Fix it up or buy something else?

I'm wanting to get into bicycling for general fitness and perhaps
commuting. A friend gave me a couple of old Huffy mountain bikes that
he was no longer using. Yeah, I know they don't have the best
reputation but free is a good thing.

Anyway, one of them has a chainwheel that doesn't spin true which is
causing problems in shifting. I think I get only half the gears that I
should.

Also on the front brakes one of the pads doesn't press flat against the
rim. Perhaps the caliper (not sure if that's the correct name for the
part) is bent? The other brake pad on the front presses flat just fine.

So I'm trying to determine if I should attempt to fix this bike or just
buy a different bike. There's a non-profit organization that refurbs
and sells used bikes for about $100. They're pretty particular as to
the kind of bikes they accept as donations, for example they don't
accept Huffys, so I'd probably get a pretty decent bike for that
amount.

I don't mind spending the time and money fixing up the bike I have. But
if I end up spending > $100 on parts and still have an inferior bike I
guess I'd rather just go buy a used one that's higher quality.

Any thoughts?

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm wanting to get into bicycling for general fitness and perhaps
> commuting. A friend gave me a couple of old Huffy mountain bikes that
> he was no longer using. Yeah, I know they don't have the best
> reputation but free is a good thing.
>
> Anyway, one of them has a chainwheel that doesn't spin true which is
> causing problems in shifting. I think I get only half the gears that I
> should.
>
> Also on the front brakes one of the pads doesn't press flat against the
> rim. Perhaps the caliper (not sure if that's the correct name for the
> part) is bent? The other brake pad on the front presses flat just fine.
>

> So I'm trying to determine if I should attempt to fix this bike or just
> buy a different bike. There's a non-profit organization that refurbs
> and sells used bikes for about $100. They're pretty particular as to
> the kind of bikes they accept as donations, for example they don't
> accept Huffys, so I'd probably get a pretty decent bike for that
> amount.
>
> I don't mind spending the time and money fixing up the bike I have. But
> if I end up spending > $100 on parts and still have an inferior bike I
> guess I'd rather just go buy a used one that's higher quality.
>
> Any thoughts?

You know the answer. You say it yourself.
Huffy's are generally reviled. There are some posters here who will
come to their defense but
"free is good" doesn't hold true if the item is of little or no value
and most folks find Huffy's to be worthless.. Go out and get your self
a decent, servicable bike and enjoy riding.

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm wanting to get into bicycling for general fitness and perhaps
> commuting. A friend gave me a couple of old Huffy mountain bikes that
> he was no longer using. Yeah, I know they don't have the best
> reputation but free is a good thing.
>
> Anyway, one of them has a chainwheel that doesn't spin true which is
> causing problems in shifting. I think I get only half the gears that I
> should.
>
> Also on the front brakes one of the pads doesn't press flat against the
> rim. Perhaps the caliper (not sure if that's the correct name for the
> part) is bent? The other brake pad on the front presses flat just fine.
>

> So I'm trying to determine if I should attempt to fix this bike or just
> buy a different bike. There's a non-profit organization that refurbs
> and sells used bikes for about $100. They're pretty particular as to
> the kind of bikes they accept as donations, for example they don't
> accept Huffys, so I'd probably get a pretty decent bike for that
> amount.
>
> I don't mind spending the time and money fixing up the bike I have. But
> if I end up spending > $100 on parts and still have an inferior bike I
> guess I'd rather just go buy a used one that's higher quality.
>
> Any thoughts?

