Figures etc at SafeSpeed

On 20 Feb 2003 14:27:22 -0800, [email protected] (Richard Waters) wrote:

>> Further to discussions yesterday I have made a draft page and spreadsheet available concerning
>> the UK's loss of previous fatal accident trend in 1993.

>> http://www.safespeed.org.uk/fatality.html

>> Comments welcome. (not cross posted)
>Your mathematics may be correct (although I dispute the validity of picking arbitrary trend lines
>based on the overall change between two arbitrary years; you have not demonstrated that there is a
>statistically significant change since 1993; the data points are well-distributed and the chances
>of seeing a 'trend' such as the one you identify purely by blind chance are all too present. The
>onus is on you to show that the trend is not attributable to lady luck if you wish to use these
>figures to support a case for change in public policy).

I'll do whatever I can to build the case.

>Any such analysis should anticipate a gradual fall in the year-on-year percentage change since
>the eventual outcome of any road safety policy will be to leave us with a residual level of
>accidents that reflect human and technical inadequacy (we will never achieve an accident-free
>road network while humans drive, walk and cycle). Each new development in road safety may
>reasonably be expected to cause a temporary spike in this for a few years as their impact is felt
>and then, over subsequent years, the rate of change will fall away as there is no new advance to
>reduce the figures.

Exponential trends already have such a characteristic. The trends identified are exponential.

>Even if I grant that that the maths is acceptable, the conclusions you draw from it hold no water.

Naturally I disagree.

>Your assertion that speed cameras and the speed kills policy are the only possible cause is at
>worst ridiculous and at best an assertion unsupported by any causal evidence. The statement that it
>must be true because it is the only reasonable cause is infantile, and your attempt to hide such a
>random leap of illogic within a mass of reasonable-sounding mathematice akin to the defenses of
>Astrology that are littered astronomical terms to impress the gullible.

There's no way to prove the case at present. But evidence is building everywhere I look.

>So let me offer you one alternative hypothesis. In 1992 the Ford Escort was first fitted with an
>airbag. This happened on a few K reg models (available Autumn 1993) and became more widespread over
>subsequent years (http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_options/usedoptions.asp?model_id=389).
>Airbags became widely available in the Vauxhall Astra in 1993
>(http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_options/usedoptions.asp?model_id=234). These 2 cars account
>for a large percentage of UK sales. This is not the first introduction of airbags into UK cars, but
>it is when they became common.

>1993 as a year saw a large percentage reduction in the percentage change of fatalities per billion
>vehicle miles (roughly 1% compared to .6% in 1991). This reflects the impact of airbags in reducing
>the fatalities of drivers. Since then the percentage change of deaths per billion KM has been
>dropping away steadily. I put this down to drivers adapting to the presence of airbags, feeling
>safer as a result and driving less safely (there are figures below to support this).

If such a risk compensation effect was happening now with airbags, you would have to explain why it
didn't happen in the past with disc brakes, radial ply tyres, seatbelts, crash testing, side impact
protection, head rests, etc.

>Mr. Smith, you are selling snake oil. Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors.

You are entirely mistaken. But thanks for your comments.

> - Richard Waters
>
>Year Bill. deaths death rate percentage change in death vehicle per vehicle rate per mile miles
>mile 1992 412.1 4,229 10.2615494 -0.837332209 1993 412.2 3,814 9.252610333 -1.008939067 1994 422.6
>3,650 8.637008992 -0.615601341 1995 430.9 3,621 8.404082978 -0.232926014 1996 442.5 3,598
>8.131073446 -0.273009532 1997 452.5 3,599 7.95359116 -0.177482286 1998 459.2 3,421 7.449912892
>-0.503678268 1999 466.0 3,423 7.345272889 -0.104640003 2000 467.7 3,409 7.288860381 -0.056412508
>2001 473.7 3,450 7.283090564 -0.005769817

Notice how 1998 was the only year since 1994 to fail to show a worse result than the previous year?
There's nothing else like this in the history of GB road fatality rates.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email Let's make
speed cameras as unacceptable as drink driving

Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On 20 Feb 2003 14:27:22 -0800, [email protected] (Richard Waters) wrote:
>
> >> Further to discussions yesterday I have made a draft page and spreadsheet available concerning
> >> the UK's loss of previous fatal accident trend in 1993.
>
> >> http://www.safespeed.org.uk/fatality.html
>
> >> Comments welcome. (not cross posted)
> >Your mathematics may be correct (although I dispute the validity of picking arbitrary trend lines
> >based on the overall change between two arbitrary years; you have not demonstrated that there is
> >a statistically significant change since 1993; the data points are well-distributed and the
> >chances of seeing a 'trend' such as the one you identify purely by blind chance are all too
> >present. The onus is on you to show that the trend is not attributable to lady luck if you wish
> >to use these figures to support a case for change in public policy).
>
> I'll do whatever I can to build the case.
>
> >Any such analysis should anticipate a gradual fall in the year-on-year percentage change since
> >the eventual outcome of any road safety policy will be to leave us with a residual level of
> >accidents that reflect human and technical inadequacy (we will never achieve an accident-free
> >road network while humans drive, walk and cycle). Each new development in road safety may
> >reasonably be expected to cause a temporary spike in this for a few years as their impact is felt
> >and then, over subsequent years, the rate of change will fall away as there is no new advance to
> >reduce the figures.
>
> Exponential trends already have such a characteristic. The trends identified are exponential.
That's not what I said. Your trend lines are lines of constant percentage reduction, year on year.
This is indeed an exponential decay in the absolute number of fatalities per BVKm, true, but I did
not say that.

I would not expect to see a constant percentage decrease year-on-year, but a lower percentage each
year as we approach some minimum level.
i.e. the trend is not constant, but is itself gradually decaying. Your assumption in deriving the
trend lines is that the percentage change should be constant. I dispute that assumption and
you give no evidence to support it. A better calculation would be to calculate the average
percentage change for each rolling 5-year period (say) and to plot this against time to see
how the percentage change is changing with time. Your yellow and blue lines should not be
straight on a log scale, they should show a gradual levelling off as it becomes more and more
difficult to find measures to reduce casualties. The actual data (red) shows this trend. As
you would expect with statistical data it is not smooth, but the 'change in trend' you see is
nonexistant. It is simply evidence that it is getting harder and harder to get the figures
down further.

> >Even if I grant that that the maths is acceptable, the conclusions you draw from it hold
> >no water.
>
> Naturally I disagree.
>
> >Your assertion that speed cameras and the speed kills policy are the only possible cause is at
> >worst ridiculous and at best an assertion unsupported by any causal evidence. The statement that
> >it must be true because it is the only reasonable cause is infantile, and your attempt to hide
> >such a random leap of illogic within a mass of reasonable-sounding mathematice akin to the
> >defenses of Astrology that are littered astronomical terms to impress the gullible.
>
> There's no way to prove the case at present. But evidence is building everywhere I look.
>
> >So let me offer you one alternative hypothesis. In 1992 the Ford Escort was first fitted with an
> >airbag. This happened on a few K reg models (available Autumn 1993) and became more widespread
> >over subsequent years
> >(http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_options/usedoptions.asp?model_id=389). Airbags became
> >widely available in the Vauxhall Astra in 1993
> >(http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_options/usedoptions.asp?model_id=234). These 2 cars
> >account for a large percentage of UK sales. This is not the first introduction of airbags into UK
> >cars, but it is when they became common.
>
> >1993 as a year saw a large percentage reduction in the percentage change of fatalities per
> >billion vehicle miles (roughly 1% compared to .6% in 1991). This reflects the impact of airbags
> >in reducing the fatalities of drivers. Since then the percentage change of deaths per billion KM
> >has been dropping away steadily. I put this down to drivers adapting to the presence of airbags,
> >feeling safer as a result and driving less safely (there are figures below to support this).
>
> If such a risk compensation effect was happening now with airbags, you would have to explain why
> it didn't happen in the past with disc brakes, radial ply tyres, seatbelts, crash testing, side
> impact protection, head rests, etc.
Maybe it did. There are spikes in the data that maybe correlate with the introduction of seatbelts,
the making of seatbelts compulsory, the introduction of safety cages and crumple zones, various
pieces of UK and EU legislation on car safety and so on. I am sure that the picture is hugely
complex and the ever-present random noise of pure chance makes it difficult to make out the image.

