Evox Semi-Recumbent Review

CCM_Evox

Sep 14, 2005

Semi-recumbent bicycles have grown in popularity lately and I researched a few different styles before settling on the Evox LE. There are several models of Evox bikes available from a manufacturer in Quebec, Canada. Each version of the Evox shares the semi-recumbent riding position with the seating position towards the rear of the bike and the pedals quite a bit forward of the seat. Additionally, the handlebar stem is very tall to bring the handle bars within grasp of the rider. The elongated frame completes the bike to give the rider a very comfortable riding position.

The basic model is Evox 140 and I have mixed opinions about this model. The frame is made of high tensile steel and components are entry level parts. Furthermore, the massive seat tube and the lengthy handlebar stem are also steel. This combination results in a heavy bike. Lastly, the small back rest is in a fixed position that may not be suited to some riders. In fact, some reviews have had negative comments about this feature. My first encounter with the Evox style was test riding the Evox 140 at my local bike shop. I was impressed right away with the comfortable ride. The back rest provided basic lower back support and gives the rider something to push against while pedalling. I was equally impressed with the $400 CAD price tag.

I was also made aware of several smaller Evox bikes made for kids and young adults. The Evox 100 is the very smallest one with a single speed coaster brake setup but the Evox design makes it look like a lot of fun for youngsters. The Evox 120 looks like a scaled down version of the 140 with fewer gears and smaller wheels. Both of these bikes share the fixed back rest feature for powerful pedal thrust. (http://www.evoxcycle.com/en/velos.asp)

While investigating the various models, I also learned that the same company markets the Evox design under the Mikado brand name. (http://www.mikadobicycles.com/en/randonnee_bikes.asp?id=4) The Mikado Quetzal models use the same frame style and geometry but they use higher quality components as well. The Mikado Quetzal versions also come with fenders and a carrier rack that I found to be essential. The Quetzal SE is the model with a steel frame but it has alloy seat tube and handle bar stem to reduce weight. The components are also of higher quality with a Shimano Altus derailleur set and high pressure tires (100PSI). I was impressed to find that the alloy seat tube also included a completely adjustable back rest. The back rest was also a bit bigger with more padding. This bike was still a bit heavy so I looked at the next model up called the Mikado Quetzal LE. There were several subtle differences with slightly better drive train components but the best feature was the 6061-T6 aluminium frame. This reduced the weight to just over 15 kg. This bike met my requirements nicely for $850 CAD so I ordered one from my local bike shop.

I waited for a couple of days and then with great anticipation, I went to pick up my new bike. I was shocked to find that the manufacturer in Quebec had shipped an Evox instead of the Mikado Quetzal that I had ordered. The first thing I noticed was the beautiful whale-grey finish that can also be described as smoky-blue. Right away, I could tell that this was no Evox 140. In fact, it was an Evox LE with exactly the same specs as the Quetzal LE complete with racks, fenders, and the aluminium frame and components. The black finish on the Alexrims gleamed while the bright alloy finish on the seat tube and handlebar stem sparkled on the showroom floor. This was a dream bike with a Shimano Deore derailleur system and Suntour triple crank set. After a thorough inspection of the components and the workmanship, I was convinced that the Evox was indeed on par (or better) than the Quetzal LE. Oddly enough, I have never seen another Evox LE or even a Quetzal LE since purchasing mine. There is a French language website at www.quetzal.ca where the Evox line-up is offered under the Azteca brand and they actually list the Evox LE but the picture and the specs are copied from the Quetzal LE.

Riding a semi-recumbent is very comfortable. I found the perfect position for the back rest and adjusted the handlebar height to the appropriate setting. At first, there seemed to be too many lower range gears but I soon found a hill that required a wide range of lower gears. The design of the frame spares the rider from needing to stand up on the pedals. In fact, I’m not sure this is possible at all. Instead, the rider’s back is braced against the back rest and the large thigh muscles allow the rider to thrust against the pedals with more power than is available from standing up on the pedals. This extra thrust also allows for rapid acceleration and sustained speeds on flat roads. During downhill bursts, I managed to attain speed in excess of 50 km/h. I use this bike to commute to work regularly and I average about 25-30 km/r for the 20 km ride each way. When riding in traffic, I feel safer because I am sitting upright and I can see in all directions without having to look under my armpit to see traffic approaching from the rear. Furthermore, the slightly lower seating position lowers my center of gravity for added stability and I can put both feet down firmly on the ground any time. As an extra bonus, it seems that every driver notices the Evox because of its unique appearance so the increased visibility prevents a lot of the ‘blind driver’ syndrome. One of the best experiences that I discovered is that the Evox is a conversation starter. People everywhere make positive comments when an Evox rides past them. Kids say “Hey man! Sick bike!” and that is supposed to be a compliment (believe it or not!). I have met other recumbent riders on bike, trikes and quads who share my enthusiasm for the Evox style and recumbent bikes in general.

