Fenders (mudguards) for small wheels?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Frank Krygowski, Apr 6, 2003.

  1. Any clues about finding or fitting fenders to a small wheel bike? I'm talking about a Terry with a
    24" nominal (22" actual, 25-520) front wheel.

    I've got extra fenders hanging around, but they're all for 700c / 27" wheels (or super-wide ones for
    ATB 26"). The radius doesn't match.

    Any good sources out there? Or has anybody had good luck re-shaping either Esge or Bluemels, perhaps
    with a bit of heat?

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 12:12:05 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

    > Any clues about finding or fitting fenders to a small wheel bike? I'm talking about a Terry with a
    > 24" nominal (22" actual, 25-520) front wheel.
    >
    > I've got extra fenders hanging around, but they're all for 700c / 27" wheels (or super-wide ones
    > for ATB 26"). The radius doesn't match.
    >
    > Any good sources out there? Or has anybody had good luck re-shaping either Esge or Bluemels,
    > perhaps with a bit of heat?

    Planet Bike Freddy fenders come in a 20" size, and they're widely used on recumbents. Or, if your
    aesthetic sense can stand it, you might check out Kent Peterson's web site and look at his
    instructions for making homemade fenders out of coroplast election signs. I have to warn you,
    though, they are so ugly they aren't for the faint of heart. We're talking Gorgon-ugly here, enough
    to think about Oedipus reaching for that pin...