Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking

Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> R.White wrote:
>
> > Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> >>Have I forgotten anything?
> >

> > Yeah, you forgot about the hikers who defecate
> > trailside. The hikers who pack in food and leave their
> > garbage. The hikers who hack away at trees in an attempt
> > to obtain firewood. The hikers who walk off trail.
>
> Well, I have IBS, and sometimes just have to go. But I
> carry a substantial blue trowel and go well off the road
> and burn my TP under very controlled circumstances. If you
> want, you can help.

No thanks, I'm hetero. Mike V. is up your alley. Literally.

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 7 Mar 2004 14:45:33 -0800, [email protected]
> (R.White) wrote:
>
> .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>... .>
> Have I forgotten anything? . .Yeah, you forgot about the
> hikers who defecate trailside. .The hikers who pack in
> food and leave their garbage. .The hikers who hack away at
> trees in an attempt to obtain firewood. .The hikers who
> walk off trail.
>
> All of which is IRRELEVANT to the damage that mountain
> biking does. DUH! I swear you mountain bikers are getting
> stupider by the day.

No, it's not irrelevant. It's still damage to the habitat of
animals and you claim to be concerned with animal habitat.
But since you are a selfish hiker, it's ok.

R.White wrote:

> Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>R.White wrote:
>>

>>>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:<[email protected]>...

>>>Yeah, you forgot about the hikers who defecate trailside.
>>>The hikers who pack in food and leave their garbage. The
>>>hikers who hack away at trees in an attempt to obtain
>>>firewood. The hikers who walk off trail.
>>
>>Well, I have IBS, and sometimes just have to go. But I
>>carry a substantial blue trowel and go well off the road
>>and burn my TP under very controlled circumstances. If you
>>want, you can help.
>

> No thanks, I'm hetero. Mike V. is up your alley.
> Literally.

Whoops! I didn't want to attract any person like that,
especially him.

Women are often very neat in burning TP. My wife does it
pretty well.

jimbat

R.White wrote:

> Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>On 7 Mar 2004 14:45:33 -0800, [email protected]
>>(R.White) wrote:
>>
>>.Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:<[email protected]>... .>
>>Have I forgotten anything? . .Yeah, you forgot about the
>>hikers who defecate trailside. .The hikers who pack in
>>food and leave their garbage. .The hikers who hack away at
>>trees in an attempt to obtain firewood. .The hikers who
>>walk off trail.
>>
>>All of which is IRRELEVANT to the damage that mountain
>>biking does. DUH! I swear you mountain bikers are getting
>>stupider by the day.
>

> No, it's not irrelevant. It's still damage to the habitat
> of animals and you claim to be concerned with animal
> habitat. But since you are a selfish hiker, it's ok.

As a "selfish hiker" (what the hell is that??), I do repair
what damage I can that trail bikers do, though my wife is
very goal-oriented and gets impatient. She says, "If they
had half a brain, which I doubt, they'll fix their own
damage. But since they are in such a hurry, and perhaps on
drugs, they surely don't care. Don't play Sysiphus|" I
meekly follow her, and we do get to where we intended,
thanks to her.

jimbat

Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> R.White wrote:
>
> > Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> >>Well, I have IBS, and sometimes just have to go. But I
> >>carry a substantial blue trowel and go well off the road
> >>and burn my TP under very controlled circumstances. If
> >>you want, you can help.
> >

> > No thanks, I'm hetero. Mike V. is up your alley.
> > Literally.
>
> Whoops! I didn't want to attract any person like that,
> especially him.
>
> Women are often very neat in burning TP. My wife does it
> pretty well.

Your present wife? Didn't your exwife burn her TP to your
liking? Are you anal?

Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> R.White wrote:
>
> > Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> >>On 7 Mar 2004 14:45:33 -0800, [email protected]
> >>(R.White) wrote:
> >>
> >>.Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>news:<[email protected]>... .>
> >>Have I forgotten anything? . .Yeah, you forgot about the
> >>hikers who defecate trailside. .The hikers who pack in
> >>food and leave their garbage. .The hikers who hack away
> >>at trees in an attempt to obtain firewood. .The hikers
> >>who walk off trail.
> >>
> >>All of which is IRRELEVANT to the damage that mountain
> >>biking does. DUH! I swear you mountain bikers are
> >>getting stupider by the day.
> >

> > No, it's not irrelevant. It's still damage to the
> > habitat of animals and you claim to be concerned with
> > animal habitat. But since you are a selfish hiker,
> > it's ok.
>
> As a "selfish hiker" (what the hell is that??)

A selfish hiker is:

One who defecates trailside. One who packs in food and
leaves their garbage. One who hacks away at trees in an
attempt to obtain firewood. One who walks off trail.

I find it interesting that you admit to being a
"selfish hiker."

> I do repair what damage I can that trail bikers do, though
> my wife is very goal-oriented and gets impatient. She
> says, "If they had half a brain, which I doubt, they'll
> fix their own damage. But since they are in such a hurry,
> and perhaps on drugs, they surely don't care. Don't play
> Sysiphus|" I meekly follow her, and we do get to where we
> intended, thanks to her.

Oh yeah, your wife can look at trail damage and tell us
whether or not it was done by bikers on drugs. Bwahahaha!!!
That's too rich. I find that hard to believe with the
exception of you meekly following her. You're her *****!

Ok.. maybe we should ban people from everywhere and create a human free habitat. Check out Mars.

R.White wrote:

> Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>R.White wrote:
>>

>>>Jim Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:<[email protected]>...

>>>No thanks, I'm hetero. Mike V. is up your alley.
>>>Literally.
>>
>>Whoops! I didn't want to attract any person like that,
>>especially him.
>>
>>Women are often very neat in burning TP. My wife does it
>>pretty well.
>

> Your present wife? Didn't your exwife burn her TP to your
> liking? Are you anal?

No, she didn't, and could hardly change the kids' diapers
without shaking them. Even before the medical evidence was
in, I knew this was dangerous. So I changed the diapers
whenever possible. I didn't care thst they stuck their heels
in the ****, though I tried to prevent it.

jimbat

> Have I forgotten anything?
>
> Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking Michael
> Vandeman, Ph.D. March 5, 2004
>
> 1. Why do people mountain bike?
> a. They are too lazy to walk. Many of them say that using
> a bike allows them to get much farther, in the same
> amount of time, than they can by
walking. I think laziness is a bizarre claim to make about
a group of people who pride themselves on keeping fit and
exercising. Every weekend I go out and ride the trails for
a few hours and yes I do cover far more ground than I would
on foot. Furthermore on the occasions that I have walked
I've had to spend the first hour and a half getting clear
of the city before I reach the countryside (I don't own a
car you see). Consequently walking is actually quite an
unpleasant alternative. Where I live (the South East of
England, which is the most heavily populated part of
Europe) most "walkers" drive to a car park out in the
countryside and walk from there.

> They also maintain constant pressure on land managers, to
> open more and
more
> trails to bikes. Of course, all of these trails are
> already open to them,
if
> they choose to walk. They also frequently claim that
> closing trails to
bikes
> "excludes" them from the parks. This could only be true if
> they refused to
walk. I don't know much about this "exclusion" issue because
I'm from the UK so the situation is different. In England
and Wales "public rights of way" of the non-road variety
tend to be designated as footpaths (in which case they are
not for bikes/horses), bridleways (walkers plus
bikes/horses) or byways open to all traffic. I don't think
that trail usage is regularly contested in the UK.

> (There's nothing inherently wrong with laziness; we all
> like to save
energy,
> when it's appropriate. Use of a bicycle to replace
> automobile use is
obviously
> beneficial. However, by the same token, replacing hiking
> with mountain
biking is
> obviously not beneficial.)
Why do you assume mountain biking *replaces* hiking?

> b. They are interested in the quantity of nature they can
> see, rather than the quality of their experience. While
> riding a bike, especially over
terrain as
> rough as a trail, one has to be constantly paying
> attention to not
crashing.
> That make it almost impossible to notice much else. By
> contrast, a hiker
feels
> the ground, hears all the sounds and smells all the odors
> of nature and
can stop
> instantly, if he/she finds something interesting. The
> brain thrives on stimulation. A biker has to travel
> several times as far as a hiker, to get
the
> same stimulation as a hiker. (And, by the same token,
> motorcyclists have
> travel several times as far as a bicyclist, and an auto
> user several times
as
> far as a motorcyclist, since they are enclosed in a
> metal box.)

This assumes that every part of a trail is so technical as
to allow no looking around. I'm also not convinced that
cycling stops me from smelling the odours of nature either.
I just don't buy this idea that the level of stimulation is
inversely proportional to the speed at which one travels.
You make some points later about the damage this speed does
to some environments which sounds like more of a fair point,
but here your argument seems to be that people shouldn't
cycle on trails because they somehow aren't enjoying or
experiencing nature properly.

> c. They are interested in thrills. Riding a bike on a
> trail, especially a trail containing many obstacles, or
> a trail one is not familiar with, is
very
> challenging. (But if mountain biking is the high point of
> your week, as it
seems
> to be for many mountain bikers, you must be leading a
> pretty dull life,
off of
> the bike!)

That's a sweeping value-judgement. Your website says you
have a PhD in psychology - I'm very surprised that you see
fit to make such cheap statements about other peoples lives.