Riding a semi-recumbent can feel like riding the old Mustang chopper from your youth combined with the performance of the fastest fully recumbent land speed machines. If you get a chance to give one a test ride, you will be pleasantly surprised. There are many variations of the Evox design suited to fit your age, pocketbook and riding needs. Some day I will reply to this post with a location for pictures of my Evox LE.

Thank you for the detailed and interesting review. I recently bought an Evox and I am generally happy with the purchase. I'm starting to get my 'bent legs (my other bike is a vintage Bianchi racing bike) and I am finding the Evox to be pretty quick considering the fact that it is 45 lbs. I may upgrade the gruppo at some point, but I am happy enough for now. It came with an Acera rear derailluer and the rest is Tourney. I wonder if they thought that a Tourney rear would be just a little flimsy for this bikle.

One complaint is that I don't find the stock seat to be terribly comfortable. :mad: I tried replacing it with a standard mountain bike seat, but that was worse. That put me too far forward and too low for comfort. So, I replaced the seat which came with the bike and looked at it long and hard....

...With a few strategic adjustments, I have been able to get it to the point where my backside doesn't seem to be aching to the same extent as it was. I am going to take it out for a hilly 20 km ride tonight and see how it feels.

Have you noticed any discomfort in the nether region? If so, how have you dealt with it? Are there any better seating arrangements you could mention?

Again, Thx for your post. :D

Charles

Thanks for your comments. The Evox LE comes with the same "Drifter" seat as the Evox 140 and I had to make some adjustments as well. I played with the seat post hardware and found that I could move the seat to a forward position by re-assembling all the "clams" with the bolt in the forward position and I also found that placing the seat rails below the bolt gave the same effect as raising the back rest. After one season, I replaced the seat with a cut-away seat from Velo called WebSpring Gel. Here is a link to a picture. Ask your local bike shop if they can order one in. (http://www1.yatego.com/images/42429e6f02a307.0/velo_o_zone_comfort_sattel.jpg)

Of course, I had to fiddle around with the mounting "clams" again to get it just right. I occasionally suffer from "numb butt" after about 40km. I just stop, stand up and drain my water bottle and then I am fine. I also replaced my Kenda tires with Schwable Marathon to get a bit more tread and kevlar belting in a high pressure tire with odd sizes. I am pleased with both upgrades. I have pedalled just over 3000km with the new setup.

Thanks for your reply.

CCM_Evox said:
I played with the seat post hardware and found that I could move the seat to a forward position by re-assembling all the "clams" with the bolt in the forward position and I also found that placing the seat rails below the bolt gave the same effect as raising the back rest.
Hi again,

I tried out what you suggested and turned the mounting clamp around. That made a big difference. I forgot about the rail placement and will do that before I go out again. I rode 20 km and suffered only mild discomfort, most of which was caused by the position of the seat back. I am going to get high compression tires.

Again, thx so much for the good advice.

Charles:)

Bentriderlon said:
Hi again,

I tried out what you suggested and turned the mounting clamp around. That made a big difference. I forgot about the rail placement and will do that before I go out again. I rode 20 km and suffered only mild discomfort, most of which was caused by the position of the seat back. I am going to get high compression tires.

Again, thx so much for the good advice.

Charles:)
The web site at (www.quetzal.ca) claims to sell the aluminium seat tube assembly that has a completely adjustable backrest with more padding. I don't know about their shipping service. They are in Montreal if you are close. If not, maybe your local bike store could also order you the part from the distributor. I got a replacement handlebar stem in two business days shipped (free) to Ottawa. I stripped the head off the stem bolt by over tightening.

CCM_Evox said:
The web site at (www.quetzal.ca) claims to sell the aluminium seat tube assembly that has a completely adjustable backrest with more padding. I don't know about their shipping service. They are in Montreal if you are close. If not, maybe your local bike store could also order you the part from the distributor. I got a replacement handlebar stem in two business days shipped (free) to Ottawa. I stripped the head off the stem bolt by over tightening.
Thx,

I'll look into it.

