Evox Semi-Recumbent Review

Bentriderlon said:
Well, this is certainly a prejudicial rant and one not really worth replying to. Rather than encouraging this sort of bike or dissing out that sort of bike, I'll repeat what I said before. Get out on lots of bikes and buy the one you like best and which is within your budget.

I wonder why Blazingpedals feels it to be so necessary to insult other rider's choices? BTW, I routinely ride my Evox 25 to 40 km at a time and have an absolute riot doing so.

Cheers

Charles
The whole point is very simple: when all things are considered, the bike you are riding is the bike you want to ride continuously because it simply feels right and you are happy with its feel on the road and its overall performance that you in the end find perfectly acceptable!:) Whether the bike is recumbent or semi-recumbent is essentially irrelavent, for if you find satisfaction with your Evox or I with my CG STX, where is the logic of nit-picking the experiences of other wonderful people: I stand corrected on a previous post where-in I suggested that the Evox was ergonomically inferior to recumbents such as mine! I've seen the photos of the Evox, and I really can't find any fault with it; at least I've seen evidence that some riders find this bike to be a satisfactory performer, and that is all that really matters, because people are going to ride bikes that they really like as opposed to riding bikes that cause you pain and dissatisfaction! My ultra-expensive Litespeed of five years ago caused me some dissatisfaction. My CG STX has not after one year of riding it, so, there you are!!:)

I'm back again. I have made some changes to my Evox that result in what is rapidly becoming a fine bent. I replaced the stock saddle with a bigger seat. This has upped the comfort level enormously. I also removed a Shimano 200 GS crankset from an old mountain bike no one uses. (I have really canibalized this bike - it is pretty much frame bar and wheels at this point.) Mounted on the Evox, this uses Biopace rings and is a better colour match to the frame. With the new crankset, the chain line was shifted out slightly, and the chain was tapping the chainguard when under power. Off came the chainguard! I figured it only to be ornamental anyway and now there is no annoying tapping racket. I think the bike actually looks better with it off. You can better see the line of the tubes.

I've attached a few pics.

Cheers

Bentriderlon said:
I'm back again. I have made some changes to my Evox that result in what is rapidly becoming a fine bent. I replaced the stock saddle with a bigger seat. This has upped the comfort level enormously. I also removed a Shimano 200 GS crankset from an old mountain bike no one uses. (I have really canibalized this bike - it is pretty much frame bar and wheels at this point.) Mounted on the Evox, this uses Biopace rings and is a better colour match to the frame. With the new crankset, the chain line was shifted out slightly, and the chain was tapping the chainguard when under power. Off came the chainguard! I figured it only to be ornamental anyway and now there is no annoying tapping racket. I think the bike actually looks better with it off. You can better see the line of the tubes.

I've attached a few pics.

Cheers
Your Evox looks really cool: good job!!;) Speaking of alterations, on my CG STX, I've added a set of fenders and switched to a new hamster handlebar with a whopping 4-inch rise! This results in my arms completely down to my sides and keeps me way laid back on my seat; the comfort level has gone from excellent to even better!! Much happy riding to you!:)

re_biker@yahoo. said:
Your Evox looks really cool: good job!!;) Speaking of alterations, on my CG STX, I've added a set of fenders and switched to a new hamster handlebar with a whopping 4-inch rise! This results in my arms completely down to my sides and keeps me way laid back on my seat; the comfort level has gone from excellent to even better!! Much happy riding to you!:)
Thx for the complement. I have increased the sizes of the posted photos so the viewer can get a better look. (And yes, the chainrings need a cleaning!):D Love to see your bike. Do you have a picture you could post?

...charles

Bentriderlon said:
Thx for the complement. I have increased the sizes of the posted photos so the viewer can get a better look. (And yes, the chainrings need a cleaning!):D Love to see your bike. Do you have a picture you could post?

...charles
Will post pics as soon as my brother shows me how, as I continually go online on his computer!;) Meanwhile, yesterday at work, I built a Sun EZ-3 delta trike that now sits on our showroom floor awaiting for anyone to purchase! IMHO, anyone interested in a recumbent trike should opt for the tadpole style for better if not safer handling. I also got a chance to ride a Dura ace equipped Cannondale Synapse carbon composite road bike as the C'dale reps were visiting our shop. This bike weighs just 16 pounds and retails for just over four grand, but even though this beautiful bike screams SPEED, my more than twice as heavy CLWB CG STX is vastly more comfortable to ride!:D

Does anyone know of a shock fork that will fit an Evox 140. I am interested in off-road riding and a shock would help the front wheel to remain on the ground.

