For Brian!! - Don't have a cow!!

ST

Guest
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/mar06/mar21news

Don't have a cow
How a farmer's brew affects riders health

By Susan Westemeyer

Did you ever wonder why so many riders come down with stomach problems after
the various spring races in Belgium? One might suspect it's the effect of
bouncing up and down so long on cobblestones, but the truth of the matter is
much more... natural, one might say. It's all due to the cow manure, says
T-Mobile's team doctor, Stefan Voigt.

"Last year in late March, Flanders experienced a spell of mild weather,
prompting many farmers to spread manure on their fields. However, the good
weather didn't hold and heavy rainfall during the 'Dreidaagse von de Panne'
(three to five days before the Tour of Flanders) caused the manure to run
off the fields and onto a few hundred metres of the race route," he explains
on the team's website.

And how does the cow manure work its magic on the riders? "When the riders
sped through these stretches, the excrement sprayed out in all directions --
onto the riders' faces and onto the mouthpieces of their water bottles.
Consequently, when a rider took a swig from his bottle, he also unwittingly
swallowed millions of E-coli bacteria. Within 12 hours of the E-coli
contamination, the riders suffered severe upset stomachs with vomiting and
diarrhea."

The solution? "Let's hope for cool and dry weather... so that the farmers
'dangerous brew' is frozen, or at least doesn't run off onto the race
route."

"ST" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:C044BF84.19F0D8%[email protected]...

> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/mar06/mar21news
>
> Don't have a cow
> How a farmer's brew affects riders health
>
> By Susan Westemeyer
>
> Did you ever wonder why so many riders come down with stomach problems
> after
> the various spring races in Belgium? One might suspect it's the effect of
> bouncing up and down so long on cobblestones, but the truth of the matter
> is
> much more... natural, one might say. It's all due to the cow manure, says
> T-Mobile's team doctor, Stefan Voigt.
>
> "Last year in late March, Flanders experienced a spell of mild weather,
> prompting many farmers to spread manure on their fields. However, the good
> weather didn't hold and heavy rainfall during the 'Dreidaagse von de
> Panne'
> (three to five days before the Tour of Flanders) caused the manure to run
> off the fields and onto a few hundred metres of the race route," he
> explains
> on the team's website.
>
> And how does the cow manure work its magic on the riders? "When the riders
> sped through these stretches, the excrement sprayed out in all
> directions --
> onto the riders' faces and onto the mouthpieces of their water bottles.
> Consequently, when a rider took a swig from his bottle, he also
> unwittingly
> swallowed millions of E-coli bacteria. Within 12 hours of the E-coli
> contamination, the riders suffered severe upset stomachs with vomiting and
> diarrhea."
>
> The solution? "Let's hope for cool and dry weather... so that the farmers
> 'dangerous brew' is frozen, or at least doesn't run off onto the race
> route."

In Bob Roll's first book he wrote about this at length. Check it out.
Quite funny.

On 03/21/2006 04:28 AM, in article
[email protected], "B. Lafferty"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "ST" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:C044BF84.19F0D8%[email protected]...
>>

>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/mar06/mar21news
>>
>> Don't have a cow
>> How a farmer's brew affects riders health
>>
>> By Susan Westemeyer
>>
>> Did you ever wonder why so many riders come down with stomach problems
>> after
>> the various spring races in Belgium? One might suspect it's the effect of
>> bouncing up and down so long on cobblestones, but the truth of the matter
>> is
>> much more... natural, one might say. It's all due to the cow manure, says
>> T-Mobile's team doctor, Stefan Voigt.
>>
>> "Last year in late March, Flanders experienced a spell of mild weather,
>> prompting many farmers to spread manure on their fields. However, the good
>> weather didn't hold and heavy rainfall during the 'Dreidaagse von de
>> Panne'
>> (three to five days before the Tour of Flanders) caused the manure to run
>> off the fields and onto a few hundred metres of the race route," he
>> explains
>> on the team's website.
>>
>> And how does the cow manure work its magic on the riders? "When the riders
>> sped through these stretches, the excrement sprayed out in all
>> directions --
>> onto the riders' faces and onto the mouthpieces of their water bottles.
>> Consequently, when a rider took a swig from his bottle, he also
>> unwittingly
>> swallowed millions of E-coli bacteria. Within 12 hours of the E-coli
>> contamination, the riders suffered severe upset stomachs with vomiting and
>> diarrhea."
>>
>> The solution? "Let's hope for cool and dry weather... so that the farmers
>> 'dangerous brew' is frozen, or at least doesn't run off onto the race
>> route."
>>

> In Bob Roll's first book he wrote about this at length. Check it out.
> Quite funny.