Huffy's are true pieces of ****. Don't waste your energy on them. Get
the used and refurbished ride.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm wanting to get into bicycling for general fitness and perhaps
> commuting. A friend gave me a couple of old Huffy mountain bikes that
> he was no longer using. Yeah, I know they don't have the best
> reputation but free is a good thing.
>
> Anyway, one of them has a chainwheel that doesn't spin true which is
> causing problems in shifting. I think I get only half the gears that I
> should.
>
> Also on the front brakes one of the pads doesn't press flat against the
> rim. Perhaps the caliper (not sure if that's the correct name for the
> part) is bent? The other brake pad on the front presses flat just fine.
>

> So I'm trying to determine if I should attempt to fix this bike or just
> buy a different bike. There's a non-profit organization that refurbs
> and sells used bikes for about $100. They're pretty particular as to
> the kind of bikes they accept as donations, for example they don't
> accept Huffys, so I'd probably get a pretty decent bike for that
> amount.
>
> I don't mind spending the time and money fixing up the bike I have. But
> if I end up spending > $100 on parts and still have an inferior bike I
> guess I'd rather just go buy a used one that's higher quality.
>
> Any thoughts?

It all depends. Like is it the equivalent of their 53.99 bike? If so, give
it back. This model is pure junk. The Deraillers are junk, the break arms
bend under use, etc.. The only saving grace is that the frame and front
forks are so heavy that it would survive a direct nuclear attack. The cost
of upgrading this thing to a decent bike is much more expensive thasn going
out and buying a decent one.

If it is the equiv of the 139.99+ bike then you probalby got shumo hardware
(a good thing) plus, it will probably have a decent frame and front forks
that wasn't made by a heavy industrial bridge builder. I ride one of these,
myself and have even converted it to a low speed electric bicycle where I
can pedal if I wish or not. Then again, you should see my new project, the
Schwinn Low speed electric Chopper (which, by the way, is made by huffy).

Then again, you can go to a reputable bike shop and spend at least 200 bucks
for a decent bike as well.

Daryl Hunt wrote:
> Like is it the equivalent of their 53.99 bike?

Is that $53.99? Can you really buy a new bike for that in the USA?! That's
about £28 in the UK, about what I paid for my last pair of handlebars plus
tape.

I can only imagine the quality would be awful, but the price is starting.

--
Jim

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 11:58:59 +0100, Jim Higson <[email protected]> wrote:

>Daryl Hunt wrote:
>> Like is it the equivalent of their 53.99 bike?

>Is that $53.99? Can you really buy a new bike for that in the USA?! That's
>about £28 in the UK, about what I paid for my last pair of handlebars plus
>tape.
>
>I can only imagine the quality would be awful, but the price is starting.

No, you can't buy a bike for that. You can buy something that looks
like a bike. You get what you pay for.

"Jim Higson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Daryl Hunt wrote:
>> Like is it the equivalent of their 53.99 bike?

> Is that $53.99? Can you really buy a new bike for that in the USA?! That's
> about £28 in the UK, about what I paid for my last pair of handlebars plus
> tape.
>
> I can only imagine the quality would be awful, but the price is starting.

Yes you can, thanks to the virtual slave labor available in Chinese bike
factories.

"Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jim Higson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Daryl Hunt wrote:
>>> Like is it the equivalent of their 53.99 bike?

>> Is that $53.99? Can you really buy a new bike for that in the USA?!
>> That's
>> about £28 in the UK, about what I paid for my last pair of handlebars
>> plus
>> tape.
>>
>> I can only imagine the quality would be awful, but the price is starting.

> Yes you can, thanks to the virtual slave labor available in Chinese bike
> factories.

Yes, and the fact the brake arms bend when you use them until they bend
forward. Not a way to stop when needed. But, no problem, just buy another
one every 4 months or so.

Gooserider wrote:

>> Is that $53.99? Can you really buy a new bike for that in the USA?!
>> That's about £28 in the UK, about what I paid for my last pair of
>> handlebars plus tape.
>>
>> I can only imagine the quality would be awful, but the price is starting.

Btw, that should have been "startling"

> Yes you can, thanks to the virtual slave labor available in Chinese bike
> factories.

I'm sure that plays a big part in the low price, but are labour conditions
any better for more expensive bits made in the far east (Shimano etc)?

