Flat bar to drop bars done!

rockitj

Oct 15, 2004
I have an '04 Specialized Sirrus that I have just finished converting to drop bars. I use the bike primarily as a commuter and bad weather bike. It was easy enough to do and I'm really satisfied with the results. Now the fit on this bike is very close to that of my Roubaix. The components I changed were: 42mm Ritchey Logic Comp bars ($18.00 ebay), Sora STI shifters ($89.00 ebay), Cinelli cork tape ($6.00 ebay), Specialized 4 position stem ($38.00 new), and I added Travel Agents (doubler pulleys) to the V brakes so that they would work with the Sora brake levers. I have fenders on the way but they haven't arrived yet. See attached pics...

This is similar to what I want to do with my Sedona.

Can anyone tell me if the Sora STI shifters will work with an Alivio derailleur?

Other than potential incompatability is there any advantage in moving to a long cage Sora derailleur from Alivio?

dgregory57 said:

Can anyone tell me if the Sora STI shifters will work with an Alivio derailleur?

Other than potential incompatability is there any advantage in moving to a long cage Sora derailleur from Alivio?
The Sirrus came with a Deore 52/42/30 front and Tiagra 8 speed 12/25 rear and I didn't have to change anything. Don't know about the Alivio, maybe the LBS could tell you. If you have road gears it should be OK, if you have mountain gearing than it might not be compatible with STI. You can always go with bar end shifters and road brake levers, that was my plan B. Hope this helps...

rockitj said:
The Sirrus came with a Deore 52/42/30 front and Tiagra 8 speed 12/25 rear and I didn't have to change anything. Don't know about the Alivio, maybe the LBS could tell you. If you have road gears it should be OK, if you have mountain gearing than it might not be compatible with STI. You can always go with bar end shifters and road brake levers, that was my plan B. Hope this helps...
I believe the Alivio is a mountain derailleur, so that is why I asked. I would have thought that gear spacing would be the same, but when I read online recently some discussion of 1:1 and 2:1 in reference to shifters and derailleurs I thought I should check on the comatibility issues.

I think I would be happier with something lke the Sora STI levers, but if I keep the shifters and brake levers seperate I can get a brake handle specifically designed to work with V brakes, and avoid the need for travel agents... and probably getit done a little bit cheaper.

Since I notice the Sora derailleur is available pretty affordably, I am not too concerned about changing deraileurs if I do decide to go with STI, but with my current financial situation every little bit helps! ;)

dgregory57 said:
I believe the Alivio is a mountain derailleur, so that is why I asked. I would have thought that gear spacing would be the same, but when I read online recently some discussion of 1:1 and 2:1 in reference to shifters and derailleurs I thought I should check on the comatibility issues.

I think I would be happier with something lke the Sora STI levers, but if I keep the shifters and brake levers seperate I can get a brake handle specifically designed to work with V brakes, and avoid the need for travel agents... and probably getit done a little bit cheaper.

Since I notice the Sora derailleur is available pretty affordably, I am not too concerned about changing deraileurs if I do decide to go with STI, but with my current financial situation every little bit helps! ;)
That 1:1 and 2:1 ratio discussion sounds familiar. I think it was in reference to SRAM compatibility with Shimano. SRAM has some shifters and rear derailleurs that are 1:1 and they aren't compatible with Shimano's 2:1. However, there is no compatibility issue that I'm aware of between SRAM and Shim for FRONT derailleurs.

If Rockitj was able to get his Sora shifters to work with an Alivio then you shouldn't have any problems with Deore. I'd double check first but I'm pretty sure you'll be OK.

Meant to say ... If Rockitj was able to get his Sora shifters to work with a Deore then you shouldn't have any problems with Alivio. I'd double check first but I'm pretty sure you'll be OK.

It may just be me but in the picture it looks like the rear rack is on backwards. I am not trying to start nothing, I just always thought they went the other way.

Ray Dockrey said:
It may just be me but in the picture it looks like the rear rack is on backwards. I am not trying to start nothing, I just always thought they went the other way.

Sorry Ray, you are mistaken.

That looks to me like a Blackburn Mountain rack. Regardless of brand, it is installed correctly.

I am very sorry. I always thought the kickup went to the back. Tells you what I know. Thanks for setting me straight.

Ray Dockrey said:
I am very sorry. I always thought the kickup went to the back. Tells you what I know. Thanks for setting me straight.
No problem, you did make me go take a look at it though. The rack can't be mounted any other way. The top is only drilled for the mounting hardware on one end. Cheers.

Ray Dockrey said:

Ray, don't feel bad. I appreciate anyone who is willing to ask a question because it shows you want to learn. Welcome to this forum, by the way and I hope you continue to learn here like I do.

Cheers

rockitj said:
I have an '04 Specialized Sirrus that I have just finished converting to drop bars. I use the bike primarily as a commuter and bad weather bike. It was easy enough to do and I'm really satisfied with the results. Now the fit on this bike is very close to that of my Roubaix. The components I changed were: 42mm Ritchey Logic Comp bars ($18.00 ebay), Sora STI shifters ($89.00 ebay), Cinelli cork tape ($6.00 ebay), Specialized 4 position stem ($38.00 new), and I added Travel Agents (doubler pulleys) to the V brakes so that they would work with the Sora brake levers. I have fenders on the way but they haven't arrived yet. See attached pics...

Nicely done conversion. I congratulate you on work well done. May your ride please you more this way.

Hi,

I'm new here, I have a Giant CRX1 (05) black, great bike but...

I would love to ditch the flat bar and put on drop bars, flat bars are terrible for climbing.. I think so anyway. I spend all my time riding using the extensions, that my hands are no where close to the brakes.. not so good in traffic.

My ride is a daily commute of 15kms each way or so.

are the brake cable lengths different after conversion?

so i would need bars, shifters (um.. where are these?) and brake levers, and a conversion for my V brakes?

any help appreciated.

Im in Sydney Australia.

Cheers

Ed

Neat conversion job - well done. Any bad weather bike for me would have to come with full guards (fenders) once you have them installed you are ready for anything.

Black Cat said:
Neat conversion job - well done. Any bad weather bike for me would have to come with full guards (fenders) once you have them installed you are ready for anything.
Thank you. I have since added black fenders from Planet Bike and am ready for just about anything. It was 32 degrees on the way in this morning, but it warmed up to 60 this afternoon with winds of 25 mph. I plan to commute as much as possible right through the winter.

dgregory57 said:

short answer : yes

Sora is better quality ( ie more expensive )