, along with feeling
the guilt in the same way that one should buy bacon while
keeping in mind that an animal died for it or petrol knowing
the atrocities that have been committed to bring it to you.
If you can't put up with the feeling of guilt, don't buy.
There you go... that didn't help, did it? :)

Frank

TKB wrote:

> in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight duo
> and battery, no charger, and no brackets to hold the
> light's.
>
> It's got to be stolen but it's only $50, anyone want to
> rationalise it to me in such a way that I don't feel
> guilty buying it!

You could make a better light for the same price.

one SLA battery, one Mr11/16 halgen downlight one old spoke
bent into holder (aka Moz's pages one bolt, washer and screw
touch of black paint on back of globe bit of figure 8 wire ~
2m. optional switch

and a matching SLA auto charger from jaycar (that over the
$50).

Originally posted by TKB
in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight
duo and battery, no charger, and no brackets to hold
the light's.

It's got to be stolen but it's only $50, anyone want to
rationalise it to me in such a way that I don't feel guilty
buying it!

Buy it, and leave notices up saying you did so. That way, if it is someone else's, they can get in contact and together you can nail cash converters to the wall for handling stolen goods (which seems to be the main way they derive profit). Otherwise someone else will buy it, and it will never be seen again by the true owner. Think about it... they have a better chance of recovering if you buy it, and they probably won't bother, in which case you get a cheap light. Everyone wins, buy it, don't beat yourself up.