Friend new to cycle commuting

A good friend of mine has moved recently and is now 12km's from his
place of work. He lives in Upwey and works in Scoresby; apparently
there's a pretty good cycle path he can use.

He's pretty much a couch potato and keen to do something about it.
Naturally I want to do as much as I can to make the transition to car
bound couch potato to freedom machine enjoying cyclist as painless as
possible. What follows is a working draft on what I think he should
sort out. If I've left anything glaring out, please comment :)

Bike, not been used much since he's got it so get it serviced
professionally.

Equipment needed, just to get started:

High visibility vest or similar

Sun block

Sunnies

Water bottle

Wash kit and towel to leave at work

Puncture kit

Tire levers

Spare tubes

Lights

Equipment if he gets in to it:

SPD pedals and shoes

Panniers

Skills:

Ensure you know how to change your inner tube before you need to do it
in anger, practice practice practice.

Cadence, fast light pedaling.

Read cycling related road rules available from
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne...6EC900144F1A-DE5F0BE6035DEB4ACA256BB900267CF8

Stretch after ride, examples:
http://www.velogirls.com/stretching_photos.html
--
Cheers
Euan

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

[...]

> possible. What follows is a working draft on what I think he should
> sort out. If I've left anything glaring out, please comment :)

I didn't see a lock.

--

A: Top-posters.

> I didn't see a lock.
>
> --
>
> A: Top-posters.
> Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

and a helmet

and gloves

and a pump.

and a 'puter.

and ....

hang on, we don't want to scare him off. Just get him on the bike with the
bare minimum. Tell him its easy and he doesn't need anything more than what
he's probably already got.

Get him hooked first and THEN reel him in. JOIN USssss JOIN USssssss

Flaps.

> He's pretty much a couch potato and keen to do something about it.
> Naturally I want to do as much as I can to make the transition to car
> bound couch potato to freedom machine enjoying cyclist as painless as
> possible. What follows is a working draft on what I think he should
> sort out. If I've left anything glaring out, please comment :)

Not wanting to see AFHT (another f'ing helmet thread),
would he be wanting a helmet?

Is he going to be carrying his clothes to work?
Does he need a backpack?

Does he have access to a shower?

> Puncture kit
> Tire levers
> Spare tubes

Saddlebag or similar to hold these?

What sort of bike does he have? Does it need to
be slicked up? Gearing suitable for him and any
hills - we don't want him crying when he can't climb
that first hill..

> Equipment if he gets in to it:
> SPD pedals and shoes

:)

> Panniers

Ptooie! ;-)

> Ensure you know how to change your inner tube before you need to do it
> in anger, practice practice practice.

Teach him how to repair the tubes too, so he's not up
for $7+ every tube.
Show him how to correctly inflate tyres to suitable pressure.
Driveline maintenance/lubrication?

hth
hippy

flaps> and a helmet

Covered.

flaps> and gloves

Good one, thanks.

flaps> and a pump.

Thought that'd be covered in puncture kit, be good for him to get a
track pump though.

flaps> and a 'puter.

For commuting? I've not felt the need for a cycle computer although I
do use a HRM. What are the benefits of fitting a cycle computer to the
bike? And what would you recommend for a commuter?

flaps> hang on, we don't want to scare him off. Just get him on the
flaps> bike with the bare minimum. Tell him its easy and he doesn't
flaps> need anything more than what he's probably already got.

flaps> Get him hooked first and THEN reel him in. JOIN USssss JOIN
flaps> USssssss

Hee hee, softly softly catchee monkey :)
--
Cheers
Euan

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 at 03:26 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
>> He's pretty much a couch potato and keen to do something about it.
>> Naturally I want to do as much as I can to make the transition to car
>> bound couch potato to freedom machine enjoying cyclist as painless as
>> possible. What follows is a working draft on what I think he should
>> sort out. If I've left anything glaring out, please comment :)

> Not wanting to see AFHT (another f'ing helmet thread),
> would he be wanting a helmet?
>
> Is he going to be carrying his clothes to work?
> Does he need a backpack?

I was thinking panniers straight off, not waiting to see whether you
will indeed take commuting up. It makes life so much easier, and
commuting so much more enjoyable[1]. Hence it will make you more
likely to keep going at it. Maybe don't bother with the $200 dollar
set though, just yet (although they *really* are waterproof, as I
found out when that insane rain went through last week).

But the suggestion of SPDs once you know you will keep commuting --
for a commuter, what is wrong with toe-clips? So much cheaper, and
more convenient. In fact, you might as well get the toe clips now, if
you don't already.

