Flat bars to drop bars

thesuburbanite

May 8, 2012
Hey guys,

I don't know much, but I'm looking to change my flat bars to drop bars. Right now I have below bar shifters (microShifters, I believe that's what they're called, like Shimano RapidFires?) and normal brake levers (not sure what they're called on a flat bar) and I have a drop bar.

I did a bit of research and know that I have to change the bike levers to drop bar levers, but I don't know what type of shifters I should use. I don't really want to spend a lot of money on STI shifters so I was looking at the alternatives such as bar-end shifters.

I'm used to indexed shifting so I don't know how I'd fare with friction shifting. Would it be possible to just use my microShifters on the drop bars instead? Or would it a better idea to use bar-end shifters or other alternatives?

Thanks in advance

Here we go again. The title of this thread should be "Can of Worms."

First, your hybrid probably has linear pull brakes and Shimano MTB derailleurs, levers, and cassette. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

There are myriad issues with getting road brake levers to work with linear pull brake calipers and road shift levers (indexing) to work with MTB chainring spacing and MTB front derailleurs. Personally, I don't think it's worth the bother, especially if you don't already have a trunk full of spare parts. You already have one leg up, though. MicroShift shifters and derailleurs are compatible with Shimano, MTB with MTB and road with road.

But there is one guy who posts here frequently who lives for this stuff and will be glad to walk you through the whole process. Alfeng, where are you?

Haha again, I don't know much about this stuff.

Would it be okay to just keep the MicroShifts and just change the brake levers? Or would I be better off with changing the shifters as well? I could get used to friction shifting.

First, your local shop can order good inexpensive brake levers for drop bars, or you can shop around online.

As for pulling cable, the levers will need help. The solution is Travel Agents, made by the company Problem Solvers. Here's the link: http://problemsolversbike.com/products/travel_agents/. Problem Solvers distributes to bike shops through the wholesaler QBP, and QBP part numbers are listed on the page. Since your levers won't have adjusters, I recommend BR0400 or BR0411.

For a handlebar, just make sure the the straight section on the drops is long enough to accommodate your grip shifters, and the diameter of the center section matches the clamp of your stem, or if you're replacing the stem, the stem is compatible with your fork and headset. The local bike shop can help you sort this out. If you're a complete newb, pay to have them perform the installation too.

Why do you want to go to drop bars? Have you considered trekking bars which are compatible with all of your current components?

oldbobcat said:
Here we go again. The title of this thread should be "Can of Worms." First, your hybrid probably has linear pull brakes and Shimano MTB derailleurs, levers, and cassette. Correct me if I'm mistaken. There are myriad issues with getting road brake levers to work with linear pull brake calipers and road shift levers (indexing) to work with MTB chainring spacing and MTB front derailleurs. Personally, I don't think it's worth the bother, especially if you don't already have a trunk full of spare parts. You already have one leg up, though. MicroShift shifters and derailleurs are compatible with Shimano, MTB with MTB and road with road. But there is one guy who posts here frequently who lives for this stuff and will be glad to walk you through the whole process. Alfeng, where are you?
Hey, wait ...

IMO, better than using TRAVEL AGENTS is to use MINI V-brake calipers ...

FYI. The clamp on most MTB brake levers will not sleeve onto a Road handlebar ...

• steel Road handlebars, however, will be okay ...

BUT, before changing the to Road handlebars, presuming that there is some "rise" on your FLAT Bars, try inverting them ...

The inverted mid-section (i.e., the "rise") may provide an adequate alternate hand position which is otherwise absent when the bars are installed normally.

• for the moment, I have an inverted (~2.5" rise) FLAT BAR on one of my unfinished "project" bikes ... currently, angled forward at not quite 40º downard

OTHERWISE ...

In addition to deciding which WIDTH & BEND you want for a set of Road handlebars, you will probably want a stem which is about 5cm shorter than your bike's current stem UNLESS you are currently feeling cramped on your current setup.

If cost is "no object" then the easy "solution" would be to buy

1. a set of Shimano Tiagra-or-better shifters
  2. an appropriate Shimano Road FRONT derailleur for the particular drivetrain (i.e., 8-or-9-speed).

Of course, MY suggestion which 'I' feel is both the most economical & which 'I' feel yields better shifting is to buy a set of 10-speed Campagnolo shifters ... it's a Win-Win choice, IMO.

The 10-speed Campagnolo shifters can recreate 8-or-9-speed Shimano indexing when mated to an 8-or-9-speed Shimano rear derailleur.

The Campagnolo shifters can be used with almost any front derailleur.

• The shifters, regardless of whether Campagnolo or Shimano are chosen, will be less expensive on eBay.

11-speed Campagnolo shifters + 8-/9-speed Shimano rear derailleur can recreate 8-/9-/10-speed Shimano indexing.