Forum is dead

Sillyoldtwit said:
LOL I often wonder the same about the 'Its killing me thread'. ...
Maybe there are bots out there pinging your thread Tyson :)

IOW, I doubt much of that spam is hand generated and the bots(and their programmers) are too stupid to realize they've lost any possible sales potential here by flooding the same spam over and over. Though I have been thinking about some new nike jordan addidas pumas clothes....

-Dave

Squint said:
http://www.botmaster.net/pictocod/

That's probably what we're dealing with. The best solution might be to moderate the first post of any new users to make sure it's topical and not a bot. The other alternative would be to use an anti-bot scheme that doesn't use character recognition, which bots can do. While they can recognize numbers and letters, they can't pick out, say, the picture of a dog from 3 pictures of cats. Or the mountain bike picture from several road bike pictures.

See:

http://www.thepcspy.com/read/the_cutest_humantest_kittenauth

Try it here:

http://www.thepcspy.com/contact
Does it really need to be that complex? There are just a few users who post the same message over and over. Maybe they're bots, maybe not. Ban the users and delete the threads and then see what happens.

bbrauer said:
Maybe they're bots, maybe not. Ban the users and delete the threads and then see what happens.
They'll re-register and resume spamming?

Ken

velomanct said:
Is what I don't understand is why the spam threads are getting any views. Do people, even new people to the forum actually want to click on those threads? LOL
To report SPAM?

Squint said:
That's just trading a forum full of spam for one full of idiots.
BF is a "lighter" less technical forum than here, but kind of fun none the less.

ric_stern/RST said:
the problem i have is:

1) i'm shortish on time (i know we all are!)
2) i can only delete threads individually
3) i can't delegate control to anyone else

i've emailed the owner of the forum but not heard back yet.

ric
Thanks for letting us know.

Any word as of late?

PaulMD said:
:(
Four weeks and the admin doesn't respond to all our requests? :mad:
This sucks, I hate spambots!
Well let's use another one. There are plenty out there. I'll register www.cyclingpowerforum.com and host a forum for us all if you like?

Or Ric, how about you have a forum on your coaching companies site: happy to help you set it up/host/admin it.

The way I keep spam off the forum I host is have an Admin activate accounts.

It is time consuming (not too much so) but it stops spam accounts from being registered. The odd one gets through but it just gets deleted.

How many folks use this forum? What sort of traffic levels existed before the spam collapse?

Cheers
Russell

russelldb said:
Well let's use another one. There are plenty out there. I'll register www.cyclingpowerforum.com and host a forum for us all if you like?

Or Ric, how about you have a forum on your coaching companies site: happy to help you set it up/host/admin it.

The way I keep spam off the forum I host is have an Admin activate accounts.

It is time consuming (not too much so) but it stops spam accounts from being registered. The odd one gets through but it just gets deleted.

How many folks use this forum? What sort of traffic levels existed before the spam collapse?

Cheers
Russell
I have already registered cyclingforum.info and installed a working forum on it.With some tweaks I can keep it spam free. Twentie people have already registered but I think we all hope this forum will get alive again. But now I see that this is the only thread besides the spam threads in the power training forum on page one... My faith in this topic decreased to almost zero. :(

PaulMD said:
I have already registered cyclingforum.info and installed a working forum on it.With some tweaks I can keep it spam free. Twentie people have already registered but I think we all hope this forum will get alive again. But now I see that this is the only thread besides the spam threads in the power training forum on page one... My faith in this topic decreased to almost zero. :(

I registered today, hopefully the new forum will see a mass migration.

just as long as this forum isn't shut down..there's still plenty of gret info available!!

giannip said:
just as long as this forum isn't shut down..there's still plenty of gret info available!!

Is there any way to archive all of this on the other site? Maybe archive it and link the archives? Or maybe direct links to popular threads as stickies? I agree, lots of good info to be had here. You won't really be able to tell anybody to "use the search function" on the new one yet... :p

jcolley said:
Is there any way to archive all of this on the other site? Maybe archive it and link the archives? Or maybe direct links to popular threads as stickies? I agree, lots of good info to be had here. You won't really be able to tell anybody to "use the search function" on the new one yet... :p
I made a special search function at cyclingforum.info so it is possible to search true this forum. I also started topics with direct links to the most important threads.

Maybe Ric could stick the recommendated new forum address on this board until the spam issues are fixed...

PaulMD said:
I made a special search function at cyclingforum.info so it is possible to search true this forum. I also started topics with direct links to the most important threads.
Great work Paul, I just used the search feature. In fact there's lots of threads worth visiting for infomation, inspiration, confirmation, clarification, reiteration, explanation, qualification, simple quotations ok I think you get my drift:D :D

velomanct said:
Is what I don't understand is why the spam threads are getting any views. Do people, even new people to the forum actually want to click on those threads? LOL

The point of the threads is not to bhe read here it's to have the spam show up in Google searches. Google indexes forums as they often provide useful information.