> d. They are interested in building mountain biking skills
> and competing with other mountain bikers. The thrill of
> racing drives people to spend
more
> money on their bike, and ride it harder and more often.
> Racing, up to and including the Olympics, drives a lot of
> mountain biking. Of course, it is
also
> extremely harmful to the parks and natural areas that are
> used for
practice! It
> is hard to think of any other (legal) use of public lands,
> other than
hunting,
> that is as harmful as mountain biking.
>
> 2. What is driving the sport of mountain biking? Besides
> the attraction
for
> participants, manufacturers and retailers of mountain
> bikes and mountain
biking
> accessories, as well as "adventure" travel guides, make a
> lot of money
from
> promoting mountain biking. Even some auto manufacturers
> (e.g. Subaru)
promote
> and sponsor mountain biking, and try to use its popularity
> to sell more
cars.

> 3. What harm does mountain biking do?
> a. Most obvious is the acceleration of erosion. Knobby
> tires rip into the soil, loosening it and allowing rain
> to wash it away. They also create
V-shaped
> grooves that make walking difficult or even dangerous. The
> mechanical
advantage
> given by the gears and ball bearings allow a mountain
> biker to travel
several
> times as fast as a hiker. Given their increased weight
> (rider plus bike),
this
> results in vastly increased momentum, and hence much
> greater horizontal (shearing) forces on the soil. (Witness
> the skid marks from stops, starts,
and
> turns.) According to Newton, every action has an equal and
> opposite
reaction.
> Mountain bikes were built much stronger than other bikes,
> so that they
could
> withstand the greater forces they were subject to on rough
> trails. These
same
> forces, therefore, are being applied to the trails!

So a responsible hiker would wear soft flat soled shoes?
Should over-weight hikers be discouraged from walking on
trails due to the greater damage they may cause?

> b. A hiker must be very careful not to accidentally step
> on small animals and plants on the trail. For a
> mountain biker, it is almost impossible to
avoid
> killing countless animals and plants on and under the
> trail. They have to
pay
> attention to controlling the bike, and can't afford to
> look carefully at
what is
> on the trail, especially when travelling fast. And even if
> they happen to
see,
> for example, a snake, it is hard for them to stop in time
> to avoid killing
it.

This has quite simply never happened to me. As a vegetarian
I would be pretty mortified if I ran over animals. In fact
if it happened as a regular occurance I simply would not
ride (off-road). If cycling over grass constitutes killing
then I'm guilty as charged.

> c. A hiker, when crossing a creek, will try to avoid
> getting wet, by crossing on stepping stones or logs.
> Mountain bikers, on the other hand,
simply
> ride right through the creek bed, crushing any animals or
> plants that
happen to
> be there. Mountain biking magazines are full of photos
> of mountain bikers throwing up spray, as they barrel
> through creeks.
> d. Bikes also allow people to travel several times as far
> as a hiker. This

Should hikers be discouraged from long walks then?

> translates into several times the impacts, both on the
> trail and on the
wildlife
> (to say nothing of the other trail users). Existing
> parklands are already inadequate to protect the wildlife
> that live there. When they are
crisscrossed
> by mountain bikers and legal or illegal trails, their
> habitat becomes even
more
> inadequate. Mountain bikers frequently advertise rides of
> 20-50 miles or
more.
> Have you ever tried to walk that far in a day?

There is also evidence to suggest that because riders pass
by quickly (and relatively quietly - certainly by machine
standards) that wild animals are not subjected to as much
stress as is caused by walkers. I'll try and find you the
reference if you want it.

> e. Due to their width and speed, bikes can't safely pass
> each other on narrow trails. Therefore, policies that
> permit mountain biking also result
in
> more habitat destruction, as trails are widened by bikers
> (or by hikers
and
> equestrians jumping out of their way).

I have never seen anyone on horseback "jump" out of the way
nor have they needed to. As far as I'm concerned horses are
far more dangerous than mountain bikers.

> f. Knobby mountain bike tires are ideal for carrying mud,
> and consequently exotic plants and fungi, from place to
> place, resulting in the spread of
exotic
> invasive species, such as weeds and Sudden Oak Death.
> g. Mountain biking is driving the very young and old off
> of the trails and

Evidence?

> hence out of the parks. Even able-bodied hikers and
> equestrians fear for
their
> safety, and don't enjoy sharing the trails with bikes.
> (The mountain
bikers
> claim that they are simply being selfish and "unwilling to
> share", but
actually
> they have no problem sharing trails with mountain bikers;
> it is only their
bikes
> that are a problem!)

So what if I argue that horse-riders are welcome but horses
aren't? And before you start saying that horses are natural
and bikes aren't... horse-shoes aren't natural and they
create lots of errosion (horses being somewhat heavier than
people and bikes).

> h. Mountain bikes, which are obviously built to go
> anywhere, teach
children
> and anyone else who sees them that the rough treatment of
> nature is
acceptable.
> This undoubtedly has a negative effect on people's
> treatment of nature.

If I were going to attribute the poor treatment of the
environment to something, mountain bikes wouldn't exactly
top my list of concerns. Given the general trend towards
sedentary lifestyles and fastfood I would encourage almost
anything that got children out into the countryside. I think
exposure leads to respect/love of nature.

> i. In order to mitigate bike-caused erosion, park managers
> have been resorting to extreme measures -- even in some
> cases putting a plastic
matrix or
> other exotic material under the trail (e.g. in Pleasanton
> Ridge Regional Preserve, near Pleasanton, California)!
> It's hard to imagine that this
will have
> a beneficial effect on the park and its wildlife..
>
> 3. Mountain bikers claim that their sport has no greater
> environmental
impact
> than hiking. Is that true? If you read the "studies" that
> make that claim,
you
> find that they don't really compare the impacts of hiking
> and mountain
biking,
> but only the impacts per foot. If, for a moment, we assume
> that the
studies are
> correct in their having equivalent impacts per foot, it
> would still follow
that
> mountain biking has far greater impact per person, since
> mountain bikers typically travel so much farther than
> hikers. Besides overlooking
distances
> travelled, those "studies" almost all ignore impacts on
> wildlife. And they
don't
> study mountain biking under normal conditions -- only at a
> very slow
speed.

> 4. Where should mountain biking allowed? A couple of role
> models for
wildlife
> protection are Yosemite National Park and East Bay
> Municipal Utility
District
> (in Alameda and Contra Costa counties, California). They
> both restrict
bicycles
> to paved roads, where they can't do much harm. Somehow
> bicyclists have
managed
> to enjoy their sport for over a hundred years, without
> riding off-road.
>
> 5. What should the policy be on trails? Closed to bikes,
> unless marked
open.
> Signs that say "No Bikes" are quickly and repeatedly
> ripped out of the
ground by
> mountain bikers.

Well I can't (and won't) defend that.

Dan

> Have I forgotten anything?
>
> Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking Michael
> Vandeman, Ph.D. March 5, 2004
>
> 1. Why do people mountain bike?
> a. They are too lazy to walk. Many of them say that using
> a bike allows them to get much farther, in the same
> amount of time, than they can by
walking. I think laziness is a bizarre claim to make about
a group of people who pride themselves on keeping fit and
exercising. Every weekend I go out and ride the trails for
a few hours and yes I do cover far more ground than I would
on foot. Furthermore on the occasions that I have walked
I've had to spend the first hour and a half getting clear
of the city before I reach the countryside (I don't own a
car you see). Consequently walking is actually quite an
unpleasant alternative. Where I live (the South East of
England, which is the most heavily populated part of
Europe) most "walkers" drive to a car park out in the
countryside and walk from there.

> They also maintain constant pressure on land managers, to
> open more and
more
> trails to bikes. Of course, all of these trails are
> already open to them,
if
> they choose to walk. They also frequently claim that
> closing trails to
bikes
> "excludes" them from the parks. This could only be true if
> they refused to
walk. I don't know much about this "exclusion" issue because
I'm from the UK so the situation is different. In England
and Wales "public rights of way" of the non-road variety
tend to be designated as footpaths (in which case they are
not for bikes/horses), bridleways (walkers plus
bikes/horses) or byways open to all traffic. I don't think
that trail usage is regularly contested in the UK.

> (There's nothing inherently wrong with laziness; we all
> like to save
energy,
> when it's appropriate. Use of a bicycle to replace
> automobile use is
obviously
> beneficial. However, by the same token, replacing hiking
> with mountain
biking is
> obviously not beneficial.)
Why do you assume mountain biking *replaces* hiking?

> b. They are interested in the quantity of nature they can
> see, rather than the quality of their experience. While
> riding a bike, especially over
terrain as
> rough as a trail, one has to be constantly paying
> attention to not
crashing.
> That make it almost impossible to notice much else. By
> contrast, a hiker
feels
> the ground, hears all the sounds and smells all the odors
> of nature and
can stop
> instantly, if he/she finds something interesting. The
> brain thrives on stimulation. A biker has to travel
> several times as far as a hiker, to get
the
> same stimulation as a hiker. (And, by the same token,
> motorcyclists have
> travel several times as far as a bicyclist, and an auto
> user several times
as
> far as a motorcyclist, since they are enclosed in a
> metal box.)

This assumes that every part of a trail is so technical as
to allow no looking around. I'm also not convinced that
cycling stops me from smelling the odours of nature either.
I just don't buy this idea that the level of stimulation is
inversely proportional to the speed at which one travels.
You make some points later about the damage this speed does
to some environments which sounds like more of a fair point,
but here your argument seems to be that people shouldn't
cycle on trails because they somehow aren't enjoying or
experiencing nature properly.