Charles

CCM_Evox said:
Semi-recumbent bicycles have grown in popularity lately and I researched a few different styles before settling on the Evox LE. There are several models of Evox bikes available from a manufacturer in Quebec, Canada. Each version of the Evox shares the semi-recumbent riding position with the seating position towards the rear of the bike and the pedals quite a bit forward of the seat. Additionally, the handlebar stem is very tall to bring the handle bars within grasp of the rider. The elongated frame completes the bike to give the rider a very comfortable riding position.

The basic model is Evox 140 and I have mixed opinions about this model. The frame is made of high tensile steel and components are entry level parts. Furthermore, the massive seat tube and the lengthy handlebar stem are also steel. This combination results in a heavy bike. Lastly, the small back rest is in a fixed position that may not be suited to some riders. In fact, some reviews have had negative comments about this feature. My first encounter with the Evox style was test riding the Evox 140 at my local bike shop. I was impressed right away with the comfortable ride. The back rest provided basic lower back support and gives the rider something to push against while pedalling. I was equally impressed with the $400 CAD price tag.

I was also made aware of several smaller Evox bikes made for kids and young adults. The Evox 100 is the very smallest one with a single speed coaster brake setup but the Evox design makes it look like a lot of fun for youngsters. The Evox 120 looks like a scaled down version of the 140 with fewer gears and smaller wheels. Both of these bikes share the fixed back rest feature for powerful pedal thrust. (http://www.evoxcycle.com/en/velos.asp)

While investigating the various models, I also learned that the same company markets the Evox design under the Mikado brand name. (http://www.mikadobicycles.com/en/randonnee_bikes.asp?id=4) The Mikado Quetzal models use the same frame style and geometry but they use higher quality components as well. The Mikado Quetzal versions also come with fenders and a carrier rack that I found to be essential. The Quetzal SE is the model with a steel frame but it has alloy seat tube and handle bar stem to reduce weight. The components are also of higher quality with a Shimano Altus derailleur set and high pressure tires (100PSI). I was impressed to find that the alloy seat tube also included a completely adjustable back rest. The back rest was also a bit bigger with more padding. This bike was still a bit heavy so I looked at the next model up called the Mikado Quetzal LE. There were several subtle differences with slightly better drive train components but the best feature was the 6061-T6 aluminium frame. This reduced the weight to just over 15 kg. This bike met my requirements nicely for $850 CAD so I ordered one from my local bike shop.

I waited for a couple of days and then with great anticipation, I went to pick up my new bike. I was shocked to find that the manufacturer in Quebec had shipped an Evox instead of the Mikado Quetzal that I had ordered. The first thing I noticed was the beautiful whale-grey finish that can also be described as smoky-blue. Right away, I could tell that this was no Evox 140. In fact, it was an Evox LE with exactly the same specs as the Quetzal LE complete with racks, fenders, and the aluminium frame and components. The black finish on the Alexrims gleamed while the bright alloy finish on the seat tube and handlebar stem sparkled on the showroom floor. This was a dream bike with a Shimano Deore derailleur system and Suntour triple crank set. After a thorough inspection of the components and the workmanship, I was convinced that the Evox was indeed on par (or better) than the Quetzal LE. Oddly enough, I have never seen another Evox LE or even a Quetzal LE since purchasing mine. There is a French language website at www.quetzal.ca where the Evox line-up is offered under the Azteca brand and they actually list the Evox LE but the picture and the specs are copied from the Quetzal LE.

Riding a semi-recumbent is very comfortable. I found the perfect position for the back rest and adjusted the handlebar height to the appropriate setting. At first, there seemed to be too many lower range gears but I soon found a hill that required a wide range of lower gears. The design of the frame spares the rider from needing to stand up on the pedals. In fact, I’m not sure this is possible at all. Instead, the rider’s back is braced against the back rest and the large thigh muscles allow the rider to thrust against the pedals with more power than is available from standing up on the pedals. This extra thrust also allows for rapid acceleration and sustained speeds on flat roads. During downhill bursts, I managed to attain speed in excess of 50 km/h. I use this bike to commute to work regularly and I average about 25-30 km/r for the 20 km ride each way. When riding in traffic, I feel safer because I am sitting upright and I can see in all directions without having to look under my armpit to see traffic approaching from the rear. Furthermore, the slightly lower seating position lowers my center of gravity for added stability and I can put both feet down firmly on the ground any time. As an extra bonus, it seems that every driver notices the Evox because of its unique appearance so the increased visibility prevents a lot of the ‘blind driver’ syndrome. One of the best experiences that I discovered is that the Evox is a conversation starter. People everywhere make positive comments when an Evox rides past them. Kids say “Hey man! Sick bike!” and that is supposed to be a compliment (believe it or not!). I have met other recumbent riders on bike, trikes and quads who share my enthusiasm for the Evox style and recumbent bikes in general.