> >Mr. Smith, you are selling snake oil. Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors.
>
> You are entirely mistaken. But thanks for your comments.
>
> > - Richard Waters
> >
> >Year Bill. deaths death rate percentage change in death vehicle per vehicle rate per mile miles
> >mile 1992 412.1 4,229 10.2615494 -0.837332209 1993 412.2 3,814 9.252610333 -1.008939067 1994
> >422.6 3,650 8.637008992 -0.615601341 1995 430.9 3,621 8.404082978 -0.232926014 1996 442.5 3,598
> >8.131073446 -0.273009532 1997 452.5 3,599 7.95359116 -0.177482286 1998 459.2 3,421 7.449912892
> >-0.503678268 1999 466.0 3,423 7.345272889 -0.104640003 2000 467.7 3,409 7.288860381 -0.056412508
> >2001 473.7 3,450 7.283090564 -0.005769817
>
> Notice how 1998 was the only year since 1994 to fail to show a worse result than the previous
> year? There's nothing else like this in the history of GB road fatality rates.
I don't understand this point at all. 1998 showed a better result than the previous year, not a
worse one and the fact that relatively few years show an improvement on the previous year suggests
that the overall historic trend is, unfortunately downward, not constant as your deeply misleading
graphs assume.

On 21 Feb 2003 02:49:32 -0800, [email protected] (Richard Waters) wrote:

>> >Any such analysis should anticipate a gradual fall in the year-on-year percentage change since
>> >the eventual outcome of any road safety policy will be to leave us with a residual level of
>> >accidents that reflect human and technical inadequacy (we will never achieve an accident-free
>> >road network while humans drive, walk and cycle). Each new development in road safety may
>> >reasonably be expected to cause a temporary spike in this for a few years as their impact is
>> >felt and then, over subsequent years, the rate of change will fall away as there is no new
>> >advance to reduce the figures.

>> Exponential trends already have such a characteristic. The trends identified are exponential.

>That's not what I said. Your trend lines are lines of constant percentage reduction, year on year.
>This is indeed an exponential decay in the absolute number of fatalities per BVKm, true, but I did
>not say that.

Agreed. I misunderstood your point.

However, I see no basis to expect such reductions in annual percentages. It wouldn't be reasonable
to assume that as the cause for the trend changes circa 1993, especially since if there is such a
trend, we would expect to see it arise gradually. It would show as a long term shallow concave curve
in the data line. But the data line from 1950 to 1993 tends to show the opposite. (i.e. slightly
convex... we had greater improvements in the 80 than the 60s for example).

There will be a rise in the figures for 2002. Would that convince you that the recent changes are
worse than simply "hitting the buffers"?

Perhaps, if we approach zero road deaths we'd see a "hard core" of "unstoppable events", and the
last few would be hard to deal with. I'd be surprised if that were the case myself.

I'm totally confident that present road safety has hit no such limits, and claims such as "all the
big gains have been had" are mostly excuses for policies which failed.

>I would not expect to see a constant percentage decrease year-on-year, but a lower percentage each
>year as we approach some minimum level.
>i.e. the trend is not constant, but is itself gradually decaying. Your assumption in deriving the
> trend lines is that the percentage change should be constant. I dispute that assumption and
> you give no evidence to support it. A better calculation would be to calculate the average
> percentage change for each rolling 5-year period (say) and to plot this against time to see
> how the percentage change is changing with time. Your yellow and blue lines should not be
> straight on a log scale, they should show a gradual levelling off as it becomes more and more
> difficult to find measures to reduce casualties. The actual data (red) shows this trend. As
> you would expect with statistical data it is not smooth, but the 'change in trend' you see is
> nonexistant. It is simply evidence that it is getting harder and harder to get the figures
> down further.

(see above)

[snip]

>> >So let me offer you one alternative hypothesis. In 1992 the Ford Escort was first fitted with an
>> >airbag. This happened on a few K reg models (available Autumn 1993) and became more widespread
>> >over subsequent years
>> >(http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_options/usedoptions.asp?model_id=389). Airbags became
>> >widely available in the Vauxhall Astra in 1993
>> >(http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_options/usedoptions.asp?model_id=234). These 2 cars
>> >account for a large percentage of UK sales. This is not the first introduction of airbags into
>> >UK cars, but it is when they became common.

