frame painting?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Baronn1, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Hello all, I recently purchased a Bacchetta Giro that was used as a demo/rental bike for it's first
    year. The frame finish is in really bad shape. If there's someone in the group who can paint this
    frame for me, ending up with close to a factory finish, I'd like to hear from you. I'd be curious as
    to the cost, and if you could do it in time for me to have the bike back by mid-March. Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    When I said paint, I actually meant powder coating.

    "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all, I recently purchased a Bacchetta Giro that was used as a demo/rental bike for it's
    > first year. The frame finish is in really bad shape. If there's someone in the group who can
    > paint this frame for me, ending up with close to a factory finish, I'd like to hear from you. I'd
    > be curious as to the cost, and if you could do it in time for me to have the bike back by
    > mid-March. Thanks!

    > Hello all, I recently purchased a Bacchetta Giro that was used as a demo/rental bike for it's
    > first year. The frame finish is in really bad shape. If there's someone in the group who can
    > paint this frame for me, ending up with close to a factory finish, I'd like to hear from you. I'd
    > be curious as to the cost, and if you could do it in time for me to have the bike back by
    > mid-March. Thanks!

    I recommend:

    spectrumpowderworks.com

    Regards Chris

  4. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Where do you live? Larry Black has access to a very inexpensive frame painter (can do powder coat).
    I can't vouch for the quality. You might also see if you can get a new set of decals from Bachetta
    so they can be applied before the clear coat, no matter who you get to do the work.

    --
    --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

    "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all, I recently purchased a Bacchetta Giro that was used as a demo/rental bike for it's
    > first year. The frame finish is in really bad shape. If there's someone in the group who can
    > paint this frame for me, ending up with close to a factory finish, I'd like to hear from you. I'd
    > be curious as to the cost, and if you could do it in time for me to have the bike back by
    > mid-March. Thanks!

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello all, I recently purchased a Bacchetta Giro that was used as a demo/rental bike for it's
    > first year. The frame finish is in really bad shape. If there's someone in the group who can
    > paint this frame for me, ending up with close to a factory finish, I'd like to hear from you. I'd
    > be curious as to the cost, and if you could do it in time for me to have the bike back by
    > mid-March. Thanks!

    It's probably best that you check with someone who paints or powdercoats bike frames full time. I've
    seen some hideous jobs done by people who did not specialize in bikes. Here in Portland, several of
    us have sent frames to a place called Class Act Coatings with incredible results. A complete frame
    and fork paint job runs about $150.

    Jeff

  6. "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > When I said paint, I actually meant powder coating.

    I am going with painting on an old Schwinn so I can metalflake it, but can that be done
    powdercoating?

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  7. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    I live in Wilmington, DE. Is Larry Black the owner of Mt. Airy cycles? If not, where is he, and how
    could I contact him? Thanks!

  8. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Sorry, yes he owns Mt. Airy Cycles and College Park Cycles. I (vaguely) recall that he mentioned, in
    the WHIRL list, that he had used an inexpensive painter to refurbish some used bikes at the owner's
    request. Larry can probably tell you more, if you can catch him when he's in and not too busy. If
    you want to go a bit higher in quality, I think Mark Colliton at Ex-eyed knows some local painters
    that do powder coat. As I recall it runs about $150 to $170 per bike. I agree that you should
    probably stay away from people who don't generally do bikes. They can damage the frame when they
    remove the old paint, since they aren't used to maintaining the thickness of the tubing to such
    close tolerances. A little too much sand blasting and you have a soda straw on your hands.

    --
    --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

    "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I live in Wilmington, DE. Is Larry Black the owner of Mt. Airy cycles?
    If
    > not, where is he, and how could I contact him? Thanks!

  9. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Christopher Jordan) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > When I said paint, I actually meant powder coating.
    >
    > I am going with painting on an old Schwinn so I can metalflake it, but can that be done
    > powdercoating?
    >
    > Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

    Yes. I had some parts done in silver metalflake for my Lightning by Class Act Coatings here in
    Portland. It might not be identical to the original Schwinn lacquer finish if you're finicky.

    Jeff

  10. Harv

    Harv Guest

    If you ever get around 20th and Market, have a Tom's sub or a cheese steak for me and my wife.
    "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I live in Wilmington, DE. Is Larry Black the owner of Mt. Airy cycles?
    If
    > not, where is he, and how could I contact him? Thanks!

  11. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Anywhere in southeastern PA, it's a hoagie, not a sub. In center city (2oth and Market), they will
    not even know what a sub is. If you dared venture into south Philadelphia, and asked for a sub,
    there's a good chance you would be verbally abused. That having been said, you don't have to go
    inside the Philadelphia city limits to get a good hoagie or cheesesteak...I will gladly pay a moment
    of silent homage to ALL those unlucky enough not to be able to readily access one of these wonderful
    staple foods...

    "harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If you ever get around 20th and Market, have a Tom's sub or a cheese steak for me and my wife.
    > "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I live in Wilmington, DE. Is Larry Black the owner of Mt. Airy cycles?
    > If
    > > not, where is he, and how could I contact him? Thanks!

  12. "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Sorry, yes he owns Mt. Airy Cycles and College Park Cycles. I (vaguely) recall that he mentioned,
    > in the WHIRL list, that he had used an inexpensive painter to refurbish some used bikes at the
    > owner's request. Larry can probably tell you more, if you can catch him when he's in and not too
    > busy. If you want to go a bit higher in quality, I think Mark Colliton at Ex-eyed knows some local
    > painters that do powder coat. As I recall it runs about $150 to $170 per bike. I agree that you
    > should probably stay away from people who don't generally do bikes. They can damage the frame when
    > they remove the old paint, since they aren't used to maintaining the thickness of the tubing to
    > such close tolerances. A little too much sand blasting and you have a soda straw on your hands.
    >
    > --
    > --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.
    >

    > "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I live in Wilmington, DE. Is Larry Black the owner of Mt. Airy cycles?
    > If
    > > not, where is he, and how could I contact him? Thanks!

    I purchased From John Schlitter this past summer a bike that Mark Collitan had Custom built,and
    painted.I noticed on the frame it has a label stating Cycle Fantasies.I've been told via John S.
    that this was done somewhere in Wisconsin.I am one of these days going to get with Mark and get
    the specifics on this bike. Sorry thats all the info I have,maybe someone out there can identify
    the company.

  13. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    I bought a Giro frame from Calhoun Cycle, Minneapolis and they had it painted locally, then built me
    a whole custom machine. The paint job is excellent.

    "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all, I recently purchased a Bacchetta Giro that was used as a demo/rental bike for it's
    > first year. The frame finish is in really bad shape. If there's someone in the group who can
    > paint this frame for me, ending up with close to a factory finish, I'd like to hear from you. I'd
    > be curious as to the cost, and if you could do it in time for me to have the bike back by
    > mid-March. Thanks!

  14. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    jim h wrote:

    > I bought a Giro frame from Calhoun Cycle, Minneapolis and they had it painted locally, then built
    > me a whole custom machine. The paint job is excellent.

    I wonder if this is the same powdercoater that did the work for Earth Cycles - if so then they are
    certainly up to the task.

    I would not bring up the subject of Earth Cycles with them, however, since I doubt they got paid for
    the last batch of frames they did.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  15. Harv

    Harv Guest

    No, no, no! Market street in Wilmington. I used to buy subs and steaks from Tom's when I was in high
    school around 1958. I used to live on west 37th just off of Washington St. I went to college at
    Broad and Pine in Philly.

    news:[email protected]...