Food snob?

Ward Abbott wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:31:49 -0500, Dave Smith
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>It is hard not to be
>>judgmental when you see two fat slobs like that and the reason why they are both
>>so incredibly fat.
>>

> And what just makes me want to scream is when they have the nerve to
> pay for their food with your money, i.e. food stamps. I just want to
> scream out...."now turn around and thank everyone in line for paying
> for your ****!"

Ward, I have a question for you. Have you ever been on the receiving
end of assistance? I've been fortunate enought to have not been for
many reasons but one thing I learned very early in life is never kick a
horse when it is down. Misfortune happens and not when we want it.

dee wrote:

> The Ranger wrote:
>
>>On 18 Mar 2006 08:13:44 -0800, "dee" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I'd feel so ashamed if I said such things about my
>>>friend on an ng..

>>You have other reasons for being so ashamed.
>>
>>The Ranger
>>---
>>"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
>>I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
>>terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
>>them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
>>unfairness of the universe."
>>-+-+-+ Marcus, 'A Late Delivery From Avalon', Babylon 5

> ...yeah, sometimes I act like the meal is more important then the
> person..

IMO, and please don't take this the wrong way, but the person is always
more important than anything else. Always, always, always. We have a
lot of wonderful people in our lives from family to friends to
acquaintenances. They all enrich our lives. Food just helps that
happen sometimes :)

The Ranger wrote:

> On 18 Mar 2006 08:38:21 -0800, "dee" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>The Ranger wrote:

>>>You have other reasons for being so ashamed.
>>>

>>..yeah, sometimes I act like the meal is more important
>>then the person..

> ....And sometimes you don't act at all... So many other reasons to hang
> your head.

Hey now, dee was sharing some very real feelings here. Nothing is to be
gained by making her feel guilty. I'm sure she is a good friend just
ranting based on emotion and there is nothing wrong with that. Tis
better she does it here than say it directly to her friend and some of
the comments she gets may help her see it in a new perspective.

Ward Abbott wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:31:49 -0500, Dave Smith
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > It is hard not to be
> >judgmental when you see two fat slobs like that and the reason why they are both
> >so incredibly fat.
> >

> And what just makes me want to scream is when they have the nerve to
> pay for their food with your money, i.e. food stamps. I just want to
> scream out...."now turn around and thank everyone in line for paying
> for your ****!"

We don't have food stamps here, but it would be a safe bet that they were on
welfare. they sure didn't look like they had enough ambition to get off the couch to
look for a job. Just please don't give me the line about hormone problems or not
being blessed with a body type that allows them to eat and not gain wait. These two
were fat because they stuff themselves with high calorie pop and junk food by the
cart load. The government would probably be doing them a favour if they cut them off
welfare and made them get off their asses and do something.

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:31:40 +0000, Henhouse wrote:

> A friend of mine accused me of being a food snob the other day. Why?

I don't know.... you must have said something.

> Because I don't buy processed food, and never go to fast food eateries.
> I also always buy free range chicken and use either eggs from our own
> free range chooks, or bought duck eggs. I also buy organic foods from
> time to time, and try to buy seasonally and locally (being aware of food
> miles etc.) Does this really make me a food snob? I feel quite insulted,
> to tell you the truth - I don't dictate what others should eat, I just
> make the choices I prefer. I enjoy cooking and have the time to spend
> doing it, plus access to great local produce - I'm not sure why this
> could be seen as wrong in some way!

Perhaps you talk endlessly about it and appear to be bragging or have
a holier than thou attitude?

> My friend got quite heated about it all, and told me that if I'd got
> four kids and was working full time, I'd soon change my ways and opt for
> foods I could just stick in the microwave (not that she has the four
> kids etc., just the one 25yr old son). I'm not likely to ever find
> myself in that position, but I imagine that if I had children I'd be
> even more concerned about the foods they were eating than I am about my
> own. I could be wrong, of course!

Maybe she's overly sensitive, but why would she be if you two never
discussed that topic?