> c. They are interested in thrills. Riding a bike on a
> trail, especially a trail containing many obstacles, or
> a trail one is not familiar with, is
very
> challenging. (But if mountain biking is the high point of
> your week, as it
seems
> to be for many mountain bikers, you must be leading a
> pretty dull life,
off of
> [...]

far more dangerous than mountain bikers.

> f. Knobby mountain bike tires are ideal for carrying mud,
> and consequently exotic plants and fungi, from place to
> place, resulting in the spread of
exotic
> invasive species, such as weeds and Sudden Oak Death.
> g. Mountain biking is driving the very young and old off
> of the trails and

Evidence?

> hence out of the parks. Even able-bodied hikers and
> equestrians fear for
their
> safety, and don't enjoy sharing the trails with bikes.
> (The mountain
bikers
> claim that they are simply being selfish and "unwilling to
> share", but
actually
> they have no problem sharing trails with mountain bikers;
bikes
> [...]

> very slow
speed.

> 4. Where should mountain biking allowed? A couple of role
> models for
wildlife
> protection are Yosemite National Park and East Bay
> Municipal Utility
District
> (in Alameda and Contra Costa counties, California). They
> both restrict
bicycles
> to paved roads, where they can't do much harm. Somehow
> bicyclists have
managed
> to enjoy their sport for over a hundred years, without
> riding off-road.
>
> 5. What should the policy be on trails? Closed to bikes,
> unless marked
open.
> Signs that say "No Bikes" are quickly and repeatedly
ground by

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:00:40 GMT, Dan Sheppard wrote:

> That's a sweeping value-judgement. Your website says you
> have a PhD in psychology - I'm very surprised that you
> see fit to make such cheap statements about other
> peoples lives.

Its amazing how many people have responded to the
statements in this so-called "FAQ". Are you all NEW? This
was never a FAQ in the first place; these questions aren't
frequently asked (except by the author himself, to
generate flames and provide a lead-in for his tired, old
dogma), and he obviously didn't answer them (other than
his tired, old dogma).

See: http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/3398/Mr-
ABC.html

Look familiar? Its nearly 10 years old now, but the fact
that it is still fairly up-to-date with his "arguments"
shows what a dull, dogmatic individual he is. It was changed
to "Mr ABC" after his typical lame threats of "libel"
lawsuits. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out
who its about, anyway.

The alt.mountain-bike FAQ is clear about what to do with
Vandeman - put him in your killfile.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail
address, at least)

Dan Sheppard wrote:

>big snip here

Your comments show insight & sensitivity to people and the
environment, but as to replying to MV, you are pouring sand
down a hole.

If you disagree with something he has said, you are
ipso facto a Typical Mountain Biker and are fit only
for the gibbet.

If you say something with which MV diagrees, you are ipso
facto a Liar & the same fate is appropriate.

As BB has mentioned, the great bulk of MV's material is
repeated, rehashed & reused indefinitely.

Some folks get a minimal level of amusement from "feeding
the troll;" others like yourself are new to the scene & show
honest bewilderment & outrage at the vituperative blather
that seems never to end.

Responding to some of the other posters on these threads can
bring useful information & the profitable sharing of ideas.

Yours in the north Maine woods, Pete Hilton (Registered
Maine Guide) aka The Ent

--
Gadarene swine, example of: Just because the group is in
formation does not mean the group is headed in the right

On 8 Mar 2004 05:42:02 -0800, [email protected] (R.White) wrote:

.Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... .> On 7
Mar 2004 14:45:33 -0800, [email protected] (R.White)
wrote: .> .> .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:<[email protected]>...
.> .> Have I forgotten anything? .> . .> .Yeah, you forgot
about the hikers who defecate trailside. .> .The hikers who
pack in food and leave their garbage. .> .The hikers who
hack away at trees in an attempt to obtain firewood. .> .The
hikers who walk off trail. .> .> All of which is IRRELEVANT
to the damage that mountain biking does. DUH! I swear .> you
mountain bikers are getting stupider by the day. . .No, it's
not irrelevant. It's still damage to the habitat of animals
.and you claim to be concerned with animal habitat. But
since you are .a selfish hiker, it's ok.

It's not okay, but it IS irrelevant to MTB damage.
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

<[email protected]> wrote:

."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... . .>
Have I forgotten anything? .> .> Frequently Asked Questions
about Mountain Biking .> Michael Vandeman, Ph.D. .> March 5,
2004 .> .> 1. Why do people mountain bike? .> a. They are
too lazy to walk. Many of them say that using a bike allows
.> them to get much farther, in the same amount of time,
than they can by .walking. .I think laziness is a bizarre
claim to make about a group of people who .pride themselves
on keeping fit and exercising.

Then why not WALK, which is better exercise than biking.
Walking uses energy on the downhill portion. Mountain
biking doesn't.

Every weekend I go out and .ride the trails for a few hours
and yes I do cover far more ground than I .would on foot.
Furthermore on the occasions that I have walked I've had to
.spend the first hour and a half getting clear of the city
before I reach the .countryside (I don't own a car you see).
Consequently walking is actually .quite an unpleasant
alternative. Where I live (the South East of England,

Near Canterbury? I was just there in 2002.

.which is the most heavily populated part of Europe) most
"walkers" drive to .a car park out in the countryside and
walk from there.

Why don't you ride your bike to the trailhead and park it
there? Don't sacrifice the wildlife.

.> They also maintain constant pressure on land managers,
to open more and .more .> trails to bikes. Of course, all
of these trails are already open to them, .if .> they
choose to walk. They also frequently claim that closing
trails to .bikes .> "excludes" them from the parks. This
could only be true if they refused to .walk. .I don't know
much about this "exclusion" issue because I'm from the UK
so .the situation is different. In England and Wales
"public rights of way" of .the non-road variety tend to be
designated as footpaths (in which case they .are not for
bikes/horses), bridleways (walkers plus bikes/horses) or
byways .open to all traffic. I don't think that trail usage
is regularly contested .in the UK.

Maybe because you have destroyed most of your habitat
already, so people don't try to protect it..

.> (There's nothing inherently wrong with laziness; we all
like to save .energy, .> when it's appropriate. Use of a
bicycle to replace automobile use is .obviously .>
beneficial. However, by the same token, replacing hiking
with mountain .biking is .> obviously not beneficial.) .Why
do you assume mountain biking *replaces* hiking?

It doesn't. But IF it did, it would be harmful, not
beneficial.

.> b. They are interested in the quantity of nature they can
see, rather than .> the quality of their experience. While
riding a bike, especially over .terrain as .> rough as a
trail, one has to be constantly paying attention to not
.crashing. .> That make it almost impossible to notice much
else. By contrast, a hiker .feels .> the ground, hears all
the sounds and smells all the odors of nature and .can stop
.> instantly, if he/she finds something interesting. The
brain thrives on .> stimulation. A biker has to travel
several times as far as a hiker, to get .the .> same
stimulation as a hiker. (And, by the same token,
motorcyclists have .to .> travel several times as far as a
bicyclist, and an auto user several times .as .> far as a
motorcyclist, since they are enclosed in a metal box.) .
.This assumes that every part of a trail is so technical as
to allow no .looking around.

Even if you look, you are going too fast to see much detail.
Part of your attention is ALWAYS used to keep from crashing,
and so can't be used to enjoy nature.

I'm also not convinced that cycling stops me from smelling
.the odours of nature either.

You have to be FAST!

I just don't buy this idea that the level of .stimulation
is inversely proportional to the speed at which one
travels. You .make some points later about the damage this
speed does to some environments .which sounds like more of
a fair point, but here your argument seems to be .that
people shouldn't cycle on trails because they somehow
aren't enjoying .or experiencing nature properly.

Not "properly"; AT ALL. It benefits you to enjoy it more.

.> c. They are interested in thrills. Riding a bike on a
trail, especially a .> trail containing many obstacles, or a
trail one is not familiar with, is .very .> challenging.
(But if mountain biking is the high point of your week, as
it .seems .> to be for many mountain bikers, you must be
leading a pretty dull life, .off of .> the bike!) . .That's
a sweeping value-judgement. Your website says you have a PhD
in .psychology - I'm very surprised that you see fit to make
such cheap .statements about other peoples lives.

Then ask someone else (not a mountain biker) if mountain
biking seems more exciting than their own life. You will be
surprised. Some people work on protecting the environment
that you are destroying. Their life is FAR more interesting
and satisfying than yours.

[...]

Yes.

Should over-weight .hikers be discouraged from walking on
trails due to the greater damage they .may cause?

That's inhumane. I don't advocate banning only SOME people.
Just BIKES, ot ALL people. Send them to me. I can help them
lose weight and hence enjoy life more.

.> b. A hiker must be very careful not to accidentally step
on small animals .> and plants on the trail. For a mountain
biker, it is almost impossible to .avoid .> killing
countless animals and plants on and under the trail. They
have to .pay .> attention to controlling the bike, and can't
afford to look carefully at .what is .> on the trail,
especially when travelling fast. And even if they happen to
.see, .> for example, a snake, it is hard for them to stop
in time to avoid killing .it. . .This has quite simply never
happened to me. As a vegetarian I would be .pretty mortified
if I ran over animals.

You forgot that insects are animals.