[snip]

>> If such a risk compensation effect was happening now with airbags, you would have to explain why
>> it didn't happen in the past with disc brakes, radial ply tyres, seatbelts, crash testing, side
>> impact protection, head rests, etc.

>Maybe it did. There are spikes in the data that maybe correlate with the introduction of seatbelts,
>the making of seatbelts compulsory, the introduction of safety cages and crumple zones, various
>pieces of UK and EU legislation on car safety and so on. I am sure that the picture is hugely
>complex and the ever-present random noise of pure chance makes it difficult to make out the image.

These innovations have contributed to the improvements in road safety over the years. But
innovation itself is a continuous input to road safety and continues as before. A constant effect
in it's own right.

I have my suspicions that innovation is accelerating slightly and is responsible (at least in part)
for the slightly convex trend to 1993.

It's interesting and notable that seat belts didn't have a sudden effect in 1984 when the law
caused front seat belt wearing to leap from ~15% to ~85% overnight. I think risk compensation is
implicated here.

[snip]

>> >Year Bill. deaths death rate percentage change in death vehicle per vehicle rate per mile miles
>> >mile 1992 412.1 4,229 10.2615494 -0.837332209 1993 412.2 3,814 9.252610333 -1.008939067 1994
>> >422.6 3,650 8.637008992 -0.615601341 1995 430.9 3,621 8.404082978 -0.232926014 1996 442.5 3,598
>> >8.131073446 -0.273009532 1997 452.5 3,599 7.95359116 -0.177482286 1998 459.2 3,421 7.449912892
>> >-0.503678268 1999 466.0 3,423 7.345272889 -0.104640003 2000 467.7 3,409 7.288860381 -0.056412508
>> >2001 473.7 3,450 7.283090564 -0.005769817

>> Notice how 1998 was the only year since 1994 to fail to show a worse result than the previous
>> year? There's nothing else like this in the history of GB road fatality rates.

>I don't understand this point at all. 1998 showed a better result than the previous year, not a
>worse one and the fact that relatively few years show an improvement on the previous year suggests
>that the overall historic trend is, unfortunately downward, not constant as your deeply misleading
>graphs assume.

That's a misread of what I wrote.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email promoting
intelligent road safety

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:38:05 -0000, "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:14:32 -0000, "Andrew B" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >YOU SPEED = YOU BREAK THE LAW = YOU GET FINED
>> >
>> --
>> A speed limit is NOT a target.
>
>No, but it is a maximum.
>
>As long as speed limits are appropriate*, then I don't think there is a problem with automated
>enforcement. Speed cameras should be set to as close as zero-tolerance as the technology used can
>measure accurately.

I've just mailed a Met PC ex-school mate of mine about this. I'm awaiting his reply.

FWIW, I played the lead, he was on the bass.

James

--
A speed limit is NOT a target.

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:38:05 -0000, "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> --
> >> A speed limit is NOT a target.
> >
> >No, but it is a maximum.
> >
> >As long as speed limits are appropriate*, then I don't think there is a problem with automated
> >enforcement. Speed cameras should be set to as
close
> >as zero-tolerance as the technology used can measure accurately.
> >

> I've just mailed a Met PC ex-school mate of mine about this. I'm awaiting his reply.
>
> FWIW, I played the lead, he was on the bass.
>
> James

If "about this" you mean my post - could you e-mail him a correction - by "dual carriageways
without at-grade junctions at 60MPH" I meant "dual carriageways *with* at-grade junctions at 60MPH
". Dual carriageways with GSJs would be 70 MPH (the 60 limits would be signed as such, 70 would
remain the NSL)

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:55:44 -0000, "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:

[re cameras]
>1993 was not the right time.

Now then, Bill, can you think of something which did suddenly become common in the very early 1990s,
which rapidly escalated to a high level of prevalence with high-mileage drivers and which is now
extremely common; something whose use is known to cause dramatic reductions in drivers' attention to
their driving, the rate at which they scan the road and so on; something whose use has been
repeatedly linked to crashes?

A device whose use on the move is considered sufficiently dangerous to prompt legislators to discuss
banning it on more than one occasion?

I first used a car phone in 1990. My firm also had an emergency cellular phone, the "batphone," one
of the old brick-sized portables, which was taken home by the person on callout duty. By 1995 I had
a pocket mobile, and carried it everywhere, even using it in my car.