Riding a semi-recumbent can feel like riding the old Mustang chopper from your youth combined with the performance of the fastest fully recumbent land speed machines. If you get a chance to give one a test ride, you will be pleasantly surprised. There are many variations of the Evox design suited to fit your age, pocketbook and riding needs. Some day I will reply to this post with a location for pictures of my Evox LE.
In my view, you're still better off getting a real recumbent in order to enjoy the full ergonomic benefits that only full recumbency will offer that a semi-recumbent cannot: recumbents offer full back support and this will allow better pedalling efficiency. There are several compact-long-wheel-base 'bents that are probably with-in the general price point of the Quetzal LE or the Evox bikes. I'm a German-born American living near Seattle, so I am not familiar with the currency exchange rate in Canada (I really love Vancouver, British Columbia: I could even see myself living there!!), but I ride a 2004 Cycle Genius STX Sport CLWB 'bent that I bought for just $500.00 U.S.! I can tell you, as a former owner of a much more expensive Vision R-44 SWB 'bent, my current CG STX is one *****in sweet ride, so much so that it's a keeper for me, and I have had it for eleven months now and regularly use it as both a commuter and all-day tourer! In any event, happy riding to you and yours!

re_biker@yahoo. said:
In my view, you're still better off getting a real recumbent in order to enjoy the full ergonomic benefits that only full recumbency will offer that a semi-recumbent cannot: recumbents offer full back support and this will allow better pedalling efficiency. There are several compact-long-wheel-base 'bents that are probably with-in the general price point of the Quetzal LE or the Evox bikes. I'm a German-born American living near Seattle, so I am not familiar with the currency exchange rate in Canada (I really love Vancouver, British Columbia: I could even see myself living there!!), but I ride a 2004 Cycle Genius STX Sport CLWB 'bent that I bought for just $500.00 U.S.! I can tell you, as a former owner of a much more expensive Vision R-44 SWB 'bent, my current CG STX is one *****in sweet ride, so much so that it's a keeper for me, and I have had it for eleven months now and regularly use it as both a commuter and all-day tourer! In any event, happy riding to you and yours!
Your point is well made, but it is not necessarily the case that one bike precludes the other. Now that I have resolved the seating issue and I have started to find my legs on this bike, I am beginning to really enjoy riding it. Would I enjoy a "full bent" more? Perhaps I would, perhaps I would not. I have no way of knowing at this time as I have no direct experience of the other.

I am an old roady turned mountain biker, turned roady again, turned bent rider. Have I given up my precious Bianchi road bike now that I have an Evox? Not at all. I enjoy both. Should I buy a full bent, it will not replace a bike, but will add to the stable. I'll have yet another bike to have fun riding.

I think one of the worst things about the Evox is its uninspiring name. What's an Evox anyway? Is this some sort of made up name? I like the Quetzal name much better. The South American Resplendant Quetzel is a most beautiful bird - and - it is on the endangered list.:( I have changed my avatar on this list to a photo of a mother Quetzal and her chick in honour of this delightful species. The name on the tube might be Evox, but the bike is a Quetzal to me.

I went out today and purchased a lighting system for the bike and for my spouse's mountain bike. With the days growing shorter, we will be running short of light soon enough. The Blackburn lights front and rear meet the requirement for safe cycling after the sun goes down. Now, all we need are "woollys!" :)

Cheers

Charles

Bentriderlon said:
Your point is well made, but it is not necessarily the case that one bike precludes the other. Now that I have resolved the seating issue and I have started to find my legs on this bike, I am beginning to really enjoy riding it. Would I enjoy a "full bent" more? Perhaps I would, perhaps I would not. I have no way of knowing at this time as I have no direct experience of the other.

I am an old roady turned mountain biker, turned roady again, turned bent rider. Have I given up my precious Bianchi road bike now that I have an Evox? Not at all. I enjoy both. Should I buy a full bent, it will not replace a bike, but will add to the stable. I'll have yet another bike to have fun riding.

