first metric century :)

Alan Holmes wrote:

>> Now we know you're mad. Nobody in their right mind goes
>> to a folk dance.

> I'm begining to realise that now, but 50 years too
> late!:)-)

You should make a point of trying every experience once,
excepting incest and folk-dancing. (Sir Arnold Bax,
apparently; I always thought it was Wilde or Beecham or
some such wit)

--
Guy
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

In news:[email protected],
Alan Holmes <[email protected]> typed:
> "Ambrose Nankivell"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> BUYBT
>
> That's a new one on me!
>
> What does it mean?

It means that you generate so many responses to your posts
with your thought provoking comments that it's good for the
telecommunications network, and thus recommending that
people buy shares in BT [1]

Ambrose
[1] The value of shares may go down as well as up. Author is
not a qualified investment consultant or regulated by
the FSA, share price of telecommunications companies may
be affected by factors other than Usenet traffic. This
message is confidential and only for the readership of
the general public to which it is addressed. Always
consult with passersby on the street before making
investments, etc, etc,

in message <[email protected]>, Alan Holmes
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:lir2q1-
> [email protected]...
>> in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
>> you know? ('[email protected]') wrote:

>> > See what happens when you get the decimal point in the
>> > wrong place? You look like an eejit!
>>
>> Many years ago I did Kirkcudbright to home - thirteen and
>> a half miles - in a time I believed to be exactly thirty
>> minutes. Or, I believed, 27 miles per hour. Which is over
>> two hundred metre ridges, at sea level at both ends and
>> at only about 20m above sea level in the middle.
>
> Quite good for that journey.
>
> And I see nothing wrong with that sort of time, there used
> to be a very large number of cyclists in Scotland, and
> they managed good times.

Dear boy, I'm not surprised that you see nothing odd about
this sort of time, seeing that on your own evidence we know
that you are the holder of several cycling speed records. I,
however, am a mere mortal, and the idea that at any age and
any state of fitness I could have achieved that sort of
sustained speed over that sort of terrain is frankly
preposterous.

>> And I look at the journey now (it normally takes me an
>> hour, even on my road bike, even when I'm going well and
>> feeling good) and I just don't believe it. I think the
>> heroic trips of our youth are remembered through a fog of
>> golden self-delusion. OK, so I was a lot fitter then and
>> covered a lot more miles and I was certainly faster. But
>> that fast? I find it hard to believe.
>
> Why do you find it hard to believe, you knew how far it
> was and how long it took.

I know how far it is and I know how long I remember I
believed I had taken. My comment was attempting to indicate
that it is possible for human memory to, uhhmmm, somewhat
enhance one's recollections of one's own achievements. As,
indeed, your own posts bear eloquent testimony.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; my other
religion is Emacs

"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The french as individuals are lovely, it's when they act
> as a race they become objectionable!

A French person said the same to me last week.

Except they said "English" in place of "French".
--
"You are the most stupid asshole I have yet encountered on
this newsgroup. Congratulations. That is no small

David Martin [email protected] opined the
following...
> Two dozen on two hands surely? Far easier to keep tabs on
> as you can use the thumbs to point to the relevant number?
>
> Dozens make perfect sense, far more than tens..
>
> 1 gross (+12) is the largest number you can count to on
> two hands in base
> 12.

I'm obviously missing the joke here, but... how!

Jon

Mark South [email protected] opined the following...
> "Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>
> > The french as individuals are lovely, it's when they act
> > as a race they become objectionable!
>
> A French person said the same to me last week.
>
> Except they said "English" in place of "French".

Or "American" instead of "English".

Jon

Captain's log. On StarDate Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:10:45 +0100 received comm from
"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> on channel uk.rec.cycling:

: The french as individuals are lovely, it's when they act
: as a race they become objectionable!

I absolutely agree (I know many very nice and friendly
french persons!)...

Best regards,

martin törnsten

--
http://82.182.73.126/

On 21/6/04 10:05 pm, in article [email protected],
"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:

> David Martin [email protected] opined the
> following...
>> Two dozen on two hands surely? Far easier to keep tabs on
>> as you can use the thumbs to point to the relevant
>> number?
>>
>> Dozens make perfect sense, far more than tens..
>>
>> 1 gross (+12) is the largest number you can count to on
>> two hands in base
>> 12.
>
> I'm obviously missing the joke here, but... how!

Assuming you have a complete set of fingers..

Each joint on the finger acts as a reference point so
you can count three on the first finger, three on the
second, three on the third and three on the fourth
making a round dozen.

With the other hand you count dozens.

1 dozen, 2 dozen etc. till you get to a dozen dozen = 1
gross and you still have a hand free to add 12 more.

Having the units divided into four groups allows a quick
reckoning of eg. 5 and a half dozen..

Definitely not SI..

..d

Simon Brooke wrote:

> A century in three hours is 33mph, which seems to me
> indecently quick.

It is. Especially considering the RTTC hundred mile record
currently stands at 3:23:33...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

in message <[email protected]>, Dave Larrington
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> A century in three hours is 33mph, which seems to me
>> indecently quick.
>
> It is. Especially considering the RTTC hundred mile record
> currently stands at 3:23:33...

That would be Alan Holmes, I presume?

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

'Victories are not solutions.' ;; John Hume,
Northern Irish politician, on Radio Scotland 1/2/95
;; Nobel Peace Prize laureate 1998; few have
deserved it so much

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:35:19 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>>> A century in three hours is 33mph, which seems to me
>>> indecently quick.

>> It is. Especially considering the RTTC hundred mile
>> record currently stands at 3:23:33...

>That would be Alan Holmes, I presume?

With full panniers for a week's tour, obv.

Guy
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

David Martin [email protected] opined the
following...
> Assuming you have a complete set of fingers..
>
> Each joint on the finger acts as a reference point so
> you can count three on the first finger, three on the
> second, three on the third and three on the fourth
> making a round dozen.
>
> With the other hand you count dozens.
>
> 1 dozen, 2 dozen etc. till you get to a dozen dozen = 1
> gross and you still have a hand free to add 12 more.
>
> Having the units divided into four groups allows a quick
> reckoning of eg. 5 and a half dozen..

Depending on flexibility of the thumb, one could also count
using the base of each finger, thus taking it to base 16. A
convenient alpha- numerical system has already been worked
out for this one. Thus one can count to FF.

> Definitely not SI..

Definately not.

Jon

"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David Martin [email protected] opined the
> following...
> > Assuming you have a complete set of fingers..
> >
> > Each joint on the finger acts as a reference point so
> > you can count three on the first finger, three on the
> > second, three on the third and three on the fourth
> > making a round dozen.
> >
> > With the other hand you count dozens.
> >
> > 1 dozen, 2 dozen etc. till you get to a dozen dozen = 1
> > gross and you still have a hand free to add 12 more.
> >
> > Having the units divided into four groups allows a quick
> > reckoning of eg. 5 and a half dozen..
>
> Depending on flexibility of the thumb, one could also
> count using the base of each finger, thus taking it to
> base 16. A convenient alpha- numerical system has already
> been worked out for this one. Thus one can count to FF.

And if one uses one's elbows, and add the fact that one can
wrinkle one's nose, bend one's knees, and clench one's butt?

Don't say there isn't a description on a website somewhere!

> > Definitely not SI..
>
> Definately not.

Could I just add, definitely not SI?

:)