In fact if it happened as a regular .occurance I simply
would not ride (off-road). If cycling over grass
.constitutes killing then I'm guilty as charged.

Yes, you are.

.> c. A hiker, when crossing a creek, will try to avoid
getting wet, by .> crossing on stepping stones or logs.
Mountain bikers, on the other hand, .simply .> ride right
through the creek bed, crushing any animals or plants that
.happen to .> be there. Mountain biking magazines are full
of photos of mountain bikers .> throwing up spray, as they
barrel through creeks. .> d. Bikes also allow people to
travel several times as far as a hiker. This . . .Should
hikers be discouraged from long walks then?

EVERONE should try to minimize their impacts on wildlife. No
one is exempt.

.> translates into several times the impacts, both on the
trail and on the .wildlife .> (to say nothing of the other
trail users). Existing parklands are already .> inadequate
to protect the wildlife that live there. When they are
.crisscrossed .> by mountain bikers and legal or illegal
trails, their habitat becomes even .more .> inadequate.
Mountain bikers frequently advertise rides of 20-50 miles or
.more. .> Have you ever tried to walk that far in a day? .
.There is also evidence to suggest that because riders pass
by quickly (and .relatively quietly - certainly by machine
standards) that wild animals are .not subjected to as much
stress as is caused by walkers. I'll try and find .you the
reference if you want it.

So you can guarantee never to stop? I doubt it. I wouldn't
bet on that. Mountain bikers always brag about stopping to
"enjoy" nature.

.> e. Due to their width and speed, bikes can't safely pass
each other on .> narrow trails. Therefore, policies that
permit mountain biking also result .in .> more habitat
destruction, as trails are widened by bikers (or by hikers
.and .> equestrians jumping out of their way). . .I have
never seen anyone on horseback "jump" out of the way nor
have they .needed to. As far as I'm concerned horses are far
more dangerous than .mountain bikers.

It happens all the time, when horses are surprized by fast-
moving bikers. Some have even jumped off of cliffs and died.

.> f. Knobby mountain bike tires are ideal for carrying mud,
and consequently .> exotic plants and fungi, from place to
place, resulting in the spread of .exotic .> invasive
species, such as weeds and Sudden Oak Death. .> g. Mountain
biking is driving the very young and old off of the trails
and . . .Evidence?

I have heard that from many equestrians & elderly hikers. I
have witnessed empty parks full of mountain bikers.

.> hence out of the parks. Even able-bodied hikers and
equestrians fear for .their .> safety, and don't enjoy
sharing the trails with bikes. (The mountain .bikers .>
claim that they are simply being selfish and "unwilling to
share", but .actually .> they have no problem sharing trails
with mountain bikers; it is only their .bikes .> that are a
problem!) . .So what if I argue that horse-riders are
welcome but horses aren't? And .before you start saying that
horses are natural and bikes aren't... .horse-shoes aren't
natural and they create lots of errosion (horses being
.somewhat heavier than people and bikes).

I agree. I don't support using animals as vehicles.

.> h. Mountain bikes, which are obviously built to go
anywhere, teach .children .> and anyone else who sees them
that the rough treatment of nature is .acceptable. .> This
undoubtedly has a negative effect on people's treatment of
nature. . . .If I were going to attribute the poor treatment
of the environment to .something, mountain bikes wouldn't
exactly top my list of concerns. Given .the general trend
towards sedentary lifestyles and fastfood I would .encourage
almost anything that got children out into the countryside.

Not something as destructive as mountain biking! What is the
benefit of that???

I .think exposure leads to respect/love of nature.

I've seen how mountain bikers "respect" nature. They DON'T.
(Respect IS as respect DOES.

[...]

Good.

.Dan

===

On 10 Mar 2004 19:07:21 GMT, BB <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

Why don't you practice what you preach? DUH!

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:10:49 -0500, The Ent <[email protected]> wrote:

.Dan Sheppard wrote: . .>big snip here .> .> .Your comments
show insight & sensitivity to people and the environment,
.but as to replying to MV, you are pouring sand down a hole.
. .If you disagree with something he has said, you are ipso
facto a Typical .Mountain Biker and are fit only for the
gibbet. . .If you say something with which MV diagrees, you
are ipso facto a Liar & .the same fate is appropriate. . .As
BB has mentioned, the great bulk of MV's material is
repeated, .rehashed & reused indefinitely.

Because it's TRUE! DUH!

.Some folks get a minimal level of amusement from "feeding
the troll;" .others like yourself are new to the scene &
show honest bewilderment & .outrage at the vituperative
blather that seems never to end.

You are just envious.

.Responding to some of the other posters on these threads
can bring .useful information & the profitable sharing of
ideas. . .Yours in the north Maine woods, .Pete Hilton
(Registered Maine Guide) aka The Ent

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Have I forgotten anything?
Have I forgotten anything?

Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking Michael
Vandeman, Ph.D. March 5, 2004

First of all, what is your Ph.D. in? Because I'll be
completely honest and say that I'm not impressed with your
reasoning abilities, to say nothing of the way you attempt
(or, more accurately, DON'T attempt) to back up your
arguments.
1. Why do people mountain bike?
a. They are too lazy to walk. When you claimed this, you
announced to the world that you were not a mountain
biker, nor a bike rider of any kind. Bicycling takes
fitness, concentration and skill and anybody who goes
trail riding knows this. Many of them say that using a
bike allows them to get much farther, in the same amount
of time, than they can by walking. None of the trail
riders, and I mean literally NONE of the trail riders
would say this. This is something you pulled out of your
own head, or maybe you talked to people who ride road
bikes? The point is, mtb riders don't go riding for the
distance, most don't even know exactly how far they've
ridden at the end of the day. We go trail riding to
challenge ourselves as much as for the exercise value,
just as hikers don't go hiking just for the hell of it.
Nobody rides trails on a bike because they can "get much
farther." They also maintain constant pressure on land
managers, to open more and more trails to bikes. Of
course, all of these trails are already open to them, if
they choose to walk. They also frequently claim that
closing trails to bikes "excludes" them from the parks.
This could only be true if they refused to walk. Where I
live, we recently received an area of land from the local
wilderness authority to be used for trail riding. The
only reason we needed and wanted this was because all the
other trails in the area have been closed, most notably
the Otero Canyon. And you make me laugh when you say that
the trails wouldn't be closed to us if we didn't refuse
to walk, because if we're walking we're not mountain
bikers anymore, silly guy. Apparently you haven't thought
about the tricky bits of your statement, have you? Let me
put it in what I hope is a painfully obvious way. I'll
include quotation marks for your mental ease. "If a
person is not on a bike, then he/she is not a mountain
biker." Unless you are taking up a quest against anybody
who would IDENTIFY themselves as a mountain biker, I
think you had better realize that as soon as you take the
mountain bike away from a person, they're no longer a
mountain biker. See how it works? So saying that mountain
bikers could just walk the trails is contradictory, it
just doesn't make sense. Mountain bikers aren't mountain
bikers without the bike. We want access to trails, and
that means access WITH A BIKE. See? I hope I made that
fairly major contradiction in your argument a little more
clear for you. (There's nothing inherently wrong with
laziness; we all like to save energy, when it's
appropriate. Use of a bicycle to replace automobile use
is obviously beneficial. However, by the same token,
replacing hiking with mountain biking is obviously not
beneficial.) Funny that you should talk about laziness
and replacing cars with bikes, because as I stated above,
you obviously don't ride bikes. In fact, on what may be a
rather unkind personal note, I'd be willing to bet that
you drive either a 4x4 truck or SUV, so you can reach
those hard-to-get-to habitats that need your rescuing.
b. They are interested in the quantity of nature they can
see, rather than the quality of their experience. Don't
even go there, bud. Again, try riding before you pull
unsupported statements out of your head and post them on
the internet. Speaking as someone who has been around the
world (literally) more than once, you don't know what
you're talking about. While riding a bike, especially
over terrain as rough as a trail, one has to be
constantly paying attention to not crashing. That make it
almost impossible to notice much else. I'm realizing at
this point how much of your argument is based on simple
ignorance. A fairly novice rider (I'm saying someone
older than 13, younger than that I won't argue with you)
can easily keep track of the trail, and still be caught
up in the beauty surrounding him/her. And someone who is
comfortable riding trails can easily be immersed in what
they're experiencing. I can jus hear the arguments, "He
said immersed! That means they aren't paying attention!"
Silly people. If hikers are so cosmically connected to
nature, why are they always spooked when mtb riders go
past them? We can certainly hear them before we see them.
And that's when we're going fast. Going slow, I'm sure
mtb riders can all attest to hearing words like, "Whoa!
Hey, I didn't see you coming!" even when going just
jogging speed past a hiker. By contrast, a hiker feels
the ground, hears all the sounds and smells all the odors
of nature and can stop instantly, if he/she finds
something interesting. The brain thrives on stimulation.
A biker has to travel several times as far as a hiker, to
get the same stimulation as a hiker. (And, by the same
token, motorcyclists have to travel several times as far
as a bicyclist, and an auto user several times as far as
a motorcyclist, since they are enclosed in a metal box.)
I disagree here for the same reason I disagree above. I
have hiked through rainforests and deserts in Australia,
through beautiful scenery in New Zealand all the way to
Scotland, and have been mountain biking all across the
US. It's the biking trips that I remember in far more
detail, the gnarly root, the tree that hung over the
trail with pale green moss hanging from the branches and
yellow-brown ferns at the base of it. Like I said, try it
before you knock it.
c. They are interested in thrills. Riding a bike on a
trail, especially a trail containing many obstacles, or
a trail one is not familiar with, is very challenging.
(But if mountain biking is the high point of your week,
as it seems to be for many mountain bikers, you must be
leading a pretty dull life, off of the bike!) Hahahah!
Again, my friend, try it before you knock it! More
seriously, obstacles are far more underrated with the
mountain biking crowd than you seem to think they are.
The trail of choice, the holy grail of mountain bikers,
is singletrack—beautiful smooth trail, with nothing to
stop you from seeing how far you can push yourself.
Mountain biking is about endurance, fitness. People who
are in it for the thrills don't stay in for much longer
than a few months.
d. They are interested in building mountain biking skills
and competing with other mountain bikers. The thrill of
racing drives people to spend more money on their bike,
and ride it harder and more often. Racing, up to and
including the Olympics, drives a lot of mountain biking.
Of course, it is also extremely harmful to the parks and
natural areas that are used for practice! It is hard to
think of any other (legal) use of public lands, other
than hunting, that is as harmful as mountain biking.
Hello, mountain biking isn't an Olympic event. Good
morning. Today I'll explain why mountain bikers ride in
groups, or at least in pairs. S-A-F-E-T-Y. What is this
word, class? That's right, safety. Any outdoorsman or
nature activist or wilderness expert worth their weight
in mud would know that it's downright stupid to go
hiking, mountain biking, or horse-riding in any sort of
nature park by yourself. Isn't it also stupid to
misinterpret this safe attitude for a desire to race, to
compete? I will grant that there are mountain bike races,
but a little research will show that most of these races
take place on private property, much like most motocross
races, horse races, car races, and what-have-you. On top
of that, the pro racers have their own courses to
practice on. Just FYI. Sorry—that means "For Your
Information."