It will be in his second book as well, since it contains the entirety of the
first book, plus a few more stories.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

I've always said the same thing after racing Mclane Pacific and Snelling
Road Races each spring. These races are run through farmlands in
California's Central valley, often in rainy conditions. The runoff from the
fields spreads all kinds of muck across the roads and the wheel in front of
you sprays your face for several hours. That ain't good clean mud on your
face, boy. That's cow ****.

Mark VandenBerghe

"ST" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:C044BF84.19F0D8%[email protected]...

> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/mar06/mar21news
>
> Don't have a cow
> How a farmer's brew affects riders health
>
> By Susan Westemeyer
>
> Did you ever wonder why so many riders come down with stomach problems
> after
> the various spring races in Belgium? One might suspect it's the effect of
> bouncing up and down so long on cobblestones, but the truth of the matter
> is
> much more... natural, one might say. It's all due to the cow manure, says
> T-Mobile's team doctor, Stefan Voigt.
>
> "Last year in late March, Flanders experienced a spell of mild weather,
> prompting many farmers to spread manure on their fields. However, the good
> weather didn't hold and heavy rainfall during the 'Dreidaagse von de
> Panne'
> (three to five days before the Tour of Flanders) caused the manure to run
> off the fields and onto a few hundred metres of the race route," he
> explains
> on the team's website.
>
> And how does the cow manure work its magic on the riders? "When the riders
> sped through these stretches, the excrement sprayed out in all
> directions --
> onto the riders' faces and onto the mouthpieces of their water bottles.
> Consequently, when a rider took a swig from his bottle, he also
> unwittingly
> swallowed millions of E-coli bacteria. Within 12 hours of the E-coli
> contamination, the riders suffered severe upset stomachs with vomiting and
> diarrhea."
>
> The solution? "Let's hope for cool and dry weather... so that the farmers
> 'dangerous brew' is frozen, or at least doesn't run off onto the race
> route."
>

> I've always said the same thing after racing Mclane Pacific and Snelling
> Road Races each spring. These races are run through farmlands in
> California's Central valley, often in rainy conditions. The runoff from
> the fields spreads all kinds of muck across the roads and the wheel in
> front of you sprays your face for several hours. That ain't good clean
> mud on your face, boy. That's cow ****.
>
> Mark VandenBerghe

Having ridden the streets of Paris in the rain, I've had the opportunity to
consider that it could be worse (than cow ****, that is).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Mark VandenBerghe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've always said the same thing after racing Mclane Pacific and Snelling
> Road Races each spring. These races are run through farmlands in
> California's Central valley, often in rainy conditions. The runoff from
> the fields spreads all kinds of muck across the roads and the wheel in
> front of you sprays your face for several hours. That ain't good clean
> mud on your face, boy. That's cow ****.
>
> Mark VandenBerghe
>

> "ST" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:C044BF84.19F0D8%[email protected]...
>>

>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/mar06/mar21news
>>
>> Don't have a cow
>> How a farmer's brew affects riders health
>>
>> By Susan Westemeyer
>>
>> Did you ever wonder why so many riders come down with stomach problems
>> after
>> the various spring races in Belgium? One might suspect it's the effect of
>> bouncing up and down so long on cobblestones, but the truth of the matter
>> is
>> much more... natural, one might say. It's all due to the cow manure, says
>> T-Mobile's team doctor, Stefan Voigt.
>>
>> "Last year in late March, Flanders experienced a spell of mild weather,
>> prompting many farmers to spread manure on their fields. However, the
>> good
>> weather didn't hold and heavy rainfall during the 'Dreidaagse von de
>> Panne'
>> (three to five days before the Tour of Flanders) caused the manure to run
>> off the fields and onto a few hundred metres of the race route," he
>> explains
>> on the team's website.
>>
>> And how does the cow manure work its magic on the riders? "When the
>> riders
>> sped through these stretches, the excrement sprayed out in all
>> directions --
>> onto the riders' faces and onto the mouthpieces of their water bottles.
>> Consequently, when a rider took a swig from his bottle, he also
>> unwittingly
>> swallowed millions of E-coli bacteria. Within 12 hours of the E-coli
>> contamination, the riders suffered severe upset stomachs with vomiting
>> and
>> diarrhea."
>>
>> The solution? "Let's hope for cool and dry weather... so that the farmers
>> 'dangerous brew' is frozen, or at least doesn't run off onto the race
>> route."