I can't believe we've all missed it, it's so blindingly obvious! Kudos to Ian Walker for pointing
out that 1 in 10 drivers he saw in an informal survey were on the phone.

Given that there is substantial documentary evidence that talking on the phone is inimical to good
driving, and the rise of the mobile tracks the (albeit barely perceptible) trend expressed in Mr
Smith's repeated posts, it would seem wholly reasonable to judge that the link may be causal.

Faced with the alternatives of enforcement cameras, which cover a statistically insignificant
proportion of the road network, and phone use, where there is a substantial base of data suggesting
increased risk, I know where any competent statistician would focus their attention.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:03:40 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:55:44 -0000, "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>[re cameras]
>>1993 was not the right time.

>Now then, Bill, can you think of something which did suddenly become common in the very early
>1990s, which rapidly escalated to a high level of prevalence with high-mileage drivers and which is
>now extremely common; something whose use is known to cause dramatic reductions in drivers'
>attention to their driving, the rate at which they scan the road and so on; something whose use has
>been repeatedly linked to crashes?

>A device whose use on the move is considered sufficiently dangerous to prompt legislators to
>discuss banning it on more than one occasion?

>I first used a car phone in 1990. My firm also had an emergency cellular phone, the "batphone," one
>of the old brick-sized portables, which was taken home by the person on callout duty. By 1995 I had
>a pocket mobile, and carried it everywhere, even using it in my car.

[snippy snip]

I first had a cellphone in my car in 1985. But RoSPA have only been able to attribute 19 deaths to
cellphone use. We're looking for something like 4,700 to date.

Then one has to account for the absence of the effect in France and Germany. And the presence of the
effect in Norway, Sweden and Australia.

Next theory!
--

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:21:15 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Rubbish. The roads are safer. simple as that.
>You're more or less correct. I'll fix that. Thanks.

figures!

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:38:47 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>>In 1) - why do you think the trend changed in 1993? You need to do the same exercise with
>>different start/finish years for a starter.

>I've looked at it in some detail. (As you might expect). There's a specific curve (i.e. change in
>direction) in the red data line at
>1993/4 which marks a clear and dramatic change in trend.

There is a small and statistically insignificant kink at that one point. A kink of that size in a
single year could be caused by a single large crash - with statistics of this sort you have to
average out the noise.

And one factor which has a proven link to adverse road safety results which has unquestionably grown
over the same period from a very low base is mobile phone use. This alone could easily account for
the difference. The research on mobile phone danger, unlike any of the figures on speed cameras -
either way - is unequivocal: peer-reviewed, repeatable, and duplicated in numerous controlled
experiments.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:03:12 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>I first had a cellphone in my car in 1985.

And they became common in the early 1990s. Precisely the tim when your trend appeared.

>But RoSPA have only been able to attribute 19 deaths to cellphone use.

That's directly attributable - 19 more than cameras (zero directly attributable deaths because, of
course, it's inappropriate driver reactions to cameras which cause accidents). Now look at the vast
body of research which conclusively proves beyond any shadow of any reasonable doubt that using a
phone on the move, hand-held or hands free, significantly reduces the quality of driving.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:34:08 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Rubbish. The roads are safer. simple as that.
>>You're more or less correct. I'll fix that. Thanks.

>figures!

The wording was misleading, or maybe plain wrong.

I fixed the incorrect wording. Big deal.
--

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:42:00 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>In 1) - why do you think the trend changed in 1993? You need to do the same exercise with
>>>different start/finish years for a starter.

>>I've looked at it in some detail. (As you might expect). There's a specific curve (i.e. change in
>>direction) in the red data line at
>>1993/4 which marks a clear and dramatic change in trend.

>There is a small and statistically insignificant kink at that one point. A kink of that size in a
>single year could be caused by a single large crash - with statistics of this sort you have to
>average out the noise.

I've averaged out the noise about 20 different ways. The kink is real as you would know if you had
bothered to follow the reference I gave you earlier on this exact subject.

>And one factor which has a proven link to adverse road safety results which has unquestionably
>grown over the same period from a very low base is mobile phone use. This alone could easily
>account for the difference. The research on mobile phone danger, unlike any of the figures on speed
>cameras - either way - is unequivocal: peer-reviewed, repeatable, and duplicated in numerous
>controlled experiments.

