Frame colour

mezzinator

Feb 7, 2005
I'm getting a frame powdercoated.

Is Flouro/Lime Green too 80's? Am I gonna look like a knob head? Or does anyone thing it'll look incredibly cool?

(The rest is Shimano Ultegra and 540 wheels, extra wide botrager bars. Mostly black)

I just need some opinions..... Thanks.

the problem with powder coating is you usually cant get it gloss, a matt fluro green will look daft. a super gloss green will look dare i say tmnt, cawabunga!

get it 2packed with a clear coat, will look the shizy nizy.

yes, too 80s :p

I had a bike which was bright, glossy, pearl yellow with black stickers....not bad. :)

mezzinator said:
I'm getting a frame powdercoated.
I'm thinking that getting you frame powdercoated may be risky as this process usually involves heating of the metal frame before dipping and coating.
I'm no expert on this, however excessive heat on the frame may alter the properties of the metal frame somewhat, possibly weakening the frame and making it more prone to cracking or shearing. You may want to look further into this before going ahead with it.:confused:

Wodge80 said:
I'm thinking that getting you frame powdercoated may be risky as this process usually involves heating of the metal frame before dipping and coating.
I'm no expert on this, however excessive heat on the frame may alter the properties of the metal frame somewhat, possibly weakening the frame and making it more prone to cracking or shearing. You may want to look further into this before going ahead with it.:confused:
The frame is electrified and the powder coat sprayed onto the frame. The frame is them put through an over to "Cook" the powder and cure it to the metal. It is the washed and cooled.

You will need to find out the fireing temp of the overn and check that it is the same as painters overn.

Yep, too 80's.
I've still got my 80's flouro green fading to flouro pink Ricardo. It's faded to hell now so it doesn't hit you in the face quite so much... but by crikey it certainly used to. :)

My experience with powdercoating (motorcycle frames and wheels) was that it was a bit on the fragile side in that it chipped really easy.
If you can, go with what jetsan suggested.