Float. How much?

Dr.Hairybiker

Aug 23, 2004
I've seen this kicked around a little on different threads, but never discussed directly. Most quality pedals have some float nowadays, some are adjustable. How do you recognize how much float you want? Seems that some people want infinite float, IE: riding on ice. I personally like about 5-6 degrees, as my right knee is loose, and I want something to stop it from rotating when I'm mashing/climbing out of the saddle. That's my theory anyways, but I haven't tried many different kinds of pedals. What kinds of problems can be caused from having too much float? Everyone seems to love Speedplays, because of all the float. Is it the more float, the better, for most? If you ask me, I wouldn't want my foot to rotate more than 10 degrees or so while I'm pedalling. Seems like it would cause problems. Does anyone dislike float in general?

After riding with older Look pedals with the black cleats for a long time I find float very hard to get used to. I've tried pedals with float a few times, and always feel like my feet are flopping around all over the place. Never had any problems with my knees, you just have to make sure you get the cleats lined up correctly.

I would guess the people that like lots of float (1) have natural foot rotation during their pedal stroke and find limited float causes knee/other discomfort, and (2) tend to spin rather than mash (the feeling of pedaling on ice isn't really there at ~90 rpm levels). Speedplay is probably also popular with folks because to the easy of entry and dual-sidedness.

eric_the_red said:
After riding with older Look pedals with the black cleats for a long time I find float very hard to get used to. I've tried pedals with float a few times, and always feel like my feet are flopping around all over the place. Never had any problems with my knees, you just have to make sure you get the cleats lined up correctly.
I used Look with black (non-floating) cleats for a long time before switching to Speedplays on my new bike. Never had knee problems, but had read several places that float was good for the knees.

At first, the free-float feature seemed like I was pedaling on ice cubes, but after the first few rides that feeling is gone. I got the Zeros (w/adjustable stops) since I was concerned about having too much float, but that's really a non-issue. You only use as much float as you need, so excess float capability in the pedal doesn't matter.

I used the Shimano Look-style pedal for 13 years. Then I tried SPDs for 2. Now I use Speedplay X2s. Without a doubt, the X2s are the best for me. My right knee does not point perfectly straight; i.e., right foot is canted slightly outward. Without float, I can feel the pressure of the spring trying to force the knee back. I don't like that anymore. With the X2s, I have much much less right knee issues. My normal cadence is 92-108 so I don't have the "pedal on ice" issue that mashers tend to have.

I'm all ready to now switch the Mtn bike to Frogs now ...

Best.