>> Equipment if he gets in to it:
>> SPD pedals and shoes

>:)
>
>> Panniers

> Ptooie! ;-)

Oh. Shut up :)

[1] I used to very carefully have to plan my shopping, and if I needed
kitty litter or icecream (and the latter is always very urgent, and
needs to be frequently bought), then I couldn't get anything else
largish. The other night, I had to get both, and a whole bunch of
other shopping, and it all fit in one pannier. This is handy, because
the shop is on the way home, and at the top of a hill - I don't want
to have to go back there if I ran out of room first time.

A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation. --unk

> flaps> and a 'puter.
> For commuting? I've not felt the need for a cycle computer although I
> do use a HRM. What are the benefits of fitting a cycle computer to the
> bike? And what would you recommend for a commuter?

A cheap one. It can be useful motivation..

Dude: Hey missus, I've ridden over 100k this week!
Missus: That's nice dear.

Okay, bad example, but I used to use my computer
to brag about all kinds of stats (in my mind). I'd see
how fast I could do my commute, see what my
fastest speed was, highest average speed, how many
kays I could do in a day.. all that kind of stuff. Maybe
it only applies to me coz I like stats but I think quite a
few other people take the same interest in their own
performance. If he can measure himself and notice he's
getting faster - he must be getting fitter (or cheating) so
he's healthier.. etc..etc.. so riding rocks.. so he becomes
addicted.. buys lots of bike stuff.. starts posting here..
gets other friends addicted.. cars are no longer needed
because everyone is riding.. the world is a happy place..

hippy

"TimC" <[email protected]
> I was thinking panniers straight off, not waiting to see whether you
> will indeed take commuting up. It makes life so much easier, and
> commuting so much more enjoyable[1]. Hence it will make you more
> likely to keep going at it. Maybe don't bother with the $200 dollar
> set though, just yet (although they *really* are waterproof, as I
> found out when that insane rain went through last week).

While I'm selling all my ****.. I have a set of cheaper
panniers and a rack here that someone might want to buy?

> But the suggestion of SPDs once you know you will keep commuting --
> for a commuter, what is wrong with toe-clips? So much cheaper, and
> more convenient. In fact, you might as well get the toe clips now, if
> you don't already.

Hmm.. if anything I'd go for SPD as soon as possible, having
done the flats->toe-clip->spd transition. Maybe get the flat+spd
pedals so he can use either cycling shoes or normal shoes.
Initially straps 'are' a cheap option, but for them to work
properly you need them tight and most newbs wont do that,
in which case they may as well have plain flat pedals.

> >> Panniers

> > Ptooie! ;-)

> Oh. Shut up :)

Oooh TimC uses panniers.. nyer nyer TimC uses panniers.. nyer ;-P

> [1] I used to very carefully have to plan my shopping, and if I needed
> kitty litter or icecream (and the latter is always very urgent, and
> needs to be frequently bought), then I couldn't get anything else

Which reminds me.. I need to get something from the freezer..
back in a jiffy..

> largish. The other night, I had to get both, and a whole bunch of
> other shopping, and it all fit in one pannier. This is handy, because
> the shop is on the way home, and at the top of a hill - I don't want
> to have to go back there if I ran out of room first time.

But, more riding = good ;-)

I think my bag is actually bigger than one of my panniers..
certainly looks cooler hehe ;-)

hippy

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 at 04:30 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> "TimC" <[email protected]
>> [1] I used to very carefully have to plan my shopping, and if I needed
>> kitty litter or icecream (and the latter is always very urgent, and
>> needs to be frequently bought), then I couldn't get anything else

> Which reminds me.. I need to get something from the freezer..
> back in a jiffy..

Damn you!

<AOL>Me too!!11!!</AOL>

"Eddies in the space time continuum"
"Oh. Is he?" -- Zem?

"TimC" <[email protected]
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 at 04:30 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> > "TimC" <[email protected]
> >> [1] I used to very carefully have to plan my shopping, and if I needed
> >> kitty litter or icecream (and the latter is always very urgent, and
> >> needs to be frequently bought), then I couldn't get anything else

> > Which reminds me.. I need to get something from the freezer..
> > back in a jiffy..

> Damn you!
>
> <AOL>Me too!!11!!</AOL>

My dehydration headache is just starting to go away.. :-S

hippy
- needs more ice-related products

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 at 07:24 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> hippy
> - needs more ice-related products

I endorse this product and/or service.

I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when under
stress. I repeat myself when under stress. I repeat myself when

[email protected] wrote:

> A good friend of mine has moved recently and is now 12km's from his
> place of work. He lives in Upwey and works in Scoresby; apparently
> there's a pretty good cycle path he can use.
>
> He's pretty much a couch potato and keen to do something about it.
> Naturally I want to do as much as I can to make the transition to car
> bound couch potato to freedom machine enjoying cyclist as painless as
> possible. What follows is a working draft on what I think he should
> sort out. If I've left anything glaring out, please comment :)

SNIP

I got a friend into commuting too - good luck!