I think one of the worst things about the Evox is its uninspiring name. What's an Evox anyway? Is this some sort of made up name? I like the Quetzal name much better. The South American Resplendant Quetzel is a most beautiful bird - and - it is on the endangered list.:( I have changed my avatar on this list to a photo of a mother Quetzal and her chick in honour of this delightful species. The name on the tube might be Evox, but the bike is a Quetzal to me.

I went out today and purchased a lighting system for the bike and for my spouse's mountain bike. With the days growing shorter, we will be running short of light soon enough. The Blackburn lights front and rear meet the requirement for safe cycling after the sun goes down. Now, all we need are "woollys!" :)

Cheers

Charles
Hmm, very interesting! In my case, I've owned several mountain bikes, but have never ridden a drop handlebar 700c wheeled road bike. I've just been hired at a local bike shop and I start Tuesday as an assembly guy; I've experience building my own rides as a never ending upgrading this component or that and doing the installation and adjusting work myself!;) The bottom line is I love bikes of all stripes; in my mind bicycles are the greatest invention in the history of English civilization!:D It was, after all, a couple of bicycle guys who wound up inventing the airplane! The Evox bikes appear to be well made and certainly is an attention getter as I can attest to when riding my CG STX: I've even had people bursting out in laughter just as they've spotted my strange two-wheeler! I know the days will get lots shorter here in the Pacific Northwest, which will take me a little getting used to after having lived a spell in New Orleans! So, stay warm, safe, and much happy riding!:)

I'm reading about how much you all love your recumbent cycles and I'm getting hyped up to go test ride everything on the market.:cool:

thanks for the inspiration, I'm not sure about the recumbent verses semi-recumbent disagreements, how much does riding terrain affect the decision in this area? In Michigan where I live we have a lot of hills, how would that affect my decision?

joelguy said:
I'm reading about how much you all love your recumbent cycles and I'm getting hyped up to go test ride everything on the market.:cool:

thanks for the inspiration, I'm not sure about the recumbent verses semi-recumbent disagreements, how much does riding terrain affect the decision in this area? In Michigan where I live we have a lot of hills, how would that affect my decision?
In my personal opinion, all recumbents are going to be a bit more of a challenge on hills. You can't stand up and honk, but on the other hand, bents usually have a wider gearing, and spinning on hills will get you there.

I think that the argument is relative anyway. With adequate physical conditioning, hills will present much less of an issue. I have about 200 km on my Evox and I am climbing quickly. Not as quickly as on my Bianchi, but quick enough. I expect as I continue to develop my musculature I'll be going up even faster. Downhills are a scream. I go much faster on my bent for equivalent effort than on my road bike. I think that the semi-recumbent/real-recumbent argument is a rather hollow one, and is mostly based on personal preference. I would advise trying out all sorts of bents and buying the one you like best and can afford.

I was out on my Evox in a light rain this evening. It was a very pleasant cruise. The rain was cooling and the bike ran well. When it started to get dark, I switched on my Blackburn lighting system and rode home feeling safe and secure. In the garage, the smooth curves of the bike were easy to wipe down.

Good night.

Charles

thanks for the further encouragement!!!

I'm not necessarily concerned about being the first one up a hill, (although I do like that) climbing a hill with confidence and comfort of ride does appeal to me. If I'm enjoying myself, chances are that I will ride longer and farther with a smile.:)
I will be getting myself on a semi-bent real soon for a try, I use a recumbent lifecycle at my gym on a regular basis and love it (it's been wonderful for keeping my knees feeling great) I've had some knee trouble the last couple of years and this workout has been amazing!