In clothing at least, an expensive retail price doesn't mean the factory
conditions were any better. Is the situation similar for bikes/components?

--
Jim

If you plan to commute, your best bet will be a decent used touring
bike, which will accomodate fenders and panniers (fancy name for "bike
bags").

For general fitness, anything will work, but you'll have more fun and
will be more likely to keep at it if you have something that's of
pretty good quality. There's also the matter of safety and reliability
- something your inherited Huffy is lacking.

A decent touring bike can probably be had on Ebay for around $150-$200.
It'll likely need a few things like a lube/tune up...maybe some new
brake pads. The frame might have a few scratches. The derailleurs
might need adjusting. But all of that can be done farily cheaply (or
for free if you have some basic tools).

Another point I'd like to make is that it's usually cheaper and safer
in the long run to get something of quality than to spend money fixing
or replacing a piece of junk.

I buy used bikes at yard sales, fix them up and resell them.

I learned early on not to bother with even "free" bicycles that were
cheap to begin with.

The price of parts are too expensive to make them worthwhile even if
one wants to argue they could have been worthwhile to begin. As it is,
your time is worthwhile too.

And even if you used used parts you've added no value anyway.

In my area right now, on the craigslist, there are two non-suspension
Specialized for sale.

I have a '96 myself. I bought it for 40US. After cleaning in up it
looked and still looks nearly new; and rides great, especially up
hills.

I didn't have to invest any money into it at all except for extras: a
Wald collapsable
basket for the rear attached to a Blackburn rack I already had and
Bontrager Comfort B tires to replace the knobbies it had.

The original Specialized saddle turned out to be a bit narrow for me so
I bought a more comfortable one.

In total I have $90-$100 wrapped up in it. Not bad for a very nice
daily commuter.

While, without even trying, I've been offered $400 for it, and I won't
take it.

Do yourself a favor, make the gift a gift to a teenager who is out to
wreck a bike anyway and check out the yard sales. Be patient and what
you need will find you.

On 5 Oct 2006 07:38:06 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I don't mind spending the time and money fixing up the bike I have. But
>if I end up spending > $100 on parts and still have an inferior bike I
>guess I'd rather just go buy a used one that's higher quality.
>
>Any thoughts?

IMO, you money would be better spent on a refurb of a decent bike than
on trying to make that sow's ear of a Huffy into a ragged kitschy
polyester belt pack with a plastic buckle. (It'll *never* be a silk
purse, no matter what you do.)

I have several such bikes myself, and I've gone through numerous
attempts at rehab of both good bikes and Huffy-quality units for
myself and others. It's much easier to get a good result with good
materials than when you're starting with something that wasn't good to
begin with.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

<SNIP>

> So I'm trying to determine if I should attempt to fix this bike or just
> buy a different bike. There's a non-profit organization that refurbs
> and sells used bikes for about $100. They're pretty particular as to
> the kind of bikes they accept as donations, for example they don't
> accept Huffys, so I'd probably get a pretty decent bike for that
> amount.
>
> I don't mind spending the time and money fixing up the bike I have. But
> if I end up spending > $100 on parts and still have an inferior bike I
> guess I'd rather just go buy a used one that's higher quality.
>
> Any thoughts?

You can buy quality used bikes at thrift stores for $15. I have bought
Raleighs, Schwinns, Nishikis, & Centurions at thrift stores. I have
found Treks, Peugeots, Giants, & Fujis for under $100 at flea markets.
A friend picked up a carbon fiber frame for $15 at a Goodwill. There
are good deals to be found. These bikes will probably need a saddle,
tires and a few cables but you'll still be under $100 and you'll learn
how to work on your bike.

You could probably get the parts to fix your Huffy at Wal-Mart and use
it until you find a quality bike at a good price.

Be sure to get a good lock once you upgrade from the Huffy. Quality
bikes tend to roll away if they're not secured.

Good luck!

Mike