2. What is driving the sport of mountain biking? Besides the
attraction for participants, manufacturers and retailers
of mountain bikes and mountain biking accessories, as
well as "adventure" travel guides, make a lot of money
from promoting mountain biking. Even some auto
manufacturers (e.g. Subaru) promote and sponsor mountain
biking, and try to use its popularity to sell more cars.
Right. The thing that is driving mountain biking is
promotion. Now, all of us readers can tell you don't run
any sort of business, either. Promotion can't support a
sport, much less drive one. Honestly, I don't even know
where to begin with this one. If you really are a Ph.D.,
this must have been one of your high-on-things-you-grow-in-your-human-free-nature-
habitat theses.

3. What harm does mountain biking do?
a. Most obvious is the acceleration of erosion. Knobby tires
rip into the soil, loosening it and allowing rain to wash
it away. They also create V-shaped grooves that make
walking difficult or even dangerous. Now, I'm not an
expert in erosion, but all the physics courses I've ever
taken have explained the mechanics of motion pretty well.
When something rests on the surface of the earth, there
is the force of gravity pushing down, and something
called the NORMAL FORCE, denoted "N" pushing back up in a
manner equal and opposite to the force of gravity.
Motion, be it forward or backwards or sideways, is
independent of how much force is exerted on the ground,
because mass does not fluctuate from one point to
another. With this knowledge, I hope even you realize the
truth. The motion of anything—be it a horse, a human or a
bike—is parallel to the ground, and so no extra force is
exerted on the ground by motion. You following this so
far? I agree that mountain biking accelerates erosion,
but it would be (and in your case, IS) silly to argue
that the rolling wheel causes more erosion than walking.
To illustrate this, we will once again turn to physics.
With a rolling wheel, it isn't moving forward or
backwards when it touches the ground, and it isn't moving
forwards or backwards when it stops touching the ground.
The portion of the tire that touches the trail at any
point on the tire is moving straight up and straight down
relative to the trail. I don't really feel explaining it
all, you can choose to trust me or you can look into it
yourself, I don't care which. We'll assume you trust me.
So, the tire moves straight up and down, whereas the foot
of the person walking comes into contact with the ground
at an angle and leaves at an angle. Ever seen some
footprints in the perfectly smooth beach sand? Which is
worse for a trail, straight up and down motion or
footprints? And now you'll argue that the bikes go
farther—but if you're on a trail, you'll hike the same
distance the bikers were riding. Onward, to the next
splatter of drivel! At The mechanical advantagegiven by
the gears and ball bearings allow a mountain biker to
travel several times as fast as a hiker. Given their
increased weight (rider plus bike), this results in
vastly increased momentum, and hence much greater
horizontal (shearing) forces on the soil. (Witness the
skid marks from stops, starts, and turns.) According to
Newton, every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
Mountain bikes were built much stronger than other bikes,
so that they could withstand the greater forces they were
subject to on rough trails. These same forces, therefore,
are being applied to the trails! To start with, bearings
don't give mechanical advantage. They're just a mechanism
for decreasing friction in the system. Yes, bikes go
faster than a hiker, thank you. Glad you noticed that
much. However, as for increased weight—most trail bikes
are around twenty pounds. Do your research. Twenty
pounds. That's about equal (or less than) what an
experienced hiker should carry, I know because I am one.
Don't give me **** about there being 40+ pound bikes out
there, because those are not for trail riding, Ph.D.
Shearing forces from corners are legitimate, but unless
the bikes are somehow defying the laws of momentum and
friction which you yourself are trying to draw upon, they
are not skidding around the corners. This means that the
shearing forces at the turns in a trail are negligible
for bikes, as much so as they are for horses and
pedestrians. Skidding on stops happens, yes, as does
tripping and falling, thereby scuffing the dirt. Really,
some people even trip on those horrible V shaped ruts
that you urban-footed people can't seem to master…. But
as far as skidding from starting? Who are you kidding?
You know that bicycles are human-powered, right? How much
horsepower do you think trail bikes have? Silly, silly
guy. Yes, I know it's possible to skid your back tire
from a stop, and I also know you have to try really,
really hard to do it; don't try to argue that in an
official setting, you'll get laughed at.
b. A hiker must be very careful not to accidentally step on
small animals and plants on the trail. For a mountain
biker, it is almost impossible to avoid killing countless
animals and plants on and under the trail. They have to
pay attention to controlling the bike, and can't afford
to look carefully at what is on the trail, especially
when travelling fast. And even if they happen to see, for
example, a snake, it is hard for them to stop in time to
avoid killing it. Okay, something that apparently you, in
your infinite knowledge of all things natural, didn't
know: Stick to the trails! Bikers know that, that's why
they ask for more TRAILS (emphasis on the word TRAILS) to
be opened up for them. There are no plants on the trail!
If there are it's not a trail! In all my years riding and
hiking, I've only once encountered an animal on the road.
It was a young rattlesnake, maybe a foot and a half long,
laying just a little to the side of the trail. I stopped
about eight feet away, plotted a course around the snake,
and went on my way. None of the death and mayhem that you
predicted. On top of that, you rarely hear of a mountain
bike rider being bitten by any sort of animal and dying.
Compare that to hikers, most of whom don't carry the
right equipment when they go hiking. What has a worse
impact on the fauna, a person passing through but not
disturbing, or a person being attacked, be it in self-
defense or not, and then having any number of humans
rushing around to get help? Furthermore, as I said
earlier, it doesn't take nearly as much attention to
control the bike as you seem to think—and even if it did,
watching the trail is the most important aspect of
control (if you pay more attention to trying to keeping
you balance then you shouldn't be riding—you can't ride,
at all, period, without watching the trail completely),
so even then how would we manage to miss something like
an animal or bush on the trail?
c. A hiker, when crossing a creek, will try to avoid getting
wet, by crossing on stepping stones or logs. Mountain
bikers, on the other hand, simply ride right through the
creek bed, crushing any animals or plants that happen to
be there. Mountain biking magazines are full of photos of
mountain bikers throwing up spray, as they barrel through
creeks. You got me there, pal. We sure do kill all the
aquatic life that has already been trampled by people
crossing… And gosh, you're right, those horses are very
careful to pick their paths across streams so as not to
hurt any animals…
d. Bikes also allow people to travel several times as far as
a hiker. This translates into several times the impacts,
both on the trail and on the wildlife (to say nothing of
the other trail users). Sure, except as I explained
earlier, bikes don't impact, they roll, so the motion
while in contact with the ground is zero. Hikers and
horses impact. Stay with me, pal, you can do it! Existing
parklands are already inadequate to protect the wildlife
that live there. When they are crisscrossed by mountain
bikers and legal or illegal trails, their habitat becomes
even more inadequate. Mountain bikers frequently
advertise rides of 20-50 miles or more. Have you ever
tried to walk that far in a day? Yes, I have tried and
succeeded to walk that far in a day. People can easily
walk two miles in twenty mintues. So, a 20-50 mile hike
is a day hike. Savvy? On top of that, you can't create
new trails on a mountain bike. You have to stick to ones
already there, which translates: the horrible bike paths
that mountain bikers use are created by hikers.
e. Due to their width and speed, bikes can't safely pass
each other on narrow trails. Therefore, policies that
permit mountain biking also result in more habitat
destruction, as trails are widened by bikers (or by
hikers and equestrians jumping out of their way). You're
just flat out wrong there, funny-man. Do you know what
the width of a bike's handlebar is? It's two inches
longer than most people's waist is wide. Not as wide as
most people's shoulders, because it's uncomfortable and
unstable if it is. And what of the wheel width? Most
trail bikes run between 2.1" and 2.5" tires, considerably
narrower than even a single human foot. So, your idea
that somehow trails are made wider by bikes is bogus. And
it's common knowledge, (Or maybe not, to you anyway) that
when you encounter equestrians on the trail, bicycles
give way, and when hikers encounter bicycles, pedestrians
give way. Most hikers don't read the brochures at Ranger
stations and the like. Yet they complain anyway.
f. Knobby mountain bike tires are ideal for carrying mud,
and consequently exotic plants and fungi, from place to
place, resulting in the spread of exotic invasive
species, such as weeds and Sudden Oak Death. Gee, knobbys
carry mud? Down with the 4x4's, motorcycles, hikers with
hiking boots on, walking sticks, and anything else that
carrys mud! Evil! The lot of them!
g. Mountain biking is driving the very young and old off of
the trails and hence out of the parks. Even able-bodied
hikers and equestrians fear for their safety, and don't
enjoy sharing the trails with bikes. Again, pulling
thoughts out of your head without a shred of evidence.
Even an unofficial poll of people would be better than
just stupidly stating that people fear to go into parks.
Don't cast your own paranoia on the communities that
have to put up with your presence. (The mountain bikers
claim that they are simply being selfish and "unwilling
to share", but actually they have no problem sharing
trails with mountain bikers; it is only their bikes that
are a problem!) Again we come back to this problem of
pulling things out of your head; I don't know a single
mountain biker who would make that argument, and believe
me I know many from all over the world. Also, we
encounter your earlier contradiction, so I'll say again:
Mountain bikers without bikes aren't mountain bikers,
they're hikers. Okay?
h. Mountain bikes, which are obviously built to go anywhere,
teach children and anyone else who sees them that the
rough treatment of nature is acceptable. This undoubtedly
has a negative effect on people's treatment of nature.
Thank god for Ph.D.'s like you who can set our youth back
on the straight and narrow! Wacko….
i. In order to mitigate bike-caused erosion, park managers
have been resorting to extreme measures -- even in some
cases putting a plastic matrix or other exotic material
under the trail (e.g. in Pleasanton Ridge Regional
Preserve, near Pleasanton, California)! It's hard to
imagine that this will have a beneficial effect on the
park and its wildlife…. And it's also fanciful thinking
to believe or argue that hiker and horse traffic didn't
play a major role in the problems there.