> This is the same friend who is happy to come to dinner at my house, but
> who refuses to return the favour, as she is 'frightened' of cooking for
> me, as I am (allegedly) good at it - LOL! I'd be happy with beans on
> toast, if someone else had cooked it - but that's by the by.

My friends don't call me a food snob, but they do laugh about what a
"gourmet cook" (their words, not mine) I am compared to them... it
doesn't hurt my feelings and I don't tell them what they should cook
or how to do it unless asked first.

> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else here has suffered a similar
> accusation, and had any good arguments with which to refute it? Or
> perhaps you think my friend is right and I'm just too precious about the
> whole topic? Opinions welcomed!

Leave it alone, in fact drop the entire topic... if you want to stay
friends with her, that is. If you don't care, beat the topic into the
ground and make her feel lower than dirt. It's your choice.

zxcvbob wrote:

> Henhouse wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine accused me of being a food snob the other day...

> Someone started the "food snob" thread again. :-(
>
> We might as well crosspost this to the cardio group and flood them with
> our irritating rightousness for a while. Turn about is fair play.
>
> Regards,
> Bob

<snicker> Oh the temptation is so great and I'd love too but behaving I
cut the cross post. Sorry, being the *food snob* I am, I don't really
need them telling me how to eat my steak (or rabbit as the case might be
LOL)

Henhouse wrote:
> A friend of mine accused me of being a food snob the other day. Why?
> Because I don't buy processed food, and never go to fast food eateries.
> I also always buy free range chicken and use either eggs from our own
> free range chooks, or bought duck eggs. I also buy organic foods from
> time to time, and try to buy seasonally and locally (being aware of food
> miles etc.) Does this really make me a food snob? I feel quite insulted,
> to tell you the truth - I don't dictate what others should eat, I just
> make the choices I prefer. I enjoy cooking and have the time to spend
> doing it, plus access to great local produce - I'm not sure why this
> could be seen as wrong in some way!

The only thing wrong here is that you feel insulted. My response to
that would have been, "Thank you very much, you're right, I do enjoy
good food, well prepared."

> My friend got quite heated about it all, and told me that if I'd got
> four kids and was working full time, I'd soon change my ways and opt for
> foods I could just stick in the microwave [snip]

To which, the response is, "Only if getting four kids made me stupid
and lazy."

> This is the same friend who is happy to come to dinner at my house, but
> who refuses to return the favour, as she is 'frightened' of cooking for
> me, [snip]

That's too bad. Apparently you've criticized her cooking?

> Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else here has suffered a similar
> accusation, and had any good arguments with which to refute it? [snip]

No. Our friends know I enjoy good food, interesting menus, and
exercising kitchen skills. I don't impose my ways on them or criticize
those who aren't as interested in the details and subtleties. -aem

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

> I have found thru experience there have usually been deep reasons for
> friends disapproving of my life style. I've had many people who will
> - to my face - say derisive things. I would have rather them said
> them behind my back and just leave me alone with their opinions. If
> you have tender feelings, then you will always be upset by people who
> disapprove of what you think and do. Some people are born with tender
> feelings. If you are, be happy with that and judge your friends
> accordingly. Dee Dee

I don't know what your lifestyle is Dee. If you are as nice in person as
you are online, I already like you. It's taken me 30 years to get
comfortable in my lifestyle. I enjoy living my life as a gay man. Steven
and I have a wonderful life. To hell with those that disapprove.