Yeah. And the risks of mobile phones are real. But they aren't even 5% of the problem.
--

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:10:03 -0000, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

>These are trend lines which you admitted were a mistake a few posts ago.

Paul has also admitted that he cannot prove a causal link - having admitted that his entire
argument is pure supposition, do you think that he'll cave in just because he also admits his
graphs are dodgy?

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:29:50 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>I first had a cellphone in my car in 1985.

>And they became common in the early 1990s. Precisely the tim when your trend appeared.

>>But RoSPA have only been able to attribute 19 deaths to cellphone use.

Why have you taken to snipping important points?

It isn't a decent way to conduct a discussion.
--

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:

> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:21:15 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >>Rubbish. The roads are safer. simple as that.
> >You're more or less correct. I'll fix that. Thanks.
>

> figures!

When I pointed out an error on his site, Paul's "fix" was simply a rather petulant rewrite of the
original counter-factual slur.
--
Sherilyn

After watching this thread get longer and longer I have decided to block any further threads
from Mr Smith.

Sorry to anyone that has tried to point out the flaws in the data etc, but some people are so single
minded and anal that they fail to see the link.

DRIVING FAST & NOT BEING 100% IN CONTROL KILLS PEOPLE. NOT CAMERAS ! TAKE RESPONSIBILITY.

I ride my bike everywhere and haven't driven a car in 10 years. I have noticed over the years how
more and more car drivers feel that they have the right to do anything they want because they pay
"car tax" (an imaginary tax). I have seen friends on motorbikes told they have less rights because
they pay less.

The car has become, in some peoples minds a weapon, and that tiny piece of paper stuck to the
windscreen gives them special powers. Someone shakes their fist at you, don't worry you can always
reverse over them !

How does anyone expect pollution to get any better when people who use the best alternative form of
transport are literally run of the road !

RECLAIM THE STREETS ! JOIN THE ANY CYCLE ORGANISATIONS THAT FIGHTS FOR YOUR RIGHTS.

I'm sorry if the post doesn't make much sense and for any spelling or grammatical errors, but I feel
very strongly about this matter.

Regards,

Andrew

Paul Smith <[email protected]> writes:
> But RoSPA have only been able to attribute 19 deaths to cellphone use.

And how many deaths has RoSPA been able to attribute to speed cameras? How many deaths has _anyone_
serious been able to attribute to speed cameras?

On 23 Feb 2003 09:13:44 +0000, Alan Braggins <[email protected]> wrote:

>Paul Smith <[email protected]> writes:

>> But RoSPA have only been able to attribute 19 deaths to cellphone use.

>And how many deaths has RoSPA been able to attribute to speed cameras? How many deaths has _anyone_
>serious been able to attribute to speed cameras?

It's hard to attribute deaths to speed cameras (and the policies which support them, and the
policies which are consequent on them), because the effect on driving skills and behaviour is
subtle and insidious. It's isn't like creating a few maniacs, it's making many millions a few
percent worse.

You can't improve most responsible peoples' performance at a task by draconian curtailment. You can
and do improve most peoples' performance by giving responsibility, encouragement and training. This
is just basic man management.

There are a few who won't learn and need curtailment maybe 5% or less of the population. The Police
used to spot them a mile off and deal with them appropriately.

But we've now made the majority a little less responsible, a little less safe, a little more angry,
a little more distracted and more...

You guys in uk.rec.cycling are always complaining about declining standards. You seem to blame
"selfish drivers", but most are decent folk making the sorts of efforts they've been advised to make
in a complex environment. Like all humans they make mistakes.

On the road a mistake turns into an accident if the margin for error is insufficient. The government
appears to think that slowing down by a few mph will increase the margin for error but it simply
isn't true. Drivers look as far ahead as they need to unless they are well trained. Proper
observation, anticipation and planning provides a margin for error large enough to accommodate the
mistakes of those around you as well as your own mistakes in the massive majority of circumstances.

If you guys wish to be surrounded by better drivers, you should join my campaign, not denigrate it.
I want to make the roads safer, and I certainly don't promote the irresponsible use of speed. I even
think speed limits are a good thing.