3. Mountain bikers claim that their sport has no greater
environmental impact than hiking. Is that true? If you
read the "studies" that make that claim, you find that
they don't really compare the impacts of hiking and
mountain biking, but only the impacts per foot. If, for a
moment, we assume that the studies are correct in their
having equivalent impacts per foot, it would still follow
that mountain biking has far greater impact per person,
since mountain bikers typically travel so much farther
than hikers. Here you go again! I've explained earlier
the physics behind this, and how someone is going to hike
the same distance that bikers ride, so this whole
argument is bunk. Besides overlooking distances
travelled, those "studies" almost all ignore impacts on
wildlife. And they don't study mountain biking under
normal conditions -- only at a very slow speed. It's
apparent that you don't know what normal conditions are.
However, since yet again you don't elaborate, it's not
worth creating a whole set of things you might have said
so that I can refute them.

4. Where should mountain biking allowed? Obviously, in a
sustainable and low impact environment. A model for this
is in Wales, try doing a google search for Dafydd Davis.
Unsupported arguments and fanatical frenzy are not a good
way to make public policy. A couple of role models for
wildlife protection are Yosemite National Park and East
Bay Municipal Utility District (in Alameda and Contra
Costa counties, California). They both restrict bicycles
to paved roads, where they can't do much harm. Somehow
bicyclists have managed to enjoy their sport for over a
hundred years, without riding off-road. You wrote this
entire article, and forgot that you're writing about
mountain bikes?

5. What should the policy be on trails? Closed to bikes,
unless marked open. Signs that say "No Bikes" are quickly
and repeatedly ripped out of the ground by mountain
bikers. I agree, except on your contention that bikers
are vandals. I also think this policy should apply to
equestrians, because I'm sick of tip-toeing through horse
piles when I go hiking.

6. Isn't it discriminatory to allow hikers and equestrians
on trails, but not mountain bikers? Yes, and if you look
at those studies that you so lovingly mislead readers
about, you would understand why. Mountain bikers love to
tell this lie, apparently because they think it will gain
them some sympathy. Sure thing, bud. The truth is that
mountain bikers have exactly the same access to trails
that everyone else has! It is only their bikes that are
banned. If mountain bikers were really being
discriminated against, they could easily go to court to
gain access. But we don't find it that much of an issue.
Why do you continue to fight when you are wrong? And more
and more studies are showing that you are wrong? And why
do you continue to not see the ridiculous puzzle of
having mountain bikers with no bikes? They are hikers,
you silly guy!

7. Don't I have a right to mountain bike on all public
lands? I am a taxpayer! Yes! However…. The public has the
right, through its elected representatives, to restrict
how land is used. As you say. A federal court has already
ruled that there is no right to mountain bike. It is a
privilege, and any land manager who gives a good reason
(such as safety or protecting the environment) can keep
bikes off of trails (see
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/mtb10.htm).

8. Don't mountain bikers do some good things, like trail
construction and trail maintenance? Trail construction
destroys wildlife habitat both directly (by killing
plants and animals) and indirectly (by reducing the size
of the intervening "islands" of habitat). Indeed we do,
and what you are deliberately neglecting is that hiking
and particularly equestrian trails take far more
maintenance and construction due to the more destructive
nature of the forces upon it. Moreover, mountain bikers
favor trails that are "twisty" (sinuous), bumpy, and full
of obstacles that provide thrills for mountain bikers.
Again, you're wrong, you're not a rider, it's foolish for
you to make pronouncements as to what riders like and
dislike. Please read again my response to item 1.c . Such
designs increase habitat destruction (by lengthening the
trail) and make the trails less useful for hikers and
equestrians. Trail maintenance sounds good, until you
realize that it would hardly be necessary, if bikes
weren't allowed there. The mountain bikers are the main
reason why trail maintenance is necessary! Trails used
only by hikers require hardly any maintenance. Fanciful
thinking. You're no Ph.D. Nor are you even aware of what
maintenance goes in to hiking trails, much less hiking-
equestrian trails. Therefore, admitting bicycles to a
park greatly increases its cost of maintenance. Nothing
is really "free", including trail construction and
maintenance. (How does the saying go? "Beware of Trojans
bearing gifts"?) Vegitarians eat vegetables. Beware of
humanitarians.

9. But don't mountain bikers provide added safety, by being
able to quickly summon help in the event of an emergency?
I would rather trust in a cell phone, than a speeding
mountain biker. Of course you would, so that fifteen more
people can trample through nature to rescue you. Besides,
natural areas are already one of the safest places you
can be. In over 50 years of hiking and backpacking, I
have never witnessed any situation requiring emergency
aid. Most people go to natural areas partly for solitude.
As do mountain bikers my friend. As do we all. If we
wanted to be around large, fast-moving pieces of
machinery, we would stay in the city! From the sound of
it, you spend most of your time in the city and not
enough time around the things that you argue against.
Where is your study on the erosion caused by bicycles
relative to equestrians and hikers? If the common sense
answer and the many studies done on the issue aren't
enough for you, why haven't you posted your own results
instead of an attempt to sound authoritative in which you
ended up looking rather foolish? Please, don't
misunderstand me. I'm a supporter of what you're trying
to do, and I agree that humanity has a huge, most likely
irreparable impact on nature. However, I think that to
advocate the end of biking without supporting similar
limitation to ALL human excursions into nature is a
foolish and biased approach to a problem that most bikers
understand and appreciate more fully than any other
singular group of outdoorsmen. Like I said, get out there
and find out what you're even fighting for, and stop
wasting people's time with baseless arguments.

mrwizard

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits
to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande Post a follow-up to
this message

mr wizard wrote:
> Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Have I forgotten anything?
> Have I forgotten anything?

{Hugh Jass Memorial Snip}

Mr. Vandiot has finally met his match...at posting impossible-to-
read drivel!!!

Bill "quotation, attribution...really not that difficult" S.

On 15 Mar 2004 15:46:09 -0800, [email protected] (mr wizard) wrote:

.Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... .>
Have I forgotten anything? .Have I forgotten anything? .
.Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking .Michael
Vandeman, Ph.D. .March 5, 2004 . .First of all, what is
your Ph.D. in?

Psychology.

Because I'll be completely honest .and say that I'm not
impressed with your reasoning abilities,

And you are an expert because?

to say .nothing of the way you attempt (or, more
accurately, DON'T attempt) to .back up your arguments. .1.
Why do people mountain bike? .a. They are too lazy to walk.
When you claimed this, you announced to .the world that you
were not a mountain biker, nor a bike rider of any .kind.
Bicycling takes fitness, concentration and skill and
anybody .who goes trail riding knows this.

Laziness is relative. Mountain bikers obviously aren't too
lazy to mountain bike, but too lazy to HIKE.

Many of them say that using a bike .allows .them to get
much farther, in the same amount of time, than they can by
.walking. None of the trail riders, and I mean literally
NONE of the .trail riders would say this. This is
something you pulled out of your .own head, or maybe you
talked to people who ride road bikes?