Michael

--
"The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

--Calvin Trillin

D.Currie wrote:

> [...]
>>wrong in some way!
>>
>>My friend got quite heated about it all, and told me that if I'd got four
>>kids and was working full time, I'd soon change my ways and opt for foods
>>I could just stick in the microwave (not that she has the four kids etc.,
>>just the one 25yr old son). I'm not likely to ever find myself in that
>>position, but I imagine that if I had children I'd be even more concerned
>>about the foods they were eating than I am about my own. I could be wrong,
>>of course!
>>
>>This is the same friend who is happy to come to dinner at my house, but
>>who refuses to return the favour, as she is 'frightened' of cooking for
>>me, as I am (allegedly) good at it - LOL! I'd be happy with beans on
>>toast, if someone else had cooked it - but that's by the by.
>>
>>Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else here has suffered a similar
>>accusation, and had any good arguments with which to refute it? Or perhaps
>>you think my friend is right and I'm just too precious about the whole
>>topic? Opinions welcomed!
>>
>>Jo

> This reminds me of a couple I know who have both, at one time or another,
> said to me "I eat to live, I don't live to eat..." While they don't actually
> point fingers at me and proclaim that I live to eat, this is the
> implication.
>
> When I picture someone who "eats to live" I think of someone who had little
> choice and who eats whatever is available. These people, on the other hand,
> are picky eaters, IMO. They each have a long list of things they won't eat.
>
> When I picture someone who "lives to eat" I picture someone for whom food is
> the entire goal. That's not me. I have plenty of other interests, and I can
> be quite happy with a simple meal. But I like to cook and I enjoy eating
> good food. I like spices and vegetables and ethnic foods, and a wide variety
> of things.
>
> What they mean by their statement is that they "sort of" disapprove of the
> time and effort I spend cooking. They don't understand the use of spices,
> and anything that can't be on the table with 20 minutes or less of effort
> isn't worth doing. They don't get the idea that I like to cook as much as
> they enjoy whatever hobbies they have that I'm not interested in, and that
> for me, cooking isn't a chore, it's enjoyable. And both DH and I enjoy a
> well-made meal, and we like different types of foods, ethnic foods, a wide
> range of things. We're not picky eaters at all.
>
> But while these folks seem to disapprove of the time I spend in the kitchen
> (or the time they imagine I spend in the kitchen -- there are a lot of
> fast-cooking dishes that I make that are fresh, tasty, and healthy) when
> they come here for dinner, they eat like ravenous wolves. I've seen them
> each eat 3-4 large helpings. And every time we're invited over there, I'm
> asked to bring a dozen or so fresh buns. Or a loaf of bread. Homemade, of

What I don't get is why it is anyone else's business how you spend your
time? If you want to spend your time cooking so be it. There's a lot
worse things you could be doing.

> I'd say that their "Live to eat" comment is like your friend's "Food snob"
> comment. You go through time and effort that your friend wouldn't bother
> with. If you want to keep this friend, just agree to disagree. If you think
> you can (or want to try to) change her opinion, invite her over to cook with
> you and whip up something fresh, easy and fast. When she sees that you can
> put a meal together in the same time it takes to nuke some nuggets and make
> mac 'n cheese, she might be interested. Or not.
>
> Donna

Dave Smith <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
posted news:[email protected]:

> It's scary to see what some people buy. A while ago I was in the
> checkout line at the grocery store behind a big fat lady and her big
> fat daughter. They had a cart full of cases of pop (not diet) potato
> chips chocolate bars, cookies and other snack foods and a small amount
> of prepared food. It is hard not to be judgmental when you see two
> fat slobs like that and the reason why they are both so incredibly
> fat.

Isn't it just. I'm not talking poor people either. Cookies, cakes etc.
along with chips, dip and stuff. It amazes me. Maybe it's just me with my
broccoli, Tilapia and other food.

Michael

--

jmcquown wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:

>>>I really try not to be judgemental about this kind of thing, but I've
>>>worked as a supermarket cashier and I've seen what people buy, food
>>>stamps or not. Now, my own dietary choices probably aren't the most
>>>stellar, but the sheer amount of **** people are happy with astounds
>>>me.
>>>

> Amen! Sure, I buy some prepared foods. Jarred pasta sauce is a case in
> point if I want a quick pasta meal. I buy a lot of frozen vegetables
> because the fresh are either not in season, look crappy or cost waaaay more
> than a pound bag of the frozen.
>
> And really, how hard is it for someone who doesn't know how to "cook" to
> read the directions on a package of frozen vegetables? Or a package of
> pasta and a jar of sauce?

