First Entry Level Road Bike- Giant/Mercier Comparison

Ben J

Aug 16, 2013
I am a 62 years old male, weigh 248 fat # and trying to get back in shape! Also, I suffer with chronic sciatica pain due to a horse rearing up and falling on me (broke 3 ribs against my spinal column and punctured a lung) in 1986 and in 1991 a guy rear ending me at a red light (hairline cracked my neck S2 and crushed 3 vertebrae between my shoulder blades). Have always loved hunting, fishing and sports in general, including biking. The only problem is, now, everything I have always enjoyed doing HURTS! Boo Hoo Boo Hoo LOL Thankfully, bike riding is the least pain evasive sport I can do.
Seriously, I am thankful to get out of bed in the morning and realize that the Lord has been extremely good to me.

I currently ride my Giant Sedona DX approximately 1-3 times a week from 3-5 miles and an occasional 10-12 miles, all on rolling paved side roads (no dirt trails). I am ready to get my mileage on similar roads up to the 15-30 miles range. My question is: I have pretty well narrowed my decision on either purchasing a 2014 Giant Escape 2 or 3 from a local shop for $410 to $500 plus 8% tax or buying a Mercier Galaxy Tour 2013 from Bikes Direct for $370 delivered (no additional charges). I know I will have to put the Mercier together and adjust but I think I am looking at another $30-$50.

What is your opinion on best choice?

First, plan on spending $70-90, generally the cost of a basic tune-up, on shop assembly for a BikesDirect bike.

Second, understand that when you buy from a shop some services are free: basic fitting, adjustments, and warranty help should it be necessary.

Third, understand that BikesDirect hits that price point by cutting costs, usually where the customer isn't going to notice it until the bike's been ridden for a while. Customary price cutting points are wheels, cables, saddles, brake pads, headsets, saddles, and behind-the-curve frame designs. Realistically, I'd value the Mercier at around $440, if it came fully assembled and with dealer support.

And, more as a point of information, the Giant has lower, wider-range gearing that is customary to this style of bike at this price point. The Mercier's Shimano 2300 drivetrain is entry-level road bike equipment.

Originally Posted by Ben J .

I am a 62 years old male, weigh 248 fat # and trying to get back in shape! Also, I suffer with chronic sciatica pain due to a horse rearing up and falling on me (broke 3 ribs against my spinal column and punctured a lung) in 1986 and in 1991 a guy rear ending me at a red light (hairline cracked my neck S2 and crushed 3 vertebrae between my shoulder blades). Have always loved hunting, fishing and sports in general, including biking. The only problem is, now, everything I have always enjoyed doing HURTS! Boo Hoo Boo Hoo LOL Thankfully, bike riding is the least pain evasive sport I can do.
Seriously, I am thankful to get out of bed in the morning and realize that the Lord has been extremely good to me.

I currently ride my Giant Sedona DX approximately 1-3 times a week from 3-5 miles and an occasional 10-12 miles, all on rolling paved side roads (no dirt trails). I am ready to get my mileage on similar roads up to the 15-30 miles range. My question is: I have pretty well narrowed my decision on either purchasing a 2014 Giant Escape 2 or 3 from a local shop for $410 to $500 plus 8% tax or buying a Mercier Galaxy Tour 2013 from Bikes Direct for $370 delivered (no additional charges). I know I will have to put the Mercier together and adjust but I think I am looking at another $30-$50.

What about better tires & tubes?

• 700x28 (?) tires & tubes may be all you need to make your bike seem much more nimble ...
  • OR, even a better wheelset/tires/etc. for your current bike?

BTW. If you like the fit of your current bike, then a rigid "touring" or "tandem" fork may be something to consider at some time in the future to replace the bike's suspension fork.

My Sedona weighs 38#. The Escape weighs 23-24# and I do not know the weight on the Mercier, probably more than the Escape due to being a touring bike but maybe not since it has a carbon fork. I mentioned to the local Giant dealer about just changing tire sizes, wheels and front fork and found that the cost was going to be almost as much as buying a new Escape 3! Also, he advised that it would still be heavier than the 3 and due to the geometry of the bike would still not come close to the performance of the 3. So back to the drawing board. As to the comment about Bikes Direct I only know what I have read in several sites/forums reviews comments and their eBay ratings. Also, I found that I think I can handle the assembly and tune ups ok myself so no $ out the door for that.

I really appreciate the advice and comments and am only giving my additional comments as an out loud thought. More comments and advice appreciated.

I really appreciate the advice and comments and am only giving my additional comments as an out loud thought. More comments and advice appreciated.
I wasn't going to say anything because I figured you'd take the worthwhile advice and make a decision that works for you. And this thread will expire quietly and you will purchase a bike that suits your needs.

So I will say what I had in mind. Trying to convert a comfort bike into a performance hybrid by swapping out the 26" wheels and suspension fork is an incredibly stupid idea. Beyond the cost of the parts and the logistics of making them work together (something they were not designed for), the frame design of the Sedona simply does not facilitate spirited riding. It is too heavy, unstable, and upright. In addition, adding a rigid fork would lower the front end, making it more upright. But I'm glad you heard this from someone else first.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice. I think I have finally narrowed my possible acquisition to a Giant Escape 1 or a similar quality/components/priced Trek. The primary reasoning for these two manufacturers is that they are local dealers w/good reputations and service and the price range I need to stay in.