No, I have read it many times in your newsgroups or
listservs.

The .point is, mtb riders don't go riding for the distance,
most don't even .know exactly how far they've ridden at the
end of the day. We go .trail riding to challenge ourselves
as much as for the exercise value, .just as hikers don't go
hiking just for the hell of it.

Not an appropriate use of a park. It's not a race course.

Nobody rides .trails on a bike because they can "get much
farther." .They also maintain constant pressure on land
managers, to open more .and more .trails to bikes. Of
course, all of these trails are already open to .them, if
.they choose to walk. They also frequently claim that
closing trails to .bikes ."excludes" them from the parks.
This could only be true if they .refused to walk. Where I
live, we recently received an area of land .from the local
wilderness authority to be used for trail riding. The
.only reason we needed and wanted this was because all the
other trails .in the area have been closed, most notably
the Otero Canyon.

That's a LIE. ALL trails are open to mountain bikers.
All you have to do is WALK (except that you are too lazy
to do so)!

And you .make me laugh when you say that the trails
wouldn't be closed to us if .we didn't refuse to walk,
because if we're walking we're not mountain .bikers
anymore, silly guy.

That's a LIE. You don't stop being a mountain biker, just
because you walk a few feet, or go to the bathroom, etc.

Apparently you haven't thought about the .tricky bits of
your statement, have you? Let me put it in what I hope .is
a painfully obvious way. I'll include quotation marks for
your .mental ease. "If a person is not on a bike, then
he/she is not a .mountain biker."

BS.

Unless you are taking up a quest against anybody who .would
IDENTIFY themselves as a mountain biker, I think you had
better .realize that as soon as you take the mountain bike
away from a person, .they're no longer a mountain biker.

Then why do people in public hearings identify themselves as
mountain bikers? Are they LYING again? By your reasoning,
they are LYING.

See how it works? So saying that .mountain bikers could
just walk the trails is contradictory, it just .doesn't
make sense. Mountain bikers aren't mountain bikers without
.the bike. We want access to trails, and that means access
WITH A .BIKE. See?

Yes. I see that you are too lazy to walk.

I hope I made that fairly major contradiction in your
.argument a little more clear for you. .(There's nothing
inherently wrong with laziness; we all like to save
.energy, .when it's appropriate. Use of a bicycle to
replace automobile use is .obviously .beneficial. However,
by the same token, replacing hiking with mountain .biking
is .obviously not beneficial.) .Funny that you should talk
about laziness and replacing cars with .bikes, because as I
stated above, you obviously don't ride bikes.

How would you know. Actually, I have been most likely biking
longer than you are alive.

In .fact, on what may be a rather unkind personal note, I'd
be willing to .bet that you drive either a 4x4 truck or
SUV, so you can reach those .hard-to-get-to habitats that
need your rescuing.

Sorry, I don't own a motor vehicle. But I am willing to bet
that YOU do!

.b. They are interested in the quantity of nature they can
see, rather .than .the quality of their experience. Don't
even go there, bud. Again, .try riding before you pull
unsupported statements out of your head and .post them on
the internet. Speaking as someone who has been around .the
world (literally) more than once, you don't know what you're
.talking about. .While riding a bike, especially over
terrain as .rough as a trail, one has to be constantly
paying attention to not .crashing. .That make it almost
impossible to notice much else. I'm realizing at .this point
how much of your argument is based on simple ignorance.

Nope, EXPERIENCE.

A .fairly novice rider (I'm saying someone older than 13,
younger than .that I won't argue with you) can easily keep
track of the trail, and .still be caught up in the beauty
surrounding him/her. And someone who .is comfortable
riding trails can easily be immersed in what they're
.experiencing. I can jus hear the arguments, "He said
immersed! That .means they aren't paying attention!" Silly
people. If hikers are so .cosmically connected to nature,
why are they always spooked when mtb .riders go past them?
We can certainly hear them before we see them. .And that's
when we're going fast. Going slow, I'm sure mtb riders can
.all attest to hearing words like, "Whoa! Hey, I didn't
see you .coming!" even when going just jogging speed past
a hiker. .By contrast, a hiker feels the ground, hears all
the sounds and smells .all the odors of nature and can
stop instantly, if he/she finds .something interesting.
The brain thrives on .stimulation. A biker has to travel
several times as far as a hiker, to .get the .same
stimulation as a hiker. (And, by the same token,
motorcyclists .have to .travel several times as far as a
bicyclist, and an auto user several .times as .far as a
motorcyclist, since they are enclosed in a metal box.) I
.disagree here for the same reason I disagree above. I
have hiked .through rainforests and deserts in Australia,
through beautiful .scenery in New Zealand all the way to
Scotland, and have been mountain .biking all across the
US. It's the biking trips that I remember in .far more
detail, the gnarly root, the tree that hung over the trail
.with pale green moss hanging from the branches and yellow-
brown ferns .at the base of it. Like I said, try it before
you knock it.

It is physically impossible to pay attention to nature &
controlling the bike at the same time.

.c. They are interested in thrills. Riding a bike on a
trail, .especially a .trail containing many obstacles, or a
trail one is not familiar with, .is very .challenging. (But
if mountain biking is the high point of your week, .as it
seems .to be for many mountain bikers, you must be leading a
pretty dull .life, off of .the bike!) Hahahah! Again, my
friend, try it before you knock it! .More seriously,
obstacles are far more underrated with the mountain .biking
crowd than you seem to think they are. The trail of choice,
.the holy grail of mountain bikers, is singletrack—beautiful
smooth .trail, with nothing to stop you from seeing how far
you can push .yourself. Mountain biking is about endurance,
fitness. People who .are in it for the thrills don't stay in
for much longer than a few .months.

So I guess no one races.... Liar.

.d. They are interested in building mountain biking skills
and .competing .with other mountain bikers. The thrill of
racing drives people to .spend more .money on their bike,
and ride it harder and more often. Racing, up to .and
.including the Olympics, drives a lot of mountain biking. Of
course, it .is also .extremely harmful to the parks and
natural areas that are used for .practice! It .is hard to
think of any other (legal) use of public lands, other than
.hunting, .that is as harmful as mountain biking. Hello,
mountain biking isn't an .Olympic event.

Yes, it, liar.

Good morning. Today I'll explain why mountain bikers .ride
in groups, or at least in pairs. S-A-F-E-T-Y. What is this
.word, class? That's right, safety. Any outdoorsman or
nature .activist or wilderness expert worth their weight
in mud would know .that it's downright stupid to go
hiking, mountain biking, or .horse-riding in any sort of
nature park by yourself. Isn't it also .stupid to
misinterpret this safe attitude for a desire to race, to
.compete? I will grant that there are mountain bike races,
but a .little research will show that most of these races
take place on .private property, much like most motocross
races, horse races, car .races, and what-have-you. On top
of that, the pro racers have their .own courses to
practice on. Just FYI. Sorry—that means "For Your
.Information."

I have seen many races on public lands, a totally
inappropriate use of public land.

.2. What is driving the sport of mountain biking? Besides
the .attraction for .participants, manufacturers and
retailers of mountain bikes and .mountain biking
.accessories, as well as "adventure" travel guides, make a
lot of money .from .promoting mountain biking. Even some
auto manufacturers (e.g. Subaru) .promote .and sponsor
mountain biking, and try to use its popularity to sell .more
cars. .Right. The thing that is driving mountain biking is
promotion. Now, .all of us readers can tell you don't run
any sort of business, either.
. Promotion can't support a sport, much less drive one.
Honestly, I .don't even know where to begin with this one.
If you really are a .Ph.D., this must have been one of
your .high-on-things-you-grow-in-your-human-free-nature-
habitat theses.

Subaru and REI both pay for MTB trail construction. Just
2 examples.

.3. What harm does mountain biking do? .a. Most obvious is
the acceleration of erosion. Knobby tires rip into .the
.soil, loosening it and allowing rain to wash it away. They
also create .V-shaped .grooves that make walking difficult
or even dangerous. Now, I'm not .an expert in erosion, but
all the physics courses I've ever taken have .explained the
mechanics of motion pretty well. When something rests .on
the surface of the earth, there is the force of gravity
pushing .down, and something called the NORMAL FORCE,
denoted "N" pushing back .up in a manner equal and opposite
to the force of gravity. Motion, be .it forward or backwards
or sideways, is independent of how much force .is exerted on
the ground, because mass does not fluctuate from one .point
to another.

But whan you jump up or down, you increase the force on the
ground. Similarly, acceleration, braking, & turning
increases horizontal force on the ground.

With this knowledge, I hope even you realize the .truth.
The motion of anything—be it a horse, a human or a
bike—is .parallel to the ground, and so no extra force
is exerted on the ground .by motion.

So you never accelerate or brake or turn? Unlikely.

You following this so far? I agree that mountain biking
.accelerates erosion, but it would be (and in your case,
IS) silly to .argue that the rolling wheel causes more
erosion than walking.

No, it isn't.

To .illustrate this, we will once again turn to physics.
With a rolling .wheel, it isn't moving forward or backwards
when it touches the .ground, and it isn't moving forwards
or backwards when it stops .touching the ground. The
portion of the tire that touches the trail .at any point on
the tire is moving straight up and straight down .relative
to the trail.

So you never accelerate or brake or turn or skid? Liar.