Some on social assistant are believe it or not illeterate as in they
can't read. Some are mentally challenged and some are mentally ill but
because of the facilities that once helped them are closed they are now
forced to fend for themselves. What I find extremely interesting is
some can go through grade school, pass every grade, yet can't read.

>>It's scary to see what some people buy. A while ago I was in the
>>checkout line at the grocery store behind a big fat lady and her big
>>fat daughter. They had a cart full of cases of pop (not diet) potato
>>chips chocolate bars, cookies and other snack foods and a small
>>amount of prepared food.

> Unfortunately, this is true, and it doesn't matter how they are paying for
> the items in their cart. Some people just make really poor choices. I like
> chips. Fritos, potato chips, like that. But I don't keep bags and bags of
> them in the house. If I don't have them I can't eat them.

Would you want someone telling you what you can and can't eat or buy? I
have dietary restrictions and I can tell you I feel resentful sometimes.
Why shouldn't they, as autonomous persons, be allowed to make their
own decisions whether or not they meet anyone else's standards?

> On the flip side, however, we don't know what people might have in the
> freezer, fridge or pantry at home to offset what you see in their carts.
>
> As for what kili said about her friend's buying habits, she knows this woman
> pretty well and I know a bit about her from non-rfc conversations. I don't
> think the woman doesn't know *how* to do anything or that she doesn't have
> room for better food items; it's my impression she just likes to eat junk
> and call it dinner. And that's what she's teaching her daughter by
> extension.
>
> Jill

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> "Henhouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:p[email protected]...

> > (snippage)

> >> You're normal and your friend's an asshole. Next question.

> > Oh, pishtosh, Doug! Jo doesn't have assholes for friends. Her friend
> > is intimidated and envious and doesn't know how to say so without being
> > attacking.

> I don't buy it. In my first year of college, my friends and I took about 3
> days to realize that if we ate nothing but dorm food, we'd soon be dead. We

(snip)

> Books. We used books. Not only that, but we were smoking astounding
> quantities of pot, and we were STILL able to read the books.

You are entitled to your opinion, most certainly and we will not agree
and I won't push. I stand by my comments equally - that Jo doesn't have
assholes for friends, and that her friend is intimidated and envious and
doesn't know how to say so without being attacking. Someone once said
that the best defense is a good offense and I think it applies here (and
it does not presume that Jo has been attacking her).) Peace.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-17-2006, The $400K Condo in the

sarah bennett <[email protected]> wrote:

> Our lives are governed by the choices we make.

And sometimes by the choices others make for us.
--

~patches~ wrote:
> Ward Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:31:49 -0500, Dave Smith
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> It is hard not to be
>>> judgmental when you see two fat slobs like that and the reason why
>>> they are both so incredibly fat.
>>>

>> And what just makes me want to scream is when they have the nerve to
>> pay for their food with your money, i.e. food stamps. I just want to
>> scream out...."now turn around and thank everyone in line for paying
>> for your ****!"
>>

> Ward, I have a question for you. Have you ever been on the receiving
> end of assistance? I've been fortunate enought to have not been for
> many reasons but one thing I learned very early in life is never kick
> horse when it is down. Misfortune happens and not when we want it.

I'm not Ward and I've never been on government monetary assistance, but
there was a time in my life years ago when I was on the down-side and had to
accept food from the food bank. It was that or starve.

I was earning about $11,000 a year (gross, not net). My (ex-) husband
wouldn't bother holding a job. I didn't qualify for food stamps, I was just
struggling to keep the bills paid. When I had a few bucks to spend on
groceries, I'd buy (for example) whole chicken (cheap, like 19cents/lb);
canned or frozen veggies, stuff like that. You know, "food"; not "junk
food".

