Folding Bike weight limits...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Fr Jack, May 13, 2008.

  1. Fr Jack

    Fr Jack Guest

    Are they to be taken seriously?

    After doing more thinking(and extending my budget to £350), I've had a
    look at folding bikes and quite fancy either of these:

    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/11520/Dahon_Glide_P8_Folding_Bike_2007
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/14974/Dahon_Vitesse_D7HG_Bike_2008

    But they say "max weight 105kg". I've never seen this before and I'm a
    smidgen over that (at the moment, though cycling will help reduce
    this).

    I don't see such weight limits on "normal" open frame bikes.

    Anyone care to enlighten me?
    --

    Fr. Jack

    The ex(un)civil servant

    Tags:

  2. On Tue, 13 May 2008 18:13:13 +0100, Fr Jack wrote:

    > I don't see such weight limits on "normal" open frame bikes.
    >
    > Anyone care to enlighten me?

    The Aldi unicycles came with a weight limit of 85kg although mine hasn't
    broken yet.

    All bikes will have a limit to the amount of force they can take although
    it's unlikely to be as straightforward as 'the mass of the rider' -
    bouncing while pedalling, riding off kerbs, hitting potholes etc. will
    increase the amount of force going through the bike so there's likely to
    be a big factor of safety on whatever is quoted (10 was a typical figure
    quoted by an engineer for the FOS used on designing machinery!)

    peter

  3. On Tue, 13 May 2008 18:13:13 +0100, Fr Jack <[email protected]> said in
    <[email protected]>:

    >http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/11520/Dahon_Glide_P8_Folding_Bike_2007
    >http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/14974/Dahon_Vitesse_D7HG_Bike_2008
    >
    >But they say "max weight 105kg". I've never seen this before and I'm a
    >smidgen over that (at the moment, though cycling will help reduce
    >this).
    >I don't see such weight limits on "normal" open frame bikes.
    >Anyone care to enlighten me?

    The Dahons are aluminium and have very long stem and seat posts, so
    a heavy or strong rider will experience quite a bit of flex. Not as
    bad as a Bickerton, which was made of noodles, but more than a Brom,
    which is surprisingly rigid even when ridden hard.

    Try one, see how you get on. If you don't hammer it I am sure it
    will be fine.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  4. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2008 23:10:31 +0100
    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 May 2008 18:13:13 +0100, Fr Jack <[email protected]> said in
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/11520/Dahon_Glide_P8_Folding_Bike_2007
    > >http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/14974/Dahon_Vitesse_D7HG_Bike_2008
    > >
    > >But they say "max weight 105kg". I've never seen this before and I'm
    > >a smidgen over that (at the moment, though cycling will help reduce
    > >this).
    > >I don't see such weight limits on "normal" open frame bikes.
    > >Anyone care to enlighten me?

    > The Dahons are aluminium and have very long stem and seat posts, so
    > a heavy or strong rider will experience quite a bit of flex. Not as
    > bad as a Bickerton, which was made of noodles, but more than a Brom,
    > which is surprisingly rigid even when ridden hard.

    I'll second that. I'm moderately heavy (eightysomething Kg) and
    ride moderately hard, the latter due to living in a hilly area
    (Dartmoor being a large part of it). I have a Dahon folder,
    and while it's fine in terms of having the low gears, it's a
    bit delicate and way too soft for a good ride. And the
    wheel quality certainly leaves something to be desired.

    My friend one valley away has a Brompton and is happier with it.
    But he's smaller than me, and a less demanding rider (doesn't
    take it on the serious hills).

    --
    not me guv

  5. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    On May 13, 6:13 pm, Fr Jack <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't see such weight limits on "normal" open frame bikes.

    You would if you wanted to buy a stupidly light racing bike, as in
    well under
    the UCI minimum, but I suppose that wouldn't count as "normal"
    either. :)

    --
    Dave...