front derailler

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Terry, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Terry

    Terry Guest

    I have an old Trek 2300 with the shimano 600 group. My front derailler died. So here are the
    questions: 1. The 600 is an 8 speed group. Is there any real difference between 8 and 9 speed
    deraillers. 2. The seat tube on the 2300 has a 1 3/8" diameter. When replacing the derailler, can I
    use a "braze on" with the old clamp or do I have to find a derailler which comes with a clamp. I
    wasn't sure about the compatibility of different deraillers with the existing clamp. Any help would
    be appreciated.

    Terry

    Tags:

  2. Rb

    Rb Guest

    If I understand your question #2 correctly---If your old clamp is still in good condition, you
    should be able to use a braze-on type derailleur with it.

    The availability of 1-3/8 inch clamp-on derailleurs is limited. I had to buy a 1-3/8 inch clamp and
    separate braze-on derailleur when I built up an old Litespeed frameset recently. I found a nice
    Shimano clamp of the right size in a box of older parts at a local shop. I'm not sure if Shimano
    still makes it.

    r.b.

  3. Terry wrote:
    > I have an old Trek 2300 with the shimano 600 group. My front derailler died. So here are the
    > questions: 1. The 600 is an 8 speed group. Is there any real difference between 8 and 9 speed
    > deraillers. 2. The seat tube on the 2300 has a 1 3/8" diameter. When replacing the derailler, can
    > I use a "braze on" with the old clamp or do I have to find a derailler which comes with a clamp. I
    > wasn't sure about the compatibility of different deraillers with the existing clamp. Any help
    > would be appreciated.
    >
    > Terry
    to aswer the other question, there isn't much practical diff between the 8 and 9 sp ders. the 9sp
    cage is a little narrower and is slightly different in shape. if i understand you, you want to put
    the 9sp der on with an 8 sp group? it will work fine, y'll just have to spend a little more care
    setting up the front adjustments to prevent chain rub because of the narrow cage.