It's also easier to manage a food budget if when you have an extra couple of
dollars, you stock up on things like bags of rice, noodles, beans, and
staples like flour, etc. After that your only real outlay cost-wise is on
meats (if you want to eat meat). Watch for sales; clip coupons.

So yes, it's easy to criticize the choices some people make when you've been
there/done that but you didn't load your cart with sodas, cookies, and
things like frozen pizza rolls and chicken nuggets; those things aren't
cheap. I think that's the real objection here.

Jill

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> hitched up their
panties and posted
news:[email protected]:

>> Sibohnne (sp) said:
>> Goddess save me from "friends" like you.

>Barb said:
> Sweet Jesus! Siobbhan!! May I sit by you? It would be a pleasure to
> sit at your feet, Lady. Well said!! I salute you.

Maybe I missed something. Was this thread about food or wealth? I'm a big
time champion of the poor. If they are able to eat I'm grateful.

Michael

--

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Siobhan Perricone <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> An awful lot of the people I know who are on government assistance
>> don't have the time, kitchens, cooking implements, or skills to do
>> what would be needed to improve their diet. The cost of setting
>> themselves up with the necessary things to make a diet of beans and
>> rice palatable is likely higher than that they'd save over the
>> course of several months, which, when you're living check to check
>> and having to make choices about which bills to pay, isn't a very
>> good incentive.

> They don't have a knife, a frying pan and a saucepan? Because
> that's
> all you _really_ need. If they have microwaves to reheat burritos, I
> bet they have the others.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

I agree, Ranee. Even kids in a college dorm with a hot plate have a pan or
two. In this case I don't think she can't cook simple foods; I think she
just doesn't want to be bothered. It's a bad example to set for her
daughter.

Jill

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:35:47 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Ward Abbott <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:31:40 +0000, Henhouse
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >A friend of mine accused me of being a food snob the other day. Why?

>> And I bet she is grossly overweight. Every time I go to the store
>> and observe shoppers, the overweight people ALWAYS have their cart
>> filled with processed, prepared food.
>>
>> Thin people have good food in their cart and most likely know how to
>> peel a potato and make a mashed potato.

>Hmmm. What about those of us who are overweight and have lots of
>produce in the cart? And little processed food? (All that Progresso
>soup in my cart? Not for me--but that's another topic of discussion.)
>How do you neatly categorize us?

Hear, hear!!!!

I am obese. However, I am working on it, and when you see my shopping
cart, you will see a lot of fresh veggies and fruits. I cook most
things from scratch, and enjoy doing so.

However, there are times when I break down and get prepared food. I
am a traveling nurse, going from contract to contract and I live in
furnished apartments while I am on assignment. The companies I work
for, provide the housing for me. I bring my own utensils, and pots
and pans, etc, cause I hate the **** that is furnished. When I am
packing up and trying to use up all the food in the house, towards the
end of a contract, I am also not cooking as much, since I am also
packing up my cooking equipment AND my staples. There is simply not
enough time to cook, and anything I cook has to be rather plain at
that time, cause the spices are packed up, and so are the other
interesting ingredients I would normally use. And forget about using
equipment other than the very basic stuff.

And the last few days, I don't cook at all, or very, very little. I
am trying to not dirty up the kitchen by the time, so I get some
prepared stuff. Yes, I try to make it as healthy as possible, but
face it, it isn't like the food I can usually prepare myself.

For instance: this week I am trying to use up the chicken breasts I
have in my freezer. I have been craving something bbq'd lately, so I
had been thinking I could maybe cook the chicken breasts with a bbq
sauce, and eat them in bbq chicken sandwiches. I usually make my own
bbq sauce but this time I am going to buy a commercial one. Same with
coleslaw...this time I am going to buy a coleslaw mix.

In the next week or so, I will be taking frozen dinners to work, as I
will have packed all my little containers, etc. No more really fresh
food at work...

These are just examples. So don't prejudge what you see in people's
shopping carts.