In the disscussion about semi-bent vs. totally bent, I would like to add a few observations. First, in regards to hills, my first 500km on my Evox proved to me that uphill travel required more effort than I expected, but I subsequently found that gearing down and spinning is the fastest way up the hill with the least amount of energy. Furthermore, the seat on my Evox has a wonderful little backrest that allows me to brace myself against it for the heavy pedalling on very steep hills. I am not the fastest rider on the road but I can crest the top of my daily hill at 30km/h now but when I first rode the Evox, I was down to 10km/h on that hill. Secondly, I would like to comment on the geometry issue with semi-bents. On a diamond frame bike, the seat to pedal angle is nearly perpendicular, and on most recumbents, the seat to pedal angle is horizontal. When climbing a steep hill on a recumbent, it feels like my feet are above my hips. In this position, gravity is actually pushing against my legs as I try to push those pedals upward. On a semi-bent, the seat to pedals angle is closer to 45 degrees so I never feel as though my feet are uphill from me. So while I will agree that hills may be tougher on a recumbent bike, the effect is not as noticeable on a semi-bent like the Evox. Lastly, I would like to point out that semi-bents are much easier to get started. After riding a fully bent for an afternoon, I can honestly say that they are a bit harder to ride, especially when starting at an uphill light. Within an hour or two, I managed to be quite good at getting going, and I loved the feel of the ride, but the learning curve on a semi-bent is hardly noticeable. In fact when people ask me about my ride, I tell them that it is just like riding a bike! The recumbent that I tried was a Quetzal Parisio with a long wheelbase and under the seat steering. I suspect that I will one day buy this bike but I would never sell my Evox. The Evox sits higher on the road for visibility and it is a lot easier to see what is going on in traffic than the fully bent bike, but the ride and the comfort of the fully bent machine left a lasting impression on me.

CCM_Evox said:
I suspect that I will one day buy this bike but I would never sell my Evox. The Evox sits higher on the road for visibility and it is a lot easier to see what is going on in traffic than the fully bent bike, but the ride and the comfort of the fully bent machine left a lasting impression on me.

I would concur entirely with your comments and I find I am getting faster on the Evox every day. I consider it to be a keeper, but not the last bike I buy. My next purchase will likely be a Catrike Road. These recumbent trikes are too cool. :)

Charles

I also like the fact that with my back seat, seat back down, I can put the Evox totally inside my Cavalier. No need for a rack!:)

Cheers

My $0.02 is that if you're thinking of a recumbent, don't get something with a saddle! If you do, you've missed the whole point! From what I've seen, semi-bents are designed to be ridden 100 miles or less per year. They just aren't enthusiast-level machines. What they're good for is putzing around the trailer park with the grandkids or riding alongside the spouse on a jog. But then a cheap mountain bike could do the same thing.

The CCM lineup is barely above department store level. That bothers me to say, because my first serious road bike was a CCM; it had 531 tubing, tubular tires, and some nice componentry for its day. It's sad to see how low CCM has sunk. My opinion of the Quetzal (a hand-me-down design formerly known as the Peugeot C105, IIRC) isn't fit for print. But as uncomfortable and ugly as it is, at least it is a real recumbent.

If you are interested in getting a recumbent, then get a recumbent. If not, then stick with your upright.

joelguy - where in Michigan are you? I'm in the Lansing area.

blazingpedals said:
My $0.02 is that if you're thinking of a recumbent, don't get something with a saddle! If you do, you've missed the whole point! From what I've seen, semi-bents are designed to be ridden 100 miles or less per year. They just aren't enthusiast-level machines. What they're good for is putzing around the trailer park with the grandkids or riding alongside the spouse on a jog. But then a cheap mountain bike could do the same thing.

The CCM lineup is barely above department store level. That bothers me to say, because my first serious road bike was a CCM; it had 531 tubing, tubular tires, and some nice componentry for its day. It's sad to see how low CCM has sunk. My opinion of the Quetzal (a hand-me-down design formerly known as the Peugeot C105, IIRC) isn't fit for print. But as uncomfortable and ugly as it is, at least it is a real recumbent.

If you are interested in getting a recumbent, then get a recumbent. If not, then stick with your upright.

joelguy - where in Michigan are you? I'm in the Lansing area.

Well, this is certainly a prejudicial rant and one not really worth replying to. Rather than encouraging this sort of bike or dissing out that sort of bike, I'll repeat what I said before. Get out on lots of bikes and buy the one you like best and which is within your budget.

I wonder why Blazingpedals feels it to be so necessary to insult other rider's choices? BTW, I routinely ride my Evox 25 to 40 km at a time and have an absolute riot doing so.