"Mark VandenBerghe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've always said the same thing after racing Mclane Pacific and Snelling
> Road Races each spring. These races are run through farmlands in
> California's Central valley, often in rainy conditions. The runoff from
> the fields spreads all kinds of muck across the roads and the wheel in
> front of you sprays your face for several hours. That ain't good clean
> mud on your face, boy. That's cow ****.
>
> Mark VandenBerghe

Probably isn't. More likely it's commercial fertilizer which is not as good
for your health as natural cow ****. :)

About 20 guys in my club got sick this way a couple years ago -- we
had a training race on wet roads with a lot of horse manure on one
section, and we all got stomach problems over the next few days. I
had it mild. At least one guy went to the hospital for a IV to
re-hydrate.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

On 03/21/2006 02:19 PM, in article
[email protected], "B. Lafferty"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Mark VandenBerghe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I've always said the same thing after racing Mclane Pacific and Snelling
>> Road Races each spring. These races are run through farmlands in
>> California's Central valley, often in rainy conditions. The runoff from
>> the fields spreads all kinds of muck across the roads and the wheel in
>> front of you sprays your face for several hours. That ain't good clean
>> mud on your face, boy. That's cow ****.
>>
>> Mark VandenBerghe

> Probably isn't. More likely it's commercial fertilizer which is not as good
> for your health as natural cow ****. :)

Based on personal experience from racing Snelling in 1996-97, and seeing the
huge number of cows lining the course, I'd say that Lafferty's showing his
ignorance again.

--

B. Lafferty wrote:
> "Mark VandenBerghe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've always said the same thing after racing Mclane Pacific and Snelling
> > Road Races each spring. These races are run through farmlands in
> > California's Central valley, often in rainy conditions. The runoff from
> > the fields spreads all kinds of muck across the roads and the wheel in
> > front of you sprays your face for several hours. That ain't good clean
> > mud on your face, boy. That's cow ****.
> >
> > Mark VandenBerghe

> Probably isn't. More likely it's commercial fertilizer which is not as good
> for your health as natural cow ****. :)

Maybe it was just me, but growing up doing a dairy that was milking
300 head I was surrounded by, and frequently covered with ****. I never
got sick from it, even when I missed a step into the barn and ended up
swimming in the **** pit in February, the good thing was that at least
it was warm. I could see riders really sucking it down in wet
conditions though and that causing problems though.
We were incredibly cheap/careful with fertilizers, but they worried me
a lot more than anything else from the health standpoint. If the
animals have eaten **** overdosed with nasty chemicals the organic
product they produce is going to be toxic too. That's a thought to keep
in mind. We had to be incredibly careful with animals undergoing
medical treatment so as not to taint the milk with things like
antibiotics since they tested everyload we sent in to the co-op. and
dumped without paying for anything contaminated.
Bill C

If Brian had Cancer he would skip the treatments because animals were used
for lab testing during the development. I am sure that a farm boy / pro
racer would not be as likely to get sick from it since there system has been
exposed to it before. Hmmm Floyd ?

Maybe Bjarne ought to have his boys shovel manure in the offseason.

