ethical dilemma

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by -, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Guest

    in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight duo and battery, no
    charger, and no brackets to hold the light's.

    It's got to be stolen but it's only $50, anyone want to rationalise it to me
    in such a way that I don't feel guilty buying it!

    Tags:

  2. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    <TKB> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight duo and battery, no
    > charger, and no brackets to hold the light's.
    >
    > It's got to be stolen but it's only $50, anyone want to rationalise it to

    me
    > in such a way that I don't feel guilty buying it!

    Buy it if you like. I wouldn't try to rationalise the purchase; that's just
    kidding yourself. You know it's probably stolen and that less would be
    stolen if people didn't buy stolen goods.
    Buy it honestly, along with feeling the guilt in the same way that one
    should buy bacon while keeping in mind that an animal died for it or petrol
    knowing the atrocities that have been committed to bring it to you.
    If you can't put up with the feeling of guilt, don't buy.
    There you go... that didn't help, did it? :)

    Frank

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    TKB wrote:
    > in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight duo and battery,
    > no charger, and no brackets to hold the light's. It's got to be stolen
    > but it's only $50, anyone want to rationalise it to me in such a way
    > that I don't feel guilty buying it!

    How much money do you earn? How much night riding do you do? How much
    would you miss those lights if they were stolen off your own bike? With
    no bracket or charger - how are you gonna mount and charge them? Have
    you priced similar, new models?

    If you are on a good wage, don't be such a tightass (I can talk :p). If
    you need to night ride and you can't afford another system then buy
    them. I wouldn't knowingly buy stolen gear, because I'd hate to support
    that 'industry', but if you don't have the cash and you need it.. well..
    someone else is just gonna buy it anyway.

    That probably didn't help.. but I felt like a braindump. Oh, are you
    SURE it's stolen? The person selling might have just lost the rest of
    the kit? (How's that for justification..)

    hippy

    --

  4. TKB wrote:

    > in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight duo and battery, no
    > charger, and no brackets to hold the light's.
    >
    > It's got to be stolen but it's only $50, anyone want to rationalise it to me
    > in such a way that I don't feel guilty buying it!

    You could make a better light for the same price.

    one SLA battery,
    one Mr11/16 halgen downlight
    one old spoke bent into holder (aka Moz's pages
    one bolt, washer and screw
    touch of black paint on back of globe
    bit of figure 8 wire ~ 2m.
    optional switch

    and a matching SLA auto charger from jaycar (that over the $50).

  5. Roadie_scum

    Roadie_scum Guest

    TKB wrote:
    > in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight duo and battery,
    > no charger, and no brackets to hold the light's.
    > It's got to be stolen but it's only $50, anyone want to rationalise it
    > to me in such a way that I don't feel guilty buying it!

    Buy it, and leave notices up saying you did so. That way, if it is
    someone else's, they can get in contact and together you can nail cash
    converters to the wall for handling stolen goods (which seems to be the
    main way they derive profit). Otherwise someone else will buy it, and it
    will never be seen again by the true owner. Think about it... they have
    a better chance of recovering if you buy it, and they probably won't
    bother, in which case you get a cheap light. Everyone wins, buy it,
    don't beat yourself up.