A couple of other ideas:
- Spray-proof jacket
- Mudguards (if he can live with the dagginess)

How are his skills for riding in traffic? Even simple skills like
indicating & looking behind without swerving might need a bit of
practice. This may be overkill for his commute and stage of
"transition", but the best website I've found on this is
http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/ Just needs a bit of
"conversion" from USA to Oz.

I would consider myself a fairly new commuter. My first bike in over 30
years was a mountain bike, it was a ***** to ride to work. Looking back now
I realise that the guy in the bike shop did me a great diservice, it cost me
over $700 and was a great bike off road, but I am in my 40s and just wanted
to get back on a bike! So after struggling up and down the hills to work, I
slowly but surely gave the bike riding up. Earlier this year we got out our
old tandem, did up the gears, bought new seats, got bike pants, and away we
went for a 200kms weekend!!!! I came home stuffed, and by the following
weekend we were off again - now it is effortless on the tandem, and a 250kms
weekend with full panniers for a nights camp is achievable now. We went on a
850kms ride over 6 days and to me it was a declaration of "I can do
anything!" I came home, sold the mountain bike, and bought a hybrid. It has
mudguards (better than dirty back and legs) hubby gave me a computer, I said
"what a waste of money!" . Now it is my prized possession, and I have just
clocked up my first 1000kms on the new bike, fastest speed is 51kph downhill
with magpie in hot pursuit! LOL. And bike pants make life bearable, I would
suggest any newbie get bike pants early in the piece.I now go the long way
home from work, and clock up at least 25kms each day. I have LED lights, a
comfy helmet, and just love my bike. I think the biggest thing about getting
started is a feeling of complete elation on the day you realise "I can do
that" and the best way to do that is by buying a bike that suits what you
want out of it. BTW this bike only cost me $450. Of all the things that I
bought and treasure most, the bike pants are way up there at number 1,
followed by the computer, and my seat!
Goodluck to the newbie, my bike gear is waiting for me in the morning, I
wouldnt be without my bike now..
kathy.

A good friend of mine has moved recently and is now 12km's from his
place of work. He lives in Upwey and works in Scoresby; apparently
there's a pretty good cycle path he can use.

<snip>
--
Cheers
Euan

Everyone has covered the equipment perrt much.
Upwey to Scoresby = quick trip to work, slower return home. A good commute if he can manage the climb home each day. He could also catch the train at Upper FTG if he can't face the climb?

-B "past hill's dweller"

Commuting is funny for me really.
Back when I first got into it in 1989, going from St Albans to West Melbourne 9to5, bike lanes/paths were few & far between. I got a MTB & loaded it with all the commuter accessories, lights, bells, computer,'guards, racks, slickest tyres available etc etc. Did that for ages happy as larry.
Nowadays with the onset of linked-up bike paths, bike lanes & ramps everywhere (instead of stairs) , my regular commute has shed much of the stuff I orgianlly set up on it, with only really a rear tailight & nothing else (even dropped all the gears/derailuers - single gear). Sure my route has changed now (Flemington > City), but if I take the scenic route (city bike trail) I hardly run into traffic which really frees up my approah to riding now - almost good enough to be illegal.

euan> A good friend of mine has moved recently and is now 12km's
euan> from his place of work. He lives in Upwey and works in
euan> Scoresby; apparently there's a pretty good cycle path he can
euan> use.

Thanks all for your input. I've pointed my mate to this thread, reckon
that'd be more enlightening for him than me trying to summarize it all.
--
Cheers
Euan

"just us" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I would consider myself a fairly new commuter. My first bike in over
> 30 years was a mountain bike, it was a ***** to ride to work. Looking
> back now I realise that the guy in the bike shop did me a great
> diservice, it cost me over $700 and was a great bike off road, but I
> am in my 40s and just wanted to get back on a bike! So after
> struggling up and down the hills to work, I slowly but surely gave
> the bike riding up.

Why didn't you just put slicks on it?

--

A: Top-posters.

DRS said:
"just us" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I would consider myself a fairly new commuter. My first bike in over
> 30 years was a mountain bike, it was a ***** to ride to work. Looking
> back now I realise that the guy in the bike shop did me a great
> diservice, it cost me over $700 and was a great bike off road, but I
> am in my 40s and just wanted to get back on a bike! So after
> struggling up and down the hills to work, I slowly but surely gave
> the bike riding up.

Why didn't you just put slicks on it?

--

A: Top-posters.

[cheeky]If he's strugging _down_ hills as well as up, then I suggest he adjusts the brakes[/cheeky]

Slicks are a pretty good option, especially if he can fit (say) 28mm slicks on the MTB rims... is that size too narrow for such a thing?

The OP might also wish to try getting a more aero seating position - handlebars down a little, seat up higher... replace flat bars with drops?... add aero bars? Clipless pedals? I guess the costs add up - slicks are pretty cost-effective...

Ritch