Smart choice. Really, all the bikes in this category from the major brands are quite excellent (and that Mercier isn't too shabby, either), so it becomes a choice based on personal preferences. Happy trails, Ben.

Hi, and welcome. You might also try swimming along with riding the bike as your back to health routine, it is very refreshing.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

I wasn't going to say anything because I figured you'd take the worthwhile advice and make a decision that works for you. And this thread will expire quietly and you will purchase a bike that suits your needs.

So I will say what I had in mind. Trying to convert a comfort bike into a performance hybrid by swapping out the 26" wheels and suspension fork is an incredibly stupid idea. Beyond the cost of the parts and the logistics of making them work together (something they were not designed for), the frame design of the Sedona simply does not facilitate spirited riding. It is too heavy, unstable, and upright. In addition, adding a rigid fork would lower the front end, making it more upright. But I'm glad you heard this from someone else first.
Eeeeee!!!!

First, I did not know that the SEDONA only had 26" wheels, so please accept my apologies for simply suggesting 700x28 tires & + replacing the fork because I incorrectly presumed it was a Hybrid which was typically handicapped with an inexpensive front suspension fork.

BUT, I strongly disagree about how "incredibly stupid (an) idea" it is-or-isn't to re-tailor an existing bike for a given rider ...

• one thing that I think the OP needs to clarify is how much "stuff" he has adorning his bike to make it weight 38 lbs. because if he strips off the add-ons he will probably find that it weighs closer to 28 lbs & the transfer of "stuff" to any new bike will add that ~10 lbs to the new bikes's weight

REGARDLESS, the BIG problem for the OP is that his back problem probably means that leaning forward to reach the handlebars on a non-comfort bike will be forever uncomfortable ...

• FWIW. I strongly recommend that BEFORE the OP buys any new bike that pivots his stem forward & down to approximate a 2" further reach (yes, a tape measure should be used) than his bike's current setup so he can simulate the future riding position he will probably have on the ESCAPE or other non-Comfort bike AND take several typical rides with that configuration

Is the bike's fit for the specific rider no longer important?!?
​
While the OP may-or-may-not find that changing parts on his bike is something which he wants to consider, the cost of replacing the suspension fork with a rigid fork is not that great ... and, installing a 700c Touring fork will not adversely affect the geometry as you seem to believe it will.

The cost of new wheels/tires/tubes + a new crank (to reduce the bike's overall weight) & the fore mentioned fork (and headset) will not exceed the cost of a new bike EVEN IF a shop does the labor (~1 hour) ...

Consequently, I can ONLY imagine that your comment was made because you actually like to see pictures of frames which were designed for 26" wheels retrofitted with 700c wheels ... so, here goes ...

The OP would not change the handlebars, of course.

The forward facing hole on the rear fender mounting hole was enlarged to accept a recessed nut to accommodate the "long reach" TEKTRO brake caliper whose reach is just long enough for both of frames which are pictured and a different reach brake caliper may be required.

The larger circumference wheels means that the bikes are about an inch higher off the ground than they would be with 26" wheels shod with Road slicks.

Thanks to all comments and advice. This morning I bought a 2014 Giant Escape 1 from a local dealer who has an excellent service record.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Real life depictions of Rube Goldberg machines.
It's really too bad that an anti-Semitic Troll like YOU hasn't been banned, yet.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

It's really too bad that an anti-Semitic Troll like YOU hasn't been banned, yet.
Rube Goldberg was a brilliant cartoonist. The connection was being made between what you ride and the advice you give, and Mr. Goldberg's cartoons. It has nothing to do with his Jewishness.

You are so right! I swim 1-2 times per week plus do the spa thing. I live right next to a small resort community I own a time share in so I get to use the rec facilities year around. I do a little bit of swimming and a lot of water play with my 2.5 years old granddaughter. LOL I am supposed to pick up my Giant Escape 1 next Tuesday. Can't wait to get in a good ride!

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

Rube Goldberg was a brilliant cartoonist. The connection was being made between what you ride and the advice you give, and Mr. Goldberg's cartoons. It has nothing to do with his Jewishness.
Perhaps if someone else had posted the remark then your observation might be accurate and/or viable ...

Unfortunately, you are ignoring alienator's general lack of civility when he used the "Rube Goldberg" reference in the past ...

• it's hard for me to believe that alienator is now suggesting that he thinks the non-standard component choices which I have made are a "brilliant" adaptation! if that is what he meant, then hallelujah!
[*] to the contrary, alienator's inability to comprehend Chris Juden's matrix is merely proof that his occasional attacks are probably the consequence of his confusion causing frustration which he needs to mask by pretending to know better when he actually, apparently knows very little except for what he can remember when parrotting ... sometimes, his information is correct, but there are certainly demonstrable instances where he has made profoundly inaccurate misstatements
  • of course, alienator's frustration must be undoubtedly be exacerbated by his apparent inability (vs. choice) to do his own wrenching

BTW. There is nothing complex in the advice I give where I substitute one component for another on a one-to-one basis, so there is no comparison between the complex configurations which Rube Goldberg's devices encompassed ...

No, unfortunately, alienator is an anti-Semitic racist who used the appellation as a pejorative & hence it can be considered to have been made in a racist manner even if you never would do so OR even think to do so.