Thx

Charles

Bentriderlon said:
Does anyone know of a shock fork that will fit an Evox 140. I am interested in off-road riding and a shock would help the front wheel to remain on the ground.

Thx

Charles
Check out a google search for Meks Recumbent Suspension Fork and you will see a few links for the Meks Carbon Forks in the 20 inch size you need. They are a bit pricey but they are made for the job. There are even a few Meks forks available on Ebay.

CCM_Evox said:
Check out a google search for Meks Recumbent Suspension Fork and you will see a few links for the Meks Carbon Forks in the 20 inch size you need. They are a bit pricey but they are made for the job. There are even a few Meks forks available on Ebay.

Thanks for the tip. I have since written to the company and they tell me a suspension fork would not be very effective as the bike has a 15 degree rake. I'll probably just ride it on the trails and see how it works out. Come on spring!!

Charles

:) Generally speaking I am fairly happy with my Evox 140. I used it to get back into biking after having hip replacement surgery. However the seat and the back rest are just terrible which causes the most fatigue. Has anybody found any alternative seats and how do you get rid of that horrible "lumbar support" piece

I haven't seen any seats that would work. I have been thinking about fabricating a proper seat back, but I have limited time for such projects. The back wouldn't be a problem, but attaching it would take some thought. The existing back would have to be sawed off.

Cheers

Charles

sageman said:
:) Generally speaking I am fairly happy with my Evox 140. I used it to get back into biking after having hip replacement surgery. However the seat and the back rest are just terrible which causes the most fatigue. Has anybody found any alternative seats and how do you get rid of that horrible "lumbar support" piece

Bentriderlon said:
I haven't seen any seats that would work. I have been thinking about fabricating a proper seat back, but I have limited time for such projects. The back wouldn't be a problem, but attaching it would take some thought. The existing back would have to be sawed off.

Cheers

Charles
Get the alloy seat tube from http://www.quetzal.ca/vente.htm at the bottom of the page. You'll appreciate the difference immediately. The backrest is larger and fully adjustable. I also switched to a wider gel seat with a cutaway center-channel from Velo WebSpring.

joelguy said:
I'm reading about how much you all love your recumbent cycles and I'm getting hyped up to go test ride everything on the market.:cool:

thanks for the inspiration, I'm not sure about the recumbent verses semi-recumbent disagreements, how much does riding terrain affect the decision in this area? In Michigan where I live we have a lot of hills, how would that affect my decision?
First, good decision on "ride them all"! One of the great things about the recumbent market is there is so much individual treatment of the basic idea. We had a ball with bent shopping, driving over 1,000 miles over several weekends.

Rode a number of brands in LWB, SWB and CLWB. Bacchetta for us, obviously others think differently.

On the climbing issue, there exists a video of a guy on a Lightening passing a bunch of DF's on a fairly nasty looking hill. Having a little over 300 miles on my Strada now I can state with some degree of accuracy that the engine, not the bike, is the major issue.

Sure, if you get some 50 lb touring LWB with full suspension you are going to be paying a penalty on the hills for all that comfort. There are alternatives if you want quick and hill climbing ability. I can raise my seat back and approximate the angles of the Lightning and really do some climbing, until my 53 year old abused cardio system stops my legs. All that is changing for the better so I am not intimidated by hills like I was at first. It's conditioning, which was a major reason for getting back into bicycles in the first place.

Put an older guy who does not have any desire to compete with a bunch of 25 year olds on hill climbing and you are likely to see some impressive spinning which requires good cardio, although he may not be burning up the inclines speedwise, watch out for the distance he will eat up in a day.

Put a Cat 1 rider on almost anything and those Cat 1 legs are going to be leaving most anyone in their wake.

Bents are great. Hope to hear your story on your new bent sometime.

CCM_Evox said:
blazingpedals continues to prove his ignorance of the bike in question by claiming that he can only ride 100 miles or less in a year. Maybe I shouldn't poke fun of his disabilities.
I'll refrain from ridiculing your reading abilities if you can show where I claimed to be incapable of riding more than 100 miles per year.

blazingpedals said:
I'll refrain from ridiculing your reading abilities if you can show where I claimed to be incapable of riding more than 100 miles per year.
I assumed that you were speaking from your experience about riding an Evox LE when you stated that it couldn't be ridden for more than 100 miles per year but I see now that you have no experience in riding a machine of thi s caliber. The Evox LE is a fine bike with Shimano Deore components and I find it quite comfortable and since I actually own and ride my Evox LE daily, I found your uninformed opinions ignorant. Take a look at the links in my original post and try to put together a better opinion before you dish out more garbage.