Cheers

Charles

Well said Bentriderlon! I'm sure that blazingpedals opinion is barely worth the 2 cents he claims. There are some issues with his post that need to be clarified. He warns people not to get a recumbent with a saddle but the famous Rans seat is a combination of a wide foam covered saddle with a full length back rest buckled to the back of the saddle. The Rans back rest is supported by rods that attach to the rear axle. I concede that the Evox back rest is not full length but it is effective nonetheless. The stock saddle on the Evox is a Drifter and it is 10 or 11 inches across so it is not a racing saddle by any means.

blazingpedals continues to prove his ignorance of the bike in question by claiming that he can only ride 100 miles or less in a year. Maybe I shouldn't poke fun of his disabilities. After all, many grandfathers would be glad to be able to chase his wife around the trailer park while she jogs ahead of him. Obviously, blazingpedals has never seen the higher end of the CCM Evox line or he would know that the components are well above the standard fare at Kmart. CCM is also offering a mid range class of the Evox that does have mid range components and if this is all he can afford, the Evox 140 is the best recumbent in his budget. When he boasts about his first CCM, he should be reminded that the mid range components available in the Evox 140 are superior in design and materials to the ancient parts he claims. Besides that, tubular tires would never stand up to the day to day use of an Evox for commuting. CCM has changed ownership since those days and they do offer a wide range of quality to fit everyone's budget. As a matter of fact, they always did.

The Quetzal LE that I referenced in my orginal post is exactly the same bike as the Evox LE. It is not a fully recumbent like blazingpedals insists. If he had taken the time to actually go to the links posted in my original review, he would not seem so misinformed. Finally, can you imagine if someone said " If you are interested in getting a pickup truck, then get a pickup truck. If not, then stick with your car!" There would be no SUV's! Maybe we should have listened!

CCM_Evox said:
Well said Bentriderlon! I'm sure that blazingpedals opinion is barely worth the 2 cents he claims. There are some issues with his post that need to be clarified. He warns people not to get a recumbent with a saddle but the famous Rans seat is a combination of a wide foam covered saddle with a full length back rest buckled to the back of the saddle. The Rans back rest is supported by rods that attach to the rear axle. I concede that the Evox back rest is not full length but it is effective nonetheless. The stock saddle on the Evox is a Drifter and it is 10 or 11 inches across so it is not a racing saddle by any means.

blazingpedals continues to prove his ignorance of the bike in question by claiming that he can only ride 100 miles or less in a year. Maybe I shouldn't poke fun of his disabilities. After all, many grandfathers would be glad to be able to chase his wife around the trailer park while she jogs ahead of him. Obviously, blazingpedals has never seen the higher end of the CCM Evox line or he would know that the components are well above the standard fare at Kmart. CCM is also offering a mid range class of the Evox that does have mid range components and if this is all he can afford, the Evox 140 is the best recumbent in his budget. When he boasts about his first CCM, he should be reminded that the mid range components available in the Evox 140 are superior in design and materials to the ancient parts he claims. Besides that, tubular tires would never stand up to the day to day use of an Evox for commuting. CCM has changed ownership since those days and they do offer a wide range of quality to fit everyone's budget. As a matter of fact, they always did.

The Quetzal LE that I referenced in my orginal post is exactly the same bike as the Evox LE. It is not a fully recumbent like blazingpedals insists. If he had taken the time to actually go to the links posted in my original review, he would not seem so misinformed. Finally, can you imagine if someone said " If you are interested in getting a pickup truck, then get a pickup truck. If not, then stick with your car!" There would be no SUV's! Maybe we should have listened!
I am not dissatified with the quality of the components on my Evox. They do the job and get me around. I'd like a higher quality gruppo and will probably upgrade when my budget allows. For now, all I really want is a rack to match the bike. I have a Blackburn "knock-off" on there now and, while it works it rides high and does not complement the curved lines of the bike. I see that Evox makes a rack and markets it for an astounding $40.00! I'll be ordering one this week or next.

I turned the seat mount around as you suggested and set the parls above the seat rails. What a difference! The pain is gone and I can ride as far as I like. Thx for the tip. Blazingpedals advice was to sell it before it lost its resale value, which I see as totally unnecessary. I guess that was the same bias talking.

Gud riding!

Charles :D

Bentriderlon,

Please inspect your frame for the appropriate mounting points for the rack from www.quetzal.ca because this rack requires two brazed-on mounting points on each side of the tubing that runs down to the back wheel. A friend of mine has an Evox 140 and the frame is not equipped with the same mounting points. There is a picture of the Mikado Quetzal LE (same bike as Evox LE) here.

http://www.mikadobicycles.com/images/Mikado_HR/C224782.jpg

It will show where the rack mount points are located just above and just below the brake posts. I hope you can make it work.

I posted some pics of my bike here.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b201/CCM_Evox/?action=view&current=bike3.jpg