> "Mark VandenBerghe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've always said the same thing after racing Mclane Pacific and Snelling
> > Road Races each spring. These races are run through farmlands in
> > California's Central valley, often in rainy conditions. The runoff from
> > the fields spreads all kinds of muck across the roads and the wheel in
> > front of you sprays your face for several hours. That ain't good clean
> > mud on your face, boy. That's cow ****.
> >
> > Mark VandenBerghe

> Probably isn't. More likely it's commercial fertilizer which is not as

good
> for your health as natural cow ****. :)

In article <[email protected]>,
"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Mark VandenBerghe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've always said the same thing after racing Mclane Pacific and Snelling
> > Road Races each spring. These races are run through farmlands in
> > California's Central valley, often in rainy conditions. The runoff from
> > the fields spreads all kinds of muck across the roads and the wheel in
> > front of you sprays your face for several hours. That ain't good clean
> > mud on your face, boy. That's cow ****.
> >
> > Mark VandenBerghe

> Probably isn't. More likely it's commercial fertilizer which is not as good
> for your health as natural cow ****. :)

Didn't John Tomac pick up a fairly bad bug of some sort from drinking off a
water bottle in a mountain bike race in Hawaii? I seem to recall something about
the bottle having been sprayed with whatever came off the front wheel of his
bike going through a cow field.

--
tanx,
Howard

Grandma Smith said a curious thing
Boys must whistle, girls must sing

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

"Steve ." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If Brian had Cancer he would skip the treatments because animals were used
> for lab testing during the development. I am sure that a farm boy / pro
> racer would not be as likely to get sick from it since there system has
> been
> exposed to it before. Hmmm Floyd ?
>
> Maybe Bjarne ought to have his boys shovel manure in the offseason.
>>
>> "Mark VandenBerghe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > I've always said the same thing after racing Mclane Pacific and
>> > Snelling
>> > Road Races each spring. These races are run through farmlands in
>> > California's Central valley, often in rainy conditions. The runoff
>> > from
>> > the fields spreads all kinds of muck across the roads and the wheel in
>> > front of you sprays your face for several hours. That ain't good clean
>> > mud on your face, boy. That's cow ****.
>> >
>> > Mark VandenBerghe

>> Probably isn't. More likely it's commercial fertilizer which is not as

> good
>> for your health as natural cow ****. :)

ROTFL!!

"Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Mark VandenBerghe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > I've always said the same thing after racing Mclane Pacific and
>> > Snelling
>> > Road Races each spring. These races are run through farmlands in
>> > California's Central valley, often in rainy conditions. The runoff
>> > from
>> > the fields spreads all kinds of muck across the roads and the wheel in
>> > front of you sprays your face for several hours. That ain't good clean
>> > mud on your face, boy. That's cow ****.
>> >
>> > Mark VandenBerghe

>> Probably isn't. More likely it's commercial fertilizer which is not as
>> good
>> for your health as natural cow ****. :)

> Didn't John Tomac pick up a fairly bad bug of some sort from drinking
> off a
> water bottle in a mountain bike race in Hawaii? I seem to recall something
> about
> the bottle having been sprayed with whatever came off the front wheel of
> his
> bike going through a cow field.
>
> --
> tanx,
> Howard

What's a mountain bike?!

> > I've always said the same thing after racing Mclane Pacific and Snelling
> > Road Races each spring. These races are run through farmlands in
> > California's Central valley, often in rainy conditions. The runoff from
> > the fields spreads all kinds of muck across the roads and the wheel in
> > front of you sprays your face for several hours. That ain't good clean
> > mud on your face, boy. That's cow ****.
> >
> > Mark VandenBerghe

> Having ridden the streets of Paris in the rain, I've had the opportunity

> consider that it could be worse (than cow ****, that is).

Excrement in the streets? Sounds like the French are still living in the
Middle Ages to me.

>> Probably isn't. More likely it's commercial fertilizer which is not as
>> good
>> for your health as natural cow ****. :)

> Maybe it was just me, but growing up doing a dairy that was milking
> 300 head I was surrounded by, and frequently covered with ****. I never
> got sick from it, even when I missed a step into the barn and ended up
> swimming in the **** pit in February, the good thing was that at least
> it was warm. I could see riders really sucking it down in wet
> conditions though and that causing problems though.
> We were incredibly cheap/careful with fertilizers, but they worried me
> a lot more than anything else from the health standpoint. If the
> animals have eaten **** overdosed with nasty chemicals the organic
> product they produce is going to be toxic too. That's a thought to keep
> in mind. We had to be incredibly careful with animals undergoing
> medical treatment so as not to taint the milk with things like
> antibiotics since they tested everyload we sent in to the co-op. and
> dumped without paying for anything contaminated.
> Bill C

Bill: I always thought you were one of the more "real" posters on rbr. This
only confirms it. And I mean that, sincerely, as a compliment.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:[email protected]...