Feeling sick on long rides

"davek" <[email protected]>typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> > You have 1.5 bottlesfull on your bike

> That would be unlikely as I only have one bottle holder! (I use a 2L
> Camelbak on longer rides)

I couldn't tolerate *anything* on my back, not even a brevet card in a
plastic pouch!

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> I couldn't tolerate *anything* on my back, not even a brevet card in a
> plastic pouch!

It's not ideal, I must confess - that's why I use it only if I think I
am unlikely to be able to refill my bottle often enough...

I generally prefer to carry only one bottle anyway for weight reasons -
especially if it's a hilly ride (probably a psychological thing - I'm
sure it's insignificant in the overall scheme of things, taking my own
weight into account, though 2L of water - weighing 2kg, if what they
taught me at school is correct - sounds plenty enough).

d.

In article <[email protected]>,
davek ([email protected]) wrote:
> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> > Think about refilling bottles when the last is half full.

> After being caught out on a couple of rides, thinking "I've got enough
> to last me to the next control", I now refill at /every/ opportunity...

People point and laugh when they see the four large bottles I carry on
the trike. In return, I point and laugh when I see them making an
unscheduled stop at a petrol station :)

I am Wan, for I am pursued by the Army of Plums.

Dave Larrington <[email protected]>typed

> People point and laugh when they see the four large bottles I carry on
> the trike. In return, I point and laugh when I see them making an
> unscheduled stop at a petrol station :)

I quite like those unscheduled stops. The odd Solero or some other
relatively unusual refreshment can refresh the flagging randonneur
rather better than _another_ plate of beans on toast.[1]

[1] Beans on toast are probably one of the best randonneur snacks out,
being cheap and combining protein, carbohydrate (short and long chain),
fat and salt in sensible proportions. All very fine but I can get FED UP
of them...
.... though they do 'encourage' you to get your butt off the saddle,
preventing soreness.

--

Dave Larrington wrote:
> People point and laugh when they see the four large bottles I carry on
> the trike.

Not me - I only point and laugh at you when going uphill (safe in the
knowledge that you will be going too fast for me to notice you pointing
and laugh at me when coming down the other side).

I must say, though, I thought they looked like /small/ bottles that you
carried, and assumed you carried four small ones because you didn't have
clearance/space behind the Comfy Armchair for two big ones. Or something
like that. I stand corrected.

wrote:

> I must say, though, I thought they looked like /small/ bottles that you
> carried, and assumed you carried four small ones because you didn't have
> clearance/space behind the Comfy Armchair for two big ones. Or something
> like that. I stand corrected.

They're supposedly 800 ml, and are about the tallest that I can get in
before they start to interfere with the rack...

Every establishment needs an opposition.

Folks, thanks for all the advice. I will try to take some of it on
board and see how I get on.

On Sunday I'm riding the Gran Fondo Milan Sanremo - all 186 miles of
it. It will be about 60 miles further than I've previously managed in
one sitting, so it should at least be "interesting". I'm counting on
there being lots of wheels to shamelessly suck, at least until we get
to the Turchino Pass at about half distance.

I'm anticipating on completing the ride in 12 hours - I'm not sure if
there is a elimination time cut-off as in the Etape, but the rules
state your bike should have lights, so perhaps not or at least it's
going to be a bit over 12 hours as the ride starts at 7am.

I *know* the advice is not to experiment with new feeding strategies on
a big ride, but clearly the current one isn't working too well - too
many sickly sweet carbohydrates? Whilst pork pies and fish & chips may
be in short supply in that part of the world, I'm guessing bananas will
be plentiful on the route!! I shall stock up on those and any other
'real' foods I come across at the feeds.

> I notice from t'other thread that Bronzie completed the 200km in just
> over 8 hours. I wonder if that is significant.

Yes, it could well be that I was justing pushing on too hard. I was
riding the event with a mate who is a bit stronger than me - much as I
enjoy his company, it is something of a two-edged sword as I have to
push myself a little into the red to stay with him. I know the
sensible thing to do is let him go, then he'd have to slow down and
wait for me (because I'm the one in charge of navigation and car
keys!!). Sunday was a bit of an exception however as I did want to
push myself and see how I coped with a higher average speed. Maybe not
too well as it turns out.

Keeping fingers crossed for Sunday then and praying for a decent
tailwind all the way.

Ta
Bronzie

Bronzie wrote:
> Sunday was a bit of an exception however as I did want to
> push myself and see how I coped with a higher average speed. Maybe not
> too well as it turns out.

You coped well enough to finish in 8 hours, which is pretty good going,
really...

It would certainly be the right approach to riding a TT - push as hard
as you can, collapse at the end, recover at leisure. The main difference
with an Audax is that you don't /need/ to ride at that pace. If you
/can/ ride at that pace there's no reason why you shouldn't, but
remember that you are allowed to slow down a bit if you are starting to
suffer in any way.

I was about to say something about the other difference being that
distances are much shorter with TTs, but then I remembered Steve
Abraham's astonishing account of his ride in the Mersey 24hrs in the
most recent Arrivée - ISTR he completed something in the region of 430
miles, ie an average of 18mph (30km/h) - that's including rest-stops;
his average riding speed (without rest stops) was over 20mph.

d.

In article <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>Dave Larrington <[email protected]>typed
>
>> People point and laugh when they see the four large bottles I carry on
>> the trike. [...]

>[1] Beans on toast are probably one of the best randonneur snacks out,

[...]
>... though they do 'encourage' you to get your butt off the saddle,
>preventing soreness.

Presumably not so much of a benefit with Dave's comfy chair?

***********! What do you people drink? Derv or LRP?

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

A conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking.
(Arthur Bloch)

Don Whybrow wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>>
>> People point and laugh when they see the four large bottles I carry on
>> the trike. In return, I point and laugh when I see them making an
>> unscheduled stop at a petrol station :)

> ***********! What do you people drink? Derv or LRP?

It would explain why they feel sick on long rides...