Hi, was just following this thread with some interest since I have owned an Evox 140 for a few years now and have totally enjoyed it from the get-go. I am still getting the "cool bike" from all kinds of people whenever I cruise around. I was reading about the Evox LE etc and have went to the evoxcycle.com site but it has never changed from a few years ago and has only basic info about the basic line with no mention of any mid range line etc. I have always been a bit disappointed by the fact that they neglected their website (it doesn't even have an email link to contact them) I am curious as to how people got/get the information on the other lines of Evox as well as parts and accessories. The bike shops here in Oshawa, Ontario are little help, one fellow was telling me that CCM has dropped the Evox line from lack of sales. My model has no idler wheel to take up the slack of the long chain, and I would very much like to be able to get one and attach it. I have attached a carrier and saddle bags to mine which works fine but I may be playing around with a new design of my own soon.

Now if only the Evox could incorporate a shock absorber of some kind to take it from a "hard tail to a soft-tail" that would be totally sweet!

I tested a Burley Spider and was very tempted, but the price tag kinda made me cringe, not to mention my loyalty to the Evox, she has been a comfy gal to ride around!

Black_Blade said:
Hi, was just following this thread with some interest since I have owned an Evox 140 for a few years now and have totally enjoyed it from the get-go. I am still getting the "cool bike" from all kinds of people whenever I cruise around. I was reading about the Evox LE etc and have went to the evoxcycle.com site but it has never changed from a few years ago and has only basic info about the basic line with no mention of any mid range line etc. I have always been a bit disappointed by the fact that they neglected their website (it doesn't even have an email link to contact them) I am curious as to how people got/get the information on the other lines of Evox as well as parts and accessories. The bike shops here in Oshawa, Ontario are little help, one fellow was telling me that CCM has dropped the Evox line from lack of sales. My model has no idler wheel to take up the slack of the long chain, and I would very much like to be able to get one and attach it. I have attached a carrier and saddle bags to mine which works fine but I may be playing around with a new design of my own soon.

Now if only the Evox could incorporate a shock absorber of some kind to take it from a "hard tail to a soft-tail" that would be totally sweet!

I tested a Burley Spider and was very tempted, but the price tag kinda made me cringe, not to mention my loyalty to the Evox, she has been a comfy gal to ride around!
"Dumped" the EVOX was what I heard! Sam's Club $170.00, I heard. We all lost big on that one. I won't even try to sell it under these circumstances. As for CCM, NEVER, NEVER, EVER AGAIN!!! :(

Charles

So, if you wish to have an Evox or get parts, you need to contact Mikado? Only other issue with the Evox 140 is its a bit heavy...but since my kids are pressuring me into getting another bike, so one can inherit the Evox..the Quetzal LE would be the way to go

I have heard the rumours about the Evox line being discontinued or rebranded. There is a site in Montreal that claims to sell the Evox line at http://www.quetzal.ca/vente.htm and at the bottom of the page, they sell some upgrade parts for the Evox lineup. They even have an Evox seat now. One day while adjusting my handlebar stem, I broke the stem bolt by over tightening. It was purely my own fault but my local bike store contacted Procycle (Evox's parent company) and they sent me a whole new stem assembly by courier within 48 hours. There was no cost to me and I was impressed with their response. As I have mentioned before, I replaced the 'Drifter' seat with a wider, more springy seat from WebSpring and the adjustable back support is a nice feature. I am currently running Schwalbe Marathon tires front and rear and I am happy with the kevlar belting. I took a piece of glass the size of a fingernail out of the tread and the tire still holds 100 PSI no problem. I am looking for a replacement chain idler pulley for my Evox LE because the one that comes with it does not have a sealed bearing so constant lubrication is required. Someday I might replace the chainwheels and cranks to get some higher gears. Please post any other upgrades or modifications that you find available.

Mine weighs 45 lbs. I find that it is relatively easy to ride in spite of that. Don't get me wrong, I like the bike and it will remain part of my stable. I currently have a vintage Bianchi Celest and a brand new Giant Iguana which just sings on the local single track trails. My main concern is the drop in dollar value suffered as a result of the vendor dumping the brand. As for spares, I don't know if the Evox website still markets parts. It's probably worth a try. :rolleyes:

Charles

Bentriderlon said:
"Dumped" the EVOX was what I heard! Sam's Club $170.00, I heard. We all lost big on that one. I won't even try to sell it under these circumstances. As for CCM, NEVER, NEVER, EVER AGAIN!!! :(

Charles