Christine

Lefty wrote:

> If she called you a food snob (or maybe she implied it and you supplied the
> label yourself?) she is not talking about your free range duck l'orange or
> any of that, she is talking about the way you are treating her.
>
> You want validation from this ng about "What is wrong with her?" and "Why
> can't she be like me (us)?" when you should be saying what is wrong with
> this picture--what about my actions are making me seem to be a snob to her
> (and maybe other friends she talks to?)? If it was absolutely untrue you
> wouldn't be worrying about it. Do you truly care about her, or is it "How
> dare you call me a snob, you little piece of ****?" How much do you value
> this "friendship?"
>
> You could call her up at lunchtime and say "What are you making for lunch
> today?" "Hot dogs on white-bread buns and chips, with kool-aid." "Sounds
> good, mind if I join you?" "Sure." It won't kill you. Next time she might
> feel comfortable calling and inviting you and you say " Burritos and grape
> soda? Great, I have some blahblahblah I need to eat up, can I toss it in a
> salad and bring it?" "Sure." Do you invite her over when you are just
> grazing for lunch or is it always free range fois gras with white truffle
> sauce? It's called being friendly. What's important to you, the friend or
> your status? Sounds like a status issue to me, and you feel like she's on to
> you--not a comfortable position.
>
> You are the only one with the answers depending on what you want out of it:
> want the friend?: Friends are equals in things that are most important; want
> the status?: Keep going overboard when ever she's around.
>
> You might get validation from your "peers" here but you won't get good
> answers from anyone who says it is not your own problem, but that it's OK to
> blame somebody else's attributes, and to judge them.
>
> Anybody ready to pounce OT on food stamp recipients en mass with Nineteenth
> Century stereotypes is more needy than the financially unfortunate
> themselves, and should read an intelligent book once in awhile, or otherwise
> stick to what little they actually know something about. There are people
> here who have obviously become comfortable splaying uninformed opinions on
> any opportunity to make issues because they can count on the support of
> familiarity.
>
> In any event, it is not an enviable position to be in; wondering whether or
> not you are truly a food snob. Even the most downtrodden single-mother-
> with- six- kids food-stamp recipient would have pity on you under such a
> burden. I would bet they wouldn't trade one snotty nose to be in your shoes.
>
> Lefty

Lefty, you bring up a lot of good points. Here, it is ok to voice your
opinion and make comments regarding food and cooking, you might not
necessarily make in real life. We all expect it and it happens. We
vent and rave and life goes on because it is usenet. What happens here
really doesn't matter in the big picture. But when you are dealing with
real life situations the relationship is the most important! In some
cases the relationship is enhanced or reinforced through good food and
sometimes the food isn't so good but the focus should always be on the
person and the relationship. See food becomes a way of sharing and
showing you care about the person so it is important but never more
important than the relationship. My opinion.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <GlTSf.127813$4l5.20056@dukeread05>,
> Roberta <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> do buy some processed food...not a whole lot but some (ego waffles,

> Are they oversized? How do you get them to fit in the toaster? "-)

The house we are renting has this cool little toaster oven "hanging"
from the cabinets - I use that :) works fine (although my 3 year old
likes them frozen) I can say - they eat them without syrup - so I guess
it's not as bad as it could be.

>> Sorry - got off on my own rant there :)

> It's okay. It helps us feel superior. "-)

I love to help in my own way!

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> hitched up their
> panties and posted
> news:[email protected]:
>
>>> Sibohnne (sp) said:
>>> Goddess save me from "friends" like you.

>> Barb said:
>> Sweet Jesus! Siobbhan!! May I sit by you? It would be a pleasure
>> to sit at your feet, Lady. Well said!! I salute you.

> Maybe I missed something. Was this thread about food or wealth? I'm
> a big time champion of the poor. If they are able to eat I'm
> grateful.
>
> Michael

(Hey Michael, would you email me, please?)

I'm not wealthy by any means but I donate items to the local food bank at
least twice a year and more often if I can manage it. I think the thread
drift since Siobhann's rant is more about the choices people make than about
stomping on personal economics.

Jill