I don't really feel explaining it all, you can .choose to
trust me or you can look into it yourself, I don't care
.which. We'll assume you trust me. So, the tire moves
straight up and .down, whereas the foot of the person
walking comes into contact with .the ground at an angle
and leaves at an angle. Ever seen some .footprints in the
perfectly smooth beach sand? Which is worse for a .trail,
straight up and down motion or footprints?

Tires, because of the horizontal forces.

And now you'll .argue that the bikes go farther—but if
you're on a trail, you'll hike .the same distance the
bikers were riding.

Impossible. They travel a lot farther than I can hike in a
day.

Onward, to the next .splatter of drivel! At The mechanical
advantagegiven by the gears and .ball bearings allow a
mountain biker to travel several times as fast .as a
hiker. Given their increased weight (rider plus bike),
this .results in vastly increased momentum, and hence much
greater .horizontal .(shearing) forces on the soil.
(Witness the skid marks from stops, .starts, and .turns.)
According to Newton, every action has an equal and
opposite .reaction. .Mountain bikes were built much
stronger than other bikes, so that they .could .withstand
the greater forces they were subject to on rough trails.
.These same .forces, therefore, are being applied to the
trails! To start with, .bearings don't give mechanical
advantage. They're just a mechanism .for decreasing
friction in the system.

Right, which allows you to go faster.

Yes, bikes go faster than a .hiker, thank you. Glad you
noticed that much. However, as for .increased weight—most
trail bikes are around twenty pounds. Do your .research.
Twenty pounds.

You are lying. They weigh a lot more than that.

That's about equal (or less than) what an .experienced
hiker should carry, I know because I am one. Don't give
.me **** about there being 40+ pound bikes out there,
because those are .not for trail riding, Ph.D. Shearing
forces from corners are .legitimate, but unless the bikes
are somehow defying the laws of .momentum and friction
which you yourself are trying to draw upon, they .are not
skidding around the corners.

So all the skid marks I see are my imagination? Unlikely.

This means that the shearing .forces at the turns in a
trail are negligible for bikes, as much so as .they are
for horses and pedestrians. Skidding on stops happens,
yes, .as does tripping and falling, thereby scuffing the
dirt. Really, some .people even trip on those horrible V
shaped ruts that you urban-footed .people can't seem to
master…. But as far as skidding from starting? .Who are
you kidding?

Acceleration creates shear forces, ripping the soil.

You know that bicycles are human-powered, right?
. How much horsepower do you think trail bikes have? Silly,
silly guy. .Yes, I know it's possible to skid your back
tire from a stop, and I .also know you have to try really,
really hard to do it; don't try to .argue that in an
official setting, you'll get laughed at. .b. A hiker must
be very careful not to accidentally step on small .animals
.and plants on the trail. For a mountain biker, it is
almost impossible .to avoid .killing countless animals and
plants on and under the trail. They have .to pay
.attention to controlling the bike, and can't afford to
look carefully .at what is .on the trail, especially when
travelling fast. And even if they happen .to see, .for
example, a snake, it is hard for them to stop in time to
avoid .killing it. .Okay, something that apparently you,
in your infinite knowledge of all .things natural, didn't
know: Stick to the trails! Bikers know that, .that's why
they ask for more TRAILS (emphasis on the word TRAILS) to
.be opened up for them. There are no plants on the trail!

You are lying. There are always plants and animals on
the trail or next to it. Bikers also don't stay on the
trail. They even make new trails, killing even more
animals & plants.

If there .are it's not a trail! In all my years riding and
hiking, I've only .once encountered an animal on the road.

You don't even know what you have squashed, I guess you
forget that insects are also animals....

[...]

You can't look right at the trail, or you will crash. Just
as a driver can't look down at the pavement.

.c. A hiker, when crossing a creek, will try to avoid
getting wet, by .crossing on stepping stones or logs.
Mountain bikers, on the other .hand, simply .ride right
through the creek bed, crushing any animals or plants that
.happen to .be there. Mountain biking magazines are full of
photos of mountain .bikers .throwing up spray, as they
barrel through creeks. .You got me there, pal. We sure do
kill all the aquatic life that has .already been trampled by
people crossing…

No, people don't walk through the water.

And gosh, you're right, .those horses are very careful
to pick their paths across streams so as .not to hurt
any animals…

Irrelevant.

.d. Bikes also allow people to travel several times as far
as a hiker. .This .translates into several times the
impacts, both on the trail and on .the wildlife .(to say
nothing of the other trail users). Sure, except as I
.explained earlier, bikes don't impact, they roll, so the
motion while .in contact with the ground is zero.

When they roll, the knobs dig into the soil & rip it up.

Hikers and horses impact. Stay .with me, pal, you can do
it! .Existing parklands are already inadequate to protect
the wildlife that .live there. When they are crisscrossed
by mountain bikers and legal or .illegal trails, their
habitat becomes even more .inadequate. Mountain bikers
frequently advertise rides of 20-50 miles .or more. .Have
you ever tried to walk that far in a day? Yes, I have tried
and .succeeded to walk that far in a day. People can easily
walk two miles .in twenty mintues. So, a 20-50 mile hike is
a day hike. Savvy?

So they never get tired? You are full of it.

On .top of that, you can't create new trails on a
mountain bike.

BS.

You have .to stick to ones already there, which translates:
the horrible bike .paths that mountain bikers use are
created by hikers. .e. Due to their width and speed, bikes
can't safely pass each other on .narrow trails. Therefore,
policies that permit mountain biking also .result in .more
habitat destruction, as trails are widened by bikers (or by
.hikers and .equestrians jumping out of their way). You're
just flat out wrong .there, funny-man. Do you know what the
width of a bike's handlebar .is? It's two inches longer
than most people's waist is wide. Not as .wide as most
people's shoulders, because it's uncomfortable and
.unstable if it is.

BS.

And what of the wheel width? Most trail bikes run .between
2.1" and 2.5" tires, considerably narrower than even a
single .human foot. So, your idea that somehow trails are
made wider by bikes .is bogus.

So the tracks I see off the trail are just in my
imagination? Liar.

And it's common knowledge, (Or maybe not, to you anyway)
.that when you encounter equestrians on the trail,
bicycles give way, .and when hikers encounter bicycles,
pedestrians give way. Most hikers .don't read the
brochures at Ranger stations and the like. Yet they
.complain anyway. .f. Knobby mountain bike tires are ideal
for carrying mud, and .consequently .exotic plants and
fungi, from place to place, resulting in the spread .of
exotic .invasive species, such as weeds and Sudden Oak
Death. Gee, knobbys .carry mud? Down with the 4x4's,
motorcycles, hikers with hiking boots .on, walking sticks,
and anything else that carrys mud! Evil! The lot .of them!
.g. Mountain biking is driving the very young and old off
of the trails .and .hence out of the parks. Even able-
bodied hikers and equestrians fear .for their .safety, and
don't enjoy sharing the trails with bikes. Again, pulling
.thoughts out of your head without a shred of evidence.
Even an .unofficial poll of people would be better than
just stupidly stating .that people fear to go into parks.
Don't cast your own paranoia on .the communities that have
to put up with your presence.

Many people have told me that, and I have seen the results.

(The mountain .bikers .claim that they are simply being
selfish and "unwilling to share", but .actually .they have
no problem sharing trails with mountain bikers; it is only
.their bikes .that are a problem!) Again we come back to
this problem of pulling .things out of your head; I don't
know a single mountain biker who .would make that argument,
and believe me I know many from all over the .world.

I have heard them do so many times.

Also, we encounter your earlier contradiction, so I'll say
.again: Mountain bikers without bikes aren't mountain
bikers, they're .hikers. Okay?

Liar.

.h. Mountain bikes, which are obviously built to go
anywhere, teach .children .and anyone else who sees them
that the rough treatment of nature is .acceptable. .This
undoubtedly has a negative effect on people's treatment of
.nature. Thank god for Ph.D.'s like you who can set our
youth back on .the straight and narrow! Wacko…. .i. In order
to mitigate bike-caused erosion, park managers have been
.resorting to extreme measures -- even in some cases putting
a plastic .matrix or .other exotic material under the trail
(e.g. in Pleasanton Ridge .Regional .Preserve, near
Pleasanton, California)! It's hard to imagine that this
.will have .a beneficial effect on the park and its
wildlife…. And it's also .fanciful thinking to believe or
argue that hiker and horse traffic .didn't play a major role
in the problems there.

They didn't. This has never been done to hiker- or
horse trails.

.3. Mountain bikers claim that their sport has no greater
environmental .impact .than hiking. Is that true? If you
read the "studies" that make that .claim, you .find that
they don't really compare the impacts of hiking and
mountain .biking, .but only the impacts per foot. If, for a
moment, we assume that the .studies are .correct in their
having equivalent impacts per foot, it would still .follow
that .mountain biking has far greater impact per person,
since mountain .bikers .typically travel so much farther
than hikers. Here you go again! .I've explained earlier the
physics behind this, and how someone is .going to hike the
same distance that bikers ride, so this whole .argument is
bunk. Besides overlooking distances .travelled, those
[...]

No.

.5. What should the policy be on trails? Closed to bikes,
unless marked .open. .Signs that say "No Bikes" are
quickly and repeatedly ripped out of the .ground by
.mountain bikers. I agree, except on your contention that
bikers are .vandals.

It's true. I have seen it several times.

[...]

Yawn.

.mrwizard . .